Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Nobodies ❯ Change ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Nobodies
 
 
Disclaimer: All characters are copyright Bisco Hatori and the companies she works with. I own nothing.
 
The blonde idiot extended his hand, lips curving upward gently. As the words “host club” passed through, they'd left a dazzling grin behind. Sunlight glinted off of the laser-whitened smile. The Suoh guy opened his eyes cautiously a minute later, realizing that I did not really care to reply.
 
I would have gotten up and left at that moment, if not for the familiar translucent figure studying the other boy intently. A minute later, the form moved around the blonde, circling him, turning him over in his mind, sizing him up.
 
“Move over, Kaoru,” The shadow said calmly.
 
I shifted against the fountain, sliding a step to the left. The Tamaki fellow gave me an odd, hurt look before he was shoved into the fountain.
 
The figure laughed; his voice was a sweet, deep, rumbling sound that the rest of the world could not hear. I told him once that it was a shame, him having such a beautiful laugh and me being the only one who could hear it. Everyone else was really missing out. And that had made him laugh a bit, and he swore that I was enough. I was his world.
 
It was the least I could do to make him my world. This host club would take away time from him, so it was natural he would not be fond of the idea.
 
I sighed and shook my head, picking up my book to walk slowly off. I did not always like it, though, seeing him being mean to other people.
 
“Halt!” Suoh-senpai called after me.
 
I paused and turned my head slightly to the side, seeing the blonde in my peripheral vision. He scrambled over the edge of the fountain and toward me, not knowing that he stood with his shoulder touching my shadow's. The next words out of his mouth were, surprisingly enough, not about the invisible force that had pushed him into the water. “My offer stands. Our doors are always open to you.”
 
“He's giving up? Just like that?” My shadow flicked at the taller boy's cheek, offended. “What happened to your resolve? You'd be lucky to have Kaoru in your club!”
 
“If you can find my twin, I'll join your club,” I blurted out, ignoring the shocked look my shadow gave me.
 
Suoh-senpai didn't speak to me for two years.
 
-
 
Two years later, I changed my hairstyle to be shorter and gelled into a different position. My identical shadow's hair had changed, too; parted on the opposite side. For the first time, looking at him face-to-face really did feel like looking in a mirror.
 
I had asked him why his was parted the way it was.
 
“Now I can feel more like Hi-Kaoru.” He broke his name into two parts, although for a second I thought he had pronounced his own name wrong. “You may think of me like a shadow or something, but I am my own person.”
 
What a depressing life he led, with only one in his world.
 
Thoughts like that always made me wonder if he really was a figment of my imagination; an old side of me or even an imaginary friend beneath the cobwebs of my memory might turn out in much the same way. I can never remember a time when he was not by my side. Sometimes, I stared at him, trying to piece it all together. He was not a ghost. He could not walk through walls or fly. My twin, as I like to refer to him, was very much human, aside from two minor details: he never got sick, and he could never be seen by anyone other than me. Even to me, he was partially transparent with a dark tint to his features.
 
“Kaoru?” He waved a hand in front of my face, the sleeves of his thin shirt sliding down to reveal a wristwatch.
 
He also always had the same outfit on. It was like it grew with him, or something.
 
“Kaoru,” he repeated, finally succeeding in bringing me back to the present; “you're pretty spacey today.” He frowned and put his hands on my shoulders, the warmth sinking through my shirt. “Come on, focus. It's the first day of your first year in high school. There will be new people who won't know that you're mine.” My shoulders shook a bit beneath his hands, and he smirked at my reaction. “It's going to be a long day.”
 
Hikaru moved over to our window and looked out at the limo. Our driver was outside waiting, I guessed from the look on his face, but I decided not to move until he continued.
 
He didn't continue. My shadow turned and started downstairs without me.
 
-
 
My twin was sinking sullenly into his usual seat of the car when I got there. He hadn't even been at breakfast, where I would slip him food. Something weird must be going on for him to leave me for so long. After all, when he was not around me, it was an awful lot like he did not exist at all.
 
“Something changes today.”
 
“Hm?” I turned to face him, my knee touching his leg.
 
“I feel bad.” He grimaced.
 
I couldn't throw my arms around him with the driver in front, so I settled for grabbing his hand.
 
“Can we skip class today?”
 
Hikaru knew I couldn't just do that.
 
-
 
A frumpy little person was in the seat I had chosen at the open house, so I had no choice but to grab the spot beside him. At least, I thought it was a guy under that formless sweater.
 
The boy's hair was in his face and his glasses looked dirty, so it wasn't likely that he had even noticed me come in. In fact, the guy continued on through the class without paying attention to anyone around him, aside from the teacher. Hikaru leaned on my shoulders and muttered that he'd heard a rumor he was the new commoner. Not that we knew of any old one.
 
At first, he was insignificant. This bizarre person was a little speck of dust on the windshield, so to speak. But at lunch, when I sat down at the only empty table with Hikaru beside me, the little commoner sat down across from us. This was unforgivable. I was unsurprised that someone would attempt to speak with us, but the fact that it was him was unpleasant.
 
At first, we were ignored. The textbook must have been so much more interesting than one (two) of Ouran's finest students. Alright, so he could be worse. He could be…well, that one blonde idiot that thought we wanted to join his club two years ago. I suddenly wondered how that had turned out without me.
 
“Make him move.” Hikaru elbowed me in the side.
 
“What, you can't move me yourself?” the little person remarked dryly.
 
I froze. Hikaru blinked at her slowly, shock pushing his eyebrows up and jaw down. “Excuse me?” he questioned roughly.
 
“I said to make me move yourself if you don't want me here.” He shoved one last bite of his mysterious bag lunch into his mouth before gathering up his stuff. “I'll go look for a quieter place to study.” She looked up as if to say something else, then paused. “Why aren't you wearing the uniform? I thought everyone was so proud to go to this school.”
 
Hikaru didn't look like he was going to answer coherently anytime soon, and I wanted this person gone more than ever. I coughed a bit. “Why aren't you wearing a uniform?”
 
“We have arrangements.”
 
And he left.
 
Hikaru fumbled under the table for my hand.
 
-
 
Note: Chapters will get longer as story goes on. I was cleaning out my folders, and found this. I edited heavily so that it says the exact some thing, only differently. I was shocked when I found it and read it through. It was like, "Wow, this isn't bad! Did I really write this?"