Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tsurugi: Tsubasa no Gedatsu ❯ Pain and Revelations ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXx

Tsurugi: Tsubasa no Gedatsu

By: Melissa Norvell

Chapter 3: Pain and Revelations

XxXxXx

The angel walked farther to the outskirts of town, and occasionally took a glance around at the people who surrounded him. Heavenly blue eyes were directed to his own wing which had been healing. The wound was now very small and nearly unnoticeable to the human eye.

"How did I heal so quickly?" He wondered as he brought his once injured wing up to his face and caressed it with his slender hands. "It's so small now but it looked horrid when I work up from falling…I thought that it would surely not heal…at least not this fast," the angel commented as he straightened himself and continued to walk, glancing around at the scenery. There were large buildings and it seemed like the further he walked, the more dismal things had become. The side of town he was in appeared dreary.

'What am I searching for? Why am I still here? What is it that I'm seeking in this strange place, day after day? I knew a while ago but I seem to have forgotten…Still, something drives me forward. It compels me to walk down this path and do its bidding. Is this what fate is?' The blonde thought to himself. 'How will I ever find out what I am searching for? Will I ever find it at all?'

He turned the corner to see two grungy-looking men standing down the alley he decided to walk down. It was dimly lit from the sun's light and the men had malicious smirks on their faces. Upon seeing him they gazed with predatory, cold eyes and one of them seemed to be concealing something underneath of the right side of his coat.

"There is one," one of them commented.

"Hey you!" The second one shouted, gaining the angel's attention.

The winged man gasped at his remark then answered kindly with a smile. "Yes? What is it?"

"Come here."

Blue eyes gazed upon them as if he didn't know whether to come over to them or not. He had an ominous feeling about it but he could not turn them away at the same time. Compassion had fueled him to not refuse. 'These two give me strange vibes. Why are they in this dark ally and why do I not trust them? I probably shouldn't…' He spoke to the two men.

"Perhaps you could step out here-" His sentence was cut short as his arm was harshly grabbed by the crushing grip of the man with free arms. His slender form was then slammed against the wall by him and he uttered an 'ouch' at the harsh contact that he made with the wall. The angel reached up to touch his injured wing and he felt a familiar pain resurface.

"We said come in here," the man directed in a harsh and commanding tone.

"Now!"

The man pulled out a gun and stuck the barrel close to the angel's face. "Give us your money." He demanded in the same tone as before.

'A gun…' The angel's eye widened slightly as he heard one of them men tell him that he would shoot him dead if he did not give up any money. The blonde replied that he didn't have any money, not knowing what would happen to him next. He knew that it would not please the men to know that he was poor and didn't seem to possess any money.

"Anything of value will do. You look like someone who has gold of some kind."

He glanced down at his bracelets and took them off, as well as two golden earrings in the shape of wings and held them out in his hands to offer then thieves. They took them and began to look them over, commenting on how they had made a haul as soon as they noticed that they were solid gold. The other man had mentioned that they could sell his jewelry at second hand shops for a hefty price.

"Looks genuine too. Never seen pieces like these before."

"Probably something designer or original."

As the two men spoke and examined their golden pieces in glee, the blonde man found a good opportunity to sneak away from them. He slowly walked down the alley and made sure not to touch anything that might snap. The thieves took off running a few moments later. One of the men turned to the other and asked if they were just going to let the freak live. He also told his partner that he was sure that the angel would turn them in. His partner agreed and decided to rid them of the problem at hand. They chased him down before he could exit the ally and pulled the gun back out, opening fire on Tsurugi.

The angel ran as bullets whizzed by his body. He thought that he would make it out but he was hit in the wing and blood sprayed out of the bend of it. The angel stumbled forward a few feet as he gasped and felt a nearly indescribable pain shoot through his body and a sorrowful expression crossed his face. 'Even if angels are on earth, no one truly cares enough to find out who they are.' The winged man thought as his form fell upon its knees. The crooks, who were sure that they had shot him fatally headed off down the street. 'I wonder how much has been lost in this very street. I could have died here but I only got hit in the wing. If I was hit in the head…I very well could have.' He arose, and looked down at the ground. He could see a few drops of red hit the ground below him that had managed to escape his wound. He placed a hand over his bleeding wing.

"It hurts…" He winced. "Just when it was healing so well."

Suddenly, his ankle was grabbed by a trembling hand. The angel gasped at the contact and quickly looked down to see who had grabbed him. It was a man who was bleeding. The man had brown hair and a mustache. He seemed to be dressed in business clothes that were stained with blood and looked to the angel with pained warm brown eyes.

"Please…Please help me…" He pleaded his voice was weak from blood loss.

Tsurugi gave him a saddened look and told him that he would help him as he gently turned him over and kneeled beside of him. He looked to his chest, where the wound had been and tried to assess the extent of the damages done to it. The angel told the injured man to lay still and not move. He could hear him thank him with a gentle voice.

A grave look crossed the angel's face. 'This is bad…He was shot in the chest and the wound will eventually shut down all of his functions that are vital. I can't even heal the wound even if I wanted to. He is destined to die…' His features softened upon making this decision. The blonde asked if the man had a family.

"No, I live by myself. All of my family are either out of the country or dead. Right now you are the only one who cares." The man glanced at the frightened people who stood on the street. Their looks ranged from angry to sad and he even noticed that a few of the small children had tears in their eyes and were questioning their parents about what was going on. "They just see me as a dying soul but you're the only one willing to help, touch and even sit by me. Even if there is nothing you can do, I can tell by the look on your face that nothing can be done."

"I'm sorry."

The man smiled at him. "Don't worry; I knew my time might have been near, considering I saw you. I knew an angel would come for me soon."

"You know I'm an angel?"

"Of course, you're the angel who's come to help lead my soul to heaven. Then I can see my wife and daughter again."

"A lot of people seem afraid of death. Why aren't you? Isn't it scary to leave the physical body when you do not know where you'll go?" The angel asked. He had not remembered anyone from his exploits through Japan that didn't scream or act in a frightened manner when someone had died. It seemed that people had a tendency to be afraid of the unknown.

"I do not fear death. To me, death is just another phase of life," the man explained. "Everyone dies and I do not believe that it is scary at all. After all, I have you seeing me through such a tragic time."

"I hope you pass peacefully," the blonde smiled calmly at him.

"You're such a kind soul. I'm glad that I got to meet an angel from heaven before I've passed out of this world. I can feel myself fading now. I can no longer see clearly and my body feels warm," the man's voice grew weaker and his eyes became clouded.

The winged man held his hand as people around him were on their cell phones, calling the police to come out and find some help for this man. His words managed to get to the man's ears, telling him that he would be there with him, until he left the physical world.

"You truly are…my guardian angel…" The man uttered in a voice that was near a whisper as he began to fade. Only a few moments later did all functions stop to his body and he had finally passed when the sounds of the ambulance was hear quickly approaching. They had not made it in time, just as the angel had predicted.

It was simply his time to go and he was happy that he could help him pass. His form disappeared and he reappeared a few feet away as he wanted the paramedics try to bring him back. He wore a sorrowful, yet understanding look. 'Now you can finally rest in peace. I hope that you can find your family…Truly this world is filled with pain but I have come to know that it is also filled with a lot of peace.'

He glanced to the skies above with a peaceful smile on his face as he silently wished the man luck on his endeavors to find his family in heaven. Surely, they would be happy to see him again.

To Be Continued…