Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Juujin ❯ Timeline ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
1978: Female births began to notably outnumber male births, with an increase in the number of female twins and triplets.

1983: The male/female ratio reaches a point of imbalance, with females outnumbering males around 2 to 1, depending on location.

1993: Dating trends see a heavy shift towards multiple female partners per male as result of the increasingly skewed gender ratio as next the generation starts to come of age.

1996: The gender imbalance stabilizes, ending with a 4 to 1 female to male ratio on average.

2000: The first cases of threshold begin, introducing juujin to the world. While wide spread, initial numbers remain low, and public knowledge remains limited. Most juujin tend to remain hidden as they try to understand and cope with their unexplained transformation. Those that do go public tend to be disregarded outside of their immediate local, dismissed as hoaxes.

2002: The Superhero Period is considered to officially begin. While a handful of juujin embraced their new powers as reason or excuse to become real life superheroes earlier, wide spread acceptance of the actual existence of these individuals did not come until mid ‘02. Several of these superheroes reach celebrity status, which prompts many other juujin to attempt the role as well. Results are largely mixed, and the actual immediate and long term effects of these superheroes are still debated. Most juujin managed only short runs as superheroes due to the inherent differences between reality and comics.

2003: The Hero Registration Committee is formed in the US as an attempt to reign in and impose control over the various superheroes currently acting outside of the law. It meets with mixed results, but none-the-less gains a good deal of public support, and even backing from some heroes interested in legalizing their actions and restricting some of the more extreme vigilante activity.

2004: The Superhero Period reaches it peak activity early in the year, but quickly destabilizes and begins a rapid decline for various social, political, and legal reasons, the weight of each towards this sudden drop off is an issue still hotly debated. The superhero period officially comes to a an end late in the year, starting with the US declaring an amnesty against all previous superhero activity for all heroes who “give up the mask.” With things already in a vicious downward spiral, the majority of the superhero community jumps at the opportunity, prompting similar offers from many other nations.

2005: The term juujin, beast woman, enters into wide spread and popular usage following the release of a Japanese produced documentary, “Hidden in Plain View.” While beginning as an inside view into the lives of former superheroes, the film shifted focus as the investigators uncovered just how large and involved in day to day life the juujin population had become, and yet how little people really knew of them, or acknowledged their existence. The documentary was hugely successful, highly translated, and widely considered “vital knowledge” for the public at large. Some twenty odd minutes of the film, dealing directly with juujin powers, sexual needs, and general mentality was re-cut and re-edited into the “Juujin FAQ”, and became one of the most viewed/downloaded viral videos ever to hit the Internet.

2006: The Hero Registration Committee becomes the Humanist Party following a brief lull of inactivity following the decline of the Superhero Period. With the newly wide spread understanding of juujin numbers and abilities, the Party gains significant backing and support in it’s goals of making America “juujin safe”.

2007: The “Juujin issue” becomes a central topic of discussion at the UN, marking the general global acknowledgment of juujin as a part of the world. Many consider this long overdue, as juujin numbers have placed them as the majority minority in many places for a year or better, and continues to increase.

2010: The “Juujin issue” remains an unanswered topic. Just what juujin are, how they should be treated, and what should be done about them are questions that only scratch the surface of the countless issues regarding to them, and reaching an agreement of any sort currently seems an impossible task even within a single governing body, let alone between two or more different bodies.