Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Sleeping In ❯ Sleeping In - Chapter Seven - Two Mornings After ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sleeping In
by Palatyne
Chapter Seven
Two Mornings After

Disclaimer: I do not own Ouran High School Host Club. The original manga story, characters and plot belong to Bisco Hatori, Lala, English editions to Viz Mediaand the anime to Bones, et.al.
Author's Note: I know I couldn't apologize enough for the very long delay. I had a lot of difficulty writing this chapter, the current version is the sixth or seventh version I had written (and I'm still not completely satisfied). I also had to deal with other responsibilities and had to set aside the writing of this fic for several months.
Still, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Thank you so much to all those who read and reviewed the previous chapter, I apologize again for the long wait.

Chapter Seven
Two Mornings After
“Ootori-san, are you alright?”
Kyouya looked turned to the girl sitting next to him and subdued the urge to glower in reply.
“Daijoubu, Kawasaki-san.” He politely replied, even managing a smile.
Mentally, he cursed.
Nothing was going according to his plan.
He had planned all night long and well into the early hours of morning. He had slept barely two hours when his alarm clocks rang and he willed himself to wake up - shocking his attendants who instinctively scampered out of his way, fearing for their lives.
Yet surprisingly he had woken with a fairly even temper. He was sleep-deprived and in acute pain, but all that he chose to ignore.
For this morning was significant. This morning he had decided to start his most important undertaking - and he would let nothing stand in his way.
Not even himself, and definitely not the person for whom all the hard work was for.
He knew her school schedule better than she did. And he knew too, that today she would be at Ouran earlier than usual to check the Music Room.
Being the most junior members of the club, she and the twins were assigned the post-weekend check of the Music Room - to make sure that everything was in order for the week ahead. This month was her turn.
He had devised the perfect plan - albeit not without a few risks. But all in all, he had been quite pleased with himself. He had everything accounted for, he had all the risks weighed and compensated for. It was a simple matter of placing himself strategically in her path and getting her alone - that second part of which he had planned with much interest. He had envisioned what would happen, scene by scene and mentally reviewed every word he had planned to say.
He was completely ready, waiting only for his plan to unfold and succeed.
But just when he thought he had chosen the perfect time, the earliest time, the time of the day with the least possibility of interference - he became the unwitting victim of what he could only described as an ambush.
“Ootori-san, what do you think?” The girl's shrill voice asked once more, breaking into his thoughts.
“Gomennasai Kawasaki-san, I did not quite hear your question.” He replied apologetically.
“Mou, Ootori-san, you're not listening at all!” The girl pouted childishly, though he knew her to be a full year older than him. She was a senior and the ringleader of the threesome who all but waylaid him on his way to the Music Room.
He did not expect to meet anyone, and indeed the halls were all but empty when he arrived. The three girls came as if out of nowhere - all smiles, giggles and determined not to let him get away.
Unfortunately for him, Kawasaki Chigusa was a loyal and regular client of the Host Club.
She saw that he was on his way to the Music Room, and for her it only meant one thing: a very early hosting session.
There had been no way to refuse without being rude - and for a brief moment, he even considered it.
“I could not help but be distracted by your appearance, Kawasaki-san. There is something different about you.” He offered smoothly, mustering a curious smile.
“Ootori-san, you're teasing!” The girl tittered, obviously pleased. “But now that you mentioned it, I did change my hairstyle.” She added, flipping her hair for effect.
Kyouya sighed under his breath but managed to utter a compliment. Soon the girl continued her interrupted soliloquy. He let her trail on. There was nothing she could possibly say that would interest him. He smiled absently, feigning attention and nodding in agreement at every pause.
He was not the only who was bored stiff. The two other girls, whom he now guessed had only been forced to join in the scheme, were silent. They were freshmen and cousins to the older girl, though according to his records, their own families shared neither the prestige nor the wealth which the girl Kawasaki possessed. Their faces were dour as they looked at their cousin - it was obvious they bore no affection for her.
At least he was not alone in his suffering.
He had never felt any ill feeling towards any of the female clients of the Host Club. He treated them all with the same polite attentiveness, while making sure to make the most out of their patronage of the Club. Every once in a while he turned on his charm, though it was not a skill he particularly enjoyed. He left the pseudo-seduction to Tamaki and the others.
His slightly indifferent view of the clients allowed him to be patient with those whom even Mori-sempai would find irritating.
However, it was one thing to play host to an insipid and annoying client during official club hours - but to be ambushed and forced to entertain an insipid and annoying client outside of Club hours was downright infuriating.
But for clients to actually interfere - although unknowingly - with his plans was unforgivable. It took all of his self-control not to snap at them and demand that they get out of his sight.
Discreetly he glanced at his watch. Half an hour of what little time he had was already wasted with the most self-centered chatterbox in the world. His gaze wandered involuntarily towards the Music Room's main doors.
Where is she?
It was not in her nature to be tardy. In his numerous conversations with her father he had gleaned that she was an early riser, prompt and more than punctual. It was long past her scheduled time to be in the Music Room. Soon the halls would be filled with students who would accost her at every turn - one of the consequences of her newfound popularity.
Soon the other members of the Host Club would arrive as well. The twins were bound to meet her somewhere and from them there would be no escape. They might even decide to accompany her to the Music Room themselves.
However, worrying about it was useless. Even if she did arrive, it wouldn't matter anymore. Not when he himself was trapped.
His plan had failed before it even started.
Still he couldn't help but watch out for her arrival and his anticipation had nothing to do with his already-botched plan.
But all he could do was wait and endure the inane chatter around him in silence.
“Ootori-sempai, are the other Host Club members coming in early today too?” One of the two younger girls asked him.
“I don't think so Chiseki-san -”
He was suddenly interrupted by a loud screeching noise - the familiar sound of the Music Room's aged wooden doors being opened.
His view of the door was blocked by the settee facing him, but he had a good guess as to who it was.
“It's Haruhi-san!” The girl Chiseki cried.
His guess was confirmed.
She had finally arrived.
She did not seem to realize yet that he was there. Her view would be blocked as well.
He decided to wait for her to see him before greeting her.
“Ohayou, Chiseki-san.” He heard her greet back uncertainly, her confusion evident. “I didn't realize there were people here. We are not usually open at this time. Guests are not allowed to come in before club hours.”
He smiled slightly at her words. Despite intending to be polite, she still could not help but be too blunt.
“It's okay Haruhi-san, Ootori-sempai invited us!”
It was his cue.
She was already a few paces from the settee, and as Chiseki leaned away slightly, he came into her line of sight.
She all but froze in place. Her large, brown eyes widened in surprise.
“Ohayou, Haruhi.” He smiled at her.
Her eyes blinked rapidly a few times. Her lips parted slightly, as if to say something.
“Kyouya…” She gasped.
He felt a sudden rush of pleasure at the sound of his name spoken so familiarly, bereft of its honorific.
He looked at her piercingly, his smile broadening.
But soon enough she flushed, her cheeks turning crimson and her eyes widening slightly in horror as she realized her mistake - and the intimacy it suggested.
Sempai. Ohayou Gozaimasu.” She added hurriedly, making up for her blunder with an excess of politeness.
“Ohayou Gozaimasu, Haruhi.” He enunciated her name slowly, still smiling and his gaze on her unbroken. Though no one else seemed to have noticed her blunder, he wanted her to know that he did.
And that he was absolutely pleased by it.
She flushed even more at his scrutiny and she frowned slightly. But before she could do anything an overexcited shriek filled the room.
“Haruhi-san, please, please sit with us! I'm so glad you're here!”
“Hai, arigatou.” She smiled politely, but her measured movements showed her reluctance. It was discouraged for a host to refuse an invitation outright, especially when there was no reason to decline.
Haruhi moved to join the two other girls on the settee opposite him. Instantly Chiseki engaged her in an animated conversation. He only then remembered, hinted at by the familiar way she spoke to Haruhi, that they were classmates.
The other girl on the other hand, who was too insignificant for her name to be noted by him, seemed to suddenly turn into stone.
“Ah Haruhi-san, this is my cousin Kanzaki Soseki. She's a freshman to from class D. She's been looking forward to meeting you for a long, long time!” Chiseki fired away seemingly without drawing breath.
“Hajimemashite Soseki-san. I'm glad you've decided to visit us.” Haruhi greeted amiably, but the girl only flushed in reply.
“She's never been with a Host before! But you're her absolute favorite! So she's speechless!”
The girl yelped faintly as she realized she was being teased.
“Oh, but the other Hosts are so much better than me. I'm just as new to this as you are.” Haruhi said humbly and sincerely. This was her secret, the key to her being a “natural rookie.”
“I think Haruhi-san that you will receive a lot of designations from Soseki from now on!” Chiseki teased. She was obviously goading her cousin to speak.
“Arigatou. That would help me a lot. But I hope we will be friends too, Soseki-san?” She smiled directly at the silent girl who gave only an almost imperceptible nod, her eyes still looking resolutely at the floor.
“Mou, Soseki! Can't you at least say one word?” Chiseki berated laughingly, causing her cousin to shrink from the conversation even more.
Kyouya was so caught up with watching their conversation that he was too late to see the pair of narrowed eyes cast in his direction.
He had completely forgotten the one other person in the room - his client. It was the worst thing a host could do.
He was about to appease her, but she suddenly turned to the others and her eyes narrowed into slits.
He knew the look well. He had always been very astute when it came to other people's thoughts and emotions - and a full year dealing with girls like Kawasaki taught him a great deal about just how cruel some of them could be.
“Soseki, if you insist on acting like a fool, I suggest you leave. You are embarrassing me.”
The harsh words silenced the conversation, and the girl Soseki's head seemed to all but sink to the floor.
“Gomennasai…” The girl's voice trembled, close to tears.
“Chigusa-san…” The other cousin exclaimed, her face a mask of fury and fear, but it was obvious that she would not contradict her cousin openly.
Her attention was now focused on another person. She was now looking directly at Haruhi.
“We have not been introduced.”
Kyouya cringed inwardly. He had been so distracted that he completely overlooked the foremost rule of courtesy.
“We have never met, sempai.” Haruhi's voice was cool, but defiant. She was frowning, obviously displeased at the girl's cruel words to her own cousin.
He saw Chigusa's face contort in anger.
“How unmannered, and you call yourself a Host -”
“Kawasaki-san, this is Fujioka Haruhi, our newest member. Haruhi, this is Kawasaki Chigusa from class 3-B.” He cut in firmly, furrowing his brows in irritation.
He knew the reason for the girl's hostility to Haruhi - she was punishing her for taking the limelight and for holding his attention.
Seeing the change in his expression Kawasaki turned to him swiftly, her own expression changed to that of curiosity, all traces of anger gone.
“I wonder why I've never noticed him before,” She said sweetly. “These other members of the Host Club are sometimes just so…forgettable.
“Haruhi-san is not forgettable.” Came the faint voice of Soseki.
For a moment everyone was shocked to hear her speak.
“That's right.” Chiseki added, her own courage rekindled.
“Soseki-san…” Haruhi tried to intercede. It was now obvious that the conversation was plunging into open hostility - and she was at the heart of it.
Kawasaki smiled derisively. “That is your opinion. I believe Ootori-san is the best Host. All the others are just mere annoyances.”
“That's not true! Haruhi is a favorite Host! We sometimes wish he'd spend less time in the Club and more time with his classmates!”
“Chiseki-san…” Haruhi muttered pleadingly.
“If you desire his company so much, maybe you should tell him to quit from the Club.” She smiled a fake, spiteful smile at her cousin. “I'm sure he won't be missed.”
Then she turned to look directly to Haruhi, her eyes full of malice. But her words were addressed to him.
“I suppose you were simply being kind, Ootori-san, to let someone of his kind in the Host Club.”
The insult was not lost on Haruhi, he saw her meet the other girl's gaze with equal fury.
She was not one to lose her temper so easily. This was just another mean client, and he had seen her handle each one with unequaled grace - even ones far worse than Kawasaki.
But this time her eyes were blazing.
Yet she remained silent. He knew exactly what she was thinking: that it was not her place to oppose a senior, let alone a client. She could do nothing to defend herself.
He was suddenly furious.
“Kawasaki-san.” he intoned icily. “I'm afraid I do not agree with you. Haruhi is one our most popular hosts, second only to Tamaki.”
Under his reprimanding gaze the senior girl withered. She was suddenly sputtering, shocked by his sudden change in demeanor, shaken by his obvious anger.
“Ootori-san, I didn't mean that -”
He ignored her. He turned to the other girls and in a much warmer voice he added,
“Haruhi is invaluable to our club. He is our natural-rookie. We simply won't survive without him.”
He addressed everyone in the room. “As vice-president, it's imperative for me to make sure he stays.”
Then he turned to Haruhi.
For a moment it was as if there was no one else in the room.
“I simply won't let him go.”
He saw the anger that had burned in her eyes disappear, replaced by an expression of utter shock, which was then followed by a flash of realization as his words finally hit her.
She blushed.
He smiled.
But soon he realized it was the wrong thing to do.
She rose swiftly from the settee.
“I think...I should…get us some tea.” She addressed the suggestion to him as fellow host, but she did not meet his eyes.
“Haruhi…”
“I hear you serve your kind of coffee here, the commoner's kind. You should serve that.” Kawasaki called out derisively, recovering from her earlier defeat.
But Haruhi did not even acknowledge her, let alone dodge the insult. She was already walking away.
She was walking away from him.
Again.
Kyouya cursed under his breath, uncaring if he was heard. He had completely ruined a plan that he could have salvaged.
Now he was back to where he started.
Strike one.

Haruhi breathed a sigh of relief as she leaned weakly against the closed door of one of the Music Room's several storerooms.
This one had been modified to serve the specific needs of the Host Club. It was now equipped with marble-topped counters, a silver-bowl sink and a state-of-art kitchen range. There was also a custom-built pantry for the many cakes and pastries which Hunny-sempai consumed in vast quantities. Close by were a matching set of antique cabinets where the expensive tea sets were displayed and stored.
All in all it was a well-stocked and well-equipped kitchen - and during her brief tenure as the Host Club's dog, it had been her workplace.
Haruhi willed herself to calm down, breathing in slowly and deeply. She was deeply mortified with herself. She had acted so foolishly. She should not have walked out on them.
Well, she didn't exactly walk out. She had graciously offered to get them refreshments.
But for one moment she had thought of turning away and walking out without a word.
Fortunately she had realized in time that she was being completely absurd.
And fortunately for her, apart from being rude and cruel, Kawasaki Chigusa was apparently also thirsty - providing the perfect opportunity for her escape.
Why did he say that?
Kyouya's words shocked her so much that she forgot all about her anger. Once more he had said something that was totally unexpected. She was certain that everyone saw her reaction to it - even now the burning warmth was yet to leave her face.
She had more than once been at the receiving end of a girl's hostility - even dressing as a boy had not spared her. It was not something that disturbed her too much as the emotions behind the hostility were often all too obvious. There was no point in retaliation. She did not enjoy making enemies and it was often easiest to just smile and pretend that nothing had happened.
Quite suddenly the image of Kyouya smiling at Kawasaki Chigusa came unbidden into her mind.
The strange anger once more broke the surface.
She forced herself to stillness.
There was no reason for her to be angry, absolutely no reason. He was a host, and Chigusa, a client. Sure she was irritating and mean to her cousins, tactless and totally self-centered, and not to mention intellectually-challenged but it was not for them as hosts to judge.
She too was a host, just like Kyouya. She would be smiling at Kawasaki Chigusa too, if she were designated to her.
But the thought of being pleasant to Chigusa was not pleasant at all.
Yet Kyouya was talking to her and smiling at her like she was the wittiest person in Japan.
She tried to rein in an anger she could not understand. She moved towards the antique cabinets to start looking for a tea set to use. She took out a blue, floral-patterned antique Wedgwood set. When in doubt, she always chose the plainest sets and the rest of the Club in particular the twins, regularly laughed at her lack of taste.
But this time, she chose the Wedgwood because it was the nearest she could reach.
She placed each cup carefully on a tray.
She set the tray by the sink.
She paused.
It hit her.
It finally hit her.
Instantly all her anger seeped away. What came in its wake was an intense feeling of embarrassment.
It was so easy for her to recognize the particular emotion in other people. She had seen it flash in the eyes and echo in the voice of many of the clients they entertained. She herself was a victim of it during her very first day as a host and from then on she thought it to be the most recognizable emotion of all.
But she wasn't so quick to see it in herself.
Her anger had only one utterly embarrassing cause.
She could not even bear to think of it.
She simply stood there, staring at the tea set, confronted with the one emotion she thought she understood but had never actually felt before.
Jealousy.
She didn't hear the soft click of the storeroom door as it opened.
“Haruhi.”
If she were not already startled into stillness by her realization, his voice would've sent her heart leaping out of her chest.
But she was now beyond embarrassment.
“Kyouya-sempai, do you need anything?” She asked as calmly as she could, hoping he would not notice the tremor in her voice.
She did not dare turn to face him. Instead she reached up to a cupboard, pretending to look for something.
“I came to see if everything's okay-”
“I'm fine. I'm looking for the instant coffee.” She cut in firmly, still not looking at him, busying herself with opening each one of the dozen or so glass jars she had found.
“Haruhi?”
She pretended not to hear him.
“Haruhi.”
She continued to rummage, this time moving to another cupboard.
“Haruhi, look at me.”
“Kyouya-sempai, I need to find the coffee -”
“It's right in front of you.”
Finally she turned to face him but kept her eyes low. He was pointing at the familiar jar of black powder that was sitting on the counter, in plain view and mere inches from her.
“Oh.” She muttered.
Careful not to look at him, she reached for the jar. But he was reaching for it at the same time.
Their hands brushed.
She felt a shock course through her. Quickly she pulled away, nearly dropping the jar of coffee in the process.
She turned away from him, needing to calm herself. She tried focusing all her attention to the task at hand. She spooned coffee unto the cups and added water as fast as she could.
Then she started stirring like her very life depended on it.
“There is really no need to serve them that. They will soon leave.”
“Oh but we can't disappoint Kawasaki-sempai…”
“That girl is a spoiled brat.” He said disgustedly.
“Kyouya-sempai!” Haruhi exclaimed, surprised at his blatant badmouthing of a client.
“She does not even drink coffee. She was merely being nuisance.”
It was so like him to be so reproachful of a client even when he had just been playing host to that same client. It was a side of him that perhaps very few people have seen.
But to her he had always been honest and frank. He said it was because there was no merit in putting on a performance whenever he was with her. She was not someone he needed to impress or dazzle with his show of perfect manners and excellent breeding.
To her he would always be honest and real.
Something warm was blossoming in her chest. Her mind was straying back to the very thoughts she wanted to avoid. She stirred even more vigorously, refocusing her thoughts on that one movement. She knew that to stop was to have nothing else to occupy her - nothing else to take her mind away.
“But… she's still a guest and we're the hosts so…” She reasoned.
“Playing host to them was not my idea. They ambushed me on the way here.” He sounded genuinely irritated.
“What were you doing here so early?” She asked suddenly curious.
“I was hoping to run into you.”
The spoon she was stirring with hit the inside of the cup with such force, it emitted a loud, unpleasant ringing sound.
“Haruhi… ” he continued.
But she couldn't let him. They were heading to a conversation she was not ready to have.
“Kyouya-sempai we really shouldn't keep them waiting. The coffee's ready.”
In her rush to take the tray, she underestimated its weight. Her arms bucked and the teacups wobbled precariously as her attempt to lift the tray failed.
She managed to shove half of the tray back on the counter, but the sudden movement caused a teacup to finally lose balance.
“Oh no!” She cried, as she attempted to catch the falling cup.
“Haruhi!”
A loud crashing noise filled the room as the exquisite cup shattered into pieces.
It was only then that she realized that a good portion of the cup's contents had spilled onto her right hand.
She felt herself being pulled towards the sink and suddenly she felt cold water running down her hand.
“Sempai!” she started.
Kyouya held her hand gently but firmly under the running water. His face was set in a grim expression, and his eyes were sharp, almost angry.
Despite the cool water, she was acutely aware of a warm, burning sensation that had nothing to do with the tea that had scalded her skin.
“Kyouya-sempai, it's all right.” She protested, trying to pull free.
He ignored her.
She looked down and saw the shattered mess of what was once a very rare and very expensive teacup.
“Gomennasai…the Wedgwood…” She could not help but mutter.
“Never mind that.”
“Demo…its part of a set -”
“Then we'll destroy the rest! Then they'd be perfectly matched!” He snapped angrily.
Haruhi was startled by the anger in his voice.
Wordlessly he took her hand from the water and with his free hand deftly pulled a towel from the rack by the sink.
“Does it hurt?” He asked, as he dried her hand gently with the towel.
“No.”
“Don't lie.”
“I'm not. I'm fine. I don't think it's burned at all.”
He didn't look like he believed her. He took her hand into both of his and looked closely.
“There seems to be no burns.” He muttered.
“I told you.”
“You might still need to see a doctor.”
He was still looking at her hand, turning it over.
“Where did you learn that?”
“It's basic first aid Haruhi, even commoner schools teach that.” He replied tersely, but she saw that saw he was smirking.
“I know how to give first aid. But you look like you know exactly what to look for. Like you were a doctor…”
Haruhi stopped herself from saying more. Kyouya was still looking at her hand, but there was a strange expression on his face.
“You say the most interesting things, Haruhi.” He said quietly, his hands still holding hers.
She was starting be much too aware of the warmth of his hands, and the throbbing pulse at her wrist.
He remained silent, seemingly still examining her hands.
But his fingers were gliding across her skin slowly, leisurely. She tried not to feel the sensations, the tiny shocks dancing where their skin touched - and how this made her heart beat even faster.
“I guess this adds up to my debt.” She said unthinkingly, not knowing how else to break the ice.
Kyouya looked at her with a look of sheer incredulity on his face.
“Is that what you were thinking of?” His voice was strangely rough.
“It's an expensive cup …” She stammered, startled by his expression.
“You could have been severely burned yet you worry about your debt?” He spoke quietly, as if he was trying to keep himself in check.
“The coffee wasn't that hot.” She reasoned lamely.
Kyouya did not reply. His brows were knit closely. He seemed distracted by something, a thought that had crossed his mind. She took advantage of the moment to try to pull her hand free.
“Arigatou, Kyouya-sempai. I am perfectly all right now.”
But he did not let go. He held her hand, and as he did he looked at her.
His face was calm, but his eyes pierced her.
“Haruhi, are you really that uncomfortable with me?”
“Of course not. Why should I be?” She answered too fast, a knee-jerk answer.
Once more she tried to pull her hand free.
But he held fast, holding firmly.
“You have every reason to be. Unless you've completely forgotten what happened.”
She didn't need to ask him to know what he was referring to.
How could she possibly forget?
It was taking all her control not to think about it every single second. She had summoned all her will to keep from reliving every moment of it.
How could she forget when his very presence brought back every sensation, every emotion she had felt that fateful morning?
How could I possibly forget?!
Yet she could not say it. She could only glare at him, trying mightily to pull away from his grasp.
“Haruhi, if you keep on avoiding me. This will never work.” He said softly, almost as if to himself.
“What are you talking about?” She snapped, more irritated than curious. “And will you please let me go, Kyouya-sempai?”
“Never.”
His spoke calmly. But he spoke with such determination that it stunned her.
It was as if he was making a vow.
There was a long pause, they simply stood there with their hands welded strangely together - each waiting for the other to speak first.
“Are you afraid me?” He spoke first, the corners of his mouth tilting into a smile.
“No. I'm not.” She tried to sound indifferent.
But she was bewildered, more confused than she had ever been.
“Then there's no reason for you to run away from me,” With a smile he added, “- again.”
She felt a warm, traitorous blush creep into her cheeks.
“I was not -”
“I won't hurt you, Haruhi.”
The words startled her. For a moment she could not think of anything to say.
She was not ready for this. This was not how she had decided to things to go on from that morning. She had resolved to go on as if nothing had happened. After all, there was absolutely no merit to be had from what had happened - for both of them!
She had hoped, even expected that he would ignore what had happened.
Yet she knew his words to be true.
“I know…I know that.” She spoke despite herself.
“Haruhi - ”
The sound of approaching footsteps echoed from outside the room. Next came the muffled sound of a sweet lilting voice from just behind the door.
“Cakes! I want to eat cakes!”
“It's Hunny-sempai!” Haruhi gasped.
But before Haruhi could move away from Kyouya, the door to the hidden kitchen flew open.
“I want to eat cakes!!” Hunny-sempai all but shouted from Mori-sempai's shoulders. It took them a few seconds to notice they were not alone.
“Kyo-chan!” Hunny exclaimed, surprise in his voice. “I didn't know we were opening early today?”
“Ohayou, Hunny-sempai, Mori-sempai.” Kyouya greeted politely.
“Eh….Haru-chan? You're here too!” Hunny squealed in delight as he saw her. Swiftly his eyes turned to Kyouya, then to her once more.
“O-ohayou, Hunny-sempai…M-m-mori-sempai.” Haruhi stuttered. She had managed to tug her hands free from Kyouya before anyone could see but they were still standing too close to each other.
“Is it Haru-chan's turn to check the Music Room?” Hunny-sempai asked, his gaze still moving alternately from her to Kyouya
“H-hai.” She muttered weakly. Her heart was hammering wildly. She felt as if she had been caught doing something she shouldn't.
Kyouya on the other hand, managed to move discreetly away from her, placing a respectable distance between them.
“Haru-chan, daijoubu? Your face is all red!”
“Eh?” Haruhi reached a hand to her face almost involuntarily.
“Maybe you have a fever!!”
“No, I…I'm -”
Haruhi groaned under her breath. Hunny-sempai's scrutiny was only making her flush even more.
“Haruhi is fine, Hunny-sempai. It's this room, it's too warm.” Kyouya intoned smoothly.
“Hmmmmmm…..” It was the most innocent sound in the world, but somehow the lilting voice had an edge of doubt. “Demo, demo, what are you doing here so early Kyou-chan?”
Hunny-sempai asked in his usual childish voice, yet he was looking at Kyouya intently, and for a moment he didn't look like a child at all.
“Kyou-chan never comes in this early, ne Takashi?” He prodded some more.
“Ah.” Mori-sempai replied blankly, but his inexpressive eyes were also trained on Kyouya.
Haruhi was starting to feel uncomfortable. She could feel suspicion in the air, waiting only for someone to voice it out.
Kyouya, however, seemed unperturbed.
“I noticed last week that we were running low on cakes and pastries. I decided to come in early to check if we still have supplies for the week. As it turns out, we might have to ration them.”
Kyouya's words seemed harmless and he spoke them with not a hint of emotion.
But he was right on target.
All at once Hunny-sempai's face was contorted with anxiety, his lips quivering.
“Mitsukuni…” Mori-sempai whispered apprehensively.
“…rations …” Hunny whispered.
Hunny-sempai's attention was now effectively distracted, but at the cost of what would probably be a very, very horrible crying jag.
She had to thank Kyouya for that.
Or maybe not.
Either way, now was the perfect time for her to leave.
“Anou, sempai…I have to go to class now. See you later.”
She was careful not to look at Kyouya as she left.
Once more, she was running away.