Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ It's Better If You Do ❯ Chapter 1 (chapter not completed) ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It’s Better If You Do

This was stupid, dumb, and immature and our options were going to be gravely regretting. The twinkle in her eye only meant that it was going to happen whether I didn’t want it to happen or not. Knowing my good friend for five years, this is going to have to go according to her. Tonight, though, I didn’t feel like being a push-over. Maybe tomorrow, but not tonight. A sly smirk dabbles over her pink, thin lips. Oh no.
“C’mon, comrade. Just tonight and that’s it.” I didn’t like the unnecessary nickname.
I bit my lip, going over second thoughts. “I’m not sure.” But it was too late. She had stripped down into some black sweats, a black hoodie and some ankle length black shoes. She was ready. “This doesn’t sound like a good idea. Not tonight anyways.”
She scoffs. “Don’t be a party pooper. Get dress!” She threw me the same matching dull clothing as her. “And don’t start moping around.”
See, ever since we watched movies that involved someone trying to solve a mystery, we were intrigued by it, the whole ‘sneaking near someone’s window on a tree branch thing. We felt if we could discover some dirt on someone then boom, we’ve found something out that no one from our high school would know yet. Plus, the whole spying thing sounded cool and was a cool occupation for two fifteen year old teens like ourselves. We had no job, so why not call it an occupation for now?
As soon as I got dressed, I pulled my jet black hair into a bun on the top of my head. I started at my full sized mirror and observed myself from head to toe. Sighing, I take a black bandana hanging off of my drawer and wrapped half of my face only exposing my eyes and the skin surrounding my eyes. Another night, another victim. Whoever it was this time, better be prepared for some dishing out tomorrow.
“Ready?” She already had my window opened and the night breeze pierced the skin between my eyes.
I shrugged, unwillingly shuffling after her. After hearing her land with a soft thud, I carefully watched my footing and made sure to dig my heel into the crack of this ancient tree. I pulled down on my window and it closed quietly. I turned back at my heel to carefully grab the same branch and jump off. I gulped something I would always do just in case I didn’t land right. I closed my eyes and felt the wind slap my face. I jumped and flailed my arms in mid air and finally felt the balls of my feet hit the ground.
I could hear Hailey laughing from a distance. “Hurry up, yo!” She commanded.
Dusting my hands on my sweats, I scurried after the blonde haired master-mind and jumped into her vans passenger seat. With the engine roaring to life quite loudly, she drove off already having a certain person in mind.
If you’re dying to know; we are not in some form of spying organization. We just like to spy on some people and mind you it’s not our enemies who we’d spy on. Heck, enemies are the last thing on our ‘who’s-there-to-spy-on’ list. By all experience, we figured our enemies would only sum up to stupid drama. Drama plus us equal no bueno.
We pulled up by a white picket fence. Nothing to be obsessing about due to the fact that it’s just a white fence, but the colossal looking house from a few houses down was something. I had no clue which street this was or whose huge house that belonged too, but Hailey did. That determined look in her coal black eyes burned through my olive ones.
“Uh, whose house is that?” I asked before any quick demands.
She shakes her head. “You’ll see.” She exits the vehicle and opens the double doors to the back part of the aged van. She takes out the usual; some rusty, worn out binoculars, and this ridiculously small device to hear someone’s conversation by a mile in a radius. It worked, but it had it’s times of lacking cooperation. “You coming or what?”
Tonight’s plan didn’t sound right. Something was bound to happen. It could be that I might fall off a tree again, talk too loud or accidently unwrap the bandana off my face. And I wasn’t even that pale. “I have a bad feeling about this.”
“You always have bad feelings.” She mocked. After handing me the stupid hearing device, she followed us to the house. Half of the loaded houses’ lights were still on, but the other side of the house with darkness filled in the windows is where we plan to avoid. “Start the device up.”
It took us at least two minutes to climb this tree we were straddling on. Thankfully, I hadn’t fallen yet. I fumbled with the device trying to pick up any sound waves from inside the house. As we waited for it to pick up, Hailey leaned her chest against the tree branch and slipped the binoculars around her eyes. The light shined in a small room with a pink themed bed, a wooden drawer and some blonde haired girl sitting on her floor with a phone hold against her ear and her shoulder.
“That’s–“
“Yep.” Hailey replied before I got the chance to finish asking. “You shouldn’t be surprised.” She murmured in annoyance.
I scoffed held aback by her change of attitude. No matter where we see this chick, her mood changes and she’ll act pissy for a whole day. I think one of the main reasons why I don’t like her was for the sudden changes in Hailey’s mood. Very bipolar, if you ask me.
The signal started picking up. Weird, it’d usually pick up in no less than a minute. This time, it took a good three minutes to pick up. I shook the device to shake the bugs out, but nothing changed. Static crackled lightly in Hailey’s and I’s headphones. It could be from all the times we’ve used it so much that it’s on its last leg.
Giggles crowded our ear drums, but I guess I was the only one who flinched. From the corner of my eyes, Hailey was still glued to the binoculars. She was listening intently into this persons chat and nothing else seemed to distract her. It’s almost like I can see the anger stiffening inside her causing uproar into her deep thoughts.
And when we hear our names exit the victim’s mouths, it was like we were destined to be there at that very moment.
“Who, Hailey?” The blonde chick questioned to the person on the other line. “I don’t know. She has a problem with me and she’s too much of a chicken to even come up and say it to my face.”
I swallowed nervous spit. If this blonde chick keeps going on, I think this tree branch will break.
“I think it’s because I stole her boyfriend like two years ago. She still holds that against me. I mean, come on! That was two freaking years ago!”
Hailey didn’t react much. She was as still as a statue and it was sort of worrying me. I volume half of the device down making sure this chick doesn’t say much for Hailey to catch.
“Not really. She’s cool, but she doesn’t talk much. But when she hangs out with her, it’s like they formed their own little posse.” I assumed she was talking about me,