Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Dear John ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Dear John

By Time Lady

------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters contained within.

------------------

Dear John,

Whatever happened to the man I met eleven years ago?

Back then, you were the new 30 year old post graduate student helping Professor Oak with his research. My parents had both died recently, leaving me, a naïve 18 year old, in the temporary care of their old friend, the professor.

Within one month, you had swept me off my feet. I was utterly, completely, madly in love with you and thought you felt the same about me. We were seldom apart that summer, whether it be studying Pokemon on Professor Oak's grounds, field researching in the wilds just north of Pallet, or making love in the moonlight.

Then summer ended. You told me your parents wanted you to go on one last Pokemon journey, then to come home and join the family business. When I asked to come with you, you said you had to do this on your own. But you promised that you'd come back for me once things settled down. We never heard from you again.

Professor Oak and I had assumed the worst. You hadn't given us an emergency number. I left messages at every known Pokemon Center in the area. You never called. We thought you had died.

Two years later I saw you on television, but I didn't have the courage to contact you then. You weren't a post graduate student, or a trainer or a champion - somehow you had reached the level of gym leader. You changed your hair and your name, the lines in your face had hardened, but I knew it was you.

It was in the eyes. The same eyes I have looked at for ten years in the face of our son.

You didn't know that when you left me, I was pregnant. Would you have left if you had known? Would you have come back if I could have found some way of telling you? Or have you found some way of watching me from afar?

From what I can tell, you're a powerful man now. You run what is the strongest, toughest gym in Kanto. Maybe I shouldn't be writing you this letter, but I just have so many questions to ask you.

Why did you change your name to Giovanni? Why didn't you keep your promise to come back to me? Or was I just a summer fling, forgotten once you were off somewhere else?

I don't know if this letter will even reach you. If it does, will you read it, or will you tear it up? I have sent this for my own piece of mind.

Our son does not know you are his father. He knows his father left on a Pokemon Journey before he was born and never returned. Unless you tell me otherwise, it will remain that way.

I pray this letter reaches you and that you respond.

Your former love,

Delia Ketchum

---

Author's Notes: This is my little take on the theory that Giovanni is Ash's father. FYI, Giovanni is Italian for John.

It comes from an idea that just sort of wouldn't leave me alone and begged to be written (along with about 2 dozen others minimum). Since this one could be restrained in length, I let it go.