Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ One and Only ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
 
Author's Note: The anime doesn't belong to me. And Hayate is here to back me up on this one. Right Hayate?
 
Hayate: What the hell? Where am I?
 
Me: In the void of the author's note world. Now answer my question.
 
Hayate: Are you a demon larvae? You look like it.
 
Me: No.
 
Hayate: How do I know you're telling the truth?
 
Me: `Cause your life hangs in the balance right now in this fanfiction. If you don't do as I say, I can kill you off.
 
Hayate: Ha! I don't fear death!
 
Me: Or I could make you not make out with Himeno.
 
Hayate: This anime doesn't belong to her.
 
Me: Good boy.
 
 
“So you're all going to have to go to school,” Brian said as the last point of his meeting. Hayate, who hadn't been paying much attention at all, suddenly snapped to attention and began choking on his sandwich. Himeno started slapping his back, which only made his back hurt as well. After swallowing the chunk, he gasped and looked at Brian.
“School?” he asked incredulously.
Brian nodded. “Now, Sesame already filled me in on the fact that you guys don't go to school. So… yes, this'll be interesting.”
“I… I don't have to go to school,” Hayate said, shaking his head. “I'm 18. I'm too old.”
“Do you have a diploma?” Brian asked, looking at him pointedly.
“Um… no,” Hayate admitted.
“Then it's settled!” Brian announced cheerfully. “Poof! You are officially 17, and a senior. We'll rig up some papers and transcripts, and you'll be in high school in no time. You won't stay in school very long. In fact, it helps with the mission. You can be closer to the people of the city, and therefore you can keep an eye on them all.”
Himeno could see his anger flaring up in Hayate's eyes. Panic began to fill her. She knew he was trying to be calmer, and she wanted to help him. But how would she? She knew he was getting upset over all the new things. He often had a problem with people telling him where to go and what to do; he was very independent. He hated having someone run his life.
She set her hand on his arm gently, and he looked at her. She smiled slightly, showing she was behind him. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes briefly. When he opened them, they were calmer. He looked back at Brian.
“Can I ask a question?” he said in a strained voice.
“Of course,” Brian said.
“Why are you leading this? I thought you needed us here because of our experience.”
“Yes,” Sesame answered for him, “but at this point, Brian is most capable of leadership because he knows the culture here. In the meantime, we'll follow his rules. Then, after that, we'll lead off. We'll also help them train so they know what to expect in battle. They're not close to being novices, but it'll be easier on them with both teams there.”
“And that means I'm going to have to go to an American high school?” Hayate said, barely able to keep his anger under control.
“Yes, and don't complain or—,” Sesame began.
“Well, that'll be fun!” Himeno said cheerfully from beside Hayate, cutting Sesame off. “This way, we'll all be in school together! We can sit together during lunch in a big group, and we can study together! Eh… wait… scratch the studying. Well, at least there's still lunch!”
She looked up at Hayate with a bright smile. “This'll be great! You and Sesame will be seniors, and Go, Kei, and I will all be juniors! Isn't this great?”
After a little bit, Hayate finally let out a small smile and said, “Yeah. I guess it could be fun. Plus it's only for a few months.”
“Hey, Brian!” Go said from a little bit away from them down the table. “Are you going to be in school with us?”
“No,” Brian said with a light smile. “I graduated last year. I'm currently working in an office as a game designer.”
All eyes from the Japanese Leafe Knights landed on Kei, whose eyes lit up a bit. “A… game designer, you say?”
“Yeah,” Brian responded.
“What kind of games…?” Kei asked, leaning in a bit with interest in his eyes.
“Basic stuff,” Brian shrugged. “Mostly racing games and some online RPGs. Why? You into games?”
“You could say that,” Kei answered with a slight smile.
“The hell you can,” Go said over his shoulder at Kei. He turned back to Brian and said, “His job was game designing in Japan. One of his best talents, besides battle.”
Brian had a hint of interest in his eyes. “We'll talk about internship later. As for the rest of you, you'll all have to get part-time jobs to help support this thing. I hear Sesame had a radio show. That might come in handy later. Go, I know you were a waiter. Hayate… gardener? Right? We'll look into that. And Himeno? What do you do?”
Himeno looked at him with surprised eyes. She looked around, and then pointed at herself. “Me? Oh, I don't have a job.”
“Well, what can you do?” he asked.
“Umm…” she looked up and thought. “I… don't know. I guess I could wait tables, but I'm kind of a klutz and would forget everyone's orders.”
“Have you ever been a store clerk?” Brian asked. Himeno looked at him with an unsure look.
“I don't know,” she said. “I'm horrible with math and numbers. I'd probably do something wrong.”
“Well, we'll think of something. We'll go through what everyone does, and then we'll address the issue of the kids.” Brian sighed, running a hand through his hair, catching a glimpse of his watch. “Then we'll head off to bed.”
“Sounds good to me,” Himeno said with a yawn. “I know I'm ready for it.”
“Good,” Brian said. “Now, Elora over here is—,”
Silence sliced through the group when everyone got the same feeling. It was like a chill running up their spines, and images flashed in their minds. They all knew what it was.
“Demon Larvae!” some said. They all stood up from their chairs in a rush, and the knights transformed. Takako and Mawata looked at each other helplessly, wondering if they should go along for the action. Their question was answered.
“You two stay here,” Sesame said. “This won't take long. I guess this'll be their first training tool.”
“Finally, some action!” Mannen said with a determined grin. He launched off into the air, preparing to go towards the fighting location.
“Hold it!” came a demanding voice from behind him. He turned and saw a girl with icy white hair floating behind him. She had white pants on with designs on them, and a shirt similar to his with blue on the inside of it. Her hair was short and a little spiky. She could have been mistaken for a boy easily.
“I'm your training buddy,” she said, folding her arms over her chest. “You have to help me know what to do.”
“Aww… damn!” Mannen growled. “I gotta hang with a girl!”
“Shouldn't bother you, you're one, too, after all,” she retorted, flying past him. He blinked in surprise, staring after her.
“I think that was your first shoot-down by a girl,” Go said from behind him. Mannen scowled and flew after her. Go laughed and shook his head, looking after the little guy.
“Excuse me?” a girl's voice came from behind him. He turned to see the cat-girl. He gulped and felt heat rise to his cheeks when he saw her in her attire. She had a tight, small red tank top on. Over it was a short, white over shirt that came down to her ribcage, the sleeves poofing out at the end of the arms. She had tight, white pants on that went down to her calves. Her ears had red speckles on them now instead of the white ones, as well as did her tail.
“Hey, I think we're buddies. Come on before we miss the action,” she said, grabbing him by his cape and dragging him towards the battlegrounds.
Kei watched on with amazement, shaking his head and chuckling. “The girls are dragging the guys along.”
“And it's about to be your turn,” came a laughing voice from behind him. He turned to see a blonde girl with a bright smile and light blue eyes looking at him expectantly. She had a yellow shirt with a white vest over it, and a white skirt with high white boots with yellow designs on it.
“Come on, partner,” she laughed, grabbing his collar. “Time to fight!”
Sesame turned to Bethany, who was in a dress that resembled that of Himeno's Pretear outfit, but had a less dramatic skirt and no puffed sleeves. She smiled and nodded, and they took off without a word.
Hajime and Hannah looked at each other and giggled, taking off at the same time out the double doors. On the way out, they formed water balls and threw them at each other, dodging them and laughing.
Hayate looked at Himeno, and Brian stood by Mary. Himeno turned to Brian and said with a smile, “Looks like we'll both be wind Pretears.”
“Looks like it.”
Hayate and Himeno turned to each other, as did Mary and Brian. Both couples reached out and held each other's hands, and soon there were only two people who flew to join the rest of the crew.