Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Goodbye ❯ Forever Goodbye ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Forever Goodbye
Hikari had gotten used to, at some point, the way the wind blew through the town cemetery. How it seemed to bypass the few trees and the many stones just to rest on the people that stood out there for the loved ones they missed. It struck her as an understanding `I know you're here and I'm glad' type feeling. The case of glass bottles clinked beside the gravestone, drawing her back from the refreshing wind and its howling effect in the lonely area. She looked back to her brother's grave. Over the years it had gotten a lot easier to look at, to take in that a boy younger than herself would never take another breath of the air that drew pass him. The hit and run killing had left her numb to her technical half brother; this was the first year she could say she'd visited for reasons other than venting. Feeling both awkward and yet at ease, she patted the headstone slightly before she grabbed a glass bottled and popped the cap open. She hesitated bringing it to her mouth. Even with all the changes she'd gone through, she was not blind to what this looked like. As if her brother's spirit was watching, she ran her bandaged hand through her auburn hair in sheepish understanding.
“Okay, okay. I know what this looks like, but really, I ain't that stupid. Drunk driver kills you; I go and drink at your grave? I don't think so. It's root beer.” Unbidden, the visions of the accident flashed before her eyes. The squealing of tires echoed in her sensitive ears. Her brother's body flying in the air, sneakers falling off as the car began to fly away. She shook her head violently to clear her thoughts. She took a sip, before checking the cemetery. When her different colored eyes told her she was alone, she gave into the strange idea tossing back and forth in her head. Popping open another glass bottle, and popping a straw she'd taken from her home inside, she placed it on the gravestone. She arched an eyebrow at the sight she'd made before muttering,
“Feels like a frickin' offering….” Sighing she sipped at her drink again before turning her head, so only the green right eye faced her brother.
“You used to always love these. Ever since `Tousan, yeah I'm callin' him that now since I have what? Three fathers?” she shook her head, “Since `Tousan gave us root beer. And you smiled so much that day. Came home with a stomach ache, and sheshook her head at the three of us. You didn't care, you still wanted more.Always wanted more, even as time passed and she didn't always like it. Hikari shook her head and took another sip. Their mother was a loaded topic, a way to ruin fond memories and happier days.
“I tried to bring Mic, my stepbrother `cause she remarried y'know, but he had something he had to do. He really couldn't get out of it. I bet he'd have rather met you. He's nice, y'know, drinks a little and is way to realistic and rooted in his religion, but he's not gonna let me down. I graduated in May, the band won all its state competitions in my four years. It's quite an accomplishment. Oh, I broke the running back's clavicle. Mic got me out of that. There's so much you don't know…,” The wind whipped past her again, tugging at her baggy shirt and pulling at her khaki shorts.
She turned, the glinting of her fangs and the swish of her tail readied her for the next part of the conversation.
“But you've got to re-meet me first I suppose. Get the story straight. I….” she stopped, and overwhelming sensation filling her. “I know you're gone, that I already said goodbye and it was forever. I know you can't hear me, cause there's no reason for you to have stayed, and my aunt says you didn't and that's good, but,” she knelt down to the stone, “but with each thing I find out, I have to revise my goodbye. `Cause I love you, river deep, mountain high,” she whispered, wolfish ears going to lay flat on her head. One of these days, her goodbye would be done and final.
“Why are they lowering that scrap of cloth?” She jumped and focused blue and green eyes on the albino Honor Bound behind her.
“It's a flag, and they must be honoring something…,” She whispered looking back at the flag that now flew at half mast,“Or saying goodbye.”
“Isn't that what you're trying to do?” the Honor Bound asked in his often knowing voice. Her eyes widened, and she looked back to place a hand on the cool granite. Eyes closing, she smiled.
“Yes I am.” She leaned against her brother, and Noishe crawled into her arms. The wind swept past.
When she walked into her home at sundown, she found her step brother sitting in the living room. He was tossing his silver flask hand to hand, his tabby cat lying in his lap. His brown eyes traveled to her as she and Noishe came in. When he tossed the flask of alcohol again, she snatched. Grabbing one of the remaining root beers she handed it to him. He stared for a moment before opening it and taking a sip. Hikari sat down next to him. He said nothing, sipping the soda as he sipped his vodka, slow but steady. A storm came, the warm sunny day being replaced. Mic's tabby didn't move, and Noishe moved into his Bonded's lap. Hikari didn't speak until the first crack of thunder.
“I said goodbye Miccy,” she whispered. Her half Russian stepbrother snorted at that.
“You talk to the headstone girl, of course you said goodbye.” But Hikari didn't make another sound. Mic swirled his soda in the glass bottle, and didn't move when she rested her head on his shoulder.
The rain began falling. A quick and steady pattern. Thunder began to rumble and flashes brightened the room. Mic rested his head against hers.
 
“I am demon, and I will live beyond the span of this granite stone. Beyond the trappings of the human realm, my family and my future lie. I'm sorry but I must give you my Forever goodbye.”