Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Pariah ❯ Welcome Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: The Pariah and all its contents belong to me, Verity.
 
For Scarlett for encouraging me and being the greatest friend
 
 
Chapter Two:
Welcome Home
 
Pariah had received the welcome he sought after. When they came into the harbor, pirates, traders, whores and even children packed the docks. They shouted out for Patience and for Pariah. He stood at the bow of the ship with his lady and behind him stood Elle and Evelyn. He had ordered Joer to bring them on deck for all to see. Joer was barking at the crew to look lively as men darted across the rigging like ants stirred to wake. His ship, graceful as ever, inched into her awaiting berth. Everyone had seemed to crowd them, shouting up at them, shouting his name. This was how one gathered the attention of the folk, useless death and the capture of two women. Elle clung to Evelyn as if afraid someone would carry them off. Yet the whole time, Pariah had treated them like nobility, as they were. He gave them a large stateroom to sleep together with; he had the cook personally bring them the better half of their meals, lest they'd be worth nothing if they were not healthy. He allowed them to venture the deck of his lady and assured them no one would lay a hand on them and if they did they would just need to tell him who and the man would not even be questioned and he'd find himself with lashes across his back.
 
He wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand and tilted his hat back. He donned his best clothes. A black vest that pulled over a white shirt, ivory buttons binding it. His jacket undone so it waved in the wind, black breeches laced up the front and his boots brought up high to his knees. He turned to the women and tipped his hat to them. "My ladies..." He gestured his arm to the town in a languid movement. "Welcome to Lethe" Their eyes ventured to his before they went to the town. Was there fear? Did they actually believe he'd let harm come their way? He turned away from them and looked to the harbor town. Lethe...It was an odd name for pirates to choose for it but its founders had found it suitable. After all most folk who had found their way here had forgot their past and began to live in the now. "Do you wish to see the sights?" Evelyn spoke up "No" She gave a look to her daughter and back to the pirate "We just wish to stay aboard before we are able to go back home" Pariah slowly nodded and turned back to them, hands clasped behind his back. "If that is what you wish" Pariah regarded them for a short moment before beginning to make his way from them and the bow of the ship, before he could get too far Evelyn called back his attention. "...Thank you" She said hesitantly. Pariah stopped and looked over his shoulder, a ghost of a smile. "..You have been kind to us...This whole time." "And I will continue to do so" Pariah cut her off and paused. "Joer will be on watch tonight...I will have someone send food for you two, something fresh other than what we've been eating the past few days" Broth, it was good but it did get old after eating it for days on end. "If there is anything else you wish for just ask of it from Joer" Evelyn gave him a stiff nod. "Just a few more days my ladies...Then you will be back safe and sound with your husband...Your Da" He gave Elle a side glance. Compassion from a pirate, it would be a tale the two ladies would spread when they were returned home. Pariah left them there at the bow of the ship where his lady watched Lethe in her silence. Joer was barking orders whilst Pariah stepped to him. "Joer" The man turned to Pariah with a quizzical look. "Cap'n?" Pariah looked to him and tossed his head in the direction of the bow of his ship. "Evelyn and her daughter are staying aboard. I want you to look after them...I will have food sent and some fabric for them to knit with…" Joer was grinning "I have never seen you this way Pariah...Not unless you were talking about Patience" Pariah shook his head "Wipe that stupid grin off your face Joer" He couldn't help but smile himself. "I want deck mounted ballast on my ship Joer" He added quite seriously, the man nodded slowly. "I want work done on it and soon" "Aye, aye" Joer said and spotted someone slacking from the corner of his eye. "Liven up or I'll beat you Evans!" He shouted at the man with tightened fists and stalked off.
 
Pariah had left his ship, sauntering down the gang way that led to the docks. The men who had gained liberty were swarmed and easily swept away to spend their earnings tonight on food and drink and of course on the pleasures of flesh. Pariah was sure to avoid all that had come too near him, after all that was not what he was looking for and he mostly preferred to spend his night in solace. He would have to wait a few days and maybe even a week. That sent a look of distaste across his face. Despite the fact he enjoyed Lethe the smell of it would eventually bother the senses. After all he was more meant for the sea than for staying in one place. He sauntered down the street as if he were the King of this town, in truth no one ruled Lethe though one who came close was Hoster. A captain was King of his own deck and all captains had considered themselves the more superior than the other. Despite all that… “Pariah…!” “To Pariah…!” “The lady Patience…!” This was what he had wanted to hear and now it was all a reality. Their shouts were music to his ears and left a smile on his face. All was right and was heading the direction he had long wished it to be. This was the turning point in his life from here he would start his crusade. Raiding and pillaging, taking all and leading his folk to victory with his lady parting sea and wind before her as if she were a goddess. The town square was busy with folk and merchants and sailors selling off wares that they had plundered on their voyages, whores hung off the arms of others and some stumbled drunk through crowds. His eyes went over them for that short moment, the sun was hung high in the sky glowing orange and sending an array of colors strewn across the sky. He reached up to tilt back his hat with his hand. Just then someone had run to him. “Captain Pariah sir…!” It was a young lad approaching him who attempted to keep a straight and serious face. Pariah dropped his hands to his hips standing still and staring the boy down. “And who are you…?” “Captain Hoster of Swiftwind sent me.” Pariah stared at him and grinned. “Is that so…?” The boy nodded in a curt movement. “Yes, he asks you to join him for wine and talk. An important matter he says.” Pariah nodded his head “Give him my word that I will be there” The boy nodded quickly and with that he spun and ran off through the crowd. Captain Hoster…It was all coming along together just as it should be.
 
Captain Hoster was truly considered a chivalrous man amongst the folk of Lethe, unlike most he had a wife and children and a modest home in Lethe though who in their right mind would keep a home in such a place, once Lethe was a land of beauty and peace but now…Pariah did not know but did not question the man for it. There were rumors that Hoster was once a noble man and trader but after falling into debt had fled the land with his wife and settled in Lethe. Not to mention that Hoster's beloved ship Swiftwind was truly indeed a fleet ship for a trader's vessel. Pariah had the chance to meet Hoster a few times and he was truly a kind man who didn't quite fit in with the rest of Lethe, other than that he was a serious person and made his life well as a freebooter. If Hoster had wanted to meet him it could only mean he had serious matters that involved him.
 
Pariah was coming up the path slowly with Lethe at his back, Hoster kept his modest home on the side of a hill, the path way cobbled as opposed to the muddy streets of Lethe. He had gone back to his lady earlier to bathe and dress and seem presentable for such a meeting, his hair was combed back and a fresh white kerchief wrapped about his head and his cap on his head, blue trousers and black oiled boots pulled up on his feet, the black vest over a blue silk shirt and a sash about his waist of an array of colors, a ring on his finger that glinted red and a necklace about his neck with similar small jewels, Pariah will show his wealth to this man and show what he was doing was well worth it all. After all jewelry and coin was what could easily turn a man to something. The sun was already low and most like he had kept the man waiting, which of course wasn't a good thing. Up the walk way there was small pots and troughs of flowers up and down the sides and along the steps that ended at the door. Most like in an attempt to strangle out the stink that billowed from Lethe but it was not too horrible here with the smell of trees that had sprouted up and along the hill, surrounding the quaint stone house, smoke rose from a chimney as he looked up into the sky. He came to the door and stood there silently for a moment before reaching up to take hold of the small wooden handle of the chimes, pulling on it to send it to ringing. Pariah waited for what seemed a long time before hearing the scuffing of feet on the other side of the door. There was a pause and then suddenly the door opened as a woman looked out to him, she was a young comely girl and nodded to him as if in approval to his dress, her eyes taking her share of his body as she stepped back and pulled the door open. “Captain Hoster is waiting for you in the sitting room, would you like me to bring you a cup of wine and some tarts?” Pariah moved inside quietly and looked about the entry hall. It was clean and smelled wonderful, a small pot of incense burned to fill the room with the smell of lilacs. He turned to the girl and nodded his head slowly. “That would be wonderful” He smiled and she shut the door behind him before turning to him. “Allow me to lead you to Captain Hoster, he has been waiting quite a while for you” The girl said in mild rebuke as she had already begun to walk down the hall to leave Pariah to follow at her heels “I am sure he would understand” He said evenly as he watched the way she walked, when they had entered the sitting room.
 
More than he had expected in truth. There was a large table set out with three seats on either side of it and two at each head of the table. The room smelled well as pots of incense were set in the corners, goblets were set out on the table. There was a great hearth burning brightly and two windows at either side of it that showed the passage ways of the surrounding waters and nature. There was an old painting set up above the hearth and tapestries that flanked the doorway in which Pariah still stood in. The girl looked back to him oddly but said nothing as she bowed and left the room, shutting the doors behind him. There wasn't just Hoster here but others…Six other respected captains and Pariah only smiled before hiding it away behind a firm line. “Ah, Captain Pariah you have finally arrived” Hoster spoke and turned from a side table, the others paused their conversation to turn to Pariah. “Have a seat, all of you” Hoster spoke and no one questioned him as each of them had taken a seat, Hoster at the head as he motioned a hand to Pariah to seat opposite of him. When Pariah had settled himself into his seat he leaned back, hands on the arm rests and squeezing them lightly for a short moment. Hoster simply stared at Pariah and Pariah gave an even gaze towards the older man, was he trying to intimidate him? If so he would not succeed. Just then the doors gave way again as servants poured inside with trays of food as they had begun to set it out on the table, Pariah kept his eyes locked with his elder and Hoster broke into a smile as the servants had begun to pour wine for him and his guests. With a languid gesture of his hands the servants left and shut the doors behind them. “Pariah we all have received word of your triumph at the Gold Arbor. So it's true, you have conquered it and took the Lady Evelyn and her daughter Elle.” “I did” Pariah lifted up his goblet and sniffed the contents before sipping it “They're on my ship, safe and sound” Hoster kept his still smile on his face.
 
“Do you think the King will stand by while you pillage his allies and bully them?” Hoster queried while Pariah shook his head and sipped his wine again, looking over the rim to Hoster and to the other captains who were listening intently. Captain Port of the Langley, Edgar of the Constance, Wallace of the Zephyr, Jonas of the Dream Eve, Mathias of the Alder, and Geoffrey of the Lion's Tooth, all were respectable captains, and all were here due to Hoster's wishes. Pariah found his eyes returning to Hoster's own and he shook his head, dismissing the words as if they were nothing more but mere insects. He set down his goblet and leaned back in his seat, a finger tracing the stem of his goblet. “No, I sense he will start sending out patrol galleys and attempt to swat us out of the sea as if we were nothing more but bugs.” “If you keep this up the King will send men of his own to stomp out Lethe!” Jonas cut in with a glare around the table “If you continue to challenge his rulings and attack his lands he will rid of us all, you will kill us all with your crusade Pariah!” Hoster snarled “The King has always turned a blind eye to our freebooting as long as it did not interrupt his pleasures” Geoffrey said between gulps of wine “That does not matter! Pariah led a strike against the Gold Arbor! The King will lead an attack I am sure!” The quick tempered Wallace spat out, slamming his hand palm first against the table and pushing back into his seat with a huff as if he were a child, cheeks going pink. There were times in the past when previous Kings have taken action; Lethe was little more than a harbor town now with nothing more but a few sparse settlements of a few huts that scattered across the coast. “Lady Evelyn is a distant cousin to the King himself” Port added in an even voice as he looked to Pariah with an odd look, almost one of accusation. Was this what Hoster had wanted to do? Some sort of intervention to keep Pariah from continuing his crusade? “I doubt he'd even notice she is gone until her husband starts to grovel at his feet and beg till it annoys him” Edgar snorted out and shook his head, Edgar had always been a good friend and Pariah had no doubt that the man would back him in this. “No matter, if you continue this Pariah it will most certainly lead to the downfall of Lethe and of us all” Mathias said and looked to Hoster as if the elder would agree with him. “That may be so” Hoster said with an even look around the table before stopping on Pariah who seemed to sit there as still as a statue. “Why did you leave the King's reign behind Hoster?” Pariah asked, hoping it would prick something out of the man. Hoster seemed uncomfortable for a short moment before mastering himself. Others looked at Pariah incredulously at the change of subject.
 
“Rumors say you were once a noble man, is it true you left because you were left in debt to the King? That it was either give your wife to him as some whore or pay him off? Instead you chose to flee from it all so you can keep your wife and have the family you had wished, to live on like a free man from any rule that was unjust” Pariah was speaking, everyone was silent as he lifted his goblet and looked at the simple work of it, before sipping and shutting his eyes. “Why would you protect a man like that? You scold me for conquering one of his trading ports and say it is wrong and you hide away in Lethe as if it were your mother. You say he will come and kill us all. Take your wives and your precious whores, children and servants, burn your ships and hang you all for the scum we are. We are scum to him.” Pariah looked at each and every one of them with an even glance, challenging someone to speak but no one did. They looked at him in disbelief. “What had happened when there was more than Lethe?” Pariah asked of them with fine knit brows. “Where we had settlements all over the river fronts and Isle, where we had islands where one could sail to and hide away for an entire season. Where we could live as lords?” His voice was rising with every word eloquently “It was all taken away…All taken away and our fathers' fathers' were hung, strung up and mutilated, because the King was afraid of our power!” He shouted across the table. “This land by all rights was ours!” He took an indrawn breath “I know that most of you do not agree with my ideals or see things the way I do…You let this King chase you away with your tails tucked between your legs. You call it rebellion; you hunt the seas for merchant vessels and call yourself pirates. Why has the King chased you from what is rightfully ours?” He demanded of them.
 
“They treat us like dogs and you give them reason to treat us like dogs” Pariah growled out and glared across the table with furrowed brows. “I've been attacked, spat on and had been sneered at by my own people. Simply because they do not understand, because they do not understand my ideals! They do not understand the reason of my crusade! Geoffrey! Do you not want to marry a lively young woman and have sons of your own that can captain your ship as finely as you did in your young days? To have a manor fit for a lord all for you? You, Jonas wouldn't you want to captain your own fleet and sail these seas exploring the lands unknown to those and besting the most fleetest without being questioned and chased away by patrol ships? Edgar…Sweet lad, wouldn't your father had wished you to live as his father had, prosperous with a fine woman at your side bearing you children? Mathias, do you not want to sail to the north and walk the ice halls of the Mountainous Sea? Port, do you not want to rest finally? To die a happy old man on your deck and have your sons manage your ship well and have a place to live in comfort without fear of being chased off with their tails between their legs? And Wallace, how long have I known you? Do you truly think I would do this without thought? Wallace…Remember when we spoke of conquering the land and making it our own?” Wallace looked down to the table and then his folded hands in his lap. He had truly known Wallace for a long time, years. They would oft drink in their younger days and speak of taking the world. “Why do we have to live in fear and oppression?”
 
He wondered if he had won them over, if they had come to his side and understood what he was saying. That they would say his crusade was truth and the right thing to follow, Hoster was watching thoughtfully in his seat, leaning against one arm rest and a hand underneath his chin. “I am trying to take back what is rightfully ours” Pariah said lastly and slowly had begun to stand, pressing his palms down on the table and leaning forwards. “Join me or not, I will fight on and do this for our children's children and lastly for our forefathers.” There was silence in the room besides the crackling chorus of fire splitting the logs in the great heart, the dancing licking flames spreading their warmth across their familiar faces as he looked from each of them quietly looking for some answer. Each looked to one another before returning their gaze evenly and hesitantly and then Jonas had stood up. “I will follow you Pariah, to the end” Pariah hid a smile and simply nodded to Jonas who nodded in return and then it had happened. One by one each had stood. Edgar taking up the words “I will follow you Pariah, to the end' And then Mathias, Port, Geoffrey and Wallace. It took all of Pariah to keep from smiling and to hold still the welling pleasure of it all, to see these respectable men follow his suit. But there was still Hoster, sitting there still with an observing face; all of them looked down to him.
 
Hoster reached forth and ran his fingers over the stem of his goblet before lifting it in his hand and standing, raising the goblet above his head. “To Pariah and his lady Patience…!” He shouted and the others were picking up their goblets in a similar fashion before Pariah lifted his own and spoke. “No.” He smiled evenly and looked over them. “To Lethe and us…May we prosper and live on as Kings on our decks, we will snatch our rightful place back from the King's hands!” He grinned wide showing his white teeth as he held up his goblet, Hoster smiled in return and the others laughed and tapped goblets together in salute before drinking down their wine. “Eat!” Hoster shouted and laughed.
 
They ate and caroused the night away in merry speech and boasting. This was a victory he had needed, to win over these men to his side that would no doubt follow him truly to the end of his crusade. He has trusted and respected men in his ranks, each with skill and a ship that would outmatch any war galley, with them he could take back what was theirs by right and put an end to the King, end his monarchy and unjust reign over the realm. It was all going right, he will complete what he was born to do, to lead his people back to what they were…To show them who they were and meant to be. They were more than pirates, a name branded to them by the King, they were Kings of the Sea, and men who shared similar fashions and not men who let their passions rule them, the simple feel of the wind in their hair and their ship parting the sea in a gentle lover's caress, leading men who followed them willingly into fierce dangers. No man would understand such a thing, such a bond to their ship and men.
 
It was hours later, the moon hung high in the sky and shined down on Lethe; stars glinted and shone brightly, a map that any captain could follow on a clear or cloudy day if he were skilled. He swaggered down to the docks where his lady laid in wait, he surprisingly held his drink well for the excessive amount he shared with the other captains, he came up to the figure head of his ship and extended a hand to press on her forearm, she felt warm underneath his touch, she never seemed chilled ever and he was glad for that. “You are as beautiful as ever my lady” He complimented “Permission to come aboard?” He asked her with a bow before moving up the gangway. He was pleased to see Joer had done what was asked of him, there were ballasts already being set to the deck and done precisely and deftly. There was no mess and some of the workers were still doing as told but others had taken to sleep. Most like Joer offered them to rest on his lady's decks and that there were shifts each one took to continue working. Pariah moved around them and passed the sailor on watch who sat on a crate over looking things, a glass of brandy in hand as he shifted it about. “Good eve!” He said to Pariah enthusiastically when he had gone by.
 
Pariah only wished for one thing: Sleep. It had been a long day and he had completed his goal, he had won over captains that would aide him in his crusade. He went down a hatch and walked down the hall with downcast eyes and cap tilted forwards over his face. It wouldn't be long when he came to his door, pressing a flat palm against the wood work before pausing suddenly. He heard noise from inside, someone rummaging through things? Who would dare touch his things? He should have them lashed, they knew he was out and about or maybe it was just Joer…Even then, Joer was not known to enter his stateroom without permission. He pushed the door open slowly, hardly making a noise as he reached back to release his belt knife and hold it out in front of him. He pressed against the door way and slipped inside, shutting the door quietly. His room was dark except for a small lamp with a dim fire dancing inside.
 
Peering inside he looked about, he could see a form at his desk, and maps pulled down and marked with his own hand, a captain's maps were always the most valuable item on a ship other than the ship itself. Whoever it was sat there intently, with bound books in their hands, shifting through them. Log books of his, log books were considered the memory of the ship and just as valuable for they held the feelings of a captain and the history of voyages not just from his days but of captains before him. He was crouched low and moving skillfully through the dark, it was his room and he knew where he kept his things, where the deck underneath him would creak if he stepped in a wrong spot and where it would not. He neared the form where hardly any light went over that white flesh of theirs. His hand clamped over a warm mouth and his knife pressed where their kidney would be, pricking through the cloth of their clothing. He shouldered his head against whoever it was, pressing his chin to that shoulder and talking into their ear. “Looks like I've caught a mouse” He pulled back and tugged the person from the seat at the desk, books dropping from their hands and onto it as he tugged the person towards the porthole where moonlight poured inside. He spun the person around only to stare blankly down at who it was.
 
Evelyn. Why was she here? How dare her! He should slit her throat for what she had done, after all he had done for her, after all the promises he kept of keeping her safe. His brows knit as angry glints in his eyes shown, his hand tight over her mouth. He could crush her, kill her. Her eyes were large, seeming to threaten with tears. How could she do that…He could not keep his eyes on her own, they pushed him away, they stung him. He released his hand on her mouth and placed it on her shoulder, pulling away the knife and sheathing it away. “What're you doing here?” He demanded. “I was looking for you…” She said in a low voice “I thought you would be here earlier but you weren't…So I waited” “You looked through my things” He pointed out with furrowed brows, glaring at her. “Does Joer know of this?” She looked at him as if he would strike her…He should have, he should have struck her, that would teach her. “No” She admitted and he scowled, placing hands on his hips and he walked away from her in disgust. “Go back to your room and stay there till I see fit to see you” “William” She called out to him and he turned to see her “What did you call me?” She was silent, staring at him and pressing her back against the wall as if she could melt away. “William is your name…Isn't it? William Teimlia” He looked away from her. “It was in the log books…I read them, I saw it. You were the great, great grandson of Ephraim Teimlia.” She said hesitantly. “This ship goes back nearly six generations, albeit short lived men. Ephraim was one of the first to populate these lands and a handful followed his suit…William, why are you ashamed of your name?” Why did she care if he did, did she expect him to let her go here and leave? Why would she leave? He treated her like royalty on his ship where elsewhere she would be raped and used. “Watch your tongue Evelyn” He warned her in an even and controlled voice, attempting to keep it from breaking.
 
“I understand why you are doing what you are…You feel these lands belong to you.” “Not just to me” He looked to the porthole and to Lethe. “To all of us” “I once thought you a murderer, a raider, a rapist and man with no morals William…But you are much more than that, you see things that others do not. Everything was stripped from your forefathers unjustly, these lands, their life. They were not pirates, the King has made them pirates in the eyes of the people,” She stepped closer and placed a hand on his own hesitantly, he should've pulled away. “Your forefathers had come here to live a life where they could prosper and they lost it all…You are simply trying to regain back what was rightfully yours, what should have been for you, you will make it for your children's children” William had never heard the words said so eloquently and so gentle. He had wanted to weep; someone understood him completely, understood what he was and at the same time he had felt naked before her for she knew all and could very well destroy all he had finely knit up. He was bare to her in every way. “King after King they had taken more away from you all, all that is left now is Lethe…They pillaged your land, raped your women and killed your children. They chased you off so you could never come again. They were the pirates” She tried to look to his eyes and reluctantly he did allow that, she raised a hand to his cheek and looked over his face, he nearly flinched away from her touch. “I would like to help you William, to make these dreams come true” He simply stared at her, watching her face oddly. What could he say? He had won her…But what could she do for him? Lady Evelyn, a wife, a distant cousin to the King himself, what would profit her in this? She had the light flesh and lithe form of that family line, the light hair and eyes. Her hand on his face and on his own left his flesh to burn wherever she touched. She stood onto her toes and pressed a kiss onto his cheek, shutting his eyes and turning his head away. “Thank you for all what you have done for me and my daughter William, I will not tell them who you are, I will keep your secret safe with me…” She waited for him to speak but he did not. “Sleep well” She released his hand, dropping her hand from the side of his face as she went to the door and placed her hand on the latch, turning her head to see him. If she were disappointed he did not say anything, he was not sure, soon the door closed quietly and securely behind her. His hand rose to touch where she kissed his cheek, he rubbed his flesh to take away the warmth of it as he ventured to his bed. He felt suddenly weary, he fell face forward into the bed and sprawled out comfortably, face turning and nuzzling into the covers of his bunk and letting his eyes sag shut. Tomorrow will be a new day.
 
* * *
 
The marble halls seemed to glow as the wall sconces burned blessedly in their richly designed holders, fat stout pillars held up the walk ways with garlands of flowers twining their way up the columns. The guards prodded him forwards, propelling him towards the large divan, pillows, silks and clothes lay sprawled. A young man lay there smiling sheepishly; long stemmed pots surrounded the divan with thin trails of smoke from the burning incense rose and filled the surrounding air. The fat man placed a hand move his nose, his face was haggard and seemingly hollow. Tall windows were pulled open to the sea where the castle perched on the cliff, rolling waves crashing against stone as white foam and spray carried up the sky. A wonderful blessed chill air filled the hall, rich tapestries of recorded histories decorated the walls, troughs and pots of plants and flowers of every land, baskets of treats and goblets of wines lined the edge of the divan. The young man on the divan who sprawled there smiled wickedly as he turned comfortably onto one side, dark ringlets and curls of his hair fell just above the collar of his neck, and a woman stirred behind him and wrapped her arm about his waist. He wore a robe tied with a sash, a crown of flowers on his curls and hazed blue eyes looked to the guards who flanked the fat man. “My lord…!” The fat man dropped to his knees instantly, leaning forwards onto his hands. The younger man instantly recognized the fatter and older man but cared not for it as he fell back onto his back on the pillows, taking a deep indrawn breath of the smoke that went by his face; he gazed through the haze to the fatter man. “Torl…?” He asked, he had gotten word that the man had traveled in over a week ago and was seeking audience with him but the young man continued to put it off in hopes that the man would leave, he rather preferred to relax other than talk and business. “Why have you come?” “Pirates…!” Torl squeaked out “They raided the Gold Arbor! I swear to you, I could not believe it…Pariah - Pariah was his name!” Torl was leaning forwards spilling out the story as if he were retching, the younger man simply listened. He did not believe it at first but it did not matter. The Gold Arbor was a small place, a trading port that seemed too heavily guarded than it needed it to be. “Pirates…?” He laughed “My father took care of them during his reign; they only pick on small merchant vessels so why would they bother attacking the Gold Arbor anyway? You are lying” “Lord Richard!” And Richard sighed, turning away as his advisor walked in, pacing the long marble hall.
 
He hated his advisor; all the man did was treating him like a child. He was no child! He ruled his Kingdom with a strong and just hand. Torl looked up at the elderly advisor as he walked up to the divan, a kerchief at his nose and mouth. “Listen to him, it is true. Pirates have attacked the Gold Arbor” “And they kidnapped my wife and daughter, my lord you must do something!” Richard sighed and tried to hide his face in the sleeping woman's hair. “Captain Pariah led the attack skillfully” “Captain Pariah…Who is that?” The elder shook his head “I've been looking into it. We have family names written down but Pariah is no where located on it, he doesn't even have a surname…” “Then it is all a lie.” Richard decided. “Lord Richard!” His advisor scolded him with a snarl as he tossed down parchments onto the young laying man; the guards shuffled their feet and stood as still as stone. This wasn't new to them but was still rather uncomfortable to watch. “Whatever you may think but this Pariah will lead another attack. This was only the first attack amongst many and it was not that important to him, it seems he was just trying to prove a point otherwise he would have stood in place and had kept it underneath his ruling hand. Trust me Lord Richard you must at least send war galleys to patrol the passages and shore, the watch towers will not be enough. Pariah snuck by it without alerting anyone. When message had finally gotten out about the attack it was already too late.” Richard sighed and sat up, shoving the woman aside as if she were some trinket. “Get out and leave now” He commanded her and she stirred and started to move from the divan, pulling a sheet around her to keep her nakedness covered.
 
When she had left the room and the large oaken doors shut behind her he sat up further and rested against the pillows, rummaging through the parchments with hardly a glance, most just to please his advisor. “Fine then” He said lastly and looked to his advisor “I will allow war galleys to patrol the passages and shores and protect any passerby merchant vessels” He decided and looked to Torl “Now does that please you?” He said in a venomous tone as Torl bobbed his head in assent “My…My wife” “If they carried her off along with your daughter they're most likely drowning in a sea of dirty men.” Richard held back a laugh to seem polite “Would you still want them then?” Torl stared and trembled before slowly looking away. “Evelyn is of your blood” “So…?” Richard shrugged his shoulders and leaned back, clasping hands behind his head. “Fine…I will negotiate with the pirates and pay the ransom” Richard turned onto his side to show his back and with a languid gesture of his hand he said “Take him away” Pirates…He will rid of them as his father had and his father's father. They would regret what they have done.