Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Menagerie ❯ Never ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Okay…I have no idea where this came from. It was probably sparked by a drabble topic on LiveJournal, but still…the whole continuation thing is a bit weird. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
"Daddy!"
Christopher Orcot closed his eyes and sat back in his chair, hoping that if she got no answer she'd simply settle down to sleep.
"Daddy!"
Chris sighed, it seemed the ex was due for another talk about reducing her sugar intake before dropping her off for the weekend. He ran a hand through his hair before getting up and crossing the small room to look in the open bedroom door
"What is it honey?"
She was watching the doorway expectantly, her determined expression undermined by the tousled blond hair and bright green eyes that seemed to shine even in the dim light of the hallway.
"Daddy, how long is never?"
Chris blinked and paused briefly before answering. “Never is a very, very long time. It means something isn't going to happen or come.”
Her brow furrowed at this and she looked down at her comforter. “Oh. So never is for always?”
He looked at his daughter, trying to puzzle through some question beyond her five year old reasoning. “Something like that. Why?”
She tilted her head up to look at him again, expression still serious. “Because of the story. I asked about the people in the story and you said you never saw them again. Does that mean you won't see them again-ever?”
Chris suppressed the urge to wince or grimace at that. “Well, it means that I haven't yet. I'd like to believe that someday I might.”
Her expression finally eased and she nodded. “Okay. Daddy?”
“Yes?”
“Is it okay if I believe that too?