Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ Capture ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The rain that had poured upon Cadeyn as she made her way into Hemlin rejoined her as they left Shades Merchants. During the few moments that the heavy rain did not plague them, wind and hail did. Now and again, they would stop to take cover under any group of tree's they could find until the storm calmed down. By nightfall the sky had finally cleared, but the ground was sluggish and muddy. They eventually chose a small group of trees in which they would sleep under. After settling their horses down, Cadeyn slumped against the tree. Her eyes refused to stay open for more than a few moments at a time, barely remaining awake. She gave a small smile at her exhausted companion who sat beside her.
“Well, I doubt there is any point in making a fire. The wood here would be far to wet to light.” Sai nodded in agreement.
”Cadeyn, get some rest. I'll take the first watch. There isn't much to look for in this area anyway. I used to camp around these areas as a kid.” Cadeyn shrugged, watching Sai stretch out before taking her watch. ”Thanks, Sai...” Sighing, Cadeyn watched the stars as she fell asleep, thinking to herself. `I know you're out there somewhere Jaser. I know you're not being foolish…' A tear rolled down her face slowly, wrapping her arms around herself. Somehow she wished he was there to keep her warm.
 
It was late in the night when Cadeyn first awoke. First she thought she heard a whimper, and then it sounded like more of a rustle. Remembering where she was, her eyes flew open. The sky had clouded over again, leaving no light from the moon. She felt groggy, exhausted, and her back ached from all the riding. Then it hit her. Saiena was missing. There was no sound, no-one beside her. Nothing. Bolting upright, she looked around. Silently begging for her eyes to re-adjust, she shook her head. The horses had been untied. She could make the outline of one walking away - or was it being led? Cadeyn slowly drew her sword as quietly as possible. Something wasn't right. Bracing herself, she listened for any sound. She could hear someone walking with a horse in the distance. Wherever they were going, it was no where near Calenbree. They were headed south. Suspicious she re-sheathed her sword, instead opting for a small dagger. Was Sai trying to escape? What was she planning? As quietly as she could, she kept her distance, left her pack and followed them. Whatever was happening wasn't good. `I shouldn't have slept. I should have kept the first watch.' She thought to herself. Her target was picking up pace. `They've probably seen me.' She frowned `Or heard me.' The grass was getting thicker and taller, making it harder for either party to keep quiet. Eventually they came to the edge of the grass, which turned into a thin cobbled path. The path led on, towards a walled town. She stopped for a moment, trying to figure out where she was. She hadn't traveled too far to reach the town, so why didn't Sai take her there to stay the night? Did she deliberately ignore the town here? She spotted a dimly lit sign under a lantern. `Orches Crest' was painted and peeling. A flicker of recognition waved over Cadeyn. She remembered the name from somewhere - perhaps it was featured in one of Kemp's stories? But, she was sure it wasn't on the map Saiena gave her. She thought for a moment. Maybe that was why Sai didn't stop here. Maybe she didn't know it existed. She slowly snuck out from the tall grasses and tried to blend in the shadows as she followed the horse. In the dim light she realized that the figure wasn't Sai after all - a tall man with dark hair slowly led the horse by foot. Odd, she thought. In the distance she noticed something - another horse, lying on the ground. Still. A second later, she realized it was Saiena's. Drawing her sword, she drew in a burst of courage to confront the man.
”You! Stop!” The moment she spoke, she heard a slight whizzing sound in the air. She tumbled to the ground, her head suddenly feeling raw, heavy and hot. She opened her eyes for a moment, realising she could taste blood mixed with the dirt on the ground. Then it all went dark.
 
 
 
“Saiena. You did well.” Saiena groaned. Her head spun. The last thing she remembered, she was thinking of waking Cadeyn to take the next watch. Then something hit her. Hard. All of a sudden, she was here, in a tent.
“I've been here before” she murmured, looking around. Her things were in a heap beside her. She sat up, holding the side of her head, feeling dried blood. The thumping sensation made her screw her face up and let out a moan. Her eyes closed tightly, trying to block out the pain.
”Saiena sweetheart, I missed you. Did you miss me?” Saiena's eyes flew open, her head pounding.
”I hate you.” Dark eyes smiled at Saiena.
”That's no way to talk to your father, Saiena.” A hard boot kicked at her side, a deep chuckle filling her ears.
”You're, not, my, Father.” She spat the words at him between breaths. “I wish they killed you in Varshore. I wish they made you suffer.” He laughed at her, pushing her back onto the floor.
“Saiena, Saiena… what will we do with you? And Cadeyn! I see that witch of a daughter was traveling with you! Such a reunion! What did she do? Did she like knowing she still had family? Did she call you dear sister?” He laughed at her face as she regained her composure. “But of course you didn't tell her. You didn't tell her that her father slept with other women and had another daughter. You didn't tell her that giving birth to females was allowed at the crest. That being an outcast was completely unnecessary for her. You didn't tell her you're a thief. She just thinks you're just another girl. She thinks her father was just a drunken fool who killed her mother.” Marcus laughed. “Foolish Girl. Just like her foolish mother. It doesn't matter. She will be executed for her crimes tomorrow.” Saiena tried to keep her head from thumping to let things sink in. The only place she could be executed would be Orches Crest. The city of thieves.
”You wouldn't kill your own daughter. You're not that stupid.” Marcus laughed
”Are you calling me stupid girl? I was at the market whole time, and neither of you spotted me. You even stopped to tell your own Brother all you knew!” Saiena closed her eyes, trying to block him out as he kicked her again. Brother…of course…she remembered now…she remembered.
 
“Hey There” Saiena smiled at the dark haired man sitting beside her at the Inn. He seemed familiar somehow with dark hair and dark eyes.
”Hello” He smiled at her, “I haven't seen you around before.” Saiena
smiled.
”Well, nice
to meet you, I'm Saiena, I've spent most of my time traveling. I'm accompanying a friend to follow the Quandary. We leave for Calenbree at daybreak. We think they are headed that way.” He smiled, a look of concern on his face.
”Why are you
following the Crusade? Do you wish to join them?” Saiena shook her head.
”No. They rejected me because of my heritage. Cadeyn on the other hand is going to request her men return to the village. That, and I think she fancies one of the men.” She let out a smile, trying to figure out why he looked so familiar. She rested her hand on his,
noticing a long scar. She looked at for a moment, trying to figure out where she had seen it before.
”So, what's your name, stranger?” He
smiled and pulled away from her lightly.
”I am sorry Miss
...I would love to stay and chat, but I really should be getting back now. How about when you're done chasing the Quandary you come visit me sometime?” He let out a smile. Feeling her insides melt, she smiled back.
”Sure thing.”
 
The realisation she was talking to her brother hit her. It had been several years since she had seen him last, and time had not been kind. She gagged slightly, still holding the side of her head. The scar on his hand…he was cut during thieving practice. She finally worked it all out. She caused this. If she didn't say anything to him, they wouldn't have known where she was going. Dread filled her. Of course it was her brother, only he looked, different. Marcus smirked.
”Stupid woman. You put your stupid feelings before your safety. You're all like it. Cadeyn's mother was the same. So was yours.” He continued to laugh.
”There are guards at your door. Think about running away and you will be slaughtered with your sister. The only reason you got away was because the general wishes to see you after the execution.” Saiena groaned. She had to get out of this. The second darkness fell, she'd escape. She had no other choice.
 
 
When Cadeyn awoke, the first thing she realised was that her mouth was dry, filled with dried blood and dirt. She was lying face down on a stone floor. Pushing herself onto her knees, she spat out the dirt and grime.
”You're awake.” She looked up, pain searing through her head. She had been knocked out. She didn't even realise someone had followed her, she was too busy stalking the man with the horse. She turned to the sound of a voice. All around her, she realised, was bars. Surrounded by one stone wall, and three barred ones. She was in some sort of prison. In the cell next to her was a pale women dressed in white, hands clasped together on her knee.
”Who are you?” She croaked out. Her mouth and throat were still dry.
”There's a bowl of water and a piece of bread by your door. You get one daily until your execution.” Confused, Cadeyn turned towards the door. Sure enough, there was a bowl of water and dry bread. Taking a gulp, she turned back to the woman.
”Why are you here?” she asked “What have you done?” She frowned, confused
”I don't know…My friend was taken…missing. Someone had my horse…I followed them here.” She looked around her. The cells reeked of mildew, sweat and blood.
”What was you're friends name?” She asked gently as Cadeyn looked around.
”Saiena…she was my traveling companion.” She turned back to the woman.
”Ah. I see.” The woman remained neutral, watching her.
”Why? Where is she?” The woman sighed to herself.
”She was brought up here. You are in Orches Crest, city of thieves. You see, she was wanted by the leaders here. If she was spotted, she was to be brought back here.” Cadeyn felt anger boiling inside of her.
”How do you know her? What are you talking about? I barely know her.” The woman shook her head.
”How much do you know about her?” The woman asked. Cadeyn shook her head
”Not much. Not much at all.” Cadeyn hit her fist against the ground, frustrated.
”Child. Dear Child. Many years ago now, in desperate need, a woman came here from Hemlin. Her name was Caroline. She was with two newborn children. Twins. One, however, was a girl. In fear, she brought her to us. She was afraid of the father, afraid he would kill her - she cried about laws of newborn children. She begged for protection, so, we protected her from the outside world. Saiena and Carahel were brought up as thieves and served us well. When they came of age, her mother reappeared. Soon, both Saiena and her mother disappeared. They were curious of her disappearance, but not concerned. Not too much longer, perhaps an hour or two, a stranger arrived. He spoke to the elders of his wife disguising a child as a boy. He told them of how he had discussed this with his mistress, Caroline, hours before. Caroline, was Saiena's mother. Before that point, she had only allowed him access to his son in Orches Crest. He did not know she had given birth to twins. Terrified that he had found her out, she admitted her crime and fled. They then realised why Saiena had disappeared with her mother. The stranger had come to find his daughter and planned to murder her. From there he was hired to find her, and bring her home. They assured him, she would be executed for betrayal on her return. He would be heavily rewarded upon her execution. He found her several times, but she kept on slipping out of his grasp. I do believe he is bringing her tomorrow after, ah, your execution.” Cadeyn's eyebrows knotted together, while she bit on her lip.
”His name…it wasn't Marcus…was it?” Cadeyn forgot about her pounding head, ignored the last words, and thought.
”Something like that...” She replied, watching her with curiosity.
”What...Oh…What the…For Aemeil's sake…” She slammed her fist into the stone wall.
”You shouldn't speak the god's names in vain.” She smiled, watching her. “What happened to you? How do you know her father?”
”Marcus was, or is, my father. That would mean Saiena is my sister. Saiena knew exactly who she was.”