Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Sanctuary's End: Cries of Anarchy Under the New Moon ❯ Lust of Chemical and Mechanical Curiosity ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A week went by after discovering the now named Thread particle. Jimmy spent all his time logged into the lab. Often, Lina would find him sleep there the next day. So many questions needed to be answered. Why wasn't it found before and what was its purpose and how did it operate?

The first couple of days were spent studying its structure and trying to mimic the compounds artificially. Unable to properly construct a duplicate, they tried adding different particles with little to no reaction.  For the first time, Jimmy was at a lost. The particle didn't react to any chemical or other particles.

The particle would expand if introduced to heat, but when frozen the girth didn't reverse. Such an oddity it was. Director Sebastian Graham's interest was especially intrigued, yet was disheartened that they still had no answers. The project was refunded and granted another two year extension, but the director wanted a demonstration on the possibilities of the particle in four months. 

Jimmy was both fascinated and infuriated by the particle. It held deep rooted secrets not only to earth but maybe even the universe. Sunday rolled in and more progress was made. When placed with dark matter or dark energy the particle reacted by diminishing the dark matter. It appeared to attack in a way by digesting the dark matter after which the particle became more active and multiplied. The properties it possessed could make space seem not so vast. In fact, with the dark matter gone one could see the universe in its entirety.

Monday night, Jimmy was alone in the lab inputting a data entry on the computer. The description of the properties did not specify exactly to his liking. He decided to do another test run but added twice the amount of matter. As previously noted, the particle diminished the dark matter. While finishing his report he noticed there was still activity on the screen, despite the absence of dark matter.

A translucent penny sized sphere formed and rippled like liquid. Jimmy gasped with wide eyes and ran close to the large glass cylinder container. In hopes it wasn't an illusion, Jimmy rubbed his eyes. Again, he saw the small sphere. It looked as though a rain drop was caught in a tiny tornado. The pressure alarm sounded throughout the lab. Not wanting to draw attention, he cut off the alarm by pressing a series of keys. 

Lina must have been nearby because she entered the lab manically. "What's going on here?" 

He protested. "Nothing, just miss fire of electric currents."  

"Why are you still in here, Jimmy? You should rest."

"I can't rest when we possibly have the blueprint to the universe in our very mitts. Come, look at this."

"You shouldn't be in here running tests by yourself." Lina was stunned as she turned around to notice the now quarter sized translucent liquid sphere that hovered.

"Remarkable isn't it? It seems to be ripping at the very fabric of existence." Jimmy said proudly.

"I can't believe it. You were right. How did it? How did you?" She asked.

"By feeding it twice the amount of matter." He shrugged plainly.

They watched as the sphere expanded; molded. Tiny cracks surfaced on the glass container. 

"Jimmy, look at the glass. Was that there before?" The thin cracks lengthened and began to spread before their very eyes.

"That glass is the thickest known to man. It's nearly impossible to destroy unless...” His mind remembered the pressure alarm going off.

The glass began to vibrate on a very low frequency.

"Do something! How do you make it stop?"

Jimmy ran over to the computer and tried to add liquid nitrogen, but the sphere absorbed it with ease. The container shifted on the table struggling to break free.

"Lina get down!"

The glass shattered as Jimmy fell to the ground dragging Lina down under him. Something ricocheted off the wall, smashed through glass beakers and into the air vent. 

"Are you alright?" Jimmy asked slowly rising to his feet.

Lina shook the glass, sprinkled on top of her head, off. "I think…so. What on earth just happened?"

Jimmy looked down unsure of what to say. Shards of glass crunched under his shoes.  He pulled the pencil from his ear and placed the eraser to his lips. Maybe his lust of chemical and mechanical curiosity had driven him too far.