Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ A Dance with the Devil ❯ Moving In ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Dance with the Devil
-- -- -- -- --
Chapter 2
-- -- -- -- --
Moving In
-- -- -- -- --
Everything was quiet in a large stagecoach, with its lone occupant. A boy, with nicely cut jet black hair and eyeglasses, who was somewhere in his late teens, sat alone and read.
“Kyouya-sama, we will be arriving there soon,” the man steering the stagecoach said loud enough for the boy in the back to hear. The boy gave no indication of hearing the man, and continued reading. A good ten minutes later, the coach stopped, and the man who was steering the horses opened the door for the boy in the back. He closed the book he was reading and stepped out of the carriage and faced the huge white building in front of him.
“Kyouya!” an excited blonde burst through the front door of the house. “It's so good to see you again!” he yelled, and grabbed Kyouya into an extremely tight hug.
“Yeah, yeah, Tamaki,” he said, laughing slightly at his friend's immaturity, “it's good to see you again, too,” he patted the blonde's back, hoping to inform him that he wasn't at all amused with his childish antics.
“Sorry,” the blonde said instantly, realizing his friend's annoyance, “but it's been so long since I've seen you,” he whined, hoping Kyouya would forgive him and not kill him.
The dark-haired man smirked and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. “It's only been three years, Tamaki,” he said as if it was only a couple of days.
“Well, that's a very long time,” Tamaki told him, ushering him into the house. “Oh, by the way, I'm hosting a party for your family's arrival tomorrow,” Tamaki told him once they were through the front door.
“Hmm…” Kyouya hummed, acknowledging what Tamaki had said.
“Just for the record, your father approved it. He thinks it's a good way to meet possible future business partners,” Tamaki informed Kyouya, even though he most likely already knew.
“Hmm…” Kyouya hummed again, taking his bags from the man who had driven him there. “Would you mind showing me to my room?” he asked Tamaki.
“Huh? You're staying?” Tamaki asked, confused.
“Of course. I haven't seen you in three years,” Kyouya pointed out. “Now could you please show me there? These bags are getting somewhat heavy.”
“Oh, okay,” Tamaki said, not quite sure what was happening. He walked up a large staircase on the opposite side of the room, and Kyouya followed. “You're not going to stay with the rest of your family?” Tamaki asked, trying to start a conversation, also slightly curious about the subject.
Kyouya stayed quiet, determined not to talk about the subject. Tamaki sighed at his failed attempt at a conversation. “Well, here's the guest room,” Tamaki told his friend when they stopped in front of a door. “If you need anything else, just holler.”
Kyouya nodded and took his bags into the room Tamaki showed him to.
-- -- -- -- --
“Tamaki, I think you're a little bit too enthusiastic about my family moving down here,” Kyouya told Tamaki, looking at the rest of the room.
“Why do you say that?” Tamaki asked, taking a step backwards, a little bit shocked.
“How many people did you invite? Just the town, or the entire state?” Kyouya asked sarcastically, watching people continuously walk through the door. “Do you even know half these people?” Kyouya questioned. Tamaki was now kneeling in a corner, mumbling something about not being cared about. Kyouya just looked at his friend and shook his head. Same old Tamaki. He diverted his attention from his friend to the people entering the house looking for something interesting.
He sighed. People were the same anywhere he went. Always trying to make a good first impression, or worrying about looking like a fool in front of others. Eventually his eyes found the clock and stopped wandering. 7:23. This was going to be a long night.
“Ah, you ladies look lovely tonight,” he heard Tamaki say. Obviously he had left his corner of woe to flirt. The girls he was now flirting with really did look extremely nice, and he Tamaki wasn't just giving out empty complements, like he did when he really wanted something.
The girl who's hand Tamaki was holding was a little on the short side with shoulder length brown hair which was curled and large brown eyes to match. She was wearing a pink dress which modestly covered most of her chest, and the sleeves hung off her shoulders. The top of the dress hugged her chest and waist tightly while the skirt flared at her hips and fell to the floor. The girl who was standing next to her had a pinkish colored bow in her honey colored hair. Her dress was slightly more revealing the other girl's. Hers was deep green and was cut so a good portion of cleavage was showing. The sleeves of her dress hung on her shoulders instead of around them. The top of her dress also hugged her torso very tightly, but instead of her skirt being the same color as the rest of the dress, it was white with the green fabric that was used on the top of the dress draped around it.
Kyouya was waiting to hear the girl Tamaki was talking to squeal, but it never came. Instead he heard the girl say something which caused Tamaki to return to his corner of woe.
~~
“I see why you don't like him, Miss Renge,” Haruhi told Renge, as the blonde man, whom she was told was Tamaki Suou, sunk into a corner and seemed to be pitying himself.
Haruhi was somewhat taken aback that someone of his standing could act in such a childish manner, but Renge had simply told her to ignore it and that it was normal behavior for him. Individuals really do have different `normal' mediums, Haruhi thought, diverting her attention from Tamaki.
“Here, Haruhi,” Renge said to Haruhi a while later, handing her a glass. Haruhi looked at her like she had lost her mind. “What?” she asked innocently.
“You know I don't drink,” Haruhi told her bluntly.
“Aww, come on,” Renge whined.
“You think I'm going to agree that easily?” Haruhi asked, giving Renge a look. She just smiled and offered her the drink again. “No,” she said sternly.
“Fine,” Renge pouted and gave up.
After the greetings were over, everyone had moved into the larger room on the opposite side of the stairs where the entertainment was. Renge was now dancing with some man, and Haruhi had turned one down before retreating back into the room everyone was previously in, undetected.
~~
He was having an awful time. Of course, that should go without saying since Tamaki was the one who organized this entire event. Who knew Tamaki could actually manage that? He was constantly being bombarded by girls, but since each one could pose as useful to him, he could not reject them. So instead, he was forced into a conversation with them: courtesy of Tamaki.
At first it was fine, but now their illogical conversation was beginning to wear on his senses. He quickly excused himself from the conversation, only to have Tamaki whine, but he ignored it and fled to the room everyone was previously in, hoping nobody would be in there.
He was glad to find it completely deserted. He wandered to the foot of the stairs and sat down on them. 8:59, the clock read. He closed his eyes and the clock started to chime. 1… he amused himself by counting each chime. 2…3…4… he thought he had heard a noise, but he brushed it off, claiming it was something outside. 5...6… he heard the noise again, and this time, lost interest in the clock. He stood up and looked around the room from the spot he stood more thoroughly than he had when he came in, but it still appeared as if nobody was in there. He listened carefully, but didn't hear the sound again and started searching the room.
In the corner between the stairs and the balcony of the second floor, a girl sat in a chair. Kyouya was sure that she was the cause of the noise he had heard. If he hadn't gotten up to look, he never would have found her, because the corner which she was in was nearly impossible to see from the rest of the room.
The girl's legs were draped over one of the arms of the chair and her back rested on the other with her head leaning on the back of the chair. She was wearing a pink dress, which immediately reminded him of the girl whom Tamaki was flirting with earlier. But, then again, what girl doesn't Tamaki flirt with?
He debated whether or not to wake the girl, but noticed her chest wasn't rising and falling in a breathing manner. Is she dead? He thought, then wondered why he was so intrigued by this girl, whom he had never met before, but before he could stop himself, his hand was headed towards her shoulder to make sure she was alive.
The girl in the chair suddenly swatted his hand just before he reached her shoulder. He was somewhat surprised, but he refrained from showing it on his face. “I take it you're alive,” he said calmly. The girl opened her eyes and turned her head so she could look at the man who was talking to her. He was extremely handsome, but she had just been woken, so she really didn't pay attention much to his looks.
“That would be correct,” she replied in almost the same, slightly distant voice the man had used to talk to her.
“And what would you be doing out here when everybody else is in the other room?” he asked, standing up straight and crossing his arms with a slight smirk on his lips to give him his usual calculating look.
“I was enjoying myself,” she told him, annoyance evident in her voice. She suddenly realized her position, and awkwardly shot up into a sitting position, crossed her arms, and glared at the man that woke her.
~~
Renge was frantic. She couldn't find Haruhi anywhere. Her night had been ruined by that lousy blonde flirt, and she was ready to leave. Although, now she had one dilemma: she couldn't find Haruhi. Haruhi had vanished, and now Renge was frantically searching for her.
She left the large room everyone was gathered in to search other possible rooms that Haruhi could be hiding. She wandered around the room where they had first come in, but it was empty, except for a man who appeared to be talking to a chair.
“Umm… excuse me?” she asked and hoped the man could hear her.
The man turned around when he heard Renge speak, and revealed a girl sitting in the chair in front of him.
“Haruhi! There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you,” Renge exclaimed, now completely ignoring the man.
“Ah, Miss Renge. Are you ready to go?” Haruhi asked, getting up from her chair and walking towards Renge.
“Yes,” she said rather forcefully, and lead the way out of the Suou house. Haruhi quickly followed her listening to her complaints about the Suou's blonde son.
The man who had been completely ignored through all of this stood there and watched their backs as they left. `'Miss', huh? This is rather interesting.'
 
 
A/N: Oh, no! Another short chapter! I have to say, though, that I'm not entirely pleased with this chapter. I ended up having to rush it, because I really wanted to start writing the rest of the story.
A/N: I have taken a break from this story, and while I like the general idea of the story, I have no idea where I was going with it. A basic idea has been retained, but my forgetful nature has caused me to forget most of the details I wanted to use in this story, so I would immensely appreciate any input anyone would be willing to give.