Pirates Of The Caribbean Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror, Mirror ❯ Elizabeth ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 17
 
Alston Bradley paced the parlor of Edmund's residence with his hands clasped behind his back and his brow furrowed in thought. Edmund lounged in one of the fine chairs and gazed out the window with a finger pressed to his cheek. The tension in the air could be cut with a knife, and both men were at a loss as to what had happened to Ayse.
Port Royal had been searched in its entirety, and now the Royal Navy was conducting an investigation over the rest of the island. Several people had been asked as to her whereabouts, and even Groves was ordered to lend a hand in the search operation. Fortunately, the Lieutenant had as sharp of a mind as he did wit and went along with the game, pretending that he knew nothing at all of this missing girl.
Oh, what they would do to me if they knew the truth… he thought as he gazed through his spyglass from the main deck of his ship. I can only pray she and Norrington are safe.
In the parlor of the Thomas home, Anne brought in a platter of tea and sat down on the sofa. She glanced at Alston and forced a pleasant smile.
“Do sit down and at least have a spot of tea,” she said, pouring a cup for him. “I fear you are wearing a path in my favorite rug.”
Alston stopped and glanced at Anne, but he could not resist the woman's warm, welcoming smile. He opted to have a seat, now realizing that pacing would get him nowhere. “I apologize, Anne. I think I shall take some tea.” He placed a few cubes of sugar into the cup as well as a hint of cream and stirred it around. He took a sip and looked at Edmund. “I'm afraid I am at a loss as to what else I should do, Edmund.”
Edmund laid his spoon on his saucer. “As am I. The entire Navy is searching for my niece and your bride, but they've had no luck. Surely she couldn't have gone far.”
“How could she go very far without anyone noticing to begin with?” Alston questioned. He sighed. “I should have anticipated this happening.”
“Well, mark my words it will not happen again,” Edmund responded sternly. “She made a promise to wed you and I intend to see to it that she sees it through, even if I have to bound and gag her myself.”
Anne's spoon clattered as she glared at her husband incredulously. “Edmund! How can you say such things about Ayse?”
“That girl is too stubborn and too smart for her own good, and in jilting Mr. Bradley here, she has dishonored us and disgraced herself further.”
“Now, Edmund…Friend,” Alston began. “Let us not bring up her illegitimacy. She was not the one who chose to be born out of wedlock, you know, and I am more than willing to overlook that and keep it a secret if I must to protect her honor. Ayse is a delightful young woman, and I'll not have that kind of talk whether it is in your home or not.”
Anne set her dishes down on the table and smoothed her gown. “Alston, I am sure that Ayse has a reason for doing what she did. It isn't like her to simply run off like this, and the only reason that I can conclude as to why she's behaved as such is that she was more than likely afraid. A marriage is quite a step, and as we all know, it is forever. We did push this on the poor girl rather quickly and she had really no say in it.”
“Oh, but she did have a say,” Alston pointedly said. “She could have said no…or at the very least postponed it.” He placed his tea cup on the table with Anne's. “But I think I understand, and I shall have no ill intent toward her when she is returned to us. I will marry her and all will be as though nothing happened.”
The room fell silent as Anne leaned forward to put the soiled dishes onto the tray. She stood from her seat, picked up the silver serving platter and nodded toward the two men. “I shall leave you in one another's company. Please excuse me while I assign Eloise to her duties for the day.”
As Anne made her way toward the kitchen building, she couldn't help but wonder why Alston seemed so adamant about marrying Ayse and why Edmund was so obsessed over it as well. There was also the fact that Ayse did not seem even remotely interested in becoming Mr. Bradley's bride, yet she had become engaged to him only to run off, or so everyone was assuming. She frowned as she entered the kitchen and placed the dishes into the wash basin; something did not sit right with her, and she wanted to know what it was.
 
 
The ship that Gibbs had secured pulled into the harbor, and Ayse adjusted her hat as she scanned the scenery. Haiti didn't seem that different from Tortuga, being an entirely pirate controlled area. It was chaotic, loud, and inappropriate in every sense of the word, though outside the bustling port, the land really was quite lovely with its mountainous terrain, aquamarine waters, and colorful foliage.
Ayse hadn't talked to James at all that morning when usually she would at least find a moment to at least say hello. The thought of meeting Elizabeth had left a bitter taste in her mouth, and the fact that James was so obviously still in love with her made Ayse all the more angry. She realized that she shouldn't be upset since Elizabeth was now married, from what Gibbs had told her, but Ayse just couldn't help it, and it made her feel horrid.
After the moor lines had been cast and the gang plank let down, Ayse and Gibbs made their way off the ship and onto dry land. Ayse clutched James's watch in her hand as she followed Joshamee through the port's village and out into the scenic, untamed countryside. Gibbs turned off the main dirt road and led Ayse down a path that went a little ways back into the jungle where they came upon a clearing and a small log cabin in the midst of it.
“So…is this it?” Ayse asked, studying the cabin from a distance.
“Aye, this be the place,” he responded, walking up to the door.
Gibbs raised a hand and rapped softly on the wooden door, and after a moment it opened to reveal a petite young woman who was probably just a bit younger than Ayse. She had long blonde hair that was tied back with a ribbon and dark brown eyes. Although she was dressed in breeches, a shirt, and waistcoat, Ayse thought that Elizabeth really was rather lovely, and she could see why James would be attracted to her.
“Gibbs?” she said. Then she offered a lovely smile. “What brings you here?”
Joshamee offered a toothy grin of his own toward her. “How are ye, Elizabeth?”
She nodded. “I am well.” Then she noticed Ayse over Gibbs's shoulder clutching the gold pocket watch. “Oh…who is that?”
Ayse was not a shy person my nature, but she suddenly felt bashful over her inferiority in Elizabeth's presence. She shifted her weight uncomfortably and started to at least offer a greeting to the other woman, but Gibbs broke in.
“Well get on with ye!” he barked.
She jumped. “Er…I was going to, Mr. Gibbs!” Ayse complained. She met with Elizabeth at the door. “Hello…”
Confusion washed over Elizabeth's face. “Hello…” She looked at Gibbs quizzically. “I have a feeling you've come here for something. Why don't you both come in?”
Ayse glanced at Gibbs and then at Elizabeth before the latter stepped aside so they could come in. Once inside, Ayse found that Elizabeth's home was simple but cozy and welcoming. Being a Governor's daughter, Ayse had expected more, but then again, she had married a blacksmith-turned-pirate.
“Would you like anything, Gibbs?” Elizabeth asked.
He waved a hand. “Naw, nothing fer me, thankee.”
She turned to Ayse. “What about you, Miss…?”
“Thomas. Ayse Thomas.”
Elizabeth offered a smile and gestured Ayse to a seat as Gibbs went ahead and made himself at home. “Nice to meet you, Miss Thomas. Tea?”
“C-certainly…if it is no bother to you,” she said quietly.
She chuckled and opened a cupboard to take down a tea kettle and some cups. “Absolutely not. In fact, I'm rather relieved by the company. I'm Elizabeth Turner, by the way. It's good to make your acquaintance.” She brought the items to the table. “So…are you a friend of Gibbs here?”
Ayse shook her head. “Well, he's more of an acquaintance who is helping me out. You see, I am on a journey on behalf of a friend.” She paused. “A friend you know very well, Mrs. Turner.”
Elizabeth was filling the pot with water when she slowed her movement and turned to look at Ayse. “A friend…that I know?”
Ayse nodded and removed her hand from James's pocket watch. She slipped the cord from around her neck and placed the item on the table.
Elizabeth placed the kettle over the fire and sat down at the table to examine the watch. Upon seeing the initials etched on its lid, she gasped. “Where did you get this?”
“The watch itself is not as important as what, or should I say who is inside,” Ayse said. “Open it.”
Elizabeth held the watch carefully and stared at it for a moment. Though James's watch was made of the finest gold, it was dingy and it looked like it had been through a lot. She unclasped the lid and gently opened it to reveal the mirror inside the lid. As she gazed at it, Elizabeth saw James's face appear in the glass.
“James...” She suddenly looked up, shock written all over her face. “This…cannot be.”
“You've seen many things that cannot be, Elizabeth,” Ayse heard James's voice say.
Elizabeth looked at James again. “You…you're supposed to be dead, James. I saw you die at Bootstrap's hands with my own eyes!”
“Actually,” Ayse cut in, “he is dead. You are holding his soul in the palm of your hands.”
Elizabeth blinked. “Oh, James…how did you get in there?”
James chuckled. “I'll tell you about that in a moment.” He paused and looked at her tenderly. “It's so good to see that I at least managed to save you, Elizabeth. I've been worried about you.”
“You shouldn't,” she responded. “You know I can take care of myself.”
James nodded. “I know that, but I suppose I can't help it, as much as I care about you.” He paused. “We have a great deal to discuss.”
“So it would seem,” the other woman responded.
Ayse frowned as the teakettle began to whistle. She stood from the table, removed it from the heat, and then brought it over to pour into the cups.
“Oh, you didn't have to do that, but thank you,” Elizabeth said kindly.
Ayse poured a cup for herself, dropped in a few tea leaves from the caddy on the table, and let it brew as Elizabeth began to relate her story to James and what happened in the battle between the pirates and the Navy. She sipped on her tea, which tasted wonderfully considering she hadn't had tea in a little over a month.
As James began his own story, Ayse stood from the table. “I'm sorry to interrupt, but I've never been to Haiti. I think I should like to step out for a moment and have a look around. I won't go far.”
Gibbs stood from the table as well. “Actually, why don't I go with ye? Dun want you coming across some stray pirates and getting into a world o' trouble.”
Actually, Ayse wanted to be alone to sort her thoughts, but she felt that perhaps Gibbs coming with her would be a good idea considering she didn't know the area well.
“Whatever you wish,” she said. She offered a forced smile toward Elizabeth. “No doubt you two have a lot of catching up to do.”
With that, Ayse and Gibbs left, closing the door behind them, and Elizabeth looked back down at James. “Do tell me how you met Ayse.”
James smiled a little and shuffled. “Well, I was about to get to that. You see…”
He relayed the story of how he'd gotten into the dressing mirror and how it was a gift to Ayse from her father. Then he told Elizabeth of how they had become good friends in the short time he'd known her and how hard she had been working to help him.
“Oh, James, she sounds very lovely,” Elizabeth said pleasantly. “From what you've said, it seems that she is quite fond of you.”
He nodded. “Ayse is a good and fine woman. She deserves far better than what her uncle is trying to do to her.”
“Yes, you said something about that…” Elizabeth trailed, remembering how she felt when she was engaged to James and didn't want to be. “James?”
“Yes?”
“For what it's worth, I…apologize for hurting you so. I can completely understand Ayse's predicament. I wanted to marry someone I loved, too.”
James was quiet for a moment. He had known Elizabeth didn't love him, but he loved her all the same. “I must say that your downfall was unfortunate, but I must ask…are you happy, Elizabeth?”
“Yes, absolutely. I miss Will very much, but I am happy with him.”
“Then that is all that matters to me,” James told her. “All I ever wanted was for you to be happy, even if it wasn't with me.”
Elizabeth smiled. “Well, at least we've cleared that up, but promise me, James, that if and when you get out of that mirror, if you find someone who loves you as much as you did me, please…love her with all of your heart.”
James nodded. “I shall.” He paused. “May I ask you something? Well…two things.”
“Of course.”
“You do know that I had nothing to do with your father's death…correct? Are you still angry with me over that?”
Elizabeth sighed and shook her head. “I should have known better than to accuse you of having a hand in my father's death, James. You were too good of friends with him, for one, and for another, I know that no matter how low you sink, you would never have a hand in a plot like that.”
“I'm glad to hear that, Elizabeth,” James said, relieved. “Your father was a good man, and I could never even think to bring harm to him. Now my other question…Ayse…has done such good things for me in bringing me this far. Elizabeth, will you please help me find Jack so I may find Calypso?”
Elizabeth nodded. “I will do the best I can, but I cannot make any promises. Jack...can be difficult to find, but…it just so happens that he often drops in to visit.”
“How often?”
Elizabeth shrugged. “Well, often…for Jack of course. He was here about two months ago.”
“Did he say when he would be back?”
“Well, no, but he did say that he was going off to get the Black Pearl back from Barbossa and look for some treasure in the colony of Florida.”
James chuckled amusedly. “Lost his ship again, has he?”
“You know Jack…” Elizabeth giggled. “But he'll get it back, knowing him, and I'm certain he will be here very soon. For the time being, I have an extra bed where Ayse can sleep, and as for Gibbs…well, he will probably retire to the village.”
James bowed his head toward Elizabeth. “I thank you, Elizabeth…with every fiber of my being.”
 
 
Ayse managed to talk Gibbs into taking her to a beach nearby where she could take a walk and enjoy the sun a little. Joshamee had strayed a slight distance away from her as she seemed to prefer being alone. As Ayse idled along the shore, she would occasionally glance down at the sand to see if she could find anything worth picking up before finally settling down in the shade with her back resting against the back of a coconut tree to think.
Ayse relaxed her head and sighed as waves gently washed over the sand. She thought about James a lot and whether he had done his `catching up' with Elizabeth. She brought her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on top. Why should she be so angry toward Elizabeth when it was clear that she never had any feelings toward James at all? In fact, Ayse wondered, was it James she was angry with rather than Elizabeth? She had behaved horribly toward him the previous night, but if it really were James she were angry with, was she angry over the fact that he was still so hung up on Elizabeth? And…why would she be so rattled over that?
Ayse shook her head and buried her face in her knees. She knew why, but she hadn't wanted to admit it. She had tried to ignore it. She had tried to deny it, but Ayse was realizing that perhaps she had grown far tenderer toward James than she had anticipated.
She sighed wistfully. It was wrong for certain, to fall in love with a spirit, but the heart wants what it wants, she concluded. The problem was that she felt she could never compete with a woman like Elizabeth. Ayse felt that she simply did not offer enough for James to compete with his infatuation with Elizabeth. That and right now, he was a spirit, and that could never work. Ayse sighed again. It could never work even if he were a mortal again, she was certain.
Accepting her defeat, Ayse stood and decided that perhaps the best thing to do was to apologize to James and get on with him as though nothing had ever happened. As for Elizabeth, it seemed that she was going to be a part of this adventure whether Ayse liked it or not, so she ought to make the most of the situation and at least try to be friends with her.
Ayse made her way back to the house, and Gibbs mumbled something about exploring the taverns in the port village. She softly tapped on the door and opened it, and Elizabeth glanced up from the table as Ayse entered.
“Well, did you have a good stroll, Miss Thomas?”
“Er…I did, Mrs. Turner. The scenery here is most accommodating,” Ayse responded.
Elizabeth placed the watch on the table. “You needn't address me in that manner. I was never one for formality. Please, just call me Elizabeth.”
Ayse nodded. “Same for me as well. I am not much on formalities myself, so you are welcome to call me Ayse.”
Ayse sat down at the table and picked James up, glancing at Elizabeth as she did. “Have you and James finished catching up?”
“We have, and I told him that I would try my best to help you both,” she told her. Then she smiled mischievously. “In fact, I just might have to tag along on this adventure. This solitary living is making me quite bored.”
James shook his head amusedly. “Well, it's good to see that you haven't changed in the least.”
“What about Jack?” Ayse questioned. “How will we find him?”
Elizabeth shrugged. “Well, the thing with Jack, as James well knows, is that he comes and goes as he pleases. His home is the sea, and as long as there is the sea, Jack will go wherever the wind takes him. Right now, he's gone off to get his ship back from Captain Barbossa and then he is searching for treasure in the Florida colonies.”
Ayse frowned, confused. “Get his ship back…? I say, how does a man lose an entire ship?”
James rolled his eyes. “Jack is quite lacking in intelligence and common sense at times. The man is a fool, but that fool is who is going to help me find Calypso.”
“Now here is something I was thinking of,” Elizabeth began. “How exactly are you going to convince Jack to help you, James?”
“Oh…we hadn't thought of that,” Ayse realized.
James shook his head. “Don't worry. I have an idea of what he would want most in the world and I intend to give it to him.”
“And that is?” Elizabeth pressed.
“Freedom. I will promise not to pursue him any longer,” James simply said.
“Well, that's good. I certainly hope he will agree to help us under that condition,” Ayse remarked. She glanced at Elizabeth. “Do you have any idea whether Jack will pay you a visit soon?”
Elizabeth shrugged. “It's hard to say when he will drop in, but he will come around eventually, I promise you that. Without a ship, it's rather hard for us to simply go off and look for him. That and one never knows where he will turn up, so I think our best bet is to simply wait.”
Ayse nodded. “Well in that case, where would you recommend I take lodging? I brought money with me.”
Elizabeth put up a dismissive hand. “Don't trouble yourself, Ayse. You'll never get any sleep in the village inns with all that chaos. Stay here where there is some peace and quiet and a clean bed.”
Ayse blinked. “It…it won't be any trouble, will it?”
Elizabeth smiled. “If it were any trouble I wouldn't be inviting you to stay.”
She ventured a small smile. “I thank you for your hospitality, then.”
 
 
Later that evening, Ayse stood from the table and placed her dish in a wash basin. Elizabeth had made some kind of stew, and really, it was quite good. She had previously thought that because Elizabeth was of high nobility that she wouldn't know the first thing about cooking or mending clothes, but the more Ayse talked with Elizabeth, the more she discovered that Elizabeth was a far different person than Ayse had assumed her to be. In fact, Ayse felt that perhaps she had misjudged Elizabeth severely, and for that, she felt rather badly.
Elizabeth sat down at the table after clearing it off and put down a tray for tea for the both of them. “I think some evening tea shall help us relax a little, don't you?”
Ayse nodded, taking her cup from Elizabeth. “Elizabeth, really, there is no need to trouble yourself, but I do thank you again for your gracious hospitality.”
“I don't mind, really,” she responded. “I'm just glad for the company.” She nodded toward James's closed pocket watch on the table next to Ayse. “That was a very interesting story how James wound up with you and in Port Royal no doubt. I can't imagine having a ghost in my dressing glass.”
Ayse laughed softly, remembering her reaction toward James when she saw him for the first time. She picked up the watch and held it in her hands. “Indeed. I was afraid of him at first, but we became friends very quickly.”
“James…really is a good man,” Elizabeth said. “He may have done some regrettable things in the most recent past, but I have known him practically my whole life and he was always a good person, even if he did not always show it.”
“I know James feels badly for the things he did near the end of his life,” Ayse said. “We've had many conversations in the time I've known him.” She smiled warmly. “And I have enjoyed every one of them.”
Ayse fingered the watch and gazed at it for a moment, and Elizabeth could see that Ayse's expression had gone soft as she stroked the surface of the watch with her thumb. It was evident to Elizabeth now the reasons why Ayse had come as far as she did; the woman appeared to be falling totally in love with James, despite his impossible situation.
She smiled at the thought. “James is truly fortunate to have such a dedicated and kind friend such as you, Ayse,” Elizabeth alluded. “I can already see that he is in good hands.”
Ayse put the watch down, looking at it thoughtfully as she pulled her eyes away and looked at Elizabeth. “Um…Elizabeth? I don't mean to pry, but…why did you choose not to wed James?”
The other woman blinked and then propped her cheek up with her hand and sighed. “As fond I was of James as a friend, I simply did not love him like I do my husband, Will. I could not bear to wed someone that I did not love. Marriage is forever, Ayse, and I knew I would be unhappy in my marriage, and ultimately, so would he. I…regret that I did things to hurt him so, but I had to be true to myself and my own feelings toward Will at the time.”
Ayse thought about this for a moment. Then, “I understand, Elizabeth. I myself have been compromised into a marriage that I do not want. In fact, my uncle is forcing me into it, against my wishes and the wishes of my father who also believes in marrying for the sake of love.”
“Yes…James mentioned something about that,” Elizabeth said understandingly. “I do hope it won't turn out to be an unhappy ending for you, Ayse. I cannot think of anything more miserable than becoming an unhappy wife, especially if the responsibility has been forced upon you. My own husband may be absent and unable to set foot on land for the next ten years, but he is dear to me, and it's when I'm with Will that I feel the most happy and complete.”
Ayse smiled softly. “That's really very sweet, Elizabeth. I'm glad to see that others believe in the sanctity and concept of love, and I can only hope I find that kind of love and companionship for myself one day.”
Elizabeth smirked. “It could be much closer than you think, dear.”
She blinked. “What's that supposed to mean?”
The other woman shook her head. “It's nothing. Just a bit of advice, I suppose.” She stood from the table and cleared away the now-empty teapot and cups. “I think for now it would be best to turn in for the night.”
Ayse took the watch and placed it around her neck, standing from the table as well. She went over to the washbasin in the corner of the room and rinsed out the dirty dishes and dried them alongside Elizabeth.
“You really don't have to do that,” Elizabeth said. “You're my guest.”
“Actually, I rather showed up on your doorstep and you felt compelled to take me in due to certain circumstances,” Ayse lightly responded. “It's the least I can do.”
After the dishes were washed, Elizabeth showed Ayse to a small spare room with a clean, neatly made bed. She pulled out a clean, fresh night gown and gave it to Ayse to wear for the sake of having some relief from the clothes she had been wearing for the past several weeks.
After a pleasant `Good night' and after changing into the nightgown, Ayse was alone with James. She sat on the bed and stared thoughtfully at the lid of his watch, now certain that she had severely misjudged Elizabeth - and she felt badly over it. What was more was that she felt badly over being so upset with James. She could not blame him for loving her so, for Elizabeth indeed was as good a person as she was beautiful, and most of all, she was true to herself.
Deciding that perhaps Ayse should demonstrate forgiveness herself, she opened the pocket watch. “Good evening, James.”
He gazed at her for a moment. “I see you finally decided to speak to me, Ayse. I had thought you were angry with me.”
“I apologize for my rudeness the night before, James. I was tired, and I had other things on my mind that I unfortunately took out on you. I am fine now.”
He nodded. “I see. Well in that case, you are forgiven.” He paused. “Pray tell, what was on your mind that made you behave so rudely?”
She shook her head. “It's nothing and I am quite over it and I don't wish to think of it any further.”
“Then I won't press it any further,” James said respectively. “Did you visit with Elizabeth?”
“Yes…I did. I had a very nice visit with her. I can see why you loved her so, James. I can only hope that I find someone who will give me that kind of affection.”
“I'm certain you will, Ayse. A man would be very fortunate to have you.”
“Perhaps,” Ayse said. “For now, I think I ought to turn in for the night as I am dreadfully tired.”
“That will be fine, then,” James responded as Ayse placed him on a table next to the bed. “Good night, Ayse. Sleep well.”
“Good night, James.”
Ayse blew out the candle that lit the room and lay down, but she did not fall asleep immediately. She thought mostly of James and how close they had become over such a short time, yet there was still so much about him that she did not know, that she wanted to know. She also thought of how much James was still in love with Elizabeth. Ayse had decided that she liked Elizabeth very much, but she could never measure up to her enough to ever be good enough for James. She silently sighed and turned over to face the wall, deciding that it saw simply something she would have to live with.
Meanwhile, James was doing some thinking of his own. Ayse had left the lid of his watch open, and he could see part of Ayse's face in the moonlight that beamed in through the window. In all honesty, Ayse really was a very attractive young woman, and she was similar to Elizabeth in some ways, but so different in others. But most of all, he could not think of a more dedicated friend than she.
But he still wondered what it was that had bothered Ayse enough to drive her to being short with him the previous night. He thought about the conversation he'd had with Gibbs and Ayse that night, and he suddenly realized that she had not started behaving like that until Elizabeth had been brought up. Then other questions arose; was it out of jealousy? Was she upset that he still loved her? If that were the case, then why was she upset?
It was then that a realization hit him. No…it can't be…surely she can't be falling for me.
He gazed at Ayse deep in contemplation. James hadn't previously thought about Ayse in that manner, but it wasn't as if it wasn't a possibility. In fact, he had considered it a couple of times over his long nights without sleep, but quickly shrugged it off as nothing.
He closed his eyes for a moment and opened them again. If Ayse truly was falling for him, then he simply could not ignore that. But his first priority had to be his current predicament and finding Calypso to resolve it. Then perhaps he would address his current relationship with her, which looked to be ever growing with each passing day, as well as the promise he had made to help her out of her own situation. He was unsure at this point what he could do, but James knew there was a way.
It was getting later by the minute, and while James felt no need for sleep, he was content to listen to Ayse's breathing and look up at the moon, further lost in his thoughts as the hours of the night dragged by. He thought about Elizabeth and the fact that while he would always care for her, it was about time that he needed to let her go. She was happy and cared for, and that was all he wanted for her now.
He gazed down at Ayse once more. “Of everything that has happened to me, Ayse, I have found that you are the one sure thing I can count on. Truly, I have been blessed. May we both find happiness, my true and faithful friend.”