Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 6, Chapter Forty-Five: Violin ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Violin
*Yuki*
Annette is not only striving to be best in something artistic. Dave is learning how to play the violin. Naturally, this surprised the rest of us.
“Dave,” Toyota said. “What is that you have there?” Our American friend gave of his trademark goofy grin.
“Check it out,” he said. He opened his black case and pulled out a beautifully polished violin. We all circled around him, staring.
“No way!” Katsuya gasped.
“You play the violin?” I asked.
“Yep,” he said.
“Can you play for us?” I asked. He gave us a little chuckle.
“Nah, I’m not that good,” he said.
“Oh come on,” Toyota said. “Just a little bit.”
“Please?” I asked.
“Just a little bit,” Katsuya said.
“Please?” we all asked. Dave dropped his shoulders.
“Alright,” he said. He picked up the bow and got into position. We all waited in anticipation. But then, Dave played the first notes. No. Those weren’t notes. They were… No, actually, I don’t know what they were. They clearly weren’t notes. Everyone looked at us, mostly at Dave, with weird looks on their faces. Each string wailed for help from anyone to stop him. Dogs went deaf in a fifteen mile radius of the school. Yet, we couldn’t stop him in the middle of the… (I still don’t have a name for what he’s playing.) We had to be nice and let him finish. Now I know why he didn’t really want to play for up at first. Sasuke started to say something, but I grabbed onto his wrist. I looked at me, pleading. I shook my head at him. The poor guy had to sit there and endure more of… whatever Dave was attempting to play.
When he finished, he lowered his violin, panting. Dave looked at us when he got his breath back.
“Well?” he asked. We all gave him a nervous laugh. Dave frowned at us.
“It’s bad, isn’t it?” he asked. I quickly shook my head.
“No, no!” I lied. “It just…” He looked at me funny.
“What?” Dave asked. I turned to our friends. The daggers in their eyes made me gulp. I turned back to a waiting Dave.
“What is it?” he asked. I finally threw up my hands at him.
“Just needs a little more work,” I said. Dave gave us his goofy grin as his eyes lit up.
“Really?” he asked. I nodded as I felt our friends staring my back down. Why do I keep digging this hole? Yet, my stupid mouth didn’t know how to stop. Dave’s grin could be seen from the moon.
“Great!” he said. “I’ll get right to practicing!”
“Wait, here?” I asked. “Now?”
“Of course not here,” he said. I blinked at him.
“What?” I asked.
“No,” he said. “I’m going in the music room.” He packed up his violin and darted out of the classroom before I could open my mouth. I turned to our friends. Never had I seen a group of people who wanted to kill me so badly in this moment. I shrugged and shook my head.
“What did you tell him that for?” Katsuya barked at me.
“What?!?” I wailed. “What could I say?”
“He sucks!” Katsuya yelled.
“Well, yeah…” I mumbled. “But…”
“But nothing!” he yelled. “I’m going to stop that idiot!” He stormed out the room after Dave.
“Katsuya!” I yelled. I turned to Toyota and Sasuke for help. They shook their heads at me. My face just dropped. Gee, thanks guys! You are so helpful! I ran after Katsuya.
I caught up to him in the hallway.
“Katsuya!” I called out. I caught him by the shoulder. He turned and looked at me with a sneer on his face.
“He sucks!” he shouted.
“I know, but shouldn’t be encouraging to him?” I asked.
“Encouraging him?” Katsuya asked. “You want us to encouraging that?” There it came again. Dave assaulted the strings with his bow. I nearly jumped at the sound. Birds hit the glass window with the painful vibrations. Katsuya held up his hand.
“You want us to encourage that?!?” he asked. I pressed my lips together as I nodded.
“Well… yeah…” I mumbled. “If he wants to do this, then who are we to stand in his way?”
“So you would have us to suffer through that?” he asked. More notes made the hairs on my neck stand up and not in a good way. I turned to Katsuya with a weird look on my face.
“Is there any way to let him down gently?” I asked.
“No!” he said.
“Could you…” I began to ask.
“No!” Katsuya said before I could finish. I turned to look down the hall. The notes from the tormented strings seemed to be crying out for help for anyone, anything brave enough to save them from the guy playing them. I bit my lower lip and turned back to Katsuya for help. When he smiled and shook his head at me, I dropped my shoulders and sighed.
“Fine, I’ll talk to him,” I said. He gave me a little salute.
“Good luck, buddy,” his eyes told me. I narrowed my own at him. Thanks for your support, buddy!, I thought as I walked down the hall to keep the peace, or rather what was left of it, between Dave and our other friends.
Bitter “Sweet” Notes