Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Curse of the 'Flu ❯ The Silent Treatment ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER IV: “The Silent Treatment”
 
The atmosphere in the Fujioka living room had almost been too much to bear. As he accepted a cup of tea and seated himself next to - no, beside - no, opposite - no, somewhere away from Kyouya, Kaoru had the distinct impression that the vice-president was apparently displeased with something either he or Hikaru (though most probably he) had done. What this something was remained a stubborn mystery, and though Kaoru would hint to Haruhi from the corner of his eye, she hadn't the foggiest idea as to what it might be: from her perspective, Kyouya just seemed at a loss, not having the club to run anymore; and from Kaoru's perspective, it seemed that finding Kyouya with Haruhi was not an association he wished others to know about.
Kaoru smiled. He could so make something out of this, but the idea only saddened him. `I better go now,' he said. `Thanks for the tea.'
`Feel free to come again,' said Haruhi.
Butterflies.
Kyouya stood. `Give my love to Ranka.'
Burning butterflies.
`I will,' said Haruhi, and the moment they were gone, wondered what Kaoru had done to irritate the Shadow King…?
And Kaoru wondered the same thing as they walked back to the train station, neither speaking a friendly word. Commoners that passed them by assumed they were strangers travelling in a coincidental direction, while a group of girls, struck by the masculine contrast, giggled and whispered silly theories to each other.
Kaoru swallowed, uncomfortable. This couldn't be down to teasing Kyouya about his notebook. Everyone knew he and Hikaru teased people all the time, so Kaoru couldn't understand it. What was Kyouya's problem? Why was he taking it out on Kaoru Hitachiin for?
`You're wondering why I'm in such a bad mood with you, aren't you?'
Wind slap.
`N-not really.'
`You are.'
`…Alright, I am.'
`Why did you invite Haruhi?'
Kaoru blinked; his eyes became sly. `What's it to you?'
`Do you want her to get ill?'
They stopped under a streetlight. The glare emphasised the worry on Kaoru's face. `I was thinking about Hikaru,' he said. `I hadn't thought of it that way…'
`How is Hikaru?'
`He's fine; just bored.'
`Quite like Tamaki.'
`…I'm sorry we had to get ill.'
Kyouya smiled. `No matter.'
They resumed their walk. At the train station, Kaoru asked if he would be okay; Kyouya nodded, assuring him he'd be fine. When they parted, Kaoru feeding his ticket to the barrier and Kyouya checking his phone, one looked up as the other looked away.
 
 
`Hello Hikaru, how was your day?'
`Fine, dad.'
`You look tired. You should get some more sleep.'
`I will, dad.'
`Don't forget to say “hi” to your mother. She says she hasn't seen you all day.'
`I'll stop by her room.'
`Oh, Hikaru! I was just wondering where you were! How was your day?'
`It was fine.'
`I just checked on your brother, but he's fast asleep now. He looks so adorable - just like you!'
Kaoru suffered to be kissed. `Right, mum,' he mumbled, dodging her embrace. She smiled fondly as he ascended the stairs. `Dinner at seven, Hikaru!' He raised an acknowledging hand, smiling.
Parents. What idiots.
`In a bad mood?' asked Hikaru.
Kaoru looked his brother up then down. `No,' he answered, `and you're supposed to be in bed.'
Hikaru whistled, coughed, and continued his whistle. He shuffled after Kaoru, muffled from head to toe in a duvet and slipped twice on the corridor. By the time he reached their bedroom, he had slipped no less than six times. `I'm feeling better, by the way,' he said.
`I'm glad.'
`What's up?'
`Nothing at all.'
Hikaru returned to his bed. The medicine he drank was beginning to work its wonders. He closed his eyes. Was Kaoru catching the 'flu? He drifted to sleep…
`I went to Haruhi's today.'
Cold bath.
`What! You went to Haruhi's?'
`Kyouya was there.'
`Seeing Ranka again, hmm?'
`Don't know.'
`How was Haruhi, anyway? Was she doing okay?'
`Yeah, she's studying hard.'
`So why the long face? As long as she's not ill…'
`I never said she was ill!'
Hikaru was fully awake now. `Kaoru,' he said. His twin came over. `What's wrong? What happened?' Hands touched Kaoru's face and drew it inwards. `What's the matter?' Arms encircled Hikaru's neck. A mumbled reply. `I don't mind,' said Hikaru. Kaoru let go. He went away. Hikaru lay back down, frowning.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2