Other Fan Fiction ❯ Wrong Place, Wrong Time ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Chapter 11: Labyrinth

"I'm going to the labyrinth..." Master Ureksa announces, and without another word he leaves.

I watch him walk out as if I don't exist, I'm sure those words were spoken more to himself than anyone else. After Sakuro is gone as well, following a casual goodbye to me, I'm about to go back to work, but find that I can't focus, so instead I decide to go get some materials, I need more anyway.

I'm pretty sure Master Ureksa must have used the teleporter to go deeper into the labyrinth. I'm not skilled enough to go too far so I'll work my way down. I think I'll start with a work out in the eleventh basement level. I usually don't go much further, but that's enough to get materials, sell some, and get the materials found only deeper underground.

The teleporter is a true wonder, powered by modified summonite gems, the teleporter is activated by a hammer, retrieving the information of the labyrinth from the user's memories and taking a person only as far as they have gone before. To create a sort of check point, one has to hit the teleporter with a hammer and after that jolt, it can be used.

When I reappear on basement level eleven, I am surprised to see that Master Ureksa is there. "Master Ureksa?"

"I decided to walk all the way down; at least the exercise will be good." I understand, Master Ureksa is a great Craftlord, this labyrinth must be no challenge for him, but at least he can get some exercise going all the way to the bottom without using the teleporters.

"Master Ureksa, behind you!" A Jelly Slime is trying to sneak up on him. But the yellow stray summon departed without even realizing what hit it.

With one swift swing, or should I say poke, of his spear, the stray summon was gone. Not only is Master Ureksa very strong and skilled, but his weapons are amazing. The stray summons of level eleven are no match for him and I'm sure none of them are even in the deeper levels.

Now I feel silly for shouting out a warning as if there was actual danger involved. For someone like me it can be dangerous if I'm not alert, but for a master Craftlord, this is nothing. I once again feel as if I am at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

"I need a challenge..." once again I'm not sure if Ureksa is speaking to me, or simply thinking aloud.

I reply anyway, "maybe a different weapon? I mean if you try traveling down the labyrinth with a weapon different from the one you're used to, then it will be more challenging, right?"

"Yes..." he eyes my drill, but I'm sure he won't ask to borrow it, or temporarily trade it, because true Craftknight and Craftlords only fight with they're own weapons. That's when he pulls something out of his coat. "This will do," he places his spear on his back and moves on.

I curiously follow, "I've never seen a drill like that before," I'm assuming it's a drill, but I can't be sure. It looks more like part of a food processor, something used to make milkshakes.

"It's not, I learned this technique from Sakuro, his idea of a friendly get together of Craftlords is making kitchen equipment with everyone. Sometimes I think he knows as many kitchen techniques as he does weapons, if not more." I'm happy to talk to Master Ureksa this way, but at the same time sad because I know I'm not anywhere near his level.

"Sounds like him," I can at least pretend for a moment that we're friends talking casually, but he's a Craftlord and I'm just a kid. I am not a child in age but I feel as if my skill is at the level of a child who just started forging.

Master Ureksa makes his way to the teleporter and vanishes. He says something before disappearing but I'm too lost in thought to catch it or reply. I wish I could watch him fighting strong stray summons with a kitchen appliance, but can't hold my own down there. I have not gotten far enough and I can only use the teleporter to go where I have been before.

I decide that I'm just not in the mood to be at the labyrinth and I head over to the teleporter. As I fade away to reappear on the first level, I see something strange. It's hard to describe but it's like a picture mirroring the background behind it, except it had a shape that's not flat as a picture would be. It's as if an item of a certain color has been placed in front of a wall of the same color. It's hard to see but it's there. I assume it's all an effect of the teleporter and dismiss it. That would later prove to be a mistake.

When I reappear on the first level I hear voices, a man and a woman, and I recognize them as belonging to Master Sakuro and Master Kouren who had just finished speaking. "It's been sudden and fast..."

"Are you still in love with him?" Sakuro's question is direct, but I'm not sure who he is talking about and my mind is flooded with possible answers, everyone from Ureksa to even Bron.

"I'm not," Kouren replied quickly without thinking too much of it. Suddenly I'm relieved because the chance of the man Sakuro asked about being Ureksa no longer matters if Kouren said no.

My heart pounds with anticipation, wondering if they're breaking up. I wouldn't mind if Sakuro is single for the rest of his life, I know I can't be with him, I'm just not good enough, but it would be great if my impossible dreams are never shattered. "Need some time off then, a little time to think about things? That's fine, I can understand. I have no intentions of rushing things."

I know it's wrong of me to wish for Sakuro to live a lonely life but if I can console him even a little, only as a friend, then I'm selfish enough to wish for it... it's only a wish after all.

The footsteps come closer and I rush out of the labyrinth. I'm pretty sure they saw me, or at least heard me. It's the story of my life; I'm always in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Chapter 12: Divergence

It's been a week since the day when Sakuro and Kouren started taking some time off. They seem to be interacting as friends quite normally. Things have slowed between Bron and Amariss as if they lingered on the line between friends and more than friends for a while before slowly drifting into the territory of friends. When it comes to Razzy and Kenon it's hard to say. Razzy loves flowers, she loves sneaking to the sunflower garden at Central Tower, she likes going out for candy with Kenon and sparring. They're not lovey dovey which is why it's hard to tell if that's simply how their relationship works or if they are only on friends level right now, getting to know each other better before upgrading the relationship.

It's pretty clear that Cleru and Sugar are in love. Sugar is very affectionate and has no problems showing it in public. Cleru is usually a bit embarrassed but he can be pretty passionate when he thinks no one is looking and doesn't realize that one girl with bad timing happens to be walking by. Varil and Pratty are still together too. It's easy to see that things are going well for them when they give each other those looks, when they walk together hand in hand and the way Varil never wastes an opportunity to put his arms around Pratty.

As for me, I'm single, no surprise there, but I'm not bitter. I'm living the life I always wanted so I'm happy. My thoughts occasionally wander towards Master Sakuro but I haven't said or done anything. More often my thoughts go towards Master Ureksa and I ask myself if that second platonic crush is growing out of proportion.

Time passes, the months fly by and a year is gone. I've been working hard and have managed to repay Rumari in full. She wouldn't take any extra cash so I sent her some gifts instead.

Sometimes, I think back to that strange thing I saw at the Labyrinth, that thing that looked like a perfectly clear glass figure moving. A figure of glass that was so pure that it was practically invisible, save for the barely perceivable effects of the light. Sometimes I wonder what it was and secretly wish it was more than just my imagination or the effect of the world fading and changing before my eyes as I was materialized somewhere else. Secretly, I crave for adventure.

Today is a special day in the crowded Central Tower. The Craftlords are hosting a weapon exhibit, witch of course hosts weapons they made themselves. There are also weapons made by master Craftknights who for various reasons may not hold the title of Craftlord but are at a high enough level to be Craftlords. That of course includes the original Craftlord of Jade, Rumari, who gave her title to her brother Ureksa when she became ill and did not wish to take it back when she was healed, and Bron who refused the title of Craftlord when it was offered to him years ago, or so I heard.

I attended the display, admiring the detail of the elegant but powerful weapons. They are durable and strong, yet they look like decorative pieces even if they're deadly. It makes me realize how behind I truly am in forging, but I haven't been doing that anymore, I've dedicated myself fully to engines, especially drill engines, that's what I'm good at.

Master Sakuro has been quite busy today, answering questions and gracefully accepting compliments. To summarize, he's surrounded by fan girls. I can say the same for Master Ureksa and somehow it just burns me up. I know I can't do anything about it, I would like to think that I'm closer to them than those girls, but when it comes down to it, I'm just another fan girl. Although I would prefer if they didn't find out, I don't want to be seen as just another fan, I wish for more, I wish for what I can't have.

Angry at the situation, I decide that it's best to leave. I've already taken a look around, I could examine the displayed weapons in more detail but I can't stand to listen to those stupid little giggles and from the corner of my eyes watch the mischievous smiles, and the looks that last longer than they should. So I leave; I leave and I go off to the labyrinth to blow off some steam.

I notice that the door is closed but that's fine because I have a key. That door was only recently installed and there was usually someone standing guard there. As I shut the door behind me I heard someone shout "hey!" but it's too late. I disappear in the teleporter by the time the door once again opens.

I realize that everyone who has a key to that door must currently be gathered at the exhibition. In fact, all the apprentice Craftknights were required to attend, and those who were not required to go were invited and the invitation was insisted upon. I realized that I'm probably the only one in the labyrinth right now, and I feel a cold chill run up and down my spine. But being alone has never bothered me; I find peace in being by myself. However, I have the feeling that I'm not alone, and that I'm not in the best company.

I shake my head and press on. I'm being silly, there's nothing to worry about. It's not like I'm going too deep into the labyrinth. Strangely enough, there are hardly any stray summons in my path. I guess I should be thankful. I'm on basement level eleven; this should be easy enough for me. But as I walk south of the teleporter and turn a corner, I see pieces of wood smashed all over the place, a mountain of broken crates and barrels blocking the path.

My first thought was to wonder what in the world happened, and my second was to question the real reason behind the weapons display and the fact that every person who has a key to the Labyrinth was attending. The "hey" I heard when I entered the labyrinth echoes in my mind and I realize that not every person who has a key was at the display. I don't remember seeing anyone in a guard uniform... Suddenly I really feel as if I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time, and when I hear some groans and growls near by, followed by a high pitch sound that I do not recognize, I know it's time to get out of here.

Chapter 13: Pride

There's a Sniperhead flying above the teleporter. That kind of stray summon can be commonly found on basement level twenty-six, so why is it on eleven? Either way, I'm pretty sure that what's behind me is far worse.

I rush towards the teleporter, waving my drill around at the Sniperhead; sadly I can't jump too high. I shield myself with my weapon and watch as something grabs the Sniperhead and it fires away desperately, a good amount of the shots reaching me. I didn't see what grabbed it, I saw a glass-like blur of something fierce blending perfectly with the background and I disappeared via the teleporter.

I reappeared on level one, composed myself as fast as I could, and walked over to the door, praying that I wasn't locked in because I just realized that I lost the key. I panicked thinking I was trapped, only to find the key sitting on the floor by my feet. Fortunately, the door responded to the key and the one who shouted before was not there. I wondered if he had gone in after me, taking a wrong guess as to which level I teleported to. But as I shut the door behind me, certain that if the guard is in there he has a key, after all the door was locked a moment ago, I feel as if it's over.

I'm not sure what that was but I feel safe now that I'm away from it. Ironically, the scare doesn't compare to the same event plus a witness. Far from feeling secure I would feel worse knowing that there was someone there to watch it happen and throw it in my face later, telling me how unprepared I am. I fear lectures far more than I fear stray summons, if that's what that thing was.

Once I made certain that no one saw my pathetic frightened expression, I walk with my head held high. Admittedly I'm a mess, but who's to say I didn't get these cuts fighting something big? Far from being worried, I feel adventurous.

I walk out of the forging room next to the labyrinth entrance, arriving at the main entrance to the first level of Central Tower, just as Sakuro is pretending to need a break and some fresh air, but I have a feeling that it's only an excuse to go check out the labyrinth. Surely the missing guards must be part of an investigation team that's already down there. "What happened to you?"

I quickly make up an excuse. "It's nothing, I just wanted a little training." If I tell him what I saw he might know what it is, and he might know that it's strong enough to tare me apart and thus I'll have to admit these injuries are from a less worthy foe because if they were from that invisible thing I would be dead instead of just injured. I know I'm not supposed to know what's going on, and I don't want any extra precautions to be taken to stop me from knowing. Because I like knowing and I can control myself, I wouldn't have gone to the labyrinth if I knew the real reason why I'm not supposed to. I would have enjoyed the exhibition and I wouldn't have taken this risk. Truthfully I don't care if my testimony is helpful, which I doubt it would be beyond hinting the location of the strange phenomenon which they would have easily figured out anyway, but either way, I want to keep my own tiny amount of glory and the feeling of being adventurous.

"I thought you were at the exhibition." I wonder if I really am catching a hint of disappointment in his voice or if I'm just imagining it. I wonder if that disappointment, if it's even there, is due to my leaving or to the possibility of someone knowing what she is not supposed to know. Secretly I wish for the first, but realistically speaking it's probably the latter.

"The weapons were great, very inspiring!" I sound sincere because I am sincere. "Just looking at them made me want to do some training," I'm not lying at all; I'm being completely honest even if I'm saying this mostly as an excuse.

'I'm glad you enjoyed them so much, but the labyrinth will always be there and who knows when the exhibition will come back, so you should enjoy it while you can." I nod unsure if I should assume Sakuro believes that I was left in this state by a regular summon creature of the lower labyrinth levels, or if he thinks it was something more.

"I will! I think I'll just go home and take a shower first, then I'll go back to the exhibition." I'm smiling as if this is nothing, as if it doesn't hurt when the rips in my clothes brush against the fresh cuts, as if I'm cool enough to train like this all the time and tough enough to bear with it.

"Sounds good," Master Sakuro smiles casually, his expression shifting to a serious one in a split second, "just stay out of the labyrinth," and he continues on his way making no effort to hide his destination, the labyrinth. I wonder if I'm just that easy to read, I didn't think I was, or if Master Sakuro is just really good at reading people.

I returned to the Silver Guild and glanced at my water scooter which is sitting in a corner feeling ignored. I used the teleporter to go to level eleven a while ago, and I always walk along the bridges instead of taking the shortcuts through the water when I want to go anywhere. I still don't know how to swim and I remember all the close calls I've had with that scooter, and the impending fear of coming close to losing a limb or two. If I never have to use that thing again I'll be happy. I'll just use the teleporter and stick to the levels that are not too flooded.

While the warm water washes over my body in the shower, I contemplate the necessity of knowing how to swim when living in a tower in the middle of the ocean. But my choice doesn't change; I'm not asking anyone for any lessons until I have the body of a model and the smoothest skin. Taking into consideration the extra scratches from today and the old scars from clumsy forging, it might be a while before any of that comes true. I laugh at myself for putting vanity before safety and for continuing to live here with no intentions of leaving; even knowing that water is always the wrong place for me regardless of the time.

Chapter 14: Trust

It was useless to pretend I didn't know about the creature that hid in the labyrinth. Master Bron got the information out of me and sent me to have a talk with Master Sakuro. I did not argue and went.

I knocked on the door to Master Sakuro's house and he opened it. "Come in," he offered me a seat. "What brings you here?"

I sit at the table, watching Master Sakuro steer the contents of a pot in the adjacent kitchen. It's curry, I'm sure, the scent of Master Sakuro's curry is unmistakable. "Master Bron told me to talk to you about the labyrinth."

"There is nothing to worry about," Sakuro assured me. "But if you were sent to me then it's because you must already be aware of the situation, or part of it. Master Bron has told me that when you suspect something is going on you ask around. Those questions might get people thinking about the situation, even more so if you pass along what you have heard so far when searching for new information. Rumors might get started that way and people might come to the wrong conclusions; or the right conclusions..."

"I don't mean to gossip, I just want to know what's going on. If I hear something I don't claim it to be true. If I comment on it I clarify that it's something I heard and don't know if it's true or not," besides, I don't think the Craftlords are being fair telling only a select number of people about what's happening. It's true that the masses are stupid and panicky, but I am not. I want to be part of that group. "Besides, I don't know if I'm dealing with a secret if no one tells me. Until I figure out what's going on I won't know if it was supposed to be a secret or not."

"And by then it will be too late," that's exactly what I wanted Sakuro to say.

"Exactly, but if I'm told to keep a secret then I'm good at it," I'm proud of myself for being a little troublesome to him. It's not supposed to be something to be proud of but I am, because it means I'm smart enough not to be so easily tricked and he'll just have to accept that.

"I see..." Sakuro steers the pot some more, adding in some spices. I think I have him right where I want him, I think that I'm about to be included on the inside information, but my hopes soon fall. "Then I will ask you to keep anything you hear a secret."

"Anything? That's not very specific; if it's not a secret then I rather share." He's turning my own words against me, trying to keep me quiet without telling me anything in return.

"You know how it is, the less you know the safer you are..." This is a well known saying, in other words, ignorance is bliss, but not for me.

"I'm not a panicky idiot, nor do I enjoy ignorance," I'm starting to get annoyed.

Master Sakuro puts the finishing touches on the curry; the funniest part is when he starts blowing kisses at it. "You have to add love, it's an important ingredient," he explains, changing the subject for a moment. I nod, lost in his Sapphire eyes, he's charming, but I need to remember why I'm here. "Tell you what," he smiles that irresistible smile, "if you hear anything come to me and tell me all about it but don't spread it and don't search for more information since that might cause rumors to spread even if you're not trying to cause that."

I have a feeling I might not be coming very often. "Just because you're a Craftlord doesn't mean you're better than everyone else," watch as I insert my foot in my mouth yet again. "A lot of people are panicky idiots but some are actually smart. I'm not your messenger girl, Sakuro. Whatever I find out for myself is my business and you can't tell me not to socialize with people."

"You're going to gain a reputation for being a gossipy girl," Sakuro is getting annoyed, his expression becoming serious.

"I don't care, I rather be a gossipy girl than an ignorant fool," it is the truth.

"You're being childish and selfish!" The curry is done and Sakuro lets the pot cool for a few minutes.

"So are you," I glare; I'm not going to let anyone step all over me.

Sakuro sighs, "if you spread rumors-"

I cut him off, "I'm not spreading rumors I'm looking for the truth!"

He raises his voice signaling for me to listen, "if you spread rumors intentionally or not, it will cause trouble. You shouldn't put your own curiosity before Wystern."

"Why should I have any loyalty towards a nation that doesn't trust me? I cannot believe that those who do not trust me will protect me, so inevitably I'll try to be ready. I mean no harm; I just don't trust you because you don't trust me. I'm not stupid and I can't tolerate being treated as such." I'm not going to back down.

"Yet you're okay with it as long as you're in," Sakuro makes an important point, but not enough to shut me up.

"I understand that not everyone knows how to remain calm and I have no intensions of telling the wrong people," I argue.

And he turns it against me, "yes you're right, not everyone knows how to stay calm."

"I am calm when I know what I'm facing. I can't be calm surrounded by lies," I give him my deadliest glare. "I hate being used."

"Maybe you should leave Wystern..." I can't believe he suggested that.

"You can't kick me out," or maybe he can? "You know it's not fair and I would have full rights to come back even if it's just to walk around the public areas."

"And cause trouble? Do you know what you're saying? You're basically telling me that you don't care about Wystern, you just want to be a part of some game that's not even a game, this is serious business and you're talking about personal grudges and revenge?"

"When did I ever say that?" He read too far into my words, I did hint I would try to get back at him and he caught it, but the problem isn't that he caught it; the problem is that he turned it against me. "Wystern are its people not the Central Tower building and not a small group of elite Craftknights. Wystern may be the city of swords but a sword is not strength, or skill or fellowship," I throw out Wystern's famous saying, which Sakuro likes to quote. "There's more to things than just appearances, excuse me for valuing trust." I get up and head for the door fuming.

"Wait! This is serious, what do you intend to do?" He grabs my arm and I shake him off.

"Nothing, I'm not selfish enough to cause a panic over a personal grudge as you called it. I'll stop trying to figure things out. I'll live in blissful ignorance and I won't pass any information along to anyone. What I hear I will not speak of, just don't expect me to help when it all blows up, because the truth always comes out." I reach for the doorknob and unnecessarily add some very bitter tasting words, "you just lost my respect. But don't worry; I can still pretend you have it for the sake of the honest Craftlords of Iron." Then I leave, fuming all the way to the Silver Guild and I realize that maybe I was being too hard on Sakuro, he must be under a lot of stress after all.

Chapter 15: Sakuro's Kitchen

I'm such an idiot. After I told off Sakuro I went straight to my room to cry on my pillow. I have a really big mouth sometimes and I know I was harsher than I needed to be. I wouldn't be surprised if I really am labeled as a traitor and kicked out.

There is a knock on my door and I immediately try to dry my tears. I take long deep breaths and try to calm down. I clear my throat and reply as well as I can, "just a minute." I sprint from my bed and search for a mirror. It's evident I've been crying so I run into the adjacent bathroom, which is uncomfortably small but serves its purpose. I splash some cool water on my face and cup my hands together to drink some in hopes of getting rid of the lump in my throat. I quickly dry off with a towel and run to answer the door.

I find it odd that Master Bron didn't simply come in, since he barges in all the time. He assumes that if I want privacy I'll use the lock, and if the door is not locked, there's no need to knock. Then I realize that the reason this was a bit unusual for Master Bron was because the one knocking wasn't Master Bron.

Master Sakuro stood at the door to my work shop and room holding a bowl of curry with a cheesy smile plastered on his face as if we never argued at all. I stared at him in shock, wishing to just disappear off the face of the planet, then I moved to close the door but he stopped it with his foot. "I had some extra curry, so I thought I should share some."

"Ah... Um... Ah..." I'm too surprised to say anything coherent right now.

"Oh is my curry really that good? You were rendered speechless just by its delicious scent!" Sakuro places the bowl in my hands and it takes everything I have to make sure it doesn't slip out of my grip. My arms and legs feel like jelly right now.

"I... Ah..." The words just refuse to come out, no matter how hard I try to push them out they refuse.

"You should eat up; it's obvious you're very impressed by the curry. Let's eat dessert together, okay? I'll be at my house," and without another word, Sakuro leaves.

I stand there for a moment frozen in shock and a few minutes later Master Bron walks by. "That smells good! Sakuro didn't bring me any curry, but I prefer Amariss' cooking anyway. Hey, if you're not gonna eat that then I will, don't just stand there holding the curry."

"Huh?" I look at the curry then at Master Bron, then back at the curry and back at Bron. "Of course I'm going to eat it." I go back into my work shop and set the bowl down on the table. I dig out my homemade spoon and dig in. The spoon is a crooked forged mess, but serves its purpose. Sakuro is really a great cook.

After eating the curry I washed the bowl and summoned all my courage to return to Sakuro's house. I took a deep breath, willed any possible left over tears to evaporate and knocked on the door.

As soon as my hand made contact with the door it was opened and there stood Sakuro with that same silly smile. "I'm glad you could make it, come in, have a seat."

I nod and follow him in, handing him the empty bowl, "thanks for the curry, it was really great."

"You're welcome, I'm glad to share the joys of curry," Sakuro really likes curry and has an amazing ability in the kitchen. He also has the amazing ability to easily overcome awkward moments or so it seems.

"Um... I..." I'm not sure how to phrase things. I came but I didn't take time to organize my thoughts.

"Right, right, you came because you were promised dessert." Sakuro placed a delicious looking chocolate cake on the table. "The lady down the street makes cakes and sells them. It's not a formal business, but the cake is delicious. We did a recipe trade and she gave me the cake recipe in exchange for my curry recipe. Do you know what the secret ingredient for curry is?"

I feel a little silly saying this, but I think this is what Master Sakuro expects me to answer. "Love?"

"No, not 'love?'" He mimics my unsure tone, "it's 'love'." This time he speaks in a voice that tells he's sure of it. Do you know what the secret ingredient for chocolate cake is?" He serves a generous piece of said cake and places the plate in front of me along with a fork.

"This is big..." honestly, it looks delicious and I don't mind having this much to myself, just not all at once.

"Oh don't give me that," Sakuro sounds like he's teasing me, "I don't like it when you girls diet. You have to be willing to try my cooking. You know what they say about the way to the heart being through the stomach."

"The way to a man's heart that is," I correct him.

"Exactly, so don't break my heart by refusing my cooking," I laugh when Sakuro says this, but I'm incredibly confused.

I know he's not dating Kouren right now, but he can't possibly be interested in me. I think he's just trying to apologize for our argument and I'm thankful he broke the ice, yet at the same time I'm mad at him for playing with my heart. I feel like laughing at the Irony that is the fact that he has provided me with a big piece of chocolate cake to eat away my sorrow. I take a bite and taste a little piece of heaven.

"You haven't answered me yet," Sakuro reminds me. "What's the secret ingredient for chocolate cake?" He starts on his cake while waiting for my answer.

I swallow savoring the bite and I'm tempted to take another before replying but I don't. "Love?"

"Not quite," Sakuro encourages me to guess again.

"Love!" I say with a more certain tone this time.

"That was better, but not exactly. Love is used for curry and many other foods, but chocolate needs an additional ingredient." I wonder what Sakuro is getting at. I wonder if he'll give me a strange analogy about the secret ingredient being friendship or trust or something like that. But his reply is unexpected. "Passion," and my face becomes red. Little did I know that my hopes would die a second later.

Chapter 16: The Inspirational Speech of a Craftlord

"Pa-pass-ion?" I repeat while my mind is in a blissful daze. I'm spacing out imagining Sakuro explaining that my bravery telling him off had inspired him and made him fall in love with me. I know that's impossible but I'm enjoying my dream.

"No, not 'pa-pass-ion,' it's passion." How can he smile so casually while saying that? "Do you know what the most important ingredient to friendship is?"

I'm still in the clouds from his last statement and have little room to think as my mind is occupied with thoughts of Sakuro. I smile sheepishly wondering if Sakuro's lips will taste like curry because he eats so much of it, or like chocolate because that's the last thing he ate.

"Have you thought about it?" He tried to wake me from my daze, but I'm quite happy flying on cloud nine. I don't realize that he's not purposely being flirty; he's being friendly and joking around. He's not implying anything but I wish he was; it's all my wishful thinking. "Have you thought about the main ingredient for friendship?"

I continue to stare and smile like a complete idiot, but finally manage to push a single word out, "love," I blink and shake my head then change my answer, "trust."

"Right, though the love of friends is important, love cannot exist without trust, so the main ingredient of friendship is trust." Sakuro takes a deep breath and I know his speech will be extensive. "The people of Wystern trust us Craftlords to handle certain things and would rather focus on their own duties. That is why there wasn't an outrage when the events of several years ago were thrown into the public light. The events with Parista and the true purpose of the tournament, I'm sure you've heard about that, were eventually revealed. It was all made known and people where thankful it was handled and Wystern was saved."

Sakuro paused for a breath and continued, "I suppose that part of it is due to the love that the people of Wystern have for this city. They don't wish to leave so it's not like they would have demanded an evacuation plan should the situation been revealed earlier. Though many would be willing to help, they might have been throwing away their lives uselessly, or moving towards hasty actions before enough information was gathered. In the end they trusted us and were grateful to us, especially to the Craftlords of Iron Cleru and Pratty, the heroes whom the people determined both deserved equal credit."

Sakuro took another deep breath and delivered the last part of his speech, "The Craftlords of Iron have a similar way to see things in comparison to you, they are more open and try not to hide anything, even when people might say 'it's Craftlord business' they want to share what's going on. I believe they're right, but the fact still remains that unnecessary casualties need to be avoided, and that the many heroes in training of this city need to complete the training of life before they are ready to face the challenges of being a hero."

Master Sakuro gives me a moment to let it all sink in. "It's for their protection." I can understand now. I see how hard it is for Sakuro to make these choices, and how hard it must be for all the Craftlords. They don't want to hide things but they know that it would cause an unnecessary panic and bring danger if they didn't. Even the very people who were tricked understand they were saved from being caught in the rush of the moment and when it comes down to it, they know the Craftlords are willing to, and have, risked their lives for Wystern.

"Right, but there is a group of people who, like you, prefer to know what's going on, a group that helps keep the peace and reassures everyone else. That group is not limited only to the Craftlords. Various Craftknights and civilians are a part of that group. Should an emergency ever arise, those people will become leaders of small groups within Wystern. There are many people living here, and many visitors come every day. If an emergency occurs, we will need as much help as we can get to make sure everyone is safe. In the event of say, a full scale attack, the Craftlords and the classified Craftknights would be in the battle field, who would keep the peace with the civilians and apprentices who are not yet ready for battle then?" I have a feeling that Master Sakuro isn't only giving me a random example, but rather he's hinting at something that could or is expected to happen.

"That group of people, they help support the civilians, the apprentices and each other." I reply, keeping a calm expression, even if I'm dying to ask about his 'full scale attack' example.

"Right, and don't forget the Craftlords and Craftknights, they need help and support too," Sakuro reminds me. "I never thought I was superior to anyone, this is my duty, my responsibility, but I'm still human."

I'm feeling embarrassed for being so harsh before. "I'm sorry; I was frustrated and said some mean things. I just wish... I wish to be more useful."

"It's alright, I apologize too if I gave out the wrong idea," this is the same man who eats curry in the formal activity hall in the second floor of Central Tower and goes shopping for ingredients in the exotic shop in the first level of Wystern before the shop is even open. All of it is permitted just because he's a Craftlord, but even if he takes advantage of those details, he still has a great sense of duty towards being a Craftlord. "You can join that group if you wish, but you must prove that you can handle pressure, keep secrets and think rationally under stress. You might also have to hide certain information for people's protection, to stop them from acting rashly. Can you do that?"

"I can," I try to sound sure of myself and I really am. I try to tell myself that all those secret things were happening anyway and if I didn't worry about them too much before, then I shouldn't worry now. Reality is still the same; the only difference is that now I know about it. Sakuro didn't declare undying love to me, but at least he's letting me into the secret group.

Chapter 17: Explanations from the Craftlords

Today I'm going to meet with the secret group for the first time. The meeting is taking place on the ceremonial hall on the second floor of Central Tower. When I arrive I see that the Craftlords are here. It looks like I was the last one to arrive, but I think Master Sakuro gave me a later arrival time on purpose.

The Craftlords who are present include, Master Rondeau the Craftlord of Diamond, Master Sakuro the Craftlord of Sapphire, Master Ureksa the Craftlord of Jade, Master Kouren the Craftlord of Ruby, Master Tyram the Craftlord of Crystal and Masters Cleru and Pratty the Craftlords of Iron.

The other people present are Master Bron head of the Silver Guild and Master Libody head of the Gold Guild, I'm surprised those two could stop fighting long enough to work together, but I guess the situation is more important and they are both thinking about the good of Wystern.

Amariss, the mother of Cleru and Pratty is here. Rumari, the original Craftlord of Jade and Ureksa's sister is in the group. There are also several Craftknights here, Varil, Razzy, Sanary and Kenon. Cleru and Pratty's summon beasts; Sugar and Zantek respectively are present too.

I stand awkwardly to the side until Master Sakuro calls me over, "looks like the latest addition to our group has arrived."

"Am I late?" I'm certain I'm not, I'm sure he told me to arrive late, possibly so they could discuss certain things before I got here, most likely things about me.

"Not at all, welcome to the PoW, that is Protectors of Wystern." Sakuro put at least that worry to rest, but I wonder what they said about me. "Well then, we should start by giving you the update on the current situation, and this will serve as a review for everyone else. Master Kouren..."

Kouren, who is actually Sanary's sister, though it's a little hard to believe, stands in the center of the stage where Sakuro was a moment ago. "During the time of the weapons exhibit, a team of investigators was sent into the labyrinth to find the cause of a series of unusual events. People had reported seeing distortions in the scenery and crates and barrels moving on their own close to those distortions. The weapons exhibit was made with the purpose of sealing off all entries to the labyrinth while inviting people to willingly avoid the labyrinth during the investigation."

It's just as I thought, the exhibit was a cover up.

"During their investigation, the team made several discoveries," Kouren continued. "Usually, the strongest stray summons that reside in the labyrinth gather in the deepest levels, however, they had been moving up. Those summons prey on the weaker summons that inhabited the upper levels of the labyrinth and significantly reduced their numbers. The investigation team also found the source of the strange sightings of distorted sceneries, a rare stray summon with unusual chameleonic abilities. It was that stray summon, which we will call chameleon, that was moving the crates and barrels, blending so well into its surroundings that the witnesses thought that the crates and barrels were moving by themselves and saw nothing but a distortion in the scenery where the chameleon was."

We're all quietly paying attention while Kouren goes over the situation. I know that chameleon stray summon must have been the one I saw.

"At first, the chameleon didn't attack humans and the confrontations with other stray summons were minimal, hence why it took some time for it to be noticed," Kouren continued her explanation. "That changed on the day before the exhibit when the chameleon started becoming violent in a rush to leave the labyrinth while our investigation team tried to stop it from leaving and running rampant around the city. Several members of the team were injured and even the door's guard had to help assist them. In short, the situation rapidly became much more serious then we thought. At first we were trying to find out what was happening and trying to avoid the problem being blown out of proportions, but the situation worsened, and it was not until later that we were able to explain why."

I understand now. The guard did call out to me that day, he went to find me but instead ended up having to help rescue the investigators who were still there since the day before. The Craftlords didn't initially go into the labyrinth themselves because they didn't know the chameleon was that strong and didn't want to cause people to worry if things were not that serious. Then it all took a turn for the worse when the chameleon started attacking.

"That was what we had determined so far up until yesterday, but there are still some unanswered questions that were discovered with recent investigations. Master Ureksa..." Kouren finished her review and now Ureksa stood at the stage to speak.

Master Ureksa began his explanation, "this situation started a lot earlier than we thought, during the time Wystern was constructed. Stray sea serpent summons used to inhabit this area. Because of the depth of the ocean and properties of the water, Parista's shrine was built here and Wystern was constructed on top of it."

Wow, I had no idea the story went back that far into the past. Even if I should be worried and even if I should be taking this seriously, I can't help it but to be excited to listen to all of this. For a long time before coming to Wystern I've been dreaming of adventure, and now it's finally coming true.

I focus on Master Ureksa and listen to his speech. "The sea serpent stray summons hold a grudge against Wystern and everyone who lives here because they see this city as an invasion of their territory. However, when Parista was sealed they started avoiding the area. The reason for this is that the sea serpents, affiliated to water, feared Parista, the spirit of Fire. Though logically one would think that water would have the advantage over fire, Parista was so powerful it was an exception. After Parista returned to its world, traces of its energy were left behind, making the sea serpents believe that Parista was being suppressed but still present. They feared that the people of Wystern would free and manipulate Parista if they needed to defend their home from the sea serpents." Parista was sealed because it couldn't be controlled. I guess those sea serpents thought the people of Wystern were only keeping Parista for emergencies.

Chapter 18: The Gravity of the Situation

Master Ureksa's expression is serious as he links the events together. "Around a year ago, a sea serpent attacked the port and was defeated."

I remember that! It was when I came to Wystern and was delivering a written report from Master Sakuro to Master Ureksa. Back then I didn't realize the name 'Ureksa' belonged to a man and had been searching for a woman to give her the report. At that time I had a bad cold and fainted. Master Ureksa thought that Master Sakuro had set him up to play hero for the new girl, so he took me back to Master Sakuro's place.

I noticed that Master Ureksa didn't really mention that he was the one who defeated the sea monster. I'm not sure if he thought it was an unimportant detail, or if he simply didn't think it was proper to say it that way, even if it's true. Perhaps he didn't say it because everyone must already know.

I continued to listen to Master Ureksa, "We have determined that the sea stray summon was here to investigate if Parista was still sealed and being suppressed or if it was gone. Because it couldn't accomplish its mission, the herd assumed that the defeat was a sure sign of Parista still being here. They thought that we were getting power from Parista and could gain more if needed. Master Tyram..."

The Craftlords switch places once again, and now it's Tyram's turn to speak. He's Rumari's fiance. I heard he came close to giving up his title as a Craftlord but Rumari talked him into keeping it. I'm not sure if my attention is wavering because I'm tired of listening for so long, because Tyram is long winded or if it was just the effect of going from listening to my secret platonic crush, to my rival for said crush, to my other secret platonic crush, and finally to a man who is in no way linked to my non-existent love life.

Master Tyram's explanations about his research become a blur and I am only able to catch the end of his speech. "To summarize, the sea serpents have a complex under sea society. They fear Parista as an absolute being that will inevitably always defeat them. This is most likely based on a past experience that nearly wiped out their race. Because of the possibility of Parista still being here and empowering the people of Wystern, they were fearful and held back all this time."

Sounds like Master Tyram is reviewing what he said. That's good; with this I can make sure I didn't miss anything too important. "Realizing that they could not effectively investigate since they are creatures of water, they made some kind of deal with the chameleon stray summon and it came to investigate. That is a wonder in itself, since the sea serpents usually do not get along with land dwelling stray summons."

I catch Master Ureksa from the corner of my eyes, making a scissors signal with his hand, as if telling Master Tyram to avoid the parts of his research that interest only him.

I think Master Tyram caught the hint; he cleared his throat and finished off in a more technical manner. "The chameleon snuck into Wystern and the labyrinth avoiding all confrontations, as warned by the sea serpents. After realizing beyond a doubt following a long investigation, that the energy coming from Wystern is only left over energy, and Parista is no longer here, the chameleon became more confident and started to violently make its way out of the labyrinth. We were about to stop the chameleon but it turns out that it had the ability to split itself dividing it's power."

This is getting good... "One of the less powerful parts escaped while we fought the main one. After the main part was defeated, it is safe to assume the portion that has split from the main body died, but it had already carried out the mission of informing the fish stray summons that were at port about its findings. Those fish were weak and were not thought of as a danger, hence why they easily escaped and informed the sea serpents." Master Tyram finally finished, "Master Rondeau," and now it's time for the head master of the Craftlords to speak.

"As you might have concluded, we were terribly careless in underestimating the threats," Master Rondeau looks very serious. "Because of that, we are currently surrounded by an army of sea serpents with no possibilities of escaping by sea; any normal ship will be sunk."

Master Rondeau certainly dropped the bomb with that news. "We will try to maintain order here in Wystern while we work on getting some battle ships ready. All communications with Vance and Rugista are currently cut off and we're all stuck here until a path can be opened by sea. The sea serpents are gathering for the attack and convincing the entire herd that Parista is gone. We must be ready to fight before they approach Wystern. We can only hope that the neighboring countries will notice the lack of trading activities from Wystern and investigate, and that those investigators make it back alive. However, even if they send help it will take time and the battle will most likely start before then."

What came next was a list of the duties that needed to be done. The Craftlords would be making strong weapons to prepare, and helping arm the battle ships. The guild masters would begin to train their Craftknights, but not reveal the gravity of the situation yet, since not all the apprentices will be qualified to go to battle on time and would get in the way if they're not ready.

Special training will also take place, and an upcoming tournament will be announced to justify the intensity of the training. I know that if people find out the situation is this bad, there will be a panic and hopelessness will settle in. We can't afford to lose our fighting spirit; we need it now more than ever.

As for my task, since my usual job is making drill engines and I have gained a decent amount of experience repairing different types of engines, I was assigned to work on the engines that will power the ships, as well as the giant drills attached to them. As a general assistant I'll be working on the engine area where ever I'm needed, design, assembly, repair, inventory, wherever I need to be.

I realize that my free time has basically evaporated, that I won't be working with Master Sakuro, Master Ureksa, or any of my friends, and that this will be harder than it sounds, even if it already sounds pretty hard. I hope that I can keep thinking this is noble, and keep feeling like a hero, even if a time comes when I may begin to envy the blissful ignorance I threw away that time at Master's Sakuro's house. I can't help it but to fear that I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that I always will be.

Chapter 19: Love is Confusing and Doubts are Painful

I am exhausted. I've been working on engines for the past three days with virtually no sleep. Let's not forget that other than the extra work I'm doing for PoW, Protectors of Wystern, I need to do my job of making drill engines, which actually earns me some money.

Then I need to track down Master Bron and have him inspect and approve the engines so I can sell them with the seal of the Silver Guild. It's been a long time since one of my engines has failed inspection. I guess that after living in Wystern for over a year, I'm finally getting good at this after I decided to focus on my best area, engines.

Tired of being exhausted, I decided to take the day off. If PoW's work is free and voluntary, then they shouldn't complain if I take a day off. Besides, they have plenty of help from people who are not even in PoW. They're making engines, weapons and fortifying ships thinking they're working on durability and elegance, because metal plated ships look oh so pretty and shiny, and they don't realize they're constructing battle vessels. Or maybe they do, but they decided to trust the Craftlords and keep their blissful ignorance intact.

Today I took the time to take a long bath and scrub the dirt and salt out of my hair, since I have been working near the port and the sea breeze doesn't do wonders for hair. I used a generous amount of soap, covering myself in layers of it several times, and plenty of much needed shampoo. I filed my nails as nicely as I could, good thing I always wear gloves at work, and even took the time to paint them. Once the personal hygiene is done I brush my hair, look over my clothes and go out. I'm taking the day off!

At first I thought about saying I was feeling ill and hiding out in my room resting, but I realized that's the coward's way out and when I came to Wystern I decided to be brave.

I went to middle Wystern and looked for the house of the lady who gave Master Sakuro the chocolate cake recipe. She also sells other kinds of sweets too. I purchased a small box of caramel filling chocolate bonbons and went up to upper Wystern to eat some. If Master Sakuro's secret hobby is eating curry in the ceremony hall in the second foor of Central Tower, then mine shall be to eat chocolate in the vacant lots of the third level of Wystern.

I walked across the bridge that's practically identical to the ones in the other two levels of the City of Swords. The arcs forming stripes of sun and shade, it's a beautiful day, the calm before the storm.

I reach the vacant lot at the south side and sit behind the fence. There's another lot towards the east, I want to go there but I'm too chicken to walk over the relatively thin metal path. I'm not absolutely terrified of heights but I'm not fond of them either. I know I can be clumsy and I realize that I am quite lacking in balance, so maybe that's my survival instinct telling me not to go there.

I sit here for a while eating sweets. The bonbons are nicely wrapped in little paper cups and they're absolutely delicious and well worth the price. Though I realize that this box is probably meant to be sold to a dashing young man who intends to steal his lady's heart, I have no prince charming so I bought them for myself.

While I'm eating these sweets, I can't help it but to think about Sakuro and Ureksa. I laugh at myself and at the calories, but it's silly really, because I've always been average, not fat and definitely not a model. Well maybe a little chubby as a child, but I doubt a few chocolates will have too much of an effect with the extra exercise I've been doing.

I can't help it but to remember the story of how Ureksa sold Wystern and his friends for his sister's sake, even if Rumari would not have wanted that. Then another thought comes to mind, my taste in men. I always end up liking unreachable men, and when I try to lower my standards to something more realistic I don't like the men who fall into that category. Am I shallow? I don't just want someone to love, I want someone to treasure, but I can't do that unless I feel like he is a treasure.

I connect the thoughts and fall into a deeper confusion. Am I just trying to replace Sakuro with Ureksa? Does Ureksa's dark past lower his level in a way and eliminates some of the competition so that he's a little more reachable, even if he is a Craftlord like Sakuro? Or is it that I have also truly fallen for Ureksa as I have for Sakuro? Deep down, I know the conversation about chocolate cake and passion didn't mean much to Sakuro, I keep telling myself that because the bottom line is I'm lacking when it comes to confidence.

My thoughts shift around, almost randomly, swimming in confusion. If a man ever told me that he was willing to destroy a city for me I would think it's romantic. I would ask him not to do it, but I would be honored by the thought. Of course in Ureksa's case it was all sibling love, but I wonder if he would do the same for a girlfriend and I wonder if he has one. I have been assuming he doesn't but who am I to say? Maybe she isn't from Wystern, maybe she's waiting for him in Vance.

I'm lost in thought and confused by my feelings, but at the same time I laugh at myself. I laugh because it doesn't matter if I love Sakuro, or Ureksa, or both of them, because they are unreachable.

Even if one has more competition than the other, I'm lying to myself if I think that means he'll like me. I'm not the only girl left who's willing to overlook Ureksa's past, and even if I were, I wonder if he would be interested.

Then I realize that I find it difficult to trust men, and assume that they could never see me as more than a friend unless I'm gorgeous, like Kouren. I'm becoming more conscious of every little detail about me that isn't perfect. I know this isn't healthy but I can't help it, maybe I'm just stressed that my platonic crushes are crossing the line between platonic and real, and that will inevitably result in an even more broken heart.

Chapter 20: Confessions for Pouso

I wonder if I'm the one who's in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if it is that adorable little yellow ghost. The being, far from scary, is unbelievably cute. "Hi there," I can't help it but to smile.

The little summon approaches me with curious eyes. He's wearing a cute purple hat with a yellow star decoration and a fuzzy yellow ball on top. In its short little arms it holds a rolled up paper. The summon creature squeaked and gave me the paper.

"For me?" I stretched out the sheet and saw plans for a torpedo. The inner workings of the torpedo were comparable to that of a drill.

There was a short note in messy handwriting in a corner of the plans. "I know you don't like crowds and prefer to work on smaller engines by yourself, -Bron." I should thank Master Bron later. I wonder if this is his guardian beast, or someone else's guardian beast who's been deemed the official delivery boy for everyone? I think I've seen him before, but can't remember where.

"Thanks for the delivery, want some candy?" I offer the little cutie some bonbons which he accepts with a happy little squeal. "Are you Master Bron's guardian beast?" I feel silly asking, because the little guy doesn't look like Bron's type.

The yellow ghost shakes his head, the fuzzy yellow ball at the end of his purple hat bouncing from side to side with the movements.

"I should have known. Are you the guardian beast of a Craftlord?" This time he nods, the end of his hat bouncing up and down with the movement. I giggle, "you're so cute." Cute beings are lucky, everyone instantly adores them. I feel jealous but try to push such strange thoughts away since it would be odd to say I'm jealous of a little yellow ghost.

So far I've learned that my new little friend likes chocolate and he's the guardian beast of a Craftlord... I blush. "Are you Master Sakuro's guardian beast?" The little guy shakes his head. "Master Ureksa then?" He nods and I blush some more, I don't even know why. "Oh that's right, I've seen you before," how could I forget? "It was over a year ago..."

Somehow, I feel like foolishly spilling out my heart to this summon creature. He speaks in squeals, which remind me of Zantek's beeps that Pratty can understand perfectly. But with Zantek I can at least understand some of it by the tome of the sounds and his expression.

So far I have only been able to interpret the yellow ghost's nods and shakes and nothing more. I should have known I would be better with machines than living beings, which is an Ironic thing to think since he has the appearance of a ghost, though he is alive.

"Will you listen to me for a moment?" He nods. "There's this man I like... Well actually there are two men I like. I'm still getting to know them and I think my feelings are just a passing crush, or I try to make them that way. Sometimes I really want to get to know one of them. I guess the reason I can't choose is because neither likes me back so it would be a bit pointless to choose."

The little cutie gives me a confused look; I myself don't think I'm making a lot of sense. "I don't think either would like me back even if they knew, that's why it's pointless. But for some unknown reason I just felt like telling someone." I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish, if anything, but I feel pretty stupid and conclude that I have a big mouth.

Suddenly I realize that secretly I'm not only heartbroken over Sakuro, but I'm wishing that Ureksa would do something crazy for me like sink Wystern if I don't go out with him. I know it's extreme and it's not going to happen, but only when a man does something extreme for me will I be convinced that he cares for me, otherwise I'll always doubt, because I'm just not that special, I'm not special at all.

"You know, I'm not sad about it. I've always thought that people who cry because they're not loved are pathetic and that they should grow up and be mature enough to accept that they have nothing to offer. After all, I have standards too and would reject any man who doesn't fit into them, even if he tries really hard. That's never happened but I have the maturity to accept that I'm not super special and automatically liked."

I'm a contradiction. I have no confidence when it comes to winning a man's heart but plenty of confidence when it comes to being able to live without one. I don't want to be heartbroken but at the same time I know I can get over it. No one knows of this lack of confidence I hide. On the outside I'm confident, but that's just because the goals I set for myself are not that hard, so of course I'll be confident that I can achieve them.

"Hey little guy, I'm going to work on this." I'll work hard, I'll get better at making engines and I'll continue to make a living out of it. I'll eventually forget about those two men, because even if I have no confidence, I still have my pride, and I'm never going to beg for attention.

I've decided I need to be stronger. Dwelling on these thoughts about Sakuro and Ureksa won't do anyone any good. "Little guy... if I don't like those men enough to make an effort to make them like me back, does that mean it really is just a passing crush, or that I'm just smart enough not to waste my time?"

I don't understand the squeak I get as a response, but my goal has been lowered. I'm more confident now, because I've decided that I won't care about what Sakuro or Ureksa think of me. I'll just do my job, make a living, be a helper to the Craftlords, be in PoW, and hopefully I'll stop being caught up on myself enough to realize that there are bigger things going on.

"Pouso," Master Ureksa arrives at upper Wystern and Pouso starts squeaking at him full speed. I can't help it but to feel I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time once again. That sneaky little tattle tell...

To be Continued