Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Akasaka Moon ❯ Sunflowers ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Sunflowers

I waited outside my Mother's bedroom. Doctor Akai walked out ten minutes later. I looked up at him after he closed the door after him.

“How is she?” I asked.

“Good,” he said. “Just get her to keep taking her medication every night and she'll go back to normal. I tried to smile. He has no real idea of what her “normal” is. I thought about telling him that, but really, what would be the point? He turned to leave when I looked up at the old doctor.

“Doctor Akai,” I spoke up. He looked over his shoulder.

“What is it, boy?” he asked. I shrugged my shoulders. The older man breathed hard.

“Speak, boy! I haven't got all day!” he snapped. I swallowed hard and shut my eyes.

“I want to understand girls!” I blurted out. He turned and looked at me with a puzzled look.

“Is that all?” he asked.

“Yes!” I said with a red face. Doctor Akai didn't speak, but then I opened my eyes when I heard him laughing at me. His beard bounced with each laugh. I tilted my head, blinking. Juriko laughing at me was one thing, but hearing the doctor laughing at me felt wrong on so many levels.

“What?” I asked. He shook his head, smiling as he patted me on the shoulder.

“Oh, you poor kid,” the doctor said. “You have a long ways to go before you can even begin to think that you understand them!” I blinked at him.

“What do you mean?” I asked. Doctor Akai tried not to laugh at me again.

“We will have this talk again so time later,” he said. “But right now, I have to go. I've got three more patients to visit today. I'll be back to check on your mother next week.” That old snake just walked out the door. I blinked for what felt like the longest time in my life.

“Huh?” I asked. We never did get have that conversation. He just avoided me with work, drinking, and his studies. He knew how to avoid awkward conversations.