Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume Eleven, Chapter Forty-Four: Dirty Ties ( Chapter 44 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The plane landed in Cuba around seven in the morning. This wasn't a honeymoon. No. They were here on business. Valentina stretched her neck from side to side. Boris sent her on this little mission.

“We're going to see Uncle Manuel?” she asked.

“Yes,” Boris said. “I spoke with him over the phone.” Valentina's eyes lit up.

“Yay!” she said, hugging Boris wildly.

“There, there,” he said.

Mikhael stepped out next to Valentina. They were going to be in Cuba for six days. This was his second time out of the country. He should be used to this by now. But still…

Valentina pulled out her phone. It would be late in Japan. But Boris said to call as soon as they touched down.

“Hello,” Boris said.

“We made it here,” the new boss said.

“Good. Please be careful,” he said.

“Will do,” Valentina said. “Will do.” She hung up the phone. Mikhael stared at her.

“What?” she asked.

“Now what?” he asked. His new wife shrugged.

“We're going to see Uncle Manuel,” she said. “A car should be here soon.” Mikhael gave her an odd look. However, he didn't question her. He's learned better by now.

The couple got their luggage at the airport. Valentina was in a good mood. She hummed to herself. Mikhael started to sweat. Sure, his wife was happy right now. How long was that going to last? He didn't want to know. They looked up when they heard a horn honking.

“Ah! They're here!” Valentina said. She looked around on the crowded street. Mikhael followed behind. His wife spotted a red sports car pulling up to them. She stuck her arm up in the air.

“Yoo-hoo!” she shouted. Her husband stood next to her. The car pulled up to a stop. The driver rolled down the window. He lowered his shades.

“You Popova's daughter?” he asked.

“Yes,” Valentina said. “I'm here with my husband.”

“Hi,” Mikhael said.

“Get in,” the driver said. “I'm Miguel.” The couple climbed into the backseat. Miguel pulled away from the airport.

----------

Manuel lived in a big house. Mikhael's jaw dropped when the car pulled up to the gate.

“Whoa!” he said. This house might as well be a palace. So many fountains, trees, bushes, flowers, pools, and statues. The palace was a faded peach color. Valentina smiled.

“Feels like coming home,” she said. Mikhael turned around with big eyes.

“What the…?!” was all he could say. Valentina laughed.

“What?” she asked. “Uncle Manuel lives like a king.” She turned to the driver.

“Thank you,” she said.

“No problem,” the driver said. The couple got out of the car. The driver helped them get their luggage out of the trunk.

“See you later!” Miguel shouted before driving away.

“Bye!” Valentina shouted as she waved. She turned to the gate and ran the buzzer.

“Si?” a woman asked.

“Hello Benita,” the new boss said. “It's us. We're here.” The gate unlocked and slid open.

“Come,” Valentina said. She walked down the driveway. Mikhael rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said to himself. He followed behind.

Manuel sat in a rocking chair on the porch. He looked sharp in his white suit and gold rings. A cigar hung from his mouth. He looked up just as he was about to light up.

“Uncle!” Valentina yelled as she ran to him, waving. The man stood up.

“Valentina!” he said. He held out his arms. Mikhael could see what an oak tree of a man he was. His wife looked so tiny in his arms. She laughed as those big guns hugged her. Mikhael found himself speechless.

“My condolences and congratulations,” Manuel said.

“Thank you,” Valentina said. She bowed her head. The muscled bear of a man turned to Mikhael.

“So this is the lucky man,” he said.

“Hi…” Mikhael mumbled. Manuel walked over to him. The boy felt so small under him. The big man held out his hand.

“Nice to meet you,” he said. “I am Manuel Alonso, head of the Tiburones Rojos.” Mikhael nervously laughed as he made a face. Of course he had ties to the mafia. Valentina cleared her throat. The men looked up.

“We need to talk,” she said. “Can we come inside?”

“Of course,” Manuel said.

“Thank you,” the new boss said, bowing her head.

Dirty Ties