Pani Poni Dash! Fan Fiction / Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Act II: Nightmare!? ❯ Episode 5: "Who Sings a Nocturne in the Moonlight?" By Connor ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Nightmare?!
Episode 5: “Who Sings a Nocturne in the Moonlight?” by Connor
“Shady meetings again, I take it,” Ichijou murmured to the person leaning on her back.
“Under the stars?” Howell asked, running a quick hand through his white hair. “Who needs shade?”
“Yo~, stop being witty back there,” Connor muttered. “Deathsmiles is on his way.”
This small group had gathered under the gaze of the full moon, on the rooftop of the hotel the group had secured as their own—Crystal Teardrops Hotel. The air above was crisp and just a bit cool, perhaps due to the changing seasons. Connor unfolded his arms and rose up to meet their big leader as Albeiro Imma appeared in a swirl of wind. The man's face looked a bit... more serious than normal, considering he still had that way-too-goddamn-cheery smile on his face. “Are we all here?”
“How about Stealth Spy Roboko?” Ichijou asked, but Howell silenced her with a backhand-like gesture.
“I'm actually here, ya know,” A slightly scratchy voice chirped. A boxy robot with a pink shirt seemed to flash into existence. How a robot could pull off such ninja-like moves would evade the common man for years, that was until said robot removed its helmet-slash-mask, revealing a blue-haired girl underneath. Tufts of her hair stuck out like cat's ears. “But I can never guess what you're up to, either.”
“Oy, Serizawa, nice seein' ya again!” Rakan laughed. “Wondering where you were hiding!”
“Probably failing to confess her feelings to Gojikko again,” Connor muttered. He was rewarded with a shiruken to the forehead. “Goddammit!” He complained as he removed the offensive item and readjusted his bandanna to stop the exaggerated bleeding.
“While I'm not too fond of second parties during meetings, Howell won't pay attention otherwise,” Al turned to Ichijou. “So I suppose I'll let you stay. Save your smart remarks, though. I have that market cornered~”
“Who cares about a market like that?” snapped a girl wearing thick glasses.
“Now Behoimi-chan, that's not nice,” The green-haired maid chided her comrade. Simply known as Media, the young maid had a perpetual smile, though unlike Al it was one hundred percent genuine at all times instead of ninety percent at half the time.
This un-magical-girl-like Behoimi merely snorted a bit before moving back to business. “Anyway, what did you call us out here for? It's getting cold and I've got homework up the wazoo.”
“Hahaha, fine, fine,” Albiero snapped the book he was holding. “Anyway, it's been a while since we've all been together like this. We've had our previous meeting when Negi Springfield first arrived, but now that all seven of us are here, we can finally get started. Serizawa, what have you learned?”
The actress cleared her throat. “Negi Springfield is working pretty well in Peach Moon, and all of his partners are as well... speaking of which, he made two new ones here, too.”
“Who?” Media asked.
“Kashiwagi twins,” Ichijou suddenly spoke up. When all heads turned to her, she simply added, “I was there.”
“Oh god, the twins?!” Behoimi's jaw fell crooked. “Man, if he were a few years older, there'd never be a virgin within a five mile radius of him!”
“Some mages have actually tried to study that effect,” Howell added. “I of course told them that they were merely jealous about not getting laid, but then they punched me!” The white-haired youth lamented. “And I was only trying to help!” Howell shed dramatic tears, while Ichijou mutely soothed him for added effect.
“It's only because tact is beyond you,” Connor snarled. “If you worked on it, you might not be on the receiving end of so much abuse.”
“Now now, boys, play nice,” Al said. “Serizawa, if you would continue.”
“Seems that Negi already has some pactios within class 1-C, considering how they grilled the twins before they let them do the deed,” Serizawa continued. “I suspect he might have one with the missing Becky-chan too.”
“I could have told you that,” Ichijou piped up again, getting stares once more. The honorary eighth member didn't even bat an eyelash—as expected of 1-C's strangest personality. What a perfect match for Howell, everyone else thought, beating the audience over the head with some unknown symbolism.
“If you think we need a recap about what went on during Becky's trip to Mahora, don't bother,” Connor waved off Ichijou's random help. “We've heard already.”
“Anyway...” Serizawa calmly snatched the lead again, as if she were used to this. “Negi's staff... it's probably the best proof that we've got that Nagi Springfield may still be alive. After all, even if he couldn't control it, he's the last person that knows of the full extent of the Star Crystal.”
“Star Crystal, huh?” Connor muttered. “Everyone keeps talking about this thing with infinite power and how even the Thousand Master couldn't control it... but what the hell does it do?! You think the moron that jacked it might know?”
“That's the primary reason we're here investigating this, is it not?” Albiero succinctly stated. “The old masters are far too secret and slow with matters like this. We need the answers for ourselves, and it may benefit our tiny teachers to know, too.”
“I see,” Satisfied, Connor relaxed again.
“I detected plural in Al's last sentence~!” Media sang lightly. “You think Becky wants to be involved?”
“You know her more than anyone else here, save Howell's number two,” Rakan's smile was slight, his face more serious. “What do you think?”
Media's face changed to that of deep consternation, even gaining a concerned glance from Behoimi.
“To sum this up, the Star Crystal is heavily connected to Negi—keep your eyes on him, and the mysteries that follow are sure to reveal themselves.” Al opened up his book again. “Toodles~!” Everyone split in their own direction like shounen villain ninjas. But before Connor could completely leave, Al spoke up again. “Don't forget, Connor. You've got watch duty all day tomorrow.”
“Goddammit.” Connor cursed.
“Did you say something, dearie?” Albiero asked far too pleasantly.
“No.”
xxx
“Hard to believe it's the weekend already,” Asuna yawned. “I'm going back to the hotel and sleeping.” In that span of time since our shady meeting, the next day had come, and quite frankly, was on its way out. Negi and his chosen 3-A crew had made their way back to the hotel to regroup.
“Asuna-san, that won't do!” Negi said, putting up one of those adorable flailing tricks kids use these days. “This is the first time we'll have any good chance of searching for Becky!”
“We've got all night and Sunday,” Asuna responded grouchily. “I need a snooze. And to angst in peace for about five minutes.” She huffed before finally stalking off towards the hotel.
Negi sighed, unsure as to why Asuna felt particularly unhappy. “Asuna-san... what's wrong?” He thought out loud and sadly.
“Negi-kun...” Konoka jogged a bit to catch up to him. “I'm not too sure either, but that strange man from the Student Mage Council said something to her Thursday that has her thinking ever since.”
“Okay then,” Negi rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “I'll talk to her about it when she wakes up.” He turned to the rest of the group that was following. “But even without Asuna, the search for clues about Becky's whereabouts must go on. I'm not sure how much spare time I'll get from now to Sunday, considering I have papers to grade, but finding out anything that will either help us find her or convince her to come out of hiding will be the first step to dealing with the mystery of Peach Moon. Does everyone understand?”
“Yes, sensei~!” Everyone else answered, a bit louder than he thought for five other people.
Negi smiled for a bit, before whirling around for a head count. There weren't five people behind him! There were thirteen!
Negi's five looked at the small crowd that had gathered... all of them affiliates of Negi's from Peach Moon. “'Sup,” Himeko greeted. “You said you were lookin' for Becky? We omega wanna help!”
xxx
“So, Konoe-san,” Yuma started off, once the twins, Konoka, and Setsuna were safely in Konoka's room. “While Negi-sensei is the star of the show, you're the first magical girl we saw. Are you in training, too?”
Konoka looked at the twins as they walked in on her in the room. “Yeah... but I haven't been at it as long as he has. While I've been a mage since birth, I only recently learned about all the goings on after Negi-kun saved me from a fairy attack.” Konoka shot a gaze at Setsuna, who was sitting peacefully on her knees. “Secchan is my childhood friend. She's been protecting me since she could lift a sword. She is truly a friend.”
“Ojou-sama,” Setsuna said demurely. “I am not worthy of your praise.” There was the slightest tinge of red on her cheeks.
“And here I thought there was something different,” Yuna pouted. “That's not moe at all...”
“Exactly!” Yuma interjected. “Just like that costume she had when you summoned her power! It's not moe at all!”
“Moe?!” Setsuna interjected. “What is with your obsession with moe?! Weren't you focused on Miyazaki just a day or two ago?! I belong not in the affairs of moe!” She turned her back on the others, serving those silly children right.
Konoka pouted. Bad move, Setsuna.
“You say that...” The more reserved Yuna began. “...but we've been modeling clothes for years. We have a sharp eye, and especially in the eye of your um... master, you definitely have the potential.”
“You can't hide it, girlfriend,” Yuma smiled and wagged her finger. “Chalk it up as our obsession all you want, but clothes make the woman, regardless of the situation. And we think we can pull out your potential—no, thanks to being joined with Negi-sensei, we can pull out everyone's potential.”
“Really?” Konoka's eyes sparkled.
At this point, Setsuna knew she was screwed. “B-b-b-bu-bu-bu-bu-but but...”
“Konoe-san!” Yuma and Yuna bellowed in chorus. “Allow us to show our skills at fashion design, using Sakurazaki-san as our model!” They grabbed Setsuna as a sign that they meant business.
Konoka looked between the three of them, her face unreadable. Coming to a decision at last, the girl smiled. “Show me what you have. Make Secchan pretty.” As if there was room for any doubt. HA!
xxx
Negi quietly stepped into the room. Asuna was lying there, curled under her covers. “Asuna-san?” He whispered, weary of disturbing her if she was actually asleep. The boy dropped his staff and stepped closer.
“Go away...” Asuna muttered.
“Asuna-san...” Negi sighed sadly. “Why are you upset?”
“Man...” Asuna figured Negi was both persistent and enough of a bleeding heart to continue pestering her, so she finally gave in. “I have weirdo powers.”
“Weirdo powers?” Negi blinked.
“Yeah, that one MANLY dude described it as 'Magic Death' or something,” Asuna stopped hiding completely and poked her face out at Negi. “I have no idea why I have these powers, and somebody who knows the answer won't tell me. And I'm worried about what this means...”
“Asuna-san, you shouldn't worry about being outcast because you have powers,” Negi offered, giving a smile. “After all, we're all a collection of different people, who all share the same sky. Someone once told me that even if we have different ideas, we all share one sky, and one destiny!”
“Knew you'd say that,” Asuna grunted. “And that's not what I mean. You've been aware of your powers since birth. I only recently got mixed up in all this, so you know what that means?!” She sat up straight, her face desperate. “My life is a lie! You know how things go when you get strange new powers! There's no way my parents would be aware of things like this, so I'm probably doomed to some tragic past I'd rather not know about! My life is a lie, just like that goddamn cake...” She sobbed hysterically while pounding the floor.
“Asuna-san,” Negi gave an awkward smile, chaos knows what else he could've done. And what the hell was she talking about with the cake?!
“I'll just get all my angsting over with now so I don't have to deal with it later,” Asuna went back to sulking under her covers, just as Nodoka let herself in, followed by Rei.
“Negi-sensei,” Nodoka greeted kindly. However, upon seeing Asuna sulking in her sheets, changed her face to concern. “What's wrong with Asuna-san?”
“She thinks her life is a lie,” Negi answered sadly. “So she wants to get the angst out of the way. But that's simply not true!”
“Angsting all at once could ruin future character development!” Nodoka worried.
Attempting to be genre savvy never works out in the long run,” Rei waved off Asuna's sorrow and bit back a smirk. “You actually have to know what's going on.”
“The hell are you talking about?!” Asuna, angst forgotten, immediately snapped up and snarled at Rei.
“For somebody who's usually only book dumb, you sure are being everything-else-dumb, too.” The sinister Chinese girl smoothly continued her chastisement.
“Why you little—” Asuna nearly moved to attack. Nodoka couldn't decide if she should move to stop her friend or jump back in fear.
“Now girls, please don't fight amongst each other,” Negi saved Nodoka the bother, always the underaged diplomat.
Asuna relented, though her anger was still there.
Rei, on the other hand, was winding down (somewhat) even without Negi's request. “Fine, fine. To put it simply, I need to clear a few things up.” Rei crossed her arms. “The Student Mage Council have their eyes on us for some reason. Chao was telling me about that, earlier.”
“Really?” Negi asked. “Why didn't you tell us this earlier.”
“Slipped my mind since they themselves aren't doing anything I'd deem too suspicious... yet.”
xxx
Anyway, the Student Mage Council is actually a joint effort between both of our schools. Chao informed me that they moved here just as you did. Because of the watchful eye of all the elders in Mahora, they couldn't move so close to us—but out here, they have full jurisdiction.”
In the foyer of the hotel, Connor strolled in after a patrol outside. He found nothing dangerous of note, even as the sun disappeared over the horizon. Seeing a few of the girls chattering, he gave a friendly wave. No longer trapped in that awful and unmanly maid suit, he could actually greet other people with streetwise confidence and badassery! How's that for being a representative?!
Eh?!”
Yep, they're shoehorning their way into the Star Crystal business. I don't know why they feel they have a stake in it, though. Might have something to do with 3-A. In any case it might be why they know something about you, Asuna-san.”
The bandanna-bearing boy asked about the weather, and why there were so many extra guests. The girls claimed they'd be seriously searching for Becky. Connor's interest was caught! Were all of these girls partners of the popular Negi Springfield as well?
Really. Why don't they approach us directly, considering that they could know more about me than I do?! That's super creepy!”
Looks like they'd rather be creepy than threatening or rude. That's just how they roll. Or maybe they're all ninjas. But that doesn't mean that they have access to stuff we don't. Magic Cancel, or 'Magic Death', as that muscle-head called it, is supposedly a divine ability to negate any and all forms of magic. Apparently that ability is pretty rare—that's why nobody has ever studied it that much.”
There was much idle chat, that was until Connor saw a faint figure up the balcony, trying to sneak away. The signature wasn't familiar to him (since he often caught Serizawa sneaking around a lot), so he immediately assumed a fighting stance, startling the few girls around him. However, in the end he only spotted someone currently non-threatening. The girls followed his gaze to see a nervous Setsuna Sakurazaki, quietly trying to make her escape.
Connor called out to her. The shock she displayed was like an exclamation point showing up above someone caught in a spotlight. Just as well, since five seconds later she was doomed. Within seconds, Konoka appeared, followed by the twins. All three immediately swarmed the girl before dragging her back into the yuri abyss despite her quiet, doomed pleas.
So I can negate magic, huh? So how come Negi's contract works, and Konoka can heal me?”
Don't know for sure, but likely it has to be a conscious effort on your part. Beyond that, looks like you'll have to confront the Student Mage Council on what they know.”
Everyone on the ground floor just stared blankly. I mean, she did look cute.
xxx
“Dozens of mysteries, and they only get deeper...” Asuna attempted to think hard. However, she failed miserably. “Screw thinking about it, my head will burst. I'm better off not pretending that I'm intelligent.”
“Acknowledgment is the first step in dealing with problems!” Negi happily supplied, only to get a grade A sucker punch to the head. “Owww, I'm sorry!”
“Asuna-san, please r-refrain from violence on Negi-sensei!” Nodoka tried to pipe up.
Unfortunately, that failed, since about that time, the lights went out.
“Eep!” The shy Library girl immediately clung onto the underaged genius as if he were life support.
“That's mighty convenient,” Rei stated, stealing my line. That's convenient too, ya know.
Alas, alas, the world was suddenly a whole lot darker. Only faint light from a few mobile devices kept the place from completely falling into darkness. Negi could hear the unrest and worry outside. However, he first needed to deal with a small issue. “Ummm Nodoka-san... please let go.”
“Ah! I'm sorry!” The girl immediately let go of Negi and hopped backwards to give the boy space.
“That's fine!” Negi gave a smile in the darkness, uncertain if it reached anyone, let alone Nodoka. “We need to check on the others.”
They stepped outside into the foyer, by now their eyes had adjusted for the lack of light. Still, even the peaceful hotel looked quite uninviting in this shadowed place. “Is everyone okay?”
“I think so...” He heard Miyako wearily. “But dammit, I knew we should've moved out earlier!”
“It's kinda creepy in here now, maho~” Himeko added in worriedly.
“It's the darkness of the year,” Rokugou added, which earned her multiple stares. “W-what?! I wasn't referring to that person!” Somewhere, that person suddenly felt proud of himself for no particular reason.
There was a stirring in Negi's pocket, and Chamo appeared. “Oi, big bro! Who turned off the lights?”
“That's what we're trying to figure out,” Negi answered.
“Okay, everybody, don't panic at what I'm about to do,” The voice of Connor reached through everyone. There was a bit of discussion at this, until Connor did something purely amazing—he turned on a flashlight. And thus, a holy light shone, defeating the darkness and allowing our heroes to actually begin their quest to defeat that dread dark—“Umm, get on with it.” Oh, oh right. “So we have a power failure. And to the back of us is some spooky woods. Study your horror movies, and don't go out or into any weird places by yourself, got it?” He could make out some nods, so that was good enough. “I'm going to investigate the fuse box and see if anything went wrong with that. Not by myself of course.”
“Allow me!” Setsuna boldly crowed, somehow managing to navigate the darkness without running into anyone.
“I'm coming too!” Konoka added within seconds, following her.
“Ojou-sama, it's dangerous.”
“I won't learn to fight danger if I'm always coddled, and besides, you're just trying to escape the Kashiwagi fashion show.” Even in the darkness, where no one can see you scream, everyone can see your embarrassed spittake.
“Just come on!” Connor cut the bickering and motioned for them to follow as he stormed out the door. The two followed him.
This left the group with an eerie silence once again. It was so silent that Negi could practically hear the exchanged glances.
Negi could feel Chamo sit up and sniff the air. “I don't like this. Something's up.”
“What do you mean?” Negi asked.
“Lights going out, all the staff is gone, except for one dude who warns about horror movies?!” Chamo chanced. “This has to be a trap!”
Negi sighed. “Chamo-kun, don't jump to conclusions so quickly! We don't know what's goi—” Negi's voice simply cut off as the boy heard a long, haunting howl in the distance. At the same time, his staff glowed.
Darkness was on the move.
Negi bit his lip.
Kurumi quietly shed tears. “Why do you have to be right now of all times? I swear this isn't Japan anymore!”
“Hush, hush!” Miyako snarled. “Anyway, why don't we split up a bit? Traveling in too large a group just makes us as easy pickings as if we were all by ourselves. Negi-sensei, take a few of us and take care of whatever creepy crap is dancing around out there.”
“Yeah, and the rest of us can stay here to hold the fort,” Rokugou agreed. “Since not all of us have a contract with you.”
“Speaking of that,” Rei looked around, though in the darkness that wasn't too useful. “Where's Ichijou?”
Someone pointed a finger to an open window sill. All eyes followed it to see Ichijou, leaning on it and staring outside. If one had good vision, one could see faint features of concern.
“They could be at it again...” She said it listlessly, though there could be a touch of concern or sadness somewhere within.
xxx
“The amount of darkness crawling everywhere is... astounding,” Albiero noted from his perch atop the tree. “The power the Star Crystal thief is capable of is nothing to sneeze at.” He turned to the few others still there that night. “I think it's a trap for dear old Negi, by the looks of things. We should take care of it.”
“Geez... it's been ages since I've actually been able to suit up,” Behoimi murmured.
“Is it okay to leave Connor by himself? Howell and Rakan aren't around,” Media asked pleasantly.
“He'll need faith in himself,” Al responded with a wry smile. “It's as much of a test for him as it is for Negi.” He swirled and leapt off into the forest.
“Now!” Behoimi's demeanor suddenly changed, from the sullen and sarcastic girl we have seen so far into something else. “It's time I got back in business! HENSHIN A GO-GO BABY!” And thusly, we are treated to a long animation sequence which cannot be shown, because this is a story and not an anime.
Just as she finished, changing from boring school clothes into a hot pink sailor suit and boots, Media immediately swept her off her feet. “H-hey! What are you doing?!”
“We have to get going~” Media cheerily supplied as she leapt off the roof.
“Hold it! I can do that myself!” Magical Girl Behoimi-chan protested. “Let me goooo!”
xxx
The moon stood high, glaring down a half-closed eye upon the unsettling forest. The air was merely cool, but due to the nervousness of Negi and his small band, it may as well have been below freezing.
Negi had picked a small team, consisting of Akira, Asuna, Himeko, Miyako, and Nodoka. Miyako already had her armor card activated, and Akira had none at all, opting to save her strength for when the team needed it. Everyone else was in cosplay form.
“I don't like the looks of this...” Miyako looked about wearily.
“It is quite scary,” Akira added. “But I'm worried about the others back at the dorm.”
“I think they'll be fine. Konoka-san, Setsuna-san and Connor-san are there after all,” Nodoka reassured her classmates.
Negi clutched his staff tightly, with it still a beacon in sensing out the unusual darkness. Chamo, also highly alert, kept his eyes peeled. “Be on your guard,” the ermine whispered. Negi merely nodded.
The girls stopped as Negi suddenly dropped into a focused fighting stance, his staff pointed towards something. The girls, while curious as to what had Negi's attention, dared not interrupt his concentration. There was nothing but silence for a few moments.
A shape of darkness shot towards them! Negi expertly twirled about and smashed his staff into the shape, his staff glowing with light. “TEL MA AMORIS!” Light shined, and the darkness dissipated into nothingness.
The girls couldn't help but clap. “Not bad, Negi,” Asuna grinned.
“Negi-sensei...” Nodoka was of course, lovestruck.
Negi simply giggled abashedly.
The celebration, however, was stopped short when Chamo popped up, his panic immediate. “GIRLS!”
“What?” The girls blinked.
“WATCH OU—” But the warning came too late.
In the blink of an eye, Himeko simply disappeared. A second later, Negi saw she had been slammed into a tree trunk, completely unconscious.
“Himeko-san!” Negi cried out in alarm. His eyes barely caught some hulking shape scuttling into the woods.
“Dammit! How the hell did that happen?!” Miyako's voice was strained with panic. She looked over to Himeko's unconscious form—oh wait she's not there! “WHAT?!”
“The hell is going on here?!” Asuna screeched.
“Negi-sensei, we need to move,” Akira advised quickly. “Now.”
The boy didn't need to be told twice. The now five strong group sprinted into the forest, desperate to find some lead on the darkness that they saw. The mounting panic was not helping them out in the least.
In the corner of Negi's eye, a shape of darkness began to fade into view. “Everyone, watch out!” He shouted. He aimed his staff to smite the vague and nightmarish shape, but Miyako was faster on the draw.
“I got this... PK FIRE!” Miyako swept her hand forward, and a small bolt of lightning shot forward, blasting into the shape and setting it on fire. It too, ceased to exist.
That didn't stop the other shape Miyako saw. It too, appearing to lumber on all fours, was running evenly with them. Miyako's panic increased as whatever the hell it was raised a claw, attempting to swipe the unknowing Nodoka.
“Nodoka!” Miyako felt her call for attention was too late—she dived forward, pushing Nodoka out the way.
“Wha—?!” Nodoka tripped, apparently evading a claw aimed for her body. To her horror, she saw Miyako being swept away instead. The girl screamed, catching the others' attention.
“Miyako-san too?!” Negi's eyes were wide.
“Big bro! This thing is trying to take us out one by one!” Chamo pointed out in alarming fashion.
Negi, rather than panic more, actually sobered up, his face sullen. “This was an obvious trap... What I thought would be one source of darkness turned out to be even more lethal than I expected... and now my students are—!”
-SMACK-
“Third time I've had to do this today!” Asuna complained as Negi rubbed his head from the pain. “Keep it together! We'll send this thing packing!”
“Could we not beat up Negi-sensei, please?” Akira asked, giving a nervous smile to Asuna. “Even if he does need to keep it together...”
“Umm...” Nodoka reached in the conversation, despite her shyness. “If I can track the thoughts of this thing, maybe it can't surprise us anymore?”
“That's a great idea, miss!” Chamo cheered. “It's not guaranteed to work but it's the best thing we can try. Go on, see if you can find it!”
“No it's not!” Asuna objected. “How the hell can you read the thoughts of somebody without first knowing about them or at least seeing them?”
Nodoka adjusted those cute glasses (which had miraculously survived her running around without being skewed, something an original character could never get away with) and opened her book. “I can't know until I try...” Nothing appeared just yet. However, suddenly, thoughts appeared. “This place is quite scary, but I bet if there was a pool somewhere, I could have the advantage!” Nodoka read out loud.
A moment passed.
“Akira-san!” Nodoka complained.
“I'm sorry,” Akira murmured, abashedly rubbing her neck.
Nodoka simply sighed and turned the page, she concentrated again. Thoughts appeared once more. She read them out loud. “This is completely crazy! This is a fine time to not be wearing any—”
INSTANT HEADLOCK! Asuna didn't bother letting Nodoka complete that sentence. “I told you it wouldn't work!”
“I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!” Nodoka cried, with Asuna threatening to suffocate her. Somehow, through Asuna's death grip, she turned the page to a fresh slot. After a moment, more thoughts appeared. Nodoka didn't read them this time. Rather, everyone else peered at it, for it said something quite different.
“Get them out of the way. Won't kill them! Get them out of the way. Won't kill them!”
Negi saw that it had repeated for some time. “What...?”
But before he could react any further, he noticed that a claw had settled on Nodoka. “Nodoka-san—!”
“Huh?” The girl blinked. The elastic claw pulled her upwards and slung her sky high, with the girl screaming all the way.
“NODOKA-SAN!” Negi screamed. Without hesitation, he mounted his staff and shot straight up, trying to chase and rescue the girl from a nasty fall. Only Asuna and Akira were left to deal with the nasty creature that suddenly tried to swipe at them.
“Ah!” Akira cried, bursting out of harm's way with a water blast.
Asuna didn't think twice. She scrambled backwards as the hulking creature gave chase. Asuna turned tail and ran at full force, with Akira just behind her.
Bad news, girls: no running away for you!
All of a sudden, they simply saw a massive tree land right in front of them, branches first. They screeched to a halt, stepping wearily backwards as said tree slowly fell to the ground with a thud. No place left to run, they assumed a fighting stance.
The creature, now visible before them, howled like a wolf, its dull green eyes locked onto them. Fear gripped them, not letting them make a move as the creature eventually crouched on all fours. So it was a bit of a shock when the creature suddenly spoke, “Dammit! I screwed up!”
“WAH!” Asuna screeched, her eyes wide open, pointing at the hulking beast before them. “It's a WERE-CHUPACABRA!”
“I'm not a were-chupacabra!” The creature bellowed. “I'm a werehog! WERE. HOG.”
“No wait...” Akira recognized that visage. The blue fur, the spines on his back... “Sonic-san? What happened to you? And why have you been assaulting our friends?” Randomly, something else occurred to her thoughts. “And technically, you aren't a werehog, since no part of you is human. Aren't you a wolfhog?”
“Same difference!” Sonic the Werehog snapped. “I'm just not a chupacabra!”
“I don't care... chupacabra or were-chupacabra, I'm kicking your ass tonight,” Asuna assumed a fighting stance. “I don't care if you're not a real bad guy, you don't go smacking around people's friends!”
“Umm, could we... not fight?” Akira offered. “There's obviously a growing misunderstanding going on here.”
“No can do!” Sonic the Werehog muttered. “You missed that weird door, didn't ya?” Akira shot a glance to her left, and sure enough, there was that obnoxious boss door again. No doubt a prank played by the darkness. “We gotta fight until someone falls and that random orange thingy spawns!”
“Fine by me!” Asuna thumped her chest. “I'll be capturing a Chupacabra tonight!”
“I hate you so much right now!” Sonic retorted, his riposte segueing into a powerful roar.
Things were going to get ugly.
-X-X-X-
OMAKE!
A common creed. The one the seven of them always lived by.
“It is the sworn duty of the Student Mage Council to ensure the safety of the schools and their students when regular means are impossible...”
A tiny girl, wandering about the muddy outlet, easily but accidentally slid past the massive police tape, ignoring the sign that screeched, “DANGER! 18-WHEELER CONVENTION IN PROGRESS!”
“...to protect people from the shadows. To never seek reward for their actions...”
Back then, that strange girl could only watch in the closest thing she had for horror, which was a face etched in concern and sadness.
“...and to always do their best...”
The little child saw herself between two giant trucks, on a collision course with each other—and her. She could not comprehend her fate. Which is just as well, since someone had something to say about that.
“...without the slightest regard for their own life or personal happiness.” So said the boy with the key, the original lightened one, etc. etc. Amen. He passed that creed to one Albiero Imma, before he literally left this world. In the boy's honor, the mysterious teenage youth adopted that creed, and all seven of the Student Mage Council lived strongly by those words.
With effort impossible to normal humans, a form easily twirled between the machines, stopping them from crashing into each other and the little girl underneath by simply blocking with one hand and the opposite foot. And so the day... is SAVED! Thanks to—
The awkward white-haired boy and the strange girl traded looks. Finally, the girl spoke. “You saved my little sister from two intersecting 18-wheelers. Rock on. To repay you, I will grant you three wishes.”
Okay!” The awkward white-haired boy crowed. “Then I wish that an asteroid shower would knock the earth off orbit and hurtling into Mars!”
Shazam! Ask and ye shall receive.” The strange girl said, having no qualms with dooming the earth.
Pleased with this, the white-haired youth then calmly said, “Welp! Looks like I have to erase your memories now. Your pet's, too.”
“But I'm a mage, too,” The strange girl pleaded. “And that's my sister.”
“Oh, I'm sorry,” The boy said. “Thought you were just a normal student.”
“What kind of normal student would offer you three wishes?”
“I have to go now. See you~” The boy began to leave, but that was stopped short.
“HOWELL!” Somebody called.
“Oh hay Connor!” This white-haired boy greeted the bandanna'd youth, and they began talking rapidly about many subjects in the magic world, including insane fairy attacks and old Gensokyo lore.
“Oh now I see,” The girl said. “There is a large community of magic users, sorcerers, and wizards and the like that help people from behind the scenes but largely stay out of the public eye.”
“But I thought you said you were a mage?” The man known as Howell asked. Connor looked quite mortified.
The girl softly looked from left to right. Finally, she spoke up. “December fools.”
Howell laughed hard.
“THAT'S NOT FUNNY!” Connor shouted, by now in a panic. “Erase her memories! Quick!”
“Nah... I don't feel like it,” Howell suddenly lost interest.
This was the beginning of the tale of how Ichijou met her current master.
-X-X-
NEXT TIME: “The Werehog Revealed!” by Akira
(Hey guys, happy holidays! If I'm fast you'll see the next update Saturday. If not, don't blame me. Tune in next time to point and laugh at Sonic's horrible luck stat!)