Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket's Secret ❯ Chapter 14

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part 14

"Where are we going?" Ash yelled.

A few feet ahead, Jessie glanced over her shoulder. "Anywhere away from them!"

"But we have to do something," James said. "If we keep running, they're gonna catch up."

From his vantage point on James' shoulder, Meowth could see Ash, Brock and Misty panting for breath. "And the twerps don't look like they can handle the pace."

"I don't..." Misty gasped. "I don't think I can keep up." Her pace slowed until she lagged several feet back.

"Come on, Misty," Ash said. "You can't stop now."

"But...my side hurts so bad."

"Meowth," James said, "have we lost them yet?"

Tires screeched around a corner as dozens of jeeps sped into sight. Team Rocket minions hung out the windows and on top of hoods. Some of the last cars had too many minions and couldn't stop, instead flipping over and sliding into the buildings across the street. The jeeps ahead stopped as the rest looked back at the damage and the other minions groaning inside wrecked jeeps.

"Nope," Meowth said. "And now they got cars."

"Charge!" Giovanni yelled from the front car. The remaining minions collectively shrugged their shoulders and continued forward.

"Misty, keep up," Brock said. "You mustn't fall behind."

"I can't..." She stopped and stooped over, one hand on her knee and her other around Togepi.

"Fire!" Giovanni commanded his minions. Bullets hit the streets and signs around them.

"Eek!" Misty screamed and ran past Ash and Brock, pulling over with James.

"Wait for us!" Ash and Brock said.

"Jessie, we've got to do something," James said.

They came to a corner and she stopped, scanning the nearest buildings. She pointed at one painted white with a blue cross over the door. They ran inside, turned and slammed the heavy door, sliding the bolt lock in place. Safe for the moment, they breathed a sigh and turned.

A roomful of suit and tie teens and teachers stared at them. A blue banner painted across the wall proudly proclaimed the "Sunday School of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."

"Uh," Ash said.

Beside him, Jessie and James exchanged a look and smiled. Meowth noticed and giggled.

"You three," Jessie said. "See if there's a backdoor."

"What are you gonna do?" Brock asked.

James smothered his laugh. "Explain our sudden intrusion to the Mormons."

"Oh. Okay."

The three found another door and ran through the hallway, looking in each door they came across. They found another class room, the bathrooms, and the janitor's closet, where a bucket landed on Ash's head.

"I can't believe this," Ash said, his voice echoing under the bucket. "Why can't we find a stupid door?"

"Maybe because you're so stupid, Ash Ketchum," Misty said. She pointed ahead. "Look, there's the exit."

Ash yanked the bucket off his head and noticed the glowing green exit sign farther down the hall. "Oh."

They ran to the door and Ash pulled on the handle. When it didn't move, he yanked harder, bracing his feet on the frame as he strained.

"Ash," Brock said. "The sign says push."

"Oops." He flung the door open and they ran out.

A dozen black cars with Team Rocket members hanging off of them surrounded the door, engines revving. Pokemon were released from their balls, their claws and spikes and glowering eyes all pointed at them. Giovanni, his outfit burnt away in spots and smoking in others, crossed his arms and laughed.

"Ran through the wrong door, hmm?"

Misty screamed, and they turned around to go back through the door. Instead they slammed face first into a closed door and bounced back on their asses onto the pavement. They heard gravelly laughter, and when they looked up, they saw Butch and Cassidy in front of them, their uniforms damp and torn.

"Okay, twerps," Butch said. "Where are they?"

"Who?" Ash asked.

"Don't play stupid," Butch said, grabbing his shirt and yanking him up off his feet. "Where's James an' Jessie?"

"Leave him alone!" Misty yelled, kicking his shin.

His eyes bugging out, he dropped Ash and hopped on one foot, holding his abused leg. Cassidy growled at them and grabbed Pikachu, shaking him back and forth.

"You rotten little brats, where the hell are they?"

"No, Cassidy," Giovanni yelled. "Don't touch that--"

"Pikachu!"

Electricity swirled around Cassidy's body, making her convulse until Pikachu stopped, and she dropped on the ground, still twitching.

"That's it," Giovanni said. "Everyone, prepare to fire."

Clicks filled the air as all of Team Rocket cocked some kind of rifle or released a safety. Ash and Misty pressed closer to Brock, all of them closing their eyes, unwilling to watch.

"Ready. Aim. Fi--"

A whistling sound cut him off, followed quickly by a solid crack. He fell onto the ground clutching his mouth as blood oozed from between his fingers. When he brought his hands back, they could all see one of his teeth cracked in half. A smooth round stone lay beside him.

"Prepare for trouble!"

Jessie's voice surprised all of them. Everyone stopped and looked around, unable to see where her voice had come from.

"Make it double."

Now they looked up at the edge of the roof where James and Jessie stood back to back, her with her eyes closed, him with a slingshot in one hand. She smirked as she opened her eyes and looked down on them.

"To protect the world from devastation."

"To unite all peoples within our nation."

"To celebrate the joys of truth and love."

"To extend our reach to the stars above."

"Jessie."

"James."

Misty shook her head. "Oh geez, what are they doing now?"

"Gone nuts, by the look of it," Ash said.

Spitting blood, Giovanni yelled, "Knock it off, you idiots! Get down here and give up before I decide to vivisect you."

James stuck his tongue out. "Shut up. No one interrupts our mantra."

"Our new and improved mantra," Jessie said.

Now they struck poses, Jessie standing straight with one arm up, James bent at an angle beneath her.

"The good guys of Team Rocket blast off at the speed of light."

"Surrender now or prepare to fight."

Giovanni wobbled back onto his feet and took out his own firearm. "That's it, just blast them."

"Meowth!" The door suddenly opened, Meowth appearing on top as it swung back, and dozens of suited teens and teachers streamed into the empty lot, screaming and waving chairs and table legs. "That's right!"

Misty, Ash and Brock screamed and ran out of the Mormon mob's way. Team Rocket, too stunned to fire, was trampled underneath the mob, either running from their makeshift clubs or hiding in their cars.

Before Ash got too far, he felt something jump on his shoulders, and he looked up to see Meowth hitching a ride. The little cat turned and waved at James and Jessie, who were sliding down a rain pipe to them.

"Come on, you's two! We gotta get outta here!"

"Hurry Jessie!"

"Hang on," she snapped. "It's hard doing this in a skirt and boots." She dropped down the last few feet and held her arms out, catching James as he dropped.

"Did you guys do all that?" Brock asked as they started running again.

"Of course," Jessie said.

"We can start a riot in Sunday school." James winked and tucked his slingshot in his belt. "We just riled them up a bit."

"How?" Misty asked.

Jessie laughed. "That's a trade secret."

"Now where are we going?" Ash asked.

"We didn't plan that far ahead," James said.

"Pikachu." *Figures.*

Brock pulled out ahead to take the lead. "Maybe we can make it to the police department. Giovanni couldn't pull off anything there."

"Um..." Meowth looked back and forth at James and Jessie. "Can we go back there now? I mean, we just started a riot."

"Oh no, he's right," James gasped. "Jessie, where'd we leave the balloon?"

She sighed and glanced at him. "The police have it, remember?"

"Okay," Meowth said, snapping his fingers. "Then we go to the police station, pick it up, inflate it and get the heck outta Dodge!"

"You can't run now," Misty said. "Not after you've come so far."

"Yeah," Brock said. "You've got those great test scores, you're about to help put Giovanni behind bars, and you've got five million in reward money coming your way."

"What good is that if you're dead?" Jessie snapped, glaring at him.

"You won't be dead if we get to the cops," Ash said. "Don't you have immunity?"

Brock turned a corner and led them down another street, narrowly avoiding a speeding pick up truck. "Sure they have immunity. They'll be safe with the police, so let's hurry up!"

"Brock," Misty said, "how do you know where we're going?"

"I make it my business to know where every police station is," he said, hearts popping up in his eyes. "That way I know where Officer Jenny is."

Ash and Misty sweatdropped, but James put his hand on Jessie's shoulder and leaned close. "You'd better not get too close to him. I don't trust him around anything female."

Not saying anything, she still smiled at him and grabbed his hand, holding it as they ran. A few minutes later, they paused for a few seconds and bent over, leaning against the wall or a street lamp and catching their breath.

"It's just a little bit farther," Brock said.

James groaned and flopped back on the sidewalk. "I can't keep going. My legs feel like noodles."

Standing straight, Ash looked back the way they'd came. "You think maybe we lost 'em? I don't hear the riot anymore."

"No way," Jessie said. "The Boss is too good."

"You know," Ash said, "he's not your boss anymore. You don't have to call him that."

For a moment they stared at him, then stared at each other.

"You think?" Jessie asked.

"Maybe..." Meowth said.

"I thought once you're a part of Team Rocket, you can't get out," James said. "Not unless you're arrested or--"

"There they are!"

They looked back and saw Butch and Cassidy, now barely dressed in tatters, their hair at wild angles and limping down the street. A few other roughed up teens followed, accompanied by a similarly tousled Giovanni who now sported a black eye. "Get them!"

James and Jessie screamed and took off, followed by Brock and Ash with Misty and Meowth bringing up the rear. Shots echoed through the streets, making pedestrians duck down. Cars screeched to a halt as James and Jessie ran in front of them.

"Look, there it is," Meowth cried, pointing straight ahead. The police station loomed just a few buildings away.

"But they're right behind us," Misty said.

Knowing they might not make it, James turned and knelt, already loading his slingshot and aiming. The first one caught Cassidy's face and sent her backwards, and then Butch followed suit.

"That's for all the times you picked on us!" James yelled.

"James, come on," Jessie said, stopping for a moment. "We're almost there."

"You get help," James said as he took out another minion. "I'll buy you time."

Loathe to leave him, she nodded once and sprinted for the police station. Ash stopped beside James and set Pikachu down, then called out Squirtle.

"What are you doing, twerp?"

"You'll need help holding them back." Ash pointed at the approaching Team Rocket. "Squirtle, use your water gun attack to get 'em all wet!"

"Squirtle!"

A torrent of water, strong enough to come out of a fire hose, blasted Team Rocket and sent half of them slipping onto the pavement. Frustrated screams and curses filled the air.

"Now, Pikachu, use your thundershock."

"Pi...ka...chu!"

Lightning bounced through the puddle around Team Rocket and sent them convulsing. Unfortunately, it didn't send them into the sky.

"Why aren't they blasting off?" James wondered, popping Giovanni again just for fun.

"Maybe it's 'cause there's so many of them," Ash said as he called Squirtle back.

With a collective groan, Team Rocket rose to its feet and staggered out of the puddle, picking up their guns as they moved. Ash pointed at Giovanni.

"Pikachu, thundershock again."

"Pika...chu!"

A bolt of lightning streaked out towards the boss, whose eyes widened. "Butch, take it!"

"Gotcha, Boss."

Before the shock could hit Giovanni, Ash watched in horror as the weakened Butch jumped in front of the attack and absorbed it. He collapsed in front of the boss, who stepped over him.

"He...he got between them," Ash said.

James launched another shot, but another minion dived into its path, taking the hit in his chest before falling at Giovanni's feet.

"Give up, James," the boss said. "Jessie isn't here to tell you what to do now. Your attacks won't reach me."

Whimpering under his breath, James backed up a few feet. "Go away! Why can't you just leave us alone?"

"Don't panic," Ash said. "We can stop him."

"James, look at what you're doing," Giovanni said, sweeping his arm back over the smoldering kids in black. "This is your family. Don't you remember? Team Rocket is your family. We're your family."

"But you hurt me," James whispered.

"Don't listen to him," Ash said, turning to him. "He's trying to trick you."

But James had already lowered his slingshot.

Giovanni continued as if Ash hadn't spoken. "You weren't cooperating. You were keeping important secrets from us. From your family, James. You were hurting us." He held his hands out. "Don't you want to come home?"

"Then why did you do all this?" James asked. "Why was everyone saying 'surrender or die'?"

"Because if you don't come with us, the police will kill you. They're only nice until they don't need you anymore. Once they've killed all of Team Rocket, they'll get rid of you." He beckoned James closer. "We're only trying to protect you."

"He's lying!" Ash yelled. "Pikachu, thundershock now!"

"Pika--"

Before he could finish, the rest of Team Rocket still standing swarmed around Giovanni, shielding him even while they wobbled. Pikachu let his electricity dissipate.

"Come back to us, James."

"Don't listen to him."

"James--"

"Don't--"

Clasping his hands over his ears, James shook his head and closed his eyes. "Stop it! You're confusing me!"

"But James--"

"You shut up--"

Jessie's voice drowned them both out. "James, Ash, get down!"

"Huh?" They both turned and found twenty officers led by Officer Jenny, their guns drawn and pointed straight ahead. James and Ash both screamed and dived onto the pavement, Pikachu following suit and making himself smaller than usual.

"Team Rocket," Officer Jenny called out, "you're under arrest. Lay your weapons down and put your hands up."

Giovanni smiled and shook his head. "There's no need for violence, officer. You heard them," he told his minions. "Drop your weapons."

"But boss," Cassidy whimpered, "they'll kill us."

"I'll keep you safe," he said. "I promise. Go ahead."

Sniffling as they dropped their guns, they huddled close together as a few officers came close with handcuffs ready. A few started crying, and one girl fainted.

"You have the right to remain silent," an officer said.

"We know our rights," Giovanni interrupted him. "Expect my attorneys within the hour."

Misty and Brock ran down towards Ash and caught him up in a big hug, and Misty spun him around once until she realized she was squishing Togepi. "Wow, Ash, that was so brave."

"Aw, it wasn't so bad." He scooped up Pikachu and rubbed his head. "Pikachu and Squirtle did all the work."

"Pika."

"You're alive!" Jessie cried, performing a running tackle that knocked James over. They both landed on Meowth, though, who cushioned their fall. "I thought he'd kill you for sure."

"I'm all right," James said with a smile despite the wriggling Meowth underneath him. "I was afraid they'd get past me."

"Enough with the hellos," Meowth yowled, "get offa me!"

"Oh shut up," Jessie snapped, but she helped James up and then picked Meowth off the ground. "Don't ever worry me like that again, got it?"

"Okay, Jessie." He hugged her again and didn't let go, smiling as she squeezed him back.

A moment later, the police led Team Rocket past them most of them struggling to hide their tears. Butch and a few others had to be carried out, too weak to walk and too weak to need handcuffs.

Officer Jenny stood next to them and watched Team Rocket file past. "Good work," she said to James and Ash. "Maybe you could be police officers when this is all over."

James blushed bright red and snuggled closer against Jessie's shoulder. He closed his eyes and sighed, feeling safer than he had in years.

"This isn't over."

He stiffened and looked up as Giovanni passed by. He felt Jessie's arms tighten around him, so he knew she and Meowth had heard it too, but when they looked around, Ash and the police hadn't. They turned and watched him walk away, but he turned for a moment, stared at them, and smiled.

"Jessie..." James whispered.

"It's all right," she said. "We've gotten this far. We'll be all right." She smoothed his hair down and kissed his cheek. "Between your slingshot and the twerp's Pikachu, we'll be fine."

He shivered while they watched Giovanni disappear into the police station. "Then how come I don't feel fine?"

"Come on, you two," Officer Jenny said. "Let's get you settled into a new hotel. Just a few more weeks before the trial starts."

"Yeah," Meowth said, but without his usual attitude. He settled on Jessie's other shoulder and hung on as they piled into Jenny's car and rode off.

To Be Continued...