Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Pride, Arrogance and Vanity ❯ Dances and Twins ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Broken promises
My heart you stole
Lies you told
Got the best of me
Digging in my heart of gold
Used to look at you
And see the possibilities
I see you for who you are
Boy you've disappointed me
Go Ahead (Alicia Keys)
A/N: -Ducks flying keyboards and mice- I know, I know…. I have not updated in forever. Please forgive me! It has been stressful past three months. Lots of college related things and vacations that cause fights with best friends. Therefore, I hope this chapter will make up for my lack of updates.

Raine spooned cereal into her mouth, with her elbow on the kitchen table, trying to decide the best way to describe her date with the pretentious Kyouya Ootori. He had not been mean, nor had he been stiff and uninteresting. In fact, the one time she had gotten him to speak he had been extremely interesting. Then, he fell silent for the rest of the evening, and had refused even to glance at her.
That was the worst part of the night. She had decided, upon seeing him that she was going to make the best of this relationship that neither of them wanted. Yet, he refused to speak. Were his friends really that much of a touchy subject? Maybe he had not had many, and the ones he did have abandoned him? Raine shook her head clear, and forced herself away from such thoughts.
Why did she care? He deserved it, if that really was the case. He was cold, and she could see that every word she said he processed in that quick thinking brain of his just to make sure she was neither insulting nor using him. The words then were tucked away into the back of his mind, carefully filed, to be used later, either for or against the person who had said them.
That frightened her immensely. She knew why he did it, and knew how he did it, and that it could be her downfall or her greatest help. She knew it would most likely never be the second, and was usually likely to be the first.
How did she know?
She knew because it was something she herself did.
In fact, she had used it against him the night before, and it had caused him to tense, and then not to speak to her again. She smiled. It was the same smile she had given Kyouya when she had thrown him off his guard. It was the smile she used when she got her way, or her plans were right on track. She knew he knew this. She wanted him to know this.
Mrs. Smith cleared her throat loudly.
Raine jolted, "Oh! Sorry."
The older woman frowned at her charge and held her hand out for the empty cereal bowl.
"I've got it," Raine said, and then picked it up, pouring the milk flecked with Peanut Butter Crunch bits down the kitchen sink's drain.
"The date, Miss Wilson, how was it?"
Raine sighed. She never could get out of anything when this woman was around.
"It sucked, okay?"
The housekeeper raised her eyebrows, "How so?"
"He took me to some swanky French restaurant and didn't speak to me the whole night!"
"Uh-huh..."
"Okay, maybe not the whole night, but it was pretty damn close. I got him to talk about his friends from high school, but when he asked about my high school experience, (which was pretty much non-existent) he got all touchy and didn't even look at me. It was awful."
Mrs. Smith still sat at the table staring at her, and Raine was getting uncomfortable. Even if she had not thought the night before that the date was awful, she did now. It was as if her caretaker knew she was lying; lying through her teeth.
"Okay, so maybe it wasn't that awful and I kind of liked the fact that we didn't speak to each other after the food came, but really, did he have to take me to a restaurant where I couldn't read the menu and make me feel like an idiot? I had to ask him to order for me. Um, rude much?"
"Are you done?"
"Yes…" Raine sulked.
"Miss Wilson, you really need to get to know this young man better. Like it or not, the both of you are going to be married and you must learn communication. If you cannot even find a trivial matter to discuss during your first date, then what are you two going to do when you must share a house for the rest of your lives? Stare at the wall?"
"It would be better than speaking to him," She muttered under her breath. Raine knew that when they wed, he would go to his job and stay there ten hours a day, leaving her home to be a housewife. It was something she had resigned herself to and no longer cared to think about it. She knew that in Japan, the husband was the moneymaker, and rarely ever, did the wife of an important man leave the house, or run it, except for parties and social dinners. Then, she was queen.
Raine snorted. Dinner parties? Give me a break.
"Speaking of parties…"Mrs. Smith spoke up.
"Hunh?" Raine started. Had she said that aloud? Mrs. Smith was waiting patiently, watching her with interest. Okay, so obviously, she had. Crap.
"Better?" Raine nodded. "Good. Now, you have an invite to a ball held by the Ootori's in-laws-"
"You can tell them that I respectfully decline their invitation." Raine pushed herself up from the kitchen table and walked out of the room.
"Miss Wilson, you cannot decline this invitation." Mrs. Smith sounded panicky, yet firm in her resolve. She ran into the living area as fast as her heels would let her.
"And why not?"
"Because, the dance is being held for you. It says very plainly that this is a formal ball in honor of Shido Fuyumi's younger brother's engagement."
"Shit." Raine swore.
"Language, Miss Wilson. Also, there's a note inserted in the envelope from Mr. Ootori."
"Kyouya or Kyouya's father?" By this time, Raine had decided to hang upside down from the back of the sofa and do crunches. Her housekeeper rolled her eyes.
"Kyouya, and Raine? If you do not sit up properly and speak to me then I will tie you to the armchair and give you another etiquette lesson."
Raine halted mid-crunch, and glared at the elderly woman. What was she rambling on about; something about that ridiculous dance that she was not going to? Yeah, that was it. Raine continued her workout, pretending to listen intently. Something about reading that note from Kyouya, oh and she needed a dress, too. Too bad she was notgoing. It would be a complete waste of money to go buy a dress when she was never going to wear it.
Besides, what was wrong with the little teal thing she had bought yesterday? That was a dress. That was a pretty dress.
"MISS WILSON."
She jolted and fell off the sofa, whacking her head on the floor.
"Are you listening to me?"
"No?"
"Fine. Read it yourself. I am not helping you with this party."
"That's ok. I didn't need your help anyway. I'm not going."
"Yes, you are."
"Whatever you say, Mrs. Smith." Raine's mind was quickly working to devise a plan to get out of this party. She could fake sick, but that would only cause the Shidos to reschedule the party. She could always pretend to go, and then go out to a club… She had not been clubbing in so long, not since she became the heir to her father's 900 million dollar corporation. Her time being taken up by school and lessons in how to run such a large company had prevented such things. Now that she had a doctorate in bioengineering, (something she had failed to mention to Kyouya) she could do what she pleased.
She sat up, and saw that the heavy crème envelope that the invitation had come in was lying on the floor next to her. Sighing, Raine supposed that she should at least read the not that her fiancé had so kindly written to her. The paper envelope was cloth-like to the touch and felt expensive. It probably was she reminded herself. The invitation? Well, that was hand written in the best calligraphy, in English, on linen paper.
She rolled her eyes, Rich bastards.
She tugged out the other piece of paper in the envelope. This was written on plain white computer paper (though she had no doubt that it was expensive-as-hell computer paper that lesser mortals could not afford.) and the handwriting looked like chicken scratch, to put it kindly. It was almost funny that the seemingly perfect Kyouya Ootori had messy handwriting.
The writing itself was beautiful, however. It had no grammar mistakes, not even a contraction or a misplaced comma. It made her instantly dislike him again and want to slap him. She snorted after giving the letter a once-over. It told her to go see a couple of guys named Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin who would make her a dress for his sister's dance.
She was tempted. A dress that was designed just for her, with no other like it in the world made her tremble. She had never been a girly-girl, but she did have two X-chromosomes, and that meant that she was tempted by such things as chocolate and designer clothing, and this dress would be free. Kyouya Ootori had said to pick out any fabric she wished, no matter how expensive and to let the Hitachiins design a dress for her, and he would pay for everything.
She could have anything she wanted, free. Memorizing the address on the paper, Raine smiled, and called to the housekeeper. It was time to pay a visit to Kyouya's high school friends.

Raine stood in front of a huge mansion. It was ridiculous. Did all of Japan's nobility/rich live like this? Never mind. That was a stupid question. Of course they did. They would die of shame otherwise.
She supposed that the size of the house was the reason that no one had come to the door in the five minutes since she had rang the doorbell. It had been loud and sounded like church bells but that did not necessarily mean anyone in this monstrosity would hear it. She scowled and moved to press the button again, when the door flew open and two identical red-haired men stood, breathless, in the doorway. They had identical expressions of shock on their faces. The only difference between the two was the clothing. The one on the left wore and orange t-shirt and designer jeans with a wallet chain. The one on the right wore a blue button up short-sleeved shirt and khaki slacks.
The one on the left spoke up first, "Hikaru, she looks like-"
"Oh, dear, brother, I believe you are correct, she does. Maybe we should call her to meet-"
"No, it would-"
"Yes, you're right. Anyway, welcome to the Hitachiin mansion, Raine Wilson. Maybe Kyouya will actually decide to keep you."
Kaoru snickered.
Raine blinked in confusion.
She had a friend with a twin brother in middle school and it still made her uncomfortable to be around them while they finished each other sentences, either aloud or in their minds. It was as if she was hearing a very intimate conversation not fit for company. She vaguely wondered whom they were talking about, but before she could ask, she was pulled into the mansion with one brother on each side.
She was marched up the stairs to a room with fabrics draped over every bit of spare furniture. The only thing that was not covered up was the mirror, a large block in the center of the room, and a table holding needles, pins, and scissors.
They stood her on the block and told her to turn, slowly. She did. One brother, the one she figured had to be Kaoru, jerked her shoulders back and told her to stand with better posture. She glared, but did so, despite the unpleasantness of it.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Kaoru." The one called Hikaru asked his brother in Japanese. Raine had to take a minute to translate this, as her Japanese was still not perfect.
Kaoru answered, in English, "Long graceful neck, small hips, large bust line," Raine blushed, "I can't decide until we see her back."
Both Hitachiins suddenly acquired mischievous grins and turned to speak directly to her, "Strip!"
"WHAT?" Raine shrieked.
"Either you do it, or we'll do it for you." Hikaru answered.
Raine complied, figuring that they were either gay or completely detached from their customers, because save for the pleasure they took in her discomfort, there had been nothing but professionalism since the shock of seeing her at the door. She was so glad she had decided to shave and wear matching underwear that morning.
"Let's see," Hikaru said, "This is to be a formal affair?"
Raine nodded once.
Once again, they directed her to turn, and said in unison, "Halter, in midnight blue, floor length, full skirts and low back."
Raine goggled. It was amazing how they were in accord. She opened her mouth to ask about choosing fabric but they were far ahead of her, laying out bolts of midnight blue fabric. Each bolt had a different texture or pattern, and one even had silver strands running through it that shimmered when moved. Running a hand over the iridescent fabric, she sighed. It was silk taffeta.
Kaoru, who had been watching the young woman, lifted up the fabric and said, "This for the bodice, I think. Brother?"
Hikaru, the less observant of the two, nodded, and then saw her brush the tulle with gentle fingers, "The skirt," he whispered to his brother.
Kaoru nodded in agreement, and set that aside, too. The young woman who was to marry their friend floated about the room as if in a dream. So far, she had said nothing. There had been no questions about Kyouya, as many women he sent to them for dresses had. Nor had she questioned them about Haruhi, wondering why she would give up such a powerful position in society to have a ménage a trois with two men who were suspected of being homosexuals.
Obviously, Kyouya had told her some about them, otherwise she would have gaped in awe upon seeing twin, male fashion designers. Now Kaoru wanted to know why she had not been told that they were dating/living/sleeping with Kyouya's former fiancée. It was usually the first thing Kyouya told a woman, so that she would feel intimidated when coming to visit, and curious.
Then, he remembered that he was not trying to get rid of this woman as he had the others. This was one girl he was trying his best to keep, and very possibly impress. Kyouya seemed to be doing a very good job of the second one, as Raine Wilson wandered about the room, gazing at the fabrics and gaping at the richness of it all, though Kaoru found himself wishing that instead of using his friends to impress the girl that Kyouya would use himself.
Hikaru slid next to him, twitching every time Raine caressed a fabric or opened a drawer. "Can we get her measurements and make her leave now?" he whispered urgently, "Her touching our things is really starting to bother me." He looked at Kaoru with pleading eyes. Kaoru used the same face on him when he wanted something badly, so he knew how it worked.
Kaoru sighed, "Yes, if it bothers you that greatly, we will." He motioned the girl onto the block, took her measurements and shortly after, Raine Wilson found herself standing on the front steps again, with a bewildered look upon her face.

The next morning a package arrived containing a floor-length, halter-style dress that dipped tastefully in the back to just above her hips. The bodice was the iridescent dark blue with the tulle skirts, which flared out like Cinderella's ball gown. A sparkling diamond hair piece accompanied it, along with matching jewelry and a note.
The note read:
To my future sister-in-law. With love, Shido Fuyumi.
Raine swore loudly. Not only did this force her to go to the ball, but it also meant she had to like it.

A/N: Yes, I am quite aware that I have trouble ending my chapters. I really didn't want to end it this way, but it was getting horribly long, and I am running short on time!!
OMG OMG OMG! The Ouran Anime needs to come out TODAY!! NOT next Monday!! I am going to go NUTS if I have to wait until Monday! Okay, FUNimation! Let's step it up and tell me which channel it's going to be on!
Sorry, mad fangirl rant is over, I promise.