Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 35

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part thirty-four
 
Gwen slid the car into the flow of traffic to the city's recreation district, the elegant Asian woman smiling to herself wryly. Beth's casual flash of skin had unsettled her a bit, and if she was honest, had excited her as well.
 
"I'm glad you wore your suit tonight," Beth commented softly as they drove through the high class upper levels, "you look good in them."
 
Gwen felt warm, glad that she didn't blush easily. "Thank you," she softly answered as she smoothly cruised up a ramp, "though I always thought I looked scary."
 
Beth actually smirked, "I think that's part of your charm."
 
"I think I'll just leave that alone," Gwen remarked.
 
The soft chuckle that came from the passenger seat of the little sports car was gentle as Beth said, "Actually, I think it's part of your charm."
 
There was a soft beep from the car's map-screen then the artificial intelligence softly said, "Nearing destination, Ms. Harris."
 
"Do you have the access pass for your reservation?" Gwen asked as they neared the gate to the high level building.
 
"Of course," Beth smiled and produced a wafer thin clear card with a holographic rose on it, passing it over to Gwen.
 
Smoothly Gwen passed it over the scanner, the barricade raising to let them in even as the voice said, "Beth Harris and Gwen Musashi, priority A reservations."
 
"High security here," Gwen noted as they slid into a lift, the car being carried up even farther before autodrive systems parked them in a spot.
 
Beth surprised Gwen a bit by getting out first and going around to open up Gwen's door. She smirked at Gwen's reaction, "Well, I was the one who invited you out."
 
"Of course," Gwen conceded.
 
"All the security makes sense," Beth commented as they walked away from the car over to the doors together, the smaller woman holding onto Gwen's arm, "considering the wealth of some of the people who eat here."
 
"Fair enough," Gwen conceded. She looked down at Beth thoughtfully as she said, "I'm not sure I want to know how you got reservations here."
 
"Easy as pie," Beth purred, "I hacked them." As Gwen gave her a startled look Beth chuckled, "I'm doing some computer security work on the side, and the Rose has been suffering some incursions recently. I helped upgrade their defenses in exchange for cash upfront and tonight."
 
"Please don't scare me like that," Gwen murmured to her as they entered a beautifully decorated entrance way.
 
"Welcome Ms. Harris," the green haired android at the door smiled, taking in Gwen and her computer brain quickly looking up a file, "and Ms. Musashi, I hope that you'll enjoy your meal tonight." She gestured, "She will escort you to your table."
 
"Please follow me," the pink haired android bowed slightly, turning to lead them into the restaurant itself.
 
Designed after a building from more than two hundred years old, it held a regal sort of charm that was almost intimidating. Wood paneling, soft carpets and hanging lights made it feel like another world, the layout helping minimize the sounds of other guests.
 
The round table was lit from above, two chairs waiting in the corner by the window. Beth and Gwen each took their seats, the pink haired woman smiling down at them warmly as she pulled a simple notepad from a pocket in her uniform skirt. "You have a meal plan on file, Ms. Harris," she said brightly, "do you want to make any changes?"
 
"It should be fine as it stands," Beth smiled back at her automatically, "could you deliver the first course after we've had a drink?"
 
"Of course," the waitress agreed, "what are your preferences?"
 
"Sake, if you please," Gwen said at Beth's silent prompting.
 
"Some wine," Beth finished and the android slid away silently, only to return a moment later with a chilled glass for Beth and a warmed container and saucer for Gwen.
 
"I'm impressed," Gwen murmured softly once the android was gone, looking out a moment at the stars and the tops of the giant towers that made up the city.
 
Beth flashed a smile, "I'm glad, I wanted us to do something that was new to you." She reached out to carefully pour Gwen's first drink for her, "Not easy, considering what little I've been able to find out about you."
 
"And what was that?" Gwen asked her a little warily, knowing what sort of things that Beth could do with computers.
 
Beth gave her a scolding look, "I kept it legal, only a surface check."
 
"Sorry," Gwen gave her a smile.
 
"S'allright," Beth admitted, "I'm still a bit sensitive about that, I guess." She waited until the waitress delivered the first course before continuing to speak, "But I do think I put together a good overview of your public life."
 
"Hmm?" Gwen took a bite of the pasta, savoring the spicy flavor.
 
"Raised by your moderately successful family, shipped off to private academy for college and then university," Beth recited the facts from memory, "but when you were of legal age you joined the United Nations Armed Forces for the standard two year tour. After that you went into the Japan Self Defense forces, though I don't know the exact time you left, and I suspect that was the first time you had to fight androids."
 
"I'm not going to confirm that," Gwen said, feeling just a bit impressed. She didn't even think the department knew that much.
 
"You went into the police academy about seven years ago and ran the accelerated course, finishing in only a few months," Beth said. She smiled, "It wasn't that long after we began to run into each other, on the job so to speak."
 
"It was one of my toughest cases when I was transferred to the electronic crimes department," Gwen remembered fondly.
 
Beth leaned forward, meeting Gwen's eyes frankly as she softly said, "Personally, I'm glad that I met you."
 
A waitress brought the next dish, the vat-grown steaks smelling wonderful. Gwen waited until she was far enough away to ask Beth, "Why did you give up so easily, back then? I really didn't have all that much evidence against you."
 
Beth pretended to look shocked, "No!"
 
Gwen gave her a look, "Seriously, why?"
 
Beth cut her steak, chewing on the piece to give her a few moments to decide how best to reply. "I looked into your eyes that day," she finally said, "in that dinky little office you were working out of then, and I realized something. You weren't going to give up, you'd keep going after me until you did busted me."
 
It was odd, of the compliments she had been given over the years, this one hit Gwen the most. She actually blushed, managing to say, "I wasn't that bad."
 
Beth looked at her warmly, "You aren't the type to give up until you've gotten what you want." She paused, "A lot like I am."
 
Gwen almost knew she shouldn't ask, but as she finished a bite she just had to do it. "And what do you want?" her voice was quiet in the room.
 
Beth reached out, gently laying her hand on Gwen's. "You," she said softly.
 
"I thought you were the party girl," Gwen felt her defenses going up automatically, "with dates lined up around the corner."
 
"I guess I deserved that," Beth winced, pulling back her hand.
 
Gwen reached out, grasping it and giving a gentle squeeze, "No you didn't, that was a cheap shot." A breath, "I'm sorry."
 
Beth smiled back tentatively, "You take what you can get, especially if you know you can't get what you want." She looked a little sheepish and continued, "And to be honest, I was scared stiff about asking you out, too."
 
"I've done my best to maintain my distance," Gwen conceded. She studied Beth a moment, "I'm not ready to leap into a relationship, especially considering my track record, but I would like to go out with you again."
 
"Really?" Beth smiled happily.
 
"No promises," Gwen quickly cautioned her, "but I'd like to try."
 
To be continued....