Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome Light, Embrace Darkness ❯ Welcome Light, Embrace Darkness ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Cold and bare I stand, looking myself in the mirror. The pathetic reflection of an entity who has endured thousands of years of anguish stares back at me, cascading strands of white hair masking the true eyes of hatred I've held inside of myself for so long. I am told I am refined, perfection in many senses of the word.
 
No, I despise myself. How can someone as pitiful as me be idolized? My voice captivates many, my sorrowful melodies tugging countless strings wrapped around the hearts of my audience. They applaud, but what do I gain in the end? I am adored, but how far will it bring me?
 
I bash my fist into the mirror. I swear my reflection mocks me. It is you, isn't it? You have always mocked me. Why? I was born in the light and you in the darkness. You have tried many times to drag me in with you. Maybe I should stop resisting. Perhaps I should shun the light. Why bask in the ray of light I don't deserve?
 
Tears roll from my cheeks. I bawl and scream as I slam my fist into the mirror over and over, willing your disgusting image away from my mind. But I cannot. The glass shatters, hitting the floor one jagged piece at a time. My will is broken. To think my son is cursed to have me as a father. Perhaps his mother was wise in abandoning me. Maybe my mother was right…maybe they were all right. I was once named a king.
 
But I was not a king. I was a fool. A fool who believed in living happily ever after.
 
But perhaps I am being too harsh on myself. I try to smile, but my lips refuse to form that crease--that smile that melts the hearts of the women I pass by in my feeble mortal existence. I look to the ceiling—no, past the ceiling. I look to the stars, searching for an answer. Anything that can calm the storm roaring inside my blackened heart.
 
There is nothing. I had forgotten. The Gods forsake me. They cast me aside like the others.
 
I was alone…wallowing near the edge of darkness, cowering like a feeble child.
 
I feel my insides turn numb as I drop my head. The final tear drops and the shattered reflection on the floor becomes clear even as crimson stains the serrated pieces. This chilling air wraps around me and I feel my heart grow colder as I build walls of ice around myself.
 
Finally, I smile, feeling a sense of comfort I've since long forgotten. I can no longer cry. I cannot explain why, but I feel as though I've cast out my demons at last.
 
But no, I have merely shut them out of my frozen heart along with true happiness. I have crossed the threshold to the light, the ice unable to melt from its rays.
 
I welcome you Light. This is my Darkness.