Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Sanctuary's End: Cries of Anarchy Under the New Moon ❯ Future Reference ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"You've doomed us all," yelled a tensed jawed secretary of defense. The small conference room echoed with fear and frustration. Among those present at the long steel rectangle table were four cabinet members: the vice president, president and the head physicist of project DEVI.  

"This was all a simple mistake, but look at what we've accomplished. A discovery to trump everything that mankind has done thus far. Beyond flight, beyond space travel, nothing comes close to what we've uncovered." Dr. Jimmy Blakemore rubbed at his thinning hairline. He had only hoped that the rest would see and understand what a find this was. 

"Enough chatter from the deranged scientist! Mr. President, sir, what would you have us do?" Just as the secretary of defense finished his statement the attorney general chimed in.

"Come on, now, Harold. My people should take lead on this project. We know how to get information out of people without blowing everything to pieces." A sly smirk of amusement formed over the attorney general’s lips. Harold, however, didn't take too kindly to his antics. 

"Always the wise guy, Charlie. You won't be so smug when I wipe the oval office with that ugly mug of yours. The army is more than capable of ‘handling’ situations like these. It's your people that can't hack it. All that sissy stuff if you ask me." Charlie and Harold had a way of going tick for tack with each other about everything. Just as Charlie was prepared to make a comeback, madam secretary of state promptly cleared her throat. 

"Why, is it that men are so willing to puff up their chest at the slightest bit of tension? Let's try reasoning with them first. Perhaps, getting these mythics to join our society. We can all learn so much from each other. Besides, neither the FBI nor the army's tactics will get them to trust us."

Charlie shook his head in disbelief. The world around them was crumbling and all they could do was argue about tactics while the enemy coiled ferociously around them waiting to strike.  

"While we're at it, let's give them a tour of area 51 and tell them our government’s secrets too, Diane. We don't need them to trust us, we just need answers."

"Enough already! Let the president have a moment of peace without you vultures squawking at each other every few seconds." In the same instance the room fell silent and all attention diverted towards the president. 

A sunken faced president with a wrinkled brow looked up from his sweating palms and inhaled deeply, "Tell the army they can move in." 

Jimmy jumped up from his seat outraged. "With all due respect sir, we don't want to start a war. These mythics are people too." 

President Monfret racked his brain, but couldn't find any resolve. "If these mythics are just like us then they'll understand and will come in peacefully."

The doctor's cheeks and forehead turned a bright shade of red as he stormed towards the plain gray door. "We brought them here yet we're going to treat them like criminals?” He questioned before slamming the door behind him. 

Harold smirked, revealing yellow stained teeth from years of chewing tobacco. "Alright, boys, you’ve got the clear to move in." He said through the walkie-talkie. 

The president rubbed at his temples and could only wonder what would happen next.