Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Love Letter for Haruhi ❯ Chapter 2...Confiding in Kyouya ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Ouran High School Host Club that would be Bisco Hatori. I just get to play with them…*squeals like a fangirl*…oh wait, I am a fangirl….
 
 
 
Love Letter for Haruhi…taterbean96
 
 
 
Chapter Two…Confiding in Kyouya
 
 
 
Kyouya Ootori's fingertips came together delicately in front of his face. His dark narrow eyes bore into Haruhi like an x-ray. It took every ounce of self control she possessed to not fidget under that stare. She already felt like she was in a nightmare, having to share something so private with him in the first place. Now, under his scrutinizing stare, she felt like she was on trial.
 
“Intriguing,” he finally muttered, lowering his eyes to the letter lying on the top of his desk between them.
 
Haruhi felt a twinge of relief under all the pressure. She'd been right to follow her instinct and come to Kyouya; he seemed naturally surprised to discover someone had written her a love letter. She checked him off as a suspect.
 
“You haven't told anyone else about this, have you?” Kyouya asked, his tone a little sharp.
 
Haruhi shook her head, mortified. “Hell no.”
 
It was torture enough just showing him, let alone letting anyone else know about it…
 
A small lift at the corner of the Shadow Kings lips puzzled Haruhi. Was he smiling?
 
“A mystery. How exciting.”
 
Haruhi's eyes narrowed to irritated slits.
 
“Yeah, maybe for you…” she mumbled, but not to deaf ears. Kyouya's brow lifted.
 
“You don't like having a secret admirer?”
 
Haruhi looked at him, trying to discern if he was serious. How long had they known each other…?
 
“Of course you don't.” Kyouya answered his own question. “This isn't something that you've prepared yourself to cope with, is it?”
He leaned forward, chin perched upon his interlaced fingers. His eyes were devouring her discomfort. An edgy shiver ran down Haruhi's entire body; her body that she all of a sudden seemed more conscious of than ever before. Why did he have to look at her like that? Why did he seem to know her mind so well? Had he always, or was she just seeing him in a new light? A butterfly fluttered its wings somewhere inside her…
 
As it so often does, Kyouya's demeanor changed and he sunk back into his leather swivel chair, lowering his hands only after he'd pushed his glasses into place once more. Haruhi eased when he smiled warmly at her.
 
“You want me to help you find this person? Why?”
 
Haruhi nodded, her bobbed bangs falling over her big eyes. “So I can refuse his confession. It's been such a bother…” she cut herself off quickly. Kyouya didn't need to know everything. Her personal fluctuations of feelings were irrelevant, and would be put to rest when she rejected the suitor. End of story and none of the Shadow Kings business…
 
Kyouya stared at her with heightened interest, but when she didn't continue, he picked up the sky blue paper, rereading the prose.
 
“Well, first off, I'd say it is definitely a man, eliminating the ladies of the club…”
 
Haruhi gave her head a curt nod, more in acceptance of Kyouya's words as fact and not understanding his reasoning. She knew that his acute, sharp mind had already come to many conclusions regarding her situation.
 
“Why do you say that, Kyouya-sempai?” she asked.
 
“Well,” he darted a swift glance at her over the papers edge. “It's quite simple. It sounds like a man wrote this for a woman. The words have been carefully chosen to impress upon a female mind. Most ladies, especially ladies like our customers, would've melted like butter.”
 
A hot surge of anger gripped Haruhi. Is this what she was being reduced to by a mere love letter? A stick of dairy! And by god if she'd let herself be grouped in with the rich girls of the club.
 
“Haruhi?” Kyouya said her name tentatively.
 
Haruhi's eyes met Kyouya. He was watching her as she began to wriggle in her seat; she blushed, struggling to regain the internal composure that she had started to lose.
 
Managing a weak smile, she said, “Sorry.”
 
Kyouya gave her one last, confused look then continued. “So, I'd say that since only six of us know the truth about your sexual identity…”
 
The impact of his words slapped Haruhi hard across the face. One of the hosts, her friends...her stomach bottomed out.
 
“We'll start a process of elimination to discover which host, if any, wrote you the letter.”
 
Haruhi arched a quizzical eyebrow. “If any?”
 
Kyouya smirked. “There is the small chance it was someone from your chemistry class. This would, more than likely, make him male…”
 
Haruhi shifted in her seat, eyes popping. “If it is a classmate, I'd have to reveal my gender to him, let him know I'm not a guy…”
 
In her mind, Haruhi saw numerous complications arise because of this. Kyouya already seemed privy to all this as he nodded.
 
“Hai. Then everyone will know that you're a woman. Your debt to the Host Club will take even longer to repay.”
 
Haruhi had the distinct feeling Kyouya was secretly enjoying this tidbit of knowledge more than he should.
 
“So, over all, it's perhaps best if it does turn out to be one of our very own hosts. For your sake anyways…”
 
Haruhi's heart splashed down into the juices of her belly. How come it suddenly felt like it was going to be a mountainous chore to tell one of her friends she had no romantic interest in him? Murmuring under her breath, she cursed the day she recieved that letter.
 
Kyouya began to refold the letter, making to slip into the pocket inside his blue jacket. Haruhi held her hand out for it.
 
“You want this back?” He asked, confused.
 
“Well, it was given to me…” Haruhi began, her voice faltered softly.
 
“But if you're only going to reject the author, it mustn't hold much value in your heart.” Kyouya said flatly.
 
Haruhi's hand trembled then fell to her side. He was right. She didn't really need it. But why then did the idea of not keeping it carve a hollow hole inside her…? Stop acting ridiculous, she reprimanded herself hotly.
 
Haruhi stood up quickly, tossing her backpack over her shoulder. She bowed gratefully to Kyouya as she buried her hodgepodge mixture of emotions deep into the recesses of her soul.
 
“Thanks Kyouya-sempai. I appreciate your help.” She told him, trying to keep her voice as indifferent as possible.
 
Pushing his glasses up, Kyouya smiled at her. “No problem. Meet me outside of the men's locker room tomorrow before lunch. I'm interested…in what we find.”
 
Haruhi left, not feeling better about the situation, but worse. If it truly was a host as Kyouya expected, this would change the course of her friendship with whoever it turned out to be…probably not for the better, either. The alternative was even grimmer. To have all her customers find out she was female would cause a lot of cancellations and Haruhi would be chained to the service of the Host Club for the entire duration of her school years.
 
Running a hand through her hair exasperatedly, she headed for the train that would whisk her home. Among the mess of emotions she was experiencing, a small seed of wonder had taken root. Who had sent her such a lovely poem? And why was she sprouting an unwilling exhilaration to learn his identity…
 
 
 
Authors Note: Again, just so I'm not sued, Bisco Hatori owns OHSHC, not me. I just get to play with them. Please read and let me know what you think! Thanks mom for your editing!