Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Fall of the PokeMen ❯ Robert's Recruits ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: TJ and the PokeMen belong to me. Everyone else has either appeared on the anime and/or the game, and they all belong to that Satoshi guy.

Rainbow Isle Saga, Part 3:

Fall of the PokéMen

Robert's Recruits

Nurse Joy looked up as the young man walked into the Viridian City Pokémon Center. His long blue hair clung to the sides of his face, as if he'd just been swimming. The black jacket he wore was soaked, as were his black jeans and travel bag. He quickly made his way to the front desk.

Joy put away the list of daily patients she'd been reviewing. "Welcome to the Viridian City Pokémon Center!" she said brightly. "How may I help you?"

The young man wiped a strand of hair away from his face. "Are there any rooms left?"

Joy smiled sadly. "I'm sorry, but all the rooms are filled. There's a hotel not far down the road, though. In fact, if you have a Pokédex, there's a fifty percent discount--"

"Would you mind if I slept on that sofa for the night?" he interrupted, pointing at the green sofa by the far wall.

Joy blinked. "Well, I'm not sure that's such a good--"

"Please?" he added, staring into her eyes.

Joy smiled. "Oh, all right. Just change out of those wet clothes first. There's a restroom down the hall and to the left."

The young man smiled back. "Thanks. While I'm changing, could you recharge these for me?" He pulled four pokéballs from his bag.

"Sure," Joy said as he handed her the pokéballs.

He smiled at her again before disappearing down the hall.

* * * * *

Ash stared out of the cave, watching the pounding rain come down. Behind him, Misty was checking their supply bag. As she'd feared, they were low on everything, especially food. They'd have to stop somewhere for the night.

"Hey, isn't this Viridian Forest?" Ash suddenly asked.

"I think so," Misty said. "The Pokémon Center should be pretty close."

"Great!" Ash grabbed his backpack. "If we run, we'll get there before it closes."

Misty stood and picked up Togepi, but as she stepped towards the entrance of the cave, the little Pokémon whined and struggled. "What's wrong, Togepi?" she asked.

"Looks like he's afraid of the rain," Ash pointed out. Before Misty could say anything else, he removed his cap and placed it over Togepi's head.

Misty smiled brightly, if not somewhat surprisingly. "Thanks, Ash."

Ash nodded and adjusted his backpack. "Let's go!"

The two teens ran out of the cave, fighting their way through the storm.

* * * * *

Robert tied his blue hair into a long ponytail and let it drop against his back. After checking his reflection in the mirror, he smiled. He had to be at his best with such an attractive woman nearby. It was impossible to tell he'd just escaped a rainstorm ten minutes earlier.

Nurse Joy was back at the front desk when he walked out. "All done!" she said, sliding the pokeballs across the desk.

Robert carefully placed them in his bag. "Thanks. Do you have the time?"

"Three minutes to midnight," she replied. "Going somewhere?" There was a hint of disappointment in her voice.

He smiled. "No, not yet. Just planning ahead."

The main doors suddenly burst open as two teens ran in.

"My goodness!" Joy exclaimed.

The boy quickly shut the doors, while the girl placed her Togepi on the floor. "Sorry about that," she apologized, "but we got caught in the storm."

Joy smiled at the two. "Don't worry about it, Ash and Misty. You're always welcome here."

"Ash?" Robert asked, looking up. "Ash Ketchum?"

Ash removed his hat from Togepi's head and squeezed water out of it. "You know my name?"

Robert grinned. "I'm Robert, and I've been around. You've become quite the popular trainer. All the gym leaders I've met speak very highly of you. Even Blaine thought you'd be the next Pokémon Master, and he doesn't like anyone."

Ash blushed a bit. "Well, my team does its best."

Robert reached into his bag and pulled out a pokeball. "Oh, and this is yours. A man in the P3 Tournament said you might need it back."

Ash slowly took the pokeball. "No way. It couldn't be!" Still, he tossed it and said, "Pokeball, go!"

In a flash of white light, a Primeape appeared. There was a golden belt around its waist.

"His Primeape?" Misty asked, looking at Robert.

Robert nodded. "He's won the P2 and P3 Tournaments. That's three times in a row!"

Primeape ran over to Ash and hugged his leg roughly.

"I guess he is mine," Ash said, patting its head. "Good to have you back, buddy!" Then he turned to Robert. "Thanks a lot!"

Robert smiled. "I'm always glad to help a good Pokémon trainer."

"I hate to break up this moment," Joy said, "but there aren't any vacancies."

"Oh, that's all right," Misty explained. "We can just use our sleeping bags and stay out here."

Joy couldn't find anything wrong with that, especially after Robert flashed her another smile.

* * * * *

The next morning, Misty woke up bright and early. To her surprise, Robert was fully dressed, and apparently waiting on them.

"Glad to see you're a morning person, Misty," Robert said as he chewed on an apple. "Too bad Ash here isn't."

Misty looked down to see Ash still asleep. She gave him a good kick.

Ash snorted and sat up. "Huh?! What's going on?"

Pikachu, who was asleep on his chest, suddenly woke up. "Pika?" he asked, twitching his ears.

"Time to get up, you two," Misty replied. "We've got to get back to Pallet Town so we can start your training."

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that," Robert said after he finished his apple.

"About what?" Ash asked as he rolled up his sleeping bag.

"Your training," Robert explained. "Aside from bringing you your Primeape, I was sent here to...well, recruit you."

"Recruit me?" Ash looked confused. "For what?"

Robert glanced around the Pokémon Center. "Not here. I'll tell you on the way to Pallet."

* * * * *

Once they were on the road again, Robert began. "I saw your performance at the Pokémon League Games, Ash. You were very impressive, despite your loss."

"You saw that?" Ash asked.

Robert nodded. "You shouldn't feel bad at all. Even though your current style of training could use lots of improvement, you still managed to be the third best trainer. I know a way to greatly improve your technique, but it'll only work if you're totally committed to becoming a Pokémon Master."

"Wait a minute," Misty said. "If you're so sure it'll work, why aren't you a Pokémon Master?"

Robert smiled. "I can tell you're a very cautious person, Misty. I have very little or no desire to become a Pokémon Master. My purpose in life is to guide young trainers and show them that the only sure path into the Pokémon League is a difficult one, but they reap the benefits later on. I prefer to keep leading trainers to the League, rather than join it myself."

"So what's in it for you?" Ash wondered.

"I can take pride in knowing that my students not only reach the League, but become very successful in it as well. Also, my Pokémon have gained much experience from years of intense battle with trainers. They almost never lose a match these days."

"Well, that's one thing we can test," Ash said with a grin. "How about a match, right here, right now?"

Robert glanced around. "Of course. Let's use that field over there."

A few minutes later, both trainers were ready.

Robert threw his first pokeball, and a Cubone popped out.

"Let's see how much better Primeape's gotten," Ash said with a grin. "Primeape, I choose you!"

The snarling Pokémon hopped forward, bashing his paws together.

"Cubone, bone club!" Robert ordered.

Cubone darted forward with deceptive quickness and beat Primeape over the head several times with his long bone.

Ash growled. "Primeape, seismic toss!"

Primeape growled as well and gripped Cubone's long bone. Then he leaped high into the air, taking Cubone with him. Once he cleared twenty feet, Primeape wound up and threw Cubone to the ground. As if that wasn't enough, he landed on the smaller Pokémon's chest, driving the wind out of him.

Robert chuckled as he recalled Cubone. "Very good, Ash. Marowak, avenge me!"

Marowak jumped out, brandishing his own bone.

"Primeape, use your karate chop!" Ash ordered.

Primeape nodded and ran forward, but as he brought his glove down, Marowak blocked it with his bone, quickly following up with a bone club that left Ash's Pokémon seeing stars.

Robert smiled. "Finish him with the thrash attack, Marowak!"

Marowak charged and slammed into Primeape with jarring force.

Ash gasped in shock as Primeape stumbled back and collapsed. He quickly recalled the fallen Pokémon. "Pikachu, you're up!"

Pikachu darted forward. "Pika!"

"Thundershock!"

Pikachu fired several lightning bolts, but Marowak blocked them all with his bone.

"Use the leer, Marowak!" Robert said.

Marowak advanced on the electric mouse and stared deep into its eyes.

"Look away, Pikachu!" Misty shouted, but it was too late. Pikachu stared up at Marowak helplessly.

Robert grinned. "Now. Finish him!"

Marowak flipped backed several feet. "Marowak! Maro-WAK!" The bone flew from his paw with blinding speed, spinning wildly.

"Pikachu!" Ash shouted. "Look out!"

Pikachu came out of his trance just as Marowak's bone slammed into his face. He flew through the air for a few seconds before crashing to the ground. He didn't get up, or move at all, for that matter.

Marowak reached up and caught his bone as it returned to him. "Marowak!"

"Good job, Marowak," Robert said. "You've made me very proud."

Ash ran over to Pikachu and cradled his limp body. "Speak to me, buddy!"

Pikachu moaned weakly. "Chu..."

"Let me have him," Robert told Ash. It wasn't a request.

Ash slowly handed Pikachu over. Robert gently placed him on the ground.

Marowak stepped forward and circled Pikachu a few times. Then he began to dance around the fallen Pokémon, waving his bone in the air.

"What's he doing?" Misty whispered.

"Traditional Marowak ritual," Robert replied. "It's a dance to ask the spirits to heal Pikachu."

Marowak stopped dancing and held his bone directly over Pikachu's face. Then he threw the bone high into the air.

Ash suddenly got nervous. "Um...he's going to catch that, right?"

Robert said nothing as the bone traveled downward.

Pikachu stared upward and gasped as he saw the bone approaching. It was mere inches from his face when he darted out of the way.

Marowak caught the bone just before it hit the ground. "Marowak-wak."

"The ritual is done, and as you can see, Pikachu is just fine," Robert said.

Ash had to admit that Pikachu seemed to be very alert. "Thanks, Robert."

"Now do you believe I've trained some of the best?"

"It was impressive, but I need to know more. What do I have to do to get into this organization of yours?"

Robert smiled. "All you have to do is shake my hand and do your best. However, there are three rules I should tell you about. First, you must select two Pokémon that you will push the farthest, and ultimately, train to be your best."

"That's easy. Pikachu's my best," Ash said.

Pikachu blushed with pride.

"And the second?" Robert asked.

Before he could stop himself, Ash blurted out, "Charizard!"

"Good choice. Next, you are allowed to bring one friend with you for support."

"Count me in," Misty said quickly. "I wouldn't miss this for the world."

Ash wasn't sure if she wanted to see him succeed or just to be there to laugh when he fell flat on his face, so he decided not to comment.

"Finally, you must swear that if you decide to leave the organization before your training is complete, you will exit by honorable means."

"What's that mean?" Ash asked, scratching his head.

"That means you must never tell anyone about the training you've received from us. We have many secret training methods. However, it won't matter if you tell someone about the PokéMen themselves. Once someone becomes a PokeMan, they literally cease to exist in the outside world. You wouldn't be able to prove they'd ever lived, except in people's memories."

"Sounds fair enough," Ash said. He shook Robert's hand. "I'm in."

"Me, too," Misty added. "Not like I have anywhere else to go, anyway."

"You won't regret this decision," Robert promised them. "Well, I'll give you two time to go home and get packed first. I'll come for you in about a week. We'll start from there. Farewell, until then."

Misty watched as Robert walked away. "Think we made the right choice?"

"The way that Marowak battled, I know we made the right choice," Ash answered.

* * * * *

As promised, Robert showed up at the front door of Ketchum residence a week later.

Ms. Ketchum peered at the young man. "Hello there! Are you new in town?"

"Something like that, miss. I'm here to pick up Ash & Misty."

"Oh, you're one of Ash's friends! Come right in!"

Before Robert could protest, Ms. Ketchum pulled him inside and closed the door. "Ash!" she called. "Your friend Robert is here!"

Ash & Misty walked in moments later, carrying their bags.

"Ready to go?" Robert asked.

Ash nodded. "Let's do it!"

"Pika!" Pikachu chimed in.

Robert smiled and led them back outside. Strangely enough, there was no sign of the limo they'd been expecting, or any other kind of car.

"Hey, where's your ride?" Misty asked.

"Right here," Robert replied, pulling out what appeared to be a black pokeball.

"Tell me you're kidding," Ash said.

"Nope." Robert increased the size of the pokeball, placed it on the ground, and stepped back. Without warning, it grew until it was nearly as big as the house.

"What is that thing?" Misty asked slowly.

"That would be the PokePorter," Robert answered. "You've seen how Pokémon Centers transport pokéballs from one location to another?"

"Yeah," Ash agreed.

"Well, we simply took the concept and increased the amount of space. Now anything inside the PokePorter can be transported almost instantly." Robert placed his hand on the PokePorter, and a large hole opened up. "All aboard!"

Ash & Misty glanced nervously at each other before climbing in after him. Pikachu followed warily.

Once they were all inside, Robert closed the door. Then he looked upward and said loudly, "Passengers: 3 Humans, 1 Pikachu. Location: Recruiting Room. Speed: Normal."

"VoiceScan: Approved," a computer voice said. "Beginning transport. Please close your eyes until the trip is over to avoid vision damage." The message was then repeated in a language that Pikachu alone understood. Then the PokePorter slowly began to spin, until it was reaching speeds of up to 100 miles per hour. Then, in a second, it disappeared.

About a minute later, the PokePorter stopped spinning, and the door opened. "Welcome to the Recruiting Room," the computer voice said. "All new recruits must register here before traveling to other sections of the compound. Afterwards, please locate your PokeMan sponsor before the opening ceremonies begin."

Robert stepped out, gesturing for the others to follow him. He slowly led them through a huge room filled with people. There were hundreds of trainers and Pokémon, so Ash made sure that Pikachu was riding safely on his head.

"Where do we sign in?!" Misty asked loudly over all the noise.

Robert glanced back at her and smiled. "Already taken care of! Just follow me!"

* * * * *

"I've found something, Mew," Alakazam reported. "Mewtwo has definitely been here."

Mew slowly approached the area in disbelief. It looked more like every type of natural disaster had occurred at once, and then some. "But why? Why would he do this? Why would he leave us?"

"I would guess that someone has helped him rediscover his evil ways," Golduck suggested, tapping a webbed finger against his forehead. "Perhaps Team Rocket is at it again."

"But he wouldn't just fall for that trick again," Mew said sharply. "There's got to be something else. Some new element that we don't know about yet."

"There is, my dear Mew," a new voice replied. "You have no idea of the true power I wield. Let me give you a sample!"

"Who was that?" Alakazam asked, a frown appearing on his face.

"I have no idea," Mew admitted. "But it seemed so...familiar?"

Suddenly, there was an inhuman roar that could only be heard in their heads. All three Pokémon screamed as an unknown psychic force assaulted their powerful minds. As they all collapsed, Mew could only wonder what kind of creature possessed such hatred and chaotic power. She, like the rest of the world, would soon find out.

* * * * *

"Well, this will be your room," Robert said.

"It sure is...um...big," Misty muttered at last.

"We try to make all our recruits comfortable on the first day," Robert told her. "Then, of course, the hard stuff begins."

"Hard stuff?" Ash asked.

"Your training," Robert explained. "It's no walk in the park. But if you really want to become a better trainer, you're in the right place."

Misty placed her things on one of the beds, but then she noticed something. "Who do those other two beds belong to?"

"Your roommates," Robert replied. "We try to encourage trainers to spend time with their fellow trainers. The best way to do that is to live together."

"So, when will I be a PokeMan?" Ash asked.

Robert chuckled. "I like your ambition, but I think you have the wrong idea. There are currently nine--well, ten--PokeMen, but they are the ones that teach you. Once you complete the training, you won't become one."

"Then what will I be?"

"A much better trainer," Robert told him. "Besides that, anyone who successfully completes the training has a free pass to the Pokémon League, whether they've earned enough badges or not."

"WHAT?!" Ash cried.

"Well, you still have to defeat the Elite Four," Robert responded. "But after that, you're in. You'll also get certain benefits that other trainers don't once you reach the League. Lance will tell you about them...if you make it, that is."

"Oh, we'll make it, all right," Ash said. "Make no mistake about that!"