Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny of Angels ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Destiny of Angels
Author: Caelestis
Rating: R
Fandom: Petshop of Horrors
Warnings: The usual.
Disclaimer: Why do you think I write for free? O.o;; I DON'T OWN THEM!!! 
Author Note: I really want to thank my loyal readers (all five of you) who have continued to harass me to write… I do get distracted a lot, what with school and everything, but knowing that people actually like to read my stuff gives me something to write for I guess. I want to also thank my dear friend Betty Yao… *cringes* and yes, this is only the first of many new parts. I'd really like to remain alive, thank you. ^-^;;
 
Rae: yes, there is more
 
Amaririsu: um…. Yes, things will start to get a bit more complicated, now that I've actually sat down and started to write again. I hope you like the mystery…. Kukukuku (weird laughing)
 
Li-chan: geeze, a year already? Well, I haven't abandoned it, as you can see. You'll like the next part, I assure you
 
E-sama the Llama: I feel so unworthy of your praise! You are one of my favorite authors, and I am touched that you actually like my work! I hope it continues to meet your expectations.
 
Anna-chan: Gomen-ne! that's not my fault, it's the way ff.n uploaded it. I'm fixing it now.
 
Thank you all again for reviewing, and check back for more updates, possibly within the next week or so. Enjoy!
 
 
*************************************
 
     Leon sighed. This case was going nowhere. Four days had passes since he and the Count had visited the crime scene of Governor-to-be Whitman's apparent murder. Four days, no clues, not even a fucking trace of the body. Insert one grumpy, tired detective.
 
     “Where's the fucking coffee? Who was the last person in here, and why didn't they put on a new pot?” The blond detective snapped as he discovered the empty coffee pot in the Los Angeles Police Department's break room. The room itself was rather small, only holding one table, several chairs, and the other necessities such as a sink, a cupboard, and a coffeemaker. The floor was a beige tile, cheap enough to see if you looked at it. God forbid that the Police would get anything from the state to improve the department. “Jill…”
 
     Bags hung under Leon's eyes, implying a large amount of sleep loss, purple in color. His normally tan skin was showing a sallow color, like a banana, for lack of a better term. His hair was unwashed as was his clothes - he also smelled. Jill, the aforementioned, walked calmly into the room in response to the `Lion's' bellows. Comical really. Leon slumped down into a nearby chair as Jill went about changing the coffee filter. Passing a hand through his hair, he tipped his head back, growling in frustration.
 
     “Really, Leon. How long has it been since you took a break?” Jill responded too the tired man.
 
     “Jill, I can't take a break. Not with this case looming over me.”
 
     “'Looming'? That's a pretty big word there, sure you're okay?” She teased gently. Leon groaned in response. “Wouldn't want you to actually grow an IQ now…”
 
     “Shove it, Jill.”
 
     “Yeah, yeah. Look, Leon, nothing is going to happen if you take a break… and actually wash. If something did happen, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway if you're this tied.”
 
     “Yeah, well…” Leon trailed off, too exhausted to continue even this small argument.
 
     “Go home, Leon.” Jill smiled. “After you rest, why don't you go see that nice Count D? I'm sure he would like a box of chocolates… like the one you have in your desk?”
 
     Leon sputtered. Jill gave him a `look'. “Fine. You can take care of the paperwork for the latest search then. You can find it all on my desk.”
 
     “Okay. You worry too much. You'd better get some rest now, you hear me?”
 
     “Later.”
 
     Scrubbing his hand through his grubby hair one last time, he heaved himself out of the chair and shuffled out the door, forgetting completely about the coffee he had wanted. Jill shook her head behind him in amusement. Sometimes, you just had to admire the dedication he put into his work… even if you didn't approve of his methods.
 
 
 
     Blinking his eyes rapidly to keep them from shutting, Leon drove slowly back to his apartment. Everything was growing even blurrier as time progressed, and he was becoming really dizzy. Maybe driving hadn't been such a good idea…
 
     The rain poured from the cloudy heavens, a veil of mist that served as a buffer between the cold earth and the warm sunlit sky, preventing those living under it from feeling the blessed warmth. The wipers on Leon's windshield swished back and forth in a rhythmic motion, squeaking slightly as the rubber scraped against the glass. The air was damp, heavy, and it flowed over Leon Orcett like a blanket.
 
     With a screech, his tired skidded on the slick pavement. Leon jerked awake, not even realizing that he had been almost asleep, trying to regain control of the car. The car skidded again as it swerved through the lanes, drawing angry sounds and blowing horns from the other drivers. Leon was still half awake, and struggling to stay conscious. He finally wrestled the car to the right side of the street and managed to get it into an empty parking space. He sat there, breathing heavily in shock. What the hell had just happened? He rubbed his closed eyes, feeling a migraine threatening to develop. 
 
     “Perfect.” Dazed, Leon climbed out of his car into the deluge, completely soaked before he even took two steps. Almost as an afterthought, he turned back towards the car and locked it. As he turned back the way he had been facing, a comical expression crossed his face as he realized where he was. Instead of his apartment… Count D's petshop lay before him, as mysterious as the first day he had seen it. Leon would have scowled if he had the energy. Against his will, his feet began to move in the direction of promised warmth, drawing him closer to the enigmatic Count's store. The doorbell chimed overhead as he pushed the door in, blinking wearily.
 
     “Count? You in here?” Leon mumbled. The person he had called looked up from the tea dishes he had been setting on the mahogany table.
 
     “Detective? What are you doing here?” His different colored eyes blinked slowly up at him while his ever present shadow, Q-chan, fluttered up to rest on his shoulder, looking at the tired man suspiciously. A small gasp left the beautiful Count's lips and he raised a hand to them, taking in Leon's disheveled and dripping state, jaw dropping in horror. “What happened to you? You're a mess!”
 
      “Yeah, no sleep for several days can do that to a person.” Leon drawled sheepishly, before falling face forward, fast asleep. D managed to catch the tired detective before he hit the floor, sighing in relief that he had been fast enough.
 
     “Detective… whatever am I going to do with you?” He sighed. Something in Leon's hand caught his eye, a small plastic bag that was almost unnoticeable at first glance. Gently he reached down and took it from Leon's tight grip. Even in his present condition, the detective never ceased to amaze him. Sighing, he picked up larger, blond man and carried him into the dark recesses of the petshop and to a more suitable place for him to sleep… and hopefully bathe later… not that he was complaining of course. It was fortunate for Leon that the Tou-Tetsu was securely locked in his own rooms that afternoon.
TBC….