Pani Poni Dash! Fan Fiction / Mai-HiME Fan Fiction / Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Vegrandis Magister Ferociter ❯ 04 - Enemies of the Past ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The soldiers had dragged the furiously struggling Rebecca into a gymnasium.
 
They had not bothered to tie her up or anything. They probably figured that a small child like her would be not able to escape, especially when there were soldiers surrounding her and keeping watch on her.
 
Rebecca felt both angry and scared at the new turn of events. Anger at her own capture and fear for the unknown motives of her capture. Currently, anger came first.
 
The soldiers were all staring at her emotionlessly, their dark visor obscuring their eyes. One of them motioned to a single chair before him, evidently commanding Rebecca to get seated.
 
Rebecca stubbornly refused, giving the chair a good kick. The chair slide away in another direction. Rebecca had decided to remain defiant and refuse everything. These people had no right to drag her away from her room. So she stood in the centre, arms akimbo and a furious glare on her face, tapping her foot on the ground in an inconsistent rhythm just to annoy her captors.
 
The soldiers shrugged in apathy and continued keeping watch on her. But her tactics seemed to be working since the soldiers were starting to fidget out of boredom.
 
A new figure had appeared at the entrance of the hall, accompanied by a couple of the soldiers. He struck a regal form as he walked towards her with all the confidence in the world. He was a foreigner, a badly combed hairdo, a sharp nose with thin-rimmed glasses mounted on it. His eyes were small, slanted like that of an eagle that has sighted its prey.
 
He must be the commander of the soldiers since they all quickly made a path for him. The man approached Rebecca and stood before her. A smug smirk appeared on his face. Rebecca glared at him.
 
“Feeling defiant, Ms. Rebecca Miyamoto?” The man said with a snide tone.
 
Rebecca knew she disliked this man immediately, she disliked his looks, she disliked the mocking tone in his voice, most of all she disliked how he was looking at her like a prize. She resisted stomping on his inviting toes for now. She still needed to find out more first.
 
She turned up the intensity of her glare.
 
As the soldiers tried to avoid her look by looking away, the man was unperturbed. He remained calm, looking at Rebecca straight into her face.
 
“Sorry for the lack of hospitality. My name is John Smith, head of intelligence of SEARRS. You must be wondering why we have you here,” he said, not missing a beat despite Rebecca's foot tapping.
 
“Lower-life form,” Rebecca said.
 
“Have you ever wondered about genius?” John Smith continued, taking the insult in his stride, “Is it a product of hard work? Is it a talent? Or could it be a gift from a higher being?”
 
“Scarecrow,” Rebecca said, fully intent to continue insulting him.
 
“For some, more specifically you, it is precisely so,” Smith made his point, “You know about the recently unearthed prophecy?”
 
“Bloody Bastard” was Rebecca's answer.
 
“No, no, no. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never do so,” Smith said, unbothered, “According to legend, seven Apostles will descend to Earth, blessing all with hope, BUT” he emphasized, “this is reality.”
 
“Foreign Devil,” Rebecca replied.
 
“These Apostles do exist but of course, they do not conjure miracles here and there,” Smith said with a pause for thought, “though magic comes close. Instead they are blessed with Genius from God, to help mankind, to aid the world, to ease the transition to the new age.”
 
Rebecca was listening of course, but she was not impressed. “Simple minded criminal,” she added.
 
“For example, an apostle skilled in the field of robotics would be able to bring the overall robotics technology we currently have to new heights….” Smith did not stop, “You might have noticed the increased fantastic activities in the recent ages. We at SEARRS know the truth.”
 
Rebecca paused for a while. Her insults did not seem to be working. She would have to get personal.
 
“We know of demons that can manipulate the power of existence, we know of the presence of highly advanced robotics in a certain town of Japan, we know of mages such as your friend, Mr. Negi Springfield.”
 
Rebecca was surprised to hear of Negi being mentioned. Did this foul man just said Negi was a mage?
 
“The new age is coming, Ms. Miyamoto. An age of wonders; an age of fantasies. Coming back to the apostles… what if we bring these seven apostles under a single leadership, that person, or for us, this organization will be able to control these advancements of mankind. We could make this new age, the Golden Millennium of the SEARRS,” his eyes widened in glee. But he did not laugh maniacally like others would. He was cool, calm, collected, and that was scarier.
 
Rebecca decided to try insulting his looks. “What an ugly nose. You look like a witch, you should go for a nose job,” she said.
 
She sighted a twitch in Smith's eyebrow. That worked.
 
“And you, Ms. Miyamoto,” Smith said between gritted teeth, “are an Apostle. We have been observing you for quite some time already and very positive about it. You and the rest, once we located them, would be necessary for our plans.”
 
Rebecca tried harder, “You're balding.”
 
Smith's face turned a strange shade of red. She quickly suppressed a laugh.
 
“You think you are winning, Ms. Miyamoto,” Smith snared, “I beg to differ.”
 
Rebeccca replied, “Your Frankenstein hairdo did not help.”
 
A couple of soldiers were now trembling, probably giggling. Smith cast a sharp, furious look at them.
 
“You insolent child,” Smith growled, “If not for the fact that we need you alive and willing…”
 
Rebecca decided that now would be the best time to do it for maximum impact. She brought her foot on his toes in a well-targeted stomp.
 
Smith howled in pain and anger as he bent down. Rebecca considered kicking him in the groin but decided not to push her luck too far. The soldiers were still around, escape was not possible. She whistled innocently as she looked around her.
 
“Guards! Keep her in her place!” Smith raged, “I will force you to obey,” he glared at Rebecca before he quickly limped away while feeling his hair with his other free hand.
 
Rebecca was back to square one, surrounded by intimidating soldiers at all sides. At least she learnt more about their plan. They claimed that she was part of that ancient prophecy but she was unconvinced. What interested her more, was that Smith had called Negi a mage. If that was true, that could explain how he managed to break the lock back then.
 
Then, there was her present situation. She began to worry for herself; she just realized that just because they need her alive did not mean they could not do other things to her. The threat of John Smith still hung in the air. A couple of the soldiers were already pointing to her, leering at her with an ugly grin. She could feel her brave front crumbling.
 
Rebecca was not a religious person but she begun to pray silently for help. Any help. Just get her away from this place immediately.
 
At the corner of the eye, she spied someone sneaking around at the outside of the building. Someone in gym clothing.
 
It seemed that Saotome was on his way to check on Rebecca. On seeing her capture, he had managed to follow the captors to the hall and was now observing the situation from the window outside.
 
He had noticed that Rebecca had seen him. He made frantic hand signals to her.
 
Rebecca was never more glad to see him. She may not be the easiest of colleagues to get along with, but Saotome had stuck with her through thick and thin. She could feel the tears of gratitude swelling in her eyes.
 
Saotome made even more frantic hand signals. He was repeatedly pointing towards the exit with a quick, forward action. It seemed that he wanted her to run for it.
 
Before she knew it, Saotome threw a gym rope down from the window and came swinging down with a bokuto in his hands. Such an action could not be ignored. The soldiers present started to move towards Saotome who was swinging the bamboo sword around him. He managed to take down one soldier.
 
Rebecca understood what he meant. With the soldiers distracted by Saotome's surprise entrance, she ran for the entrance as fast as she could.
 
She could hear shouts and sounds of struggle behind her. Then, shouts of “The brat's escaping!”
 
She ducked to avoid the arms of a soldier and made it out of the gymnasium. An entire field lay before her.
 
She continued to run with no destination in mind. More and more soldiers were behind her heels. There was no way Saotome could have won anyway, he was vastly outnumbered.
 
The soldiers were getting closer. Rebecca felt her little body get exhausted.
 
There was no way she would just agree to be captured again. Saotome's sacrifice must not be in vain.
 
She felt herself slowing down. Cursing her past disdain for physical education, Rebecca tried to spur herself to go faster. The soldiers were drawing even closer.
 
She could feel those swelling tears just now coming out. A soldier had almost managed to grab her ponytail.
 
Out of desperation and fear, she heard herself scream.
 
“NEGI!”
 
There was an explosion behind her. Everyone in the chase stopped to look. A couple of soldiers had been flung back due to an explosive force.
 
Like a miracle, Negi descended from the sky, sitting on a long, wooden staff. A couple of energy balls hovered around him like fireflies.
 
He landed before Rebecca and held the staff before him, positioning himself between her and the advancing soldiers.
 
“Becky, are you okay? Did they harm you?” he asked as he kept a vigilant eye on the soldiers. The soldiers had the sense to start to surround them.
 
Rebecca cowered behind Negi and shook her head. “Not yet,” she whispered in fear.
 
Negi looked worried. He drew his hand back, like he was ready to cast another spell.
 
“How much do you weigh?” he asked Rebecca.
 
Before Rebecca could answer, Negi said, “Never mind, I got a rough idea anyway. After I cast my spell, hold on tightly to me, we're flying off.”
 
He was about to start the enchantment when the rumbling sound of engines could be heard coming from a distance.
 
All heads turned to the direction of the sound.
 
A rover was approaching them at full speed. A red-head was at the driver's seat. It was the teacher who insisted on being seventeen, Midori.
 
When it became apparent that the rover was heading towards them, the soldiers started to scatter in panic to avoid the crazy driver.
 
The rover screamed to a halt before them.
 
“Get on!” Midori ordered to the surprised children.
 
The soldiers were re-grouping fast. Some of them had begun to take out their handguns. While they were under orders to keep Rebecca alive, they had no qualms about killing Midori.
 
They quickly scampered onto the rover. “Go! Gakutenou!”, she shouted as she started the engines again.
 
“Force of habit,” she added sheepishly at the surprised look of the children.
 
The rover sped away from the place into the deep forest, gunshots could be heard but luckily none of the shots hit.
 
Now in the safety of the rover, the impact of the events finally caught up with her. Rebecca sat down, drawing her knees to her chest. She had a stunned look on her face.
 
Igarashi would still be outside the academy so she might be safe. But Saotome could be….
 
Rebecca dared not think of the possibilities.
 
Negi placed the robe he was wearing on her shoulders. She clutched the robe and pulled it closer to her body, hoping for some comfort.
 
She then felt Negi's hand on her shoulder and the gentle pull. Her head leaned onto his shoulders.
 
“Don't worry, I'll protect you,” Negi said softly as he continued to keep watch of the passing scenery from the rover.
 
Rebecca finally let go of the tears of fear she had held back.
 
A small hand was placed on her knees. She looked over.
 
It was Mesousa. The rabbit was still trembling but he tried to maintain a straight voice, “Are…are…you ok…okay?”
 
She gave a small smile and said, “Hello, Mesousa. Nice to see you are back.”
 
Somehow, they managed to lose the soldiers. Midori stopped the vehicle and signaled for them to alight.
 
“It would be too noisy to drive now, we will be walking to our destination from here,” Midori told them, pointing her scrubber in the direction they were going.
 
So everyone followed her with no idea where they were going. A single ball of light, conjured by Negi floated before them as they walked under the cover of the dark forest.
 
At last, Midori stopped. The destination was at sight.
 
They were going to the church.
 
Midori looked around for any hostile soldiers. Apparently since the church was so far away from the academy itself, the soldiers had yet to start searching there. They should be able to stop here for the night to plan their next move.
 
Midori signaled the rest to follow her. They approached the church quickly.
 
Then Midori pushed the door of the church open carefully.
 
A candle stand came flying towards her. Midori expertly blocked it with her scrubber.
 
Sister Nao was the assaulter. On seeing that it was only Midori, she gave a sign of relief and said, “Stop scaring us, Midori. The tension was already high enough. Come on in.”
 
Midori entered the church followed closely by Rebecca, Negi and Mesousa.
 
The church was in total darkness, the only light was that from the moon. Sister Miyu and Alyssa were seated calmly before the altar.
 
Once everyone was in, Sister Nao closed the door lightly and proceeded to bar it. Having completed her task, she took off her headdress and flung it away, revealing her long, red hair. She then walked towards the gathered group.
 
Rebecca and Negi sat on a bench of the church as Alyssa approached them and sat on the back of the bench before them, facing them.
 
Midori was talking to Sister Miyu and Sister Nao regarding an attack on the executive committee. Apparently a single old man managed to take everyone except herself out. She had only just barely escaped.
 
Sister Miyu sat emotionlessly, nodding at Midori's words while Sister Nao was fidgeting uncomfortably.
 
“At times like this, I wish we still had the Hime power,” Sister Nao said as she anxiously clenched and unclenched her fingers, “Ironic isn't it, you,” she referred to Sister Miyu, “and the little devil over there were the ones leading the SEARRS the last time; now she is the one being hunted by them.”
 
“This is your 2054th reminder…” Sister Miyu said.
 
“Knock it off, you two,” Midori broke them up.
 
“We would have to keep watch. It is only a matter of time before SEARRS arrived here, especially now that we have all three of their targets here,” Midori said. They looked to where Rebecca and the rest were sitting together.
 
The children sat in silence, contemplating what had and would happen.
 
Midori waved the two sisters away to give the children some privacy.
 
Rebecca finally spoke. Her fears had given way to a form of determination and anger, quite similar to how she felt after the incident with Negi at the cruise.
 
She wanted payback.
 
“Negi, Alyssa, you two know something I don't. Tell me what am I and what is happening.”
 
Alyssa looked to Negi as if she was looking for approval.
 
Negi signed and nodded.
 
“Miyamoto-san,” Alyssa said, “Please recall what I said in the cave this afternoon.”
 
Alyssa told her about the truth, of the prophecy, of the destiny, of SEARRS,
 
that they were three out of seven of the apostles.
 
Negi continued by telling her about the presence of magic in the world, that he was a mage.
 
When they ended the story, silence fell once again within the group.
 
“Becky,” Negi asked with concern, “Are you fine? It is okay if you are scared or angry.”
 
“So how can I fight back?” Rebecca asked.
 
Alyssa shrugged, she had no idea. She herself was probably helpless herself, relying on the two sisters to protect her.
 
“Well… there might be a way…” Negi started to say, “I can transfer part of my magic powers or mana into you to enhance your natural abilities and give you a weapon of sorts…”
 
Rebecca was interested; she was determined not to be a passive maiden of distress anymore.
 
“Fine,” she said, “How do you do it?”
 
At her comments, Negi started to blush from his head to toes.
 
There must be a catch somehow.
 
Then Mesousa who had been conveniently forgotten till now, whispered.
 
“Pactio”
 
 
~ End Chapter Three Point Five ~
 
 
“BECKY!” Negi shouted as he exited the room.
 
All the while, the same words were going through his brains, `Becky is missing, she is in danger.'
 
“BECKY!” There was no response, not a single shout of anger or anything. The hostel was eerily quiet.
 
Negi went to the door beside Becky's room and knocked furiously. He could hear voices from inside but not one answered.
 
He tried the door, the door was locked.
 
He knocked again, this time with a lot more urgency in it.
 
“Go away! We do not have who you want!” Someone from inside shouted.
 
“What happened to the girl next door?” Negi shouted.
 
“Taken away by you bastards! Now, just leave us alone!” the shout replied.
 
Negi decided it was no use following up with the neighbours. He had best do the searching himself.
 
He went back into Becky's room and picked up the telephone.
 
There was still no dial tone. All communication links had been cut off.
 
Opening the window of the room, Negi sat onto his staff and took to the sky. Perhaps he would be able to see the bigger picture from up high.
 
He saw armored vehicles overrun the garden with personnel in black military uniform everywhere. They must be the ones that Alyssa was warning him about, and they had most likely taken Becky.
 
Negi felt anger swell in him but resisted the urge to cast a lightning spell on them immediately. He needed them to lead him to Becky.
 
He flew in the general direction where the stream of soldiers was heading.
 
They lead him to a large building which Negi knew was the gymnasium. At the same time, a man with blond hair was limping furiously out of the building. He was shouting to the soldiers, pointing in other directions. He must have been the leader.
 
As the man limped away to the command vehicle in the garden, Negi could see another man dressed in gym clothing, making some hand signals outside the window of the gym.
 
It was Saotome.
 
Before Negi knew it, Saotome leaped into the gym.
 
Sounds of struggle and shouts could be heard from the gym. Before long, a single young girl with pinkish-blond hair ran frantically out of the building, closely followed by soldiers.
 
`Becky!' Negi's mind registered. She was in danger.
 
Negi directed his staff towards the ground and accelerated his descend towards Becky.
 
The soldiers were closing in, one of them almost grabbed her ponytail.
 
Negi raised a free hand. “Sagitta Magica Septendecim Sagittae Lucis!”
 
Several bolts of energy ball went flying towards the group of soldiers behind Becky. The force of the resulting explosion blew some of the soldiers away.
 
Everyone stopped to look behind.
 
Negi took the chance to land before the stunned Becky. He held the staff before him in a protective stance, positioning himself between Becky and the recovering soldiers.
 
He kept a look out for the soldiers; they had started to surround them.
 
“Becky, are you okay? Did they harm you?” he asked.
 
“Not yet,” he heard her whisper with fear.
 
The situation was worrying, the soldiers had them surrounded and were closing in. The only way to escape was up, by flying. He would have to cast a spell first to deter the soldiers for a while. He drew his hand back.
 
“How much do you weigh?” Negi asked Becky.
 
Then he remembered that he had carried her before, she was quite light.
 
“Never mind, I got a rough idea anyway,” he answered himself before Becky did.
 
“After I cast my spell, hold on tightly to me, we're flying off,” he instructed as he prepare to cast the spell.
 
Just then, the rumbling sound of engines could be heard approaching them, at a very fast speed.
 
Everyone turned towards the direction of the sound.
 
A rover driven by a red-head was approaching them fast. Negi could tell that she was the teacher who insisted on being seventeen, Midori.
 
It became apparent that the rover was heading towards them. The soldiers started to scatter in panic to avoid the crazy driver.
 
The rover screamed to a halt before them.
 
“Get on!” Midori ordered to the surprised children.
 
The soldiers were re-grouping fast. Some of them had begun to take out their handguns.
 
They quickly scampered onto the rover. “Go! Gakutenou!”, she shouted as she started the engines again.
 
“Force of habit,” she added sheepishly at the surprised look of the children.
 
The rover sped away from the place into the deep forest, gunshots could be heard but luckily none of the shots hit.
 
In the safety of the rover, Negi looked as Becky curled up to herself, looking into nowhere with a stunned look on her face.
 
He took off his robe and placed it on her shoulders.
 
She clutched the robe and pulled it closer to herself.
 
Negi instinctively placed a hand on her shoulder and gently brought her closer to him. Her head leaned onto his shoulders.
 
“Don't worry,” he said softly, “I'll protect you.”
 
He continued to keep watch on the scenery speeding past them. He wondered where Midori was bringing them.
 
Becky finally cried. Negi did not say anything; it was just not the time.
 
He then noticed the presence of Mesousa in the vehicle, placing a trembling hand on Becky's knees.
 
“Are…are…you ok…okay?” he asked.
 
She gave a small smile and said, “Hello, Mesousa. Nice to see you are back.”
 
Turns out Mesousa had belonged to Becky in the first place.
 
Somehow, they managed to lose the soldiers. Midori stopped the vehicle and signaled for them to alight.
 
“It would be too noisy to drive now, we will be walking to our destination from here,” Midori told them, pointing her scrubber in the direction they were going.
 
The children followed her with no idea where they were going. Negi conjured a single ball of light to hover before them, giving them a little light to illuminate their way as they trekked under the cover of the dark forest.
 
At last, Midori stopped. The destination was at sight.
 
They were going to the church.
 
Midori looked around for any hostile soldiers. Apparently since the church was so far away from the academy itself, the soldiers had yet to start searching there. They should be able to stop here for the night to plan their next move.
 
Midori signaled the rest to follow her. They approached the church quickly.
 
Then Midori pushed the door of the church open carefully.
 
A candle stand came flying towards her. Midori expertly blocked it with her scrubber.
 
Sister Nao was the assaulter. On seeing that it was only Midori, she gave a sign of relief and said, “Stop scaring us, Midori. The tension was already high enough. Come on in.”
 
Midori entered the church followed closely by everyone else.
 
The church was in total darkness, the only light was that from the moon. Sister Miyu and Alyssa were seated calmly before the altar.
 
Once everyone was in, Sister Nao closed the door lightly and proceeded to bar it. Having completed her task, she took off her headdress and flung it away, revealing her long, red hair. She then walked towards the gathered group.
 
Becky and Negi sat on a bench of the church as Alyssa approached them and sat on the back of the bench before them, facing them.
 
None of them said anything. Each one of them contemplating the situation they were in.
 
Midori was talking to Sister Miyu and Sister Nao regarding an attack on the executive committee. Apparently a single old man managed to take everyone except herself out. She had only just barely escaped.
 
Sister Miyu sat emotionlessly, nodding at Midori's words while Sister Nao was fidgeting uncomfortably.
 
“At times like this, I wish we still had the Hime power,” Sister Nao said as she anxiously clenched and unclenched her fingers, “Ironic isn't it, you,” she referred to Sister Miyu, “and the little devil over there were the ones leading the SEARRS the last time; now she is the one being hunted by them.”
 
“This is your 2054th reminder…” Sister Miyu said.
 
“Knock it off, you two,” Midori broke them up.
 
“We would have to keep watch. It is only a matter of time before SEARRS arrived here, especially now that we have all three of their targets here,” Midori said. They looked to where Rebecca and the rest were sitting together.
 
Midori then waved the two sisters away to give the children some privacy.
 
After a long period of silence, Becky finally spoke. There was a tint of determination and anger in her voice. It seemed that she had cried all her fears away already.
 
“Negi, Alyssa, you two know something I don't. Tell me what am I and what is happening.”
 
Alyssa looked to Negi as if she was looking for approval.
 
Negi signed and nodded. His original intention was to keep her out of his world of danger. But at this point of time, there was no point in hiding the truth from her anymore.
 
“Miyamoto-san,” Alyssa said, “Please recall what I said in the cave this afternoon.”
 
Alyssa told her about the truth, of the prophecy, of the destiny, of SEARRS,
 
that they were three out of seven of the apostles.
 
Negi continued by telling her about the presence of magic in the world, that he was a mage. There was something liberating about telling her everything.
 
When they ended the story, silence fell once again within the group.
 
“Becky,” Negi asked with concern, “Are you fine? It is okay if you are scared or angry.”
 
“So how can I fight back?” she asked.
 
Alyssa shrugged. Negi suspected that she knew more than she was letting, he could sense the presence of a powerful aura around Alyssa.
 
“Well… there might be a way…” Negi started to say as he recalled about the Pactio system he utilized so many times back in Mahora, “I can transfer part of my magic powers or mana into you to enhance your natural abilities and give you a weapon of sorts…”
 
There was an interested look on Becky's face.
 
“Fine,” she said, “How do you do it?”
 
Negi thought of the method he knew. To form the temporary contract, he needed Chamo to perform the ceremony and he would have to kiss Becky lips to lips.
 
Negi started to blush from his head to toes, he wondered if Becky would be willing to do so.
 
Then Mesousa who had been conveniently forgotten till now, whispered.
 
“Pactio”
 
Negi looked to Mesousa in surprise. Could the rabbit actually know how to perform the ceremony?
 
He listened on as Mesousa explained the Pactio system to Becky and Alyssa. About the temporary contract and how it was worked. About how the ceremony was done and about the kiss necessary to seal the contract.
 
When he finished, Becky was also red with embarrassment.
 
Negi ventured a question, “Mesousa, do you know how to perform the ceremony?”
 
Mesousa nodded his head. That solved one of the problems.
 
He looked to the other two girls. Becky was shuffling her feet as she looked down. Alyssa gave a straight look to Negi.
 
“I don't need it,” she said, “I got my ways.” as she look to Sister Miyu.
 
That left Becky. Negi looked to her once more.
 
“Uhm… I… don't mind…” she stammered, still looking down.
 
She raised her head and looked directly at Negi with a shy look on her face.
 
The both of them looked at each other with reddening faces.
 
Negi tried to say something but at that moment, noises could be heard from outside.
 
The door was being rammed.
 
They were discovered.
 
 
~ End Chapter Three Point Nine ~
 
 
Mesousa tried to recall the procedures for the Pactio Ceremony. He had never actually done it before but he had remembered studying about it long ago.
 
“We're discovered!” Midori was shouting as she grabbed her weapon of choice, the scrubber, “Nao! Miyu! Get ready!”
 
Sister Nao had taken up the candle stand again. Mesousa shivered at the memory.
 
No. No. No. It was not time for self-pity. He stood in front of the altar and tried to visualize the magical circle on the ground. Moonlight shone onto him. He would be a savior, the deciding factor…
 
He then held the chalk up to draw the circle.
 
The chalk slipped from his hands and fell to the floor. “Wa…” Mesousa whined.
 
Negi stepped forward to protect the two girls and Mesousa, his staff ready to fight the intruders.
 
Mesousa tried to pick up the chalk. It slipped again and broke into two as it hit the floor.
 
It is hopeless. Hopeless… Mesousa thought. Despair caught him as he sobbed.
 
The ramming of the door became harder and more persistant. It was only a matter of time before the soldiers got through.
 
Alyssa picked up the chalk from the floor and looked to Mesousa. “Trace out the circle,” She ordered, “I'll draw it for you.”
 
Mesousa looked at her. The moonlight was shining its gentle light on her. She would always be his savior and he always in her debt.
 
He hurriedly started to move his hand on the floor. Alyssa followed his movement on the floor with the chalk.
 
The door gave way. Mesousa heard Negi shout “Sagitta Magica Septendecim Sagittae Lucis!”
 
The soldiers in the front were forced back by the exploding force of the magical energy balls.
 
The circle was half complete. Mesousa was trying his best to speed up but his hands refuse to stop trembling.
 
“Calm down,” Alyssa said, “I'm trying to keep up.” Mesousa slowed down to allow the girl to keep pace.
 
A couple of hapless soldiers barged into the church.
 
Midori wielded her scrubber expertly like a battle axe. The soldiers never knew what hit them.
 
The circle was almost complete. Alyssa was drawing the last symbol in the circle.
 
More soldiers were coming in. One of them managed to slip past the distracted Negi and almost managed to grab Alyssa. Sister Nao saw to him with a candle stand to his head.
 
The soldier would be waking up to a splitting headache.
 
Sister Miyu had joined the fray. She was going through the bulk of the soldiers like a tornado, at a speed so fast Mesousa could not see her weapon.
 
Alyssa finished tracing the circle. The circle had started to glow.
 
An old man in a trench coat now stood at the doorway, looking in with a disapproving look. Negi had a shocked look when he saw him.
 
It was the demon who attacked the student executives. Mesousa mentally said his last prayers.
 
“Count Herrman…” Negi murmured. Looked like Negi knew him.
 
The soldiers were now retreating en-masse, carrying their injured and unconscious with them. They did not want to be in the same place as him. Mesousa wished he could join them.
 
Mesousa quickly instructed Alyssa on the words of the Master of Ceremony. His nerves were near its end, he feared he would be too scared to say anything later.
 
Sister Miyu dashed towards the intimidating figure. Mesousa could now see that at where her left arm should be, there was now a saber.
 
The Count side-stepped her attack and got her from behind with a powerful punch. She was sent flying towards a wall.
 
Alyssa shouted to Rebecca and Negi, “Now is the time! Enter the circle!”
 
Rebecca entered the circle of light.
 
Negi was unsure if he should stay to support the fight.
 
“Just do it! We can hold him up!” Midori urged him.
 
Negi ran back and entered the circle.
 
Midori and Sister Nao went forward to fight the Count, swinging their weapons at him together. The Count blocked their blunt weapons with his bare hands.
 
“Terrenus Pactum!” Alyssa said. Yellow light shone from the circle and engulfed the two children. Her part was completed for now.
 
The Count had cast his fainting spells on the two. Midori and Sister Nao slumped to the floor.
 
The two children were not doing it yet. They were blushing, hesitating. Once inside the circle, they were oblivious to the world outside the circle. Mesousa went mad with fear.
 
Alyssa stood up and faced the approaching demon. Her face was one of calmness, she had no fear.
 
Likewise, there was no haste in the demon's advance. He did not need to; he got all the time in the world.
 
Rebecca put her hands on the face of Negi. Both of them were in a strange dream-like stage.
 
Machine gun fire sounded off. Bullets ricochetted across the church.
 
Sister Miyu had recovered. Her saber was now a Gatling gun as she sprayed bullets towards the Count.
 
Mesousa ducked under a bench to avoid the stray bullets.
 
The Count lifted up an end of his coat to block the bullets. None of them hit him.
 
He pounced at Sister Miyu.
 
“Your mind spells do not work on me, I am not human…” Sister Miyu was saying as the Count took her by the throat.
 
Her gun transformed back into the saber as she fought off the Count. The Count brushed off her attacks and with a deft turn, threw Sister Miyu out of the way.
 
He then turned his attention back to the Pactio ceremony going on, specifically, he was looking most interestedly at Negi.
 
Under the moonlight, before the altar and the destruction around them, both the children in the circle took a deep breath. Negi put his arm around Rebecca and drew his face closer to her.
 
Alyssa faced the approaching Count with surreal calmness. There was no way she could fight back, Mesousa thought from under the bench as he looked with his blurry, tears-covered vision.
 
She removed the ribbon from her hair, her hair glowing brightly as energy currents gather around her. “Unleashed Artemis Mode,” she whispered.
 
Sister Miyu burst back into the scene with renewed vigor. This time, her saber was glowing with the same unnatural glow on Alyssa's hair.
 
The children's faces were centimeters apart. There was hesitation again.
 
The Count did a graceful leap to avoid Sister Miyu's slashing. Then he stayed in the air as if he had wings. No. Mesousa took a better look, he had wings.
 
Mesousa mentally screamed for the children to hurry up.
 
Then they did it.
 
The circle reacted to the completion of the ceremony and bright, yellow light flooded the church, blinding all.
 
 
~ End Chapter Four ~
 
~ To be continued ~