Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ To Wish Upon The Sea ❯ Marjani ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXx

To Wish Upon the Sea

By: Melissa Norvell

Chapter 6: Marjani

XxXxXx

"State your name, human," the naga demanded coldly as she held the spear to the girl, not backing down for one second.

"My name is Manami," the wet girl replied, holding up her hands in defense. "Please don't hurt me."

"That's what they all say. Human are so quick to beg for their lives," the female naga replied, her maroon eyes burning into her captive's pale ones.

"I didn't do anything. I was just sitting at the beach," Manami tried to reason, but felt as if she was getting nowhere. While she didn't blame the naga for the way they treated humans, she was sad that one was so defensive and threatening to her. It wasn't like being with Thanatos.

As thoughts raced through her head, a flashback came to her.

The look on her mother's face, as she's being attacked from something unknown- seeming as if it were Manami herself. Her terrified scream as her face is twisted in horror as it closed in on her as everything around her began to grow dark and all that was seen was her blood, splattered on darkness in abstract horror.

As the thought faded, she spoke. "Are you the one?"

"The one?" The female naga asked, a little confused by the random question. "What one?"

"Are you the one that killed my mother?" Manami asked, the realization hitting her shortly after the flashback did. She was near the shore and pulled into the sea by this warrior-type naga who now held her life in her hands as she threatened her with the sharp end of a deadly spear. Could this be what happened to her mother? Could this naga be the one that was spoken of by her father? Perhaps this is why her father became a naga hunter.

"I've killed many humans," the naga replied, her voice still monotone as her long, straight and slick dark purple hair swirled around in the water. Her words sent chills up Manami's spine. She got a terrible and ominous feeling from it. This naga was a murderer and no doubt she wouldn't hesitate to kill her.

"What incident do you speak of?" The long-haired naga still held a look of question.

"My mother was walking on the beach several years ago," Manami began, a deep sorrow reflecting in her pale eyes, "she saw a baby in the waves that looked unconscious," as she continued, her voice grew in sorrow. "When she went to get it, this sea being came up out of the water and killed her."

"Is that why you come here?" the older female asked. "To find that being?"

"No, just to think of it, I probably should be getting back. Thanatos is probably going to worry if I stay out too much longer," she smiled kindly at the other, hoping she would somehow understand or develop some semblance of a heart.

"Thanatos?" the other naga blinked in realization at the reply. How in the world did this human know Thanatos? Besides, what human would befriend Thanatos? Everyone knew that he despised all humans for things they had done to him in the past.

Was this the same Thanatos? She wondered as she slowly lowered her spear. "Wait…Are you speaking of a naga?"

"Yes, his name is Thanatos. He saved me," she said simply, as if it were a common thing for a naga of his attitude to do.

"Thanatos? Are we thinking about the same person here?" The sea creature was beginning to think that something was wrong with the girl. Maybe there was another naga out there posing as Thanatos because this sounded nothing like the arrogant, human-hating man that she knew. "The Thanatos I know would never save a human."

"Well, he has long black, wispy hair, dark green eyes, big horns and a little goatee," the girl began to describe him. "He acts grumpy all of the time but he's kind deep down inside."

"Did he ever mention to you that he absolutely hates humans?" The long-haired female arched an eyebrow, wondering if the arrogant naga was up to his usual deception. If he was, then of course this human would think that he was on the up-and-up.

"No…He didn't…" Manami replied in a broken-up sentence. She felt an inward stab for a few moments as she pondered on her words. At the beginning, he was mean and changed his thoughts during the time they'd spent together. Was it a deception? Did he really not care for her? Was it a front to gain her trust so that he could figure more things out about the humans by using one of their own against them? But, he seemed so sincere when he held her close…and when he saved her from her father.

"As much as I am his friend, I should warn you that he is out to kill humans and he'll stop at nothing to achieve this goal," the other told her grimly but informatively.

"What? Why?" Manami asked, wondering if she could possibly be killed as well. She had a feeling that Thanatos hated humans, but what were his reasons. Deciding that she should think this through before jumping to any conclusions her mind had already concocted up, she decided to find out what he fought for. Perhaps his goal wasn't exactly as selfish as she was making it out to be.

"I have no clue, but several rumors are going around. Some of the naga say that he's been visiting a human recently."

'She means me, doesn't she?'

"It's rumored that he's just using them to find out more about the humans so he can get close tone and kill them. Either that or he's picking someone by the shore in order for them to lead him to the docks so he can kill the fishermen and naga hunters there."

"He did want me to go to the docks with him at first and he did mention that he was curious about humans…" Manami contemplated out loud, not sure what exactly to think about the situation. "So does that mean that he lied to me?" Worry began to etch itself upon her features.

"So you're that human, are you?"

Manami nodded in affirmation.

"You do know that those aren't the only rumors going around under the sea, don't you?"

"No."

"It's also rumored that he loves you," the female naga told her, still stoic look on her face, despite the kind subject.

This caused the girl to let out a small gasp as a slight blush graced itself on her cheeks. Manami began to feel awkward inside and not really sure why. The girl began to feel nervous and uneasy, yet slightly fluttery inside, almost as if she were free-falling. "What? Oh, I really don't think he does! I mean, why would he be? I'm probably not even in his league."

"You have no idea. He must be hiding a lot from you."

"What do you mean?"

"Manami, Thanatos is a prince."

"A prince!? Really!?!" The girl's voice raised a considerable amount with her surprise. All of this time she'd been with him and not even noticed that he was royalty. Manami actually felt a little embarrassed that she didn't think about it right off. He wore a lot of elaborate things and had many golden rings, jewels, feathers and other things on his body, not to mention the fact that he was so proud and regal. It made sense when she thought about it.

"Yes, really, Thanatos belongs to a prestigious naga clan that rules a sector of the sea. His family is very powerful as well as being strong rulers. Thanatos is the successor to the great King Xenosidon, but he is really nothing like his father."

Manami was silent as the gentle waves sloshed against her body in rhythmic motion. She was taking every bit of information in as the naga told her of things she had no idea of.

"Everyone wonders if Thanatos will be as kind of a ruler as Xendosidon because his heart is filled with malice and revenge."

Feeling a little tired, Manami drug her now soaked form back on to the rock she originally fell from. She sat close to the water's edge, her clothes feelings a little uncomfortable as the clung very tightly to her form, leaving nothing to mystery. She could feel the gentle winds hit her bare skin, causing her form to shudder a little. She then frowned and looked a little angry at her last statement. "I wouldn't believe them." The black-haired girl replied with confidence.

"Huh?" The other naga blinked.

"Thanatos is kind," she smiled gently to the naga below her. "I just know it."

"How can a human claim to know him so intimately?" The female naga looked a little suspicious of Manami's statement.

"Because I see a side of him that no one sees. He probably thinks that he has to be strong around you guys because he's your prince, but I think that he feels like he can be himself around me."

"What? The fairytale prince syndrome?" The purple-haired naga replied, almost with a laugh at how out of character it seemed for someone like Thanatos to be depressed because of something like that? You think he'd want the power, so that didn't make any sense to her.

"Fairytale prince syndrome?" Manami cocked her head at the 'disease'. What did she mean by that statement?

"You know," the other female began to explain, "the prince who wants to walk among the peasants and not be treated so royally."

"Maybe…" The girl put a finger to her chin in thought. "I really don't know."

"Oh, I'm Marjani," the female naga introduced herself, bowing to the girl. "Elite hunter and servant of the royal family. I'm also a friend of Thanatos. I apologize for my rash actions. I didn't know that you were the girl he thought so fondly of."

"Fondly of?"

"Well, he doesn't exactly talk about you, but IO and I had always thought that he cared for you."

"IO?"

"His sister."

"He has a sister?" Manami asked, interested in his family.

"Yes."

"What's she like?"

"Well…" The hunter thought for a few moments before continuing. "She's nothing like Thanatos. IO is very gentle and kind, but she is also very optimistic about the human world. She's always been very interested in humans. How they think and act as well as their actions towards the naga. She thinks that there are some kind people in the world. Many say that she's foolish for thinking such things."

"But what do you think?" Manami asked.

"I've seen both good and bad actions from humans…So I can't say for certain. Humans have done both kind and horrible things to us," Marjani told her as she picked up her pail and began to scoop some salt water from the sea. It slowly filled the empty mass inside the bucket.

"I know…You have every right to think that…" The girl said sadly. "Humans even do those things to each other."

"What a horrible race of people to do something to their own kind," Marjani remarked.

"I'd better go back to Thanatos. It was nice talking to you."

"Here!" The hunter shouted, chunking a tiny whistle made from a small conch shell and attached to a rope through the air. As the object tumbled into Manami's hands, the girl gazed upon it with curious sights.

"Huh? What's this?"

"I like you," Marjani gave her a subtle smile, "so feel free to blow this when you come around and if I'm nearby, I'll come and talk to you."

"Really?" The girl's face lit up. She had made another friend! The second one!

"Yes."

"Thank you!" Manami beamed, holding the whistle close to her form.

"Not a problem. Tell Thanatos I said hello," Marjani waved as Manami trudged through the water in order to get back to the beach. The water felt heavy beneath her feet, but as it got thinner, it felt more like a normal stroll.

"I will!" The girl waved back from the shore. "Bye Marjani!" She waved over her shoulder as she walked and tried to balance the pale so that she lost as little salt water as possible.

"Farewell and be careful!"

XIXIXI

Manami walked down a small dirt path on the way to her house. She had learned so much about Thanatos and a million thoughts were clouding her head as she took in the sights around her. The air was crisp and the day rising into early afternoon as the weather was now sunny and bright. A cheerful yet somehow slightly disturbed feeling hung in the air. Perhaps this was just her doubts.

'So…Thanatos is a prince? I knew he looked regal, but I had no idea that he was actually royalty. I still wonder thought…About what Marjani said earlier. Could it be possible that he's using me? But he seems so kind to me. I just can't believe it! I mean, he saved my life and everything! He can't be a bad guy! He just can't! He may be a little rough around the edges but I don't believe he'd just use me like that! It can't be true.' Her thoughts struggled to pull her mood back in the positive as she scooped the small whistle in her hand and gazed upon in, her mind still in a state of deep contemplation. 'I've made a new friend today.' She smiled and closed her eyes, happy with herself that yet another naga wanted to be her friend. 'Life is definitely getting better so I should stop worrying! This adds one more thing to the list of good things that the sea has given me.'

"I believe that surely, life will get better. It just has to," she spoke to no one but herself, looking up into the bright blue sky as a lone seagull flew overhead. The breeze toyed with her hair a little as she walked down the dirt road, leading to her new life and the stubborn naga prince whom awaited her.

To Be Continued…