Please Teacher! Fan Fiction ❯ Onegai Bounty Hunter ❯ Moonlight and Matagu ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Zabaione Costada was alerted by Molly when the ship entered the solar system. There still remained a few hours before they would reach Galaxy Post Planet Delta DES-8228. Coming out this far alone had been a new experience for her; she usually worked with a partner. But the Council had needed him elsewhere, thus making the trip a long and boring one at that. She took the down time to study Earth culture via the manuals and actual reports submitted by her quarry.

Mizuho Kazami, former Level C Planet Inspector had committed capital crimes. The Galaxy Federation's ruling Council had stripped her from her post and sentenced her to rehabilitation, remediation, probation, and house arrest. Somehow, Kazami had escaped and fled back to Earth in her impounded starship. It fell to Zabaione, Level C Gingeramen Marshall to track down and retrieve the fugitive from justice.

Matagu Shido, 17year old Japanese High School student and avid photographer and astronomist, sat on the mountaintop alone with his telescope watching the cloudless night sky. He had come to this favorite spot of his which provided a clear, open view. The weather was warm enough to allow him to sleep without a tent under the stars, with the soothing sound of a nearby stream. The place felt both peaceful and romantic to him, but he had come alone with no one to share it with. There were some girls in his class who were interested in astronomy, but he never got the nerve up to ask them to come here. Matagu was a serious student who did well, and he tried to convince himself that was the reason he didn't have a girlfriend throughout high school. Deep down, he longed for someone of the opposite sex to like him. His two best friends had no trouble with getting girls interested in them. Being here with a girl would have been nice especially one like Ms. Kazami. He thought about his gorgeous language teacher for about the millionth time. That was a pipe dream; she clearly was out of his league.

"Molly, prepare for orbital entry/planetfall," Zabaione relayed to her sentient ship's computer interface. Molly resembled a small doll with a dew drop head, pale skin, small circular eyes, turquoise clothing, and a stringy tail. "Take us to Kazami's last known location."

The ship's avatar saluted her human partner and initiated the landing sequence after they cleared Earth's atmosphere. Zabaione gazed out of the view port and noted how beauteous the planet appeared despite it being a primitive world. She reminded herself that this wasn't a vacation and that Kazami's capture remained the priority one. Molly scanned for a landing spot and chose a mountaintop clearing.

The gentle summer breeze that Matagu enjoyed suddenly picked up into a raging windstorm. He saw many of his belongings blow several hundred feet away into a grove of trees.

"What in Kami's name?" he uttered to himself, realizing it may be smart to take cover somewhere. He grabbed his telescope and flashlight then ran off towards the growth.

Just a few months ago, he and his circle of friends had witnessed an actual UFO fly directly over their heads. The details were still quite vivid in his mind's eye and tonight, he realized, that maybe he was experiencing a close encounter of the same kind. Most people would have panicked or at least tried to get the hell out of there. But Matagu had resolved at an early age to meet head on anything remotely extraterrestrial or supernatural if ever the opportunity presented itself.

Zabaione felt relieved once her ship officially landed. It would feel good to walk in real gravity and breathe fresh air. A simple scan had revealed optimal climate levels outside.

"Molly, teleport me 15 meters from the front, I want to have a look," the marshal ordered.

Seconds later, the alien inhaled Earth oxygen for the very first time; it felt clean and pure. She looked down into the valley and saw artificial lights.

"Just like Star Trek," Matagu breathed, seeing a humanoid form shimmer into view. He recognized her silhouette as female, but knew better than to jump to conclusions as far as alien life forms were concerned.

Molly teleported onto Zabaione's shoulder, clearly agitated.

"What? A sentient life form is nearby?" her jade green eyes flashed with alarm. She cursed herself for being too caught up in the moment, forgetting to follow protocol. At least Molly had remembered to cloak the ship.

With uncanny swiftness, she locked onto Matagu and saw him staring at her from behind a tree.

He realized she saw him and stepped out into the clearing. "Welcome to Earth," he said awkwardly.

She had enough command of English to communicate with him. Tumultuous thoughts ran through her mind on how to deal with the situation.

She was tall with an piercing green eyes and hair to match. The word "Amazon" came to mind, but she wasn't muscular, just lithe and graceful like a model. Matagu sensed an unearthly aura about her and could not stop beholding her beauty.

Zabaione found herself drawing her sidearm and made a beeline towards the sentient.

Unarmed, Matagu had no recourse than to get the hell out of there. He took off, realizing this personal could be hostile. So much for his attempt at diplomacy