Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tsurugi: Tsubasa no Gedatsu ❯ Resurfacing Memories ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXx

Tsurugi: Tsubasa no Gedatsu

Chapter 6: Resurfacing Memories

By: Melissa Norvell

XxXxXxXx

Zia ran towards Miko's house as quickly as she could as she led her new found angelic friend along the city streets. She knew that she had to find her friend in order to solve the problems that she and the angel had faced. The girl hurried around corners and sped down the walkways, occasionally running into a few pedestrians who dared to get in her way. Even though she was rude, she didn't care. There was something more important riding on the line- she was on a mission.

'If there's anyone that can help him, it would be his previous owner. I really can't believe that I'm holding hands with an angel. I must admit, I'm a little skeptical but I'm sure, with Miko's help, I can see more angels too. I want to believe.' Zia thought to herself as she recalled a holy image of Tsurugi praying as the beam that had nearly killed her before was brushed to the side, as if a giant hand came from above and knocked it away. 'I've never felt such a rush of emotions...I was speechless at the miracle that he had cast. Until now, I've been so skeptical...even when I was young, I didn't believe in angels...If there was such a thing, then why couldn't they have saved my brother from his fatal disease? I prayed and prayed! Mother said that angels would always answer my prayers but none ever came.' Zia hardened her expression as vivid flashbacks of her childhood raced through her head, as if she were reliving every step again. 'If angels helped people, then why didn't they answer my prayers? Why didn't they hear me? Why did they just let him die!?'

"Zia?" Tsurugi spotted the sorrowful expression on the girl's face. She seemed as though she would cry at any moment. His calm, young voice snapped her out of her dark memories and she looked over her shoulder to ask the angel what he wanted.

"You look a little worried. Is something wrong?"

"Can I ask you a question?" The girl's voice became serious as she turned her gazes to the path set before her. Tsurugi told her that she could ask him anything and that he would answer to his best knowledge. "If angels grant miracles, like the one that you granted for me, then how come not everyone gets what they pray for if it's really important?"

"Sometimes, God just wills it to be. If you die early, then it is in God's will and no amount of prayer can bring them back or save them from their fate. It's unfortunate, but angels can't help if we step in and try, then things will end up worse for the person and the angel will be cast down from heaven. It's a very delicate situation," the blonde angel explained as they ran up a concrete driveway and to a large, wooden door that was the entrance way to a quaint little house. Zia knocked on the door and the two of them waited for a few moments before their knock was answered.

XxXxXx

They all went to Miko's room to hold their private discussion. Her parents both worked so no one was home but her. The trio stayed up in her room and the girl grew warm with her former guardian angel's presence near her. It brought back a beautiful nostalgia that she had always loved, even from youth.

"I can't believe I've finally met you again, Tsurugi," the long-haired girl smiled warmly at the blonde angel who seemed a little confused.

"Tsurugi? Is that my name?"

"Yes, I'd know you anywhere. I'm glad that I found you and I feel that I can repay you for all that you've done for me," Miko was blissful and tranquil with her statement but on the inside, she was quite excited about taking on this task. She had known that it was sheer fate that the two of them were destined to meet again. Tsurugi had always taken such good care of her and she decided to do the same for him, now that he needed her help.

Most of all, she was happy that God had delivered him to her doorstep.

"What have I done for you?" The angel asked.

"You used to be my guardian angel when I was small."

"You...Were you the little girl in my thoughts?"

"In your thoughts?" Miko blinked and put a finger to her lips in question.

"Yes, a little girl appeared in my thoughts often. I can see her face but I can't remember her name." Even at that moment, Tsurugi still tried to think of who that strange but familiar little girl could be, but still his brain came up with no answer.

"Does she look like this?" Miko held up a portrait of herself as a child at her eighth birthday party and showed it to the angel, who seemed to recognize it instantly.

"Yes, that's her but what are the white sparkles in the picture?" Tsurugi pointed to a few large, white sparkled in the top right hand corner of the picture.

"It's you," Miko smiled sweetly.

"Me?"

"Its how you appear in photographs," the brown-haired girl informed him. "Spirits always look like some sort of film exposure. You've always been with me. You've told me many things about you. I know." The girl grabbed his hands and placed them on both sides of her face.

"Huh? What are you doing?" Tsurugi asked.

"You're psychic, right? You told me so when I was small, so you should be able to read my mind and search my thoughts," Miko informed the angel of his own powers. "You told me so when I was small. You should be able to read my mind and search my thoughts."

"That's really private, don't you think?" Tsurugi wasn't too sure that he wanted to delve deeply into someone's thoughts. This is why thoughts stayed confined in the mind; they were private and not meant to be shared with anyone or anything. He was astonished that she'd want to share such information with him.

"It's never been an issue before. You're my guardian angel and whether or not you want it, you'll see what happens to everyone and you know their secrets," Miko told him. Angels knew the destiny of all living things, just as God did. They were created to help maintain order and the balance of things in the mortal world and they never told secrets, simply basked in their own silence and knowledge that they contained. The knowledge that would never reach the ears of any mortal thing for fear of disrupting the delicate balance of things and throwing the world into chaos.

"Is that what those visions I've been having were?" Tsurugi asked.

"Visions?" Zia questioned. The topic at hand confused her.

"Yes, every time something has happened. I could see it in a vision," the blonde angel recalled the dying man and the steel beam that nearly killed Zia. "Even now, I can see things."

"Yeah, if she knows you, then she can show you at least a little about yourself," Zia remarked. This is how she would help Tsurugi out.

"You've told me about yourself and I figured that you could relearn what you've told me at least," Miko was willing to share that vital information with her old guardian.

"Have I told you where my home is, or how to get there?" If Tsurugi could have the question answered, then he could return home and recover his memories that way.

"Yes, I remember that I had once asked you when I was small. So I know how to get you home. I'm glad that I found you before anyone else could," the tranquil girl looked sorrowful and worried as the consequences mulled themselves over in her head. "I don't know what I would do if anything bad happened to you," Miko then hugged the angel tightly. It was nice to embrace him once more as she felt the gentle warmth flow through her.

Tsurugi recalled the vivid imagery of when he was shot. He still remembered the sharp, searing pain of the bullet and how he saw his blood flying all around him. The noise of the gunshot echoed through his head as he immersed himself deep in thought. 'I don't think I'll tell her. All that matters is that I'm alright now.' He wrapped his long arms around the girl in turn and told her that he was alright.

'My name is Miko. Are you my guardian angel?' Tsurugi could see a small, innocent girl with long, brown hair in a white sun dress. She had large eyes and looked very happy as she stood amongst the green grass of some field.

'Yes, I'm here to protect you from harm,' he remembered telling her as a gentle wind blew through his robes and caused the blue, gold and white material to dance in the wind.

'But nothing is hurting me now,' the girl didn't know why she needed to be protected if nothing was hurting her.

'There are many things that cause harm to the delicate balance of things. You can even be harmful to yourself.' In the real world, far away from her parents, many things threatened the child's life but now, at this moment, he wanted to protect her from herself and potential threats. Even if things seemed calm, there was always that threat.

'Me?' The girl pointed to herself.

'Negative surroundings cause negative nature,' Tsurugi educated.

'Negative is bad, isn't it?' Miko looked up at him.

'In most cases.'

'Uh, I have questions. It's probably kind of dumb,' the girl put a finger to her lips and pivoted her foot in embarrassment.

'What question is that?' Tsurugi found her innocent actions amusing.

'What guardian angels do and how do you get one? Does everyone have them?' Miko was quite curious on angels and wanted to know everything about the magical creatures that inhabited her world. To her, it was as if all of her fantasies have come true.

'We protect you from harm that can be altered,' Tsurugi explained.

'Altered?' Miko didn't know what a big word like that meant.

'There are some things in fate that only humans can change. Some things that can be changed by divine intervention and other that can't be changed. Fate has certain leeway in things like that,' the angel informed. However, there were some things that absolutely could not be changed, no matter how hard both the angel and human tried. Nothing could go against God's will and if it was in God's plans for it to happen then it would happen in the way that he intended it to.

'So you can't change big things, right?'

'We can. It just depends on what the probability of happening is. If there's even a small chance that you can pull through we'll help. We can alter a situation that would be no circumstances be altered but we have to make a sacrifice. It usually hinders the angel,' Tsurugi explained.

'Does it hurt you?' Miko didn't know what 'hinder' meant.

'Sometimes we can either be asked to by our masters or do it on our own,' the angel continued to explain to the small girl. It was easier telling a child than it was someone who was older. It was more than likely the impression factor; seeing as children were far more likely to believe something so strange, while an adolescent or adult would be cynical and skeptical of his statements.

'Masters?' The girl wondered aloud. She was very curious about angels and the way they lived. It was like meeting a character from a storybook. Miko liked the feeling that she got when she was around him. It was an innocent and happy feeling that she loved. It was like a daydream or a fantasy world.

'The ones we have guardianship over are our masters. They summon us when they are in danger. They help us and we help them. The balance between us is fragile.'

'This is wonderful! I can't believe that I can see a real angel!' The girl nearly giggled with excitement as she jumped in joy. Her brown silken locks shimmered in the sunshine as she made an encounter with her first supernatural friend.

'Only those who believe can see us,' the angel advised to the child. With this piece of information, she could chose whether or not she wanted to see him and as soon as she lost faith, she would lose him until she regained it.

Tsurugi's heavenly blue eyes widened as the flashback ended and he simply stood there in silence. Miko looked up at him in question and wondered what was wrong. She didn't do anything intentional to him. Maybe he had recalled some of his memories. She could only hope that they were helpful or good ones.

"What's he doing?" Zia asked.

"When he touched me, his memories probably started to flow back to him," Miko explained. Surely that's what happened.

"So, he'll remember everything, right?" Miko's friend hoped that taking her to see the brown-haired girl was a blessing in disguise.

"Everything that has to deal with our time together. If he goes back to heaven, then I'm sure he'll get his memories completely back. Things might be tough but there's a saying that my mother always told me that helps," the quaint girl smiled.

"What?"

"This too, shall pass. Things can only get better for him. I just know it," Miko looked at the angel and continued to smile. She knew in her heart that God had a good plan for him. She knew that God would lead him home help him to regain his memories. After all, angels were God's most precious gifts.

"How long will he sit there like that?" Zia wondered after she'd been staring at the frozen winged figure for a good ten or so minutes.

"Not very long, unlike humans, angels can gather information like this at unbelievable speed. That's why they are divine," Miko was right with what she had said. The angel managed to gather all of the information from their meeting and their time together simply by touching the girl for a good hour. It was an hour that spanned over a decade with the girl, who grew into a spiritual teen.

It was a past that he was glad he could recover.

It was a precious thing that he did not want to live without.

XxXxXx

Soon it was time for the angel to depart on his journey. He and the two girls stood in front of the doorway of Miko's house. Soon they would be departing but they knew that if they left it in God's hands, then Tsurugi would return to them one day. Miko and Zia wished to see him again as soon as he recovered his memories. After he left the mortal plain, Miko would take her friend under her wing and decided to to her how to strengthen her beliefs in angels so that she too, could see Tsurugi again one day clearly and know the joys that one would experience with being in the grace of angels.

"Why did you leave Miko anyway?" Zia asked. After she had heard the conversation that had taken place earlier and noticed what a close bond the two of them had, she wondered why they ever parted ways.

"We don't leave, we are always watching," Tsurugi replied with a gentle smile. "If ever you call upon me then I'll come to you. I owe you both a lot, thank you."

"I'm just happy to see you again. It's too bad that our time together was so short." That was Miko's only regret but she saw how happy the angel was to be going back home. She knew that this was the right thing to do.

"I'll see you all soon. You just need to call upon me and I'll answer your prayers."

"I will! Take care, Tsurugi!"

"Hey, thanks for everything. You really changed the way I believe about angels," Zia stepped towards him and looked into his calm, blue eyes with a thankful expression. He really changed her from an unhappy, cynical person into a believer- a woman of faith and a calmer, happier person. She felt so much better when she put her faith in something, instead of resenting the world for all that it had not done for her she now loved the world for all that it can do for her.

"Of course," Tsurugi smiled, "I was happy to help."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"Can I pray as well?" Zia asked.

"I'm sure that you have your own guardian angel just waiting to be noticed. You just need to look for them." After all, there was a guardian angel for everyone. Zia's would surely be thankful that she wished for him or her to be in her life after many years of being simply a shadow who worked undercover to make her life easier.

"I will, I just want to be able to talk to you again," the black-haired girl was a little worried. She didn't want to break off her communication with the blonde angel. He had become very close to her and to simply say goodbye without any further communication would make her very sad.

"I'm sure we will," Tsurugi flapped his wings and gently raised off of the ground as his form was pulled up into the sky, a good half of a story above the girls. He turned to them and put a hand up to wave. The blonde angel thanked them as he felt the gentle winds caressing his form. They caused his clothing and long, blonde hair to dance gently in their breeze. "I'm sure that I can get home without fail."

Zia waved and bid him good-bye. She was filled with a mix of happiness and sorrow. The black-haired girl didn't want him to leave but she did want him to go back home. After all, she had no right to keep him on Earth when he true calling lied in heaven. She watched as he flew higher and higher.

"Good bye," Miko said gently as a feather floated down to her. The girl reached out and grasped it in her hand and examined it with those same warm, brown eyes. 'I'll miss you and I wish you well. Please come back one day, Tsurugi.'

Both of the girls watched as the angel flew out of their sights and disappeared into the clouds of the sky. As he flew higher and higher with the winds rushing through his hair and feathers, he thought to himself with anticipation.

'I've learned so much since I've been on Earth,' he recalled all of the people and spirits that had run into while on the mortal plain. They each taught him a valuable lesson about humanity and how to make observations about life and humanity itself. Where there was bad, there was also good somewhere to counter it and as long as the struggle continued, the angels were needed. Some people were very kind to him and some were very mean to him but all of them served a purpose in his life and the lives of others. All things- from life to death were important and played a very vital role to the cycle of things. Faith and doubt went hand-in-hand and how you felt depended on the situation. People chose what their world would be ruled by and different people felt different ways. 'I've met many people and witnessed many events that most angels would not. I've learned that this world can be a cold place.' Tsurugi recalled the robbers who shot him, the humiliation and rejection he felt from the judgmental people who called him a freak and the man who had passed away before his very eyes. '...but it can also be a very wonderful place...' The blonde angel smiled and gazed up at a brightly shining light as thoughts of the small girl who had been caught in the rain shower, Miko and Zia ran through his memories. 'It's a true enigma surrounded in mysteries that only a God as great as ours would know the answers to. I am left with a mix of emotions and hope for a world that teeters on existence every day. Humans are truly remarkable creatures. I wish each day that they would continue to live. I hope their hearts will be strong through all of the sorrow and evil that exists and maybe one day, I'll see them there.'

As his thoughts ended, a large, golden light bathed his form in warmth. A large parting in two massive, thunderhead clouds shone with extreme brilliance. The angel smiled as he looked into the depths of his home.

"I'm finally here," Tsurugi replied with fond feeling as he flew closer into the massive golden light. "I'm here...I'm here to reclaim my memories..." He closed his eyes as he let the warmth of heaven overcome him. "Already, I can feel them coming back to me. Now I am complete."

With those final words, the angel flew into the warmth of his home, his heart was filled with peace and all of his memories soon returned to him, just as God had planned. Now the angel could fly upon wings of revelation.

'My heart is now filled with peace,' the angel thought as he flew towards an ever-changing destiny. This was his fate as an angel. He could never forget those that he'd met on his journey and he would always keep them close to his heart, a painful and joyous reminder of the world's constant change. Each one had made its impression on his heart and with his new knowledge, he now held compassion that most angels could not fathom and upon his pristine wings of revelation he would use that knowledge to help those who needed him and guide the oppressed souls on a path of faith and redemption.

*THE END*

COMPLETED: 7/29/08

FINISHED TYPED OUT VERISON: 10/22/08

REVISED VERSION: 7/7/12