Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 12, Chapter Ninety-One: Sweet Boy ( Chapter 91 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sweet Boy

-Three Days Ago-

Asuka and Yuki sat across from each other at the table. The older sister set down her cup.

“Do you plan on going to college?” she asked. Her brother looked up at her.

“Huh?” Yuki asked.

“What do you want to do with your life?” Asuka asked. He lowered his eyes.

“You don't know, do you?” she asked. The boy shook his head.

“Yuki…” she said.

“I know. I know,” he said. Asuka gave him a sympathetic smile. She patted him on the hand.

“You're worried about him, aren't you?” she asked. Yuki nodded once.

“You can't be hung up on him,” Asuka said. “You have to try and focus on your future.” She noticed him staring at her.

“What about you?” he asked. Asuka narrowed her eyes.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“What will you do when I'm gone?” I asked. The older sister gave him a blank stare.

“Um… well…” she said. Asuka looked into his eyes.

“I don't really know,” she said. He just looked at her in silence. Asuka slowly drew back her hand.

Since then, she hadn't been able to answer that herself.

--------

-Asuka-

He's been with me since he was a baby. I had to be the one to look after him when our parents died. I didn't mind. He was my brother after all. I would do anything for him. I was the one to protect him from the bullies at his school. I was there to wipe away his tears. I was there through his happy days and his sad days. It had been just us two.

Now that I think about it, I hadn't had much time for a social life. I do have work and a small group of friends. But I haven't been on a date in years. Just hadn't felt the need. My friends have been trying to set me up for the past two years. I don't know why they want me to get married. Most of them are married themselves. Two them are expecting babies. I'm happy for them, I really am. It's just not for me. I've already raised a kid. As for marriage, well, I don't really know.

That leads me to today.

I don't know what I am going to do when Yuki and Shizuma move out. Yes, there is Shizuma too. My brother has perked up ever since Shizuma came into his life. I didn't really trust him at first. Call it the instinct of an older sister or whatever. However, he grew on me over time. Lately, I am not happy with his behavior. He's breaking Yuki's heart. I wish I knew what Shizuma was taking. Maybe give him a piece of my mind. I don't know what he is doing, but it had got to stop.

I took a sip of my tea. Knowing them, they are going to get back together. Why? Because they are that much in love? So where does that leave me? I have no idea. He's not a child anymore. Yuki's grown more confident over the years. He's made friends. He's been in love. He's graduated high school. He's still alive. The only thing left is to figure out what to do about his future. My brother won't need my help to do that.

But what am I going to do?

Maybe I could try the dating thing again? If I am, I'm at least going to wait until Yuki has decided what he's going to do. That makes sense. Sure, he's not a child anymore. But I want to make sure that he's on his way. He's really going to need me right now.

I turned my head when I heard knocking on the door.

“Coming!” I shouted. I didn't need to think about who it was. I got up and walked over to the front door. I found Annette, Toyota, and Katsuya standing outside. They all looked just as worried as I did.

“Oh good, you're here,” I said.

Big Sis, Little Bro