Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Heritage ❯ Recruitement ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Prince of Tennis

“So…you're saying that you and your friends need to be at least nine to be able to enter the kingdom of Assyria1 where the treasure is but I don't see why you absolutely need to be nine and even if I join you, we'll still be eight so it still won't work.”
“As you might already know, the kingdom of Assyria is presently in war so they are not letting anyone enter. So our plan is to disguise ourselves as a group of performers that often has access to the kingdom.”
“Performer?” “Yes. The King of Assyria often summons performers to perform in his court and his favorite one is composed of nine people so with a little magic trick we can disguise ourselves and sneak in.”
“That still doesn't solve the problem. We'll still be eight and I won't wear a jester costume.”
“Don't worry we have another friend that will come as soon as we have gather enough people.” Fuji answered as they were heading back to the Inn where he was supposed to meet the others.
“But still, I don't think that they will believe you when they see a child and what makes you think I'm strong enough?” Ryoma asked as he had never fought another human since what happened six years ago and was unsure of his strength.
“A little illusion spell should do the trick and I'm sure that you have enough potential. When we arrive, our captain will test you and if you aren't strong enough we can still train you the time we get to the Assyrian border.” The Archmage replied revealing his sapphire blue eyes.
“ I doubt that a “little illusion spell” would fool the gatekeepers” he muttered but he could feel Fuji's power and knew that he could count on him but he was still a little scared by the look he's soon-to-be companion gave him when they were talking about training.

When they arrived, everyone was waiting and was shocked to see how small the boy was and the said boy couldn't help but be shocked as well by their appearances. They seemed so different from one an another that he was wondering what kept them together.
“Fshhuuuuu! He's so small that he can be mistaken for a gnome,” a man with a creepy face wearing a green bandanna said. He was wearing dark leather with some chains that made him look like a ganster.
A hot headed youth wearing a light armor snorted lightly at that comment and was about to reply but stopped as a tall man with messy brown hair and wearing glasses glared at him. Behind him, another man with spiky black hair and glasses suddenly started writting a some sort of green notebook. He was wearing dark purple robes covered by a black cloak which make him look really intimidating.
“Nya! Let's call him O'chibi!” Eiji shouted as he jumped on them and Ryoma switftly dodged the bear hugged that could break a few of his ribs. Another man showed up to calm the red hed. He was wearing snow white clothes under another white robe. A silver cross was hanging from his neck.
“Don't be that friendly we still don't know if he's strong enough to survive,” the man that glared suddenly spoke. "Let's go outside to test him.” They all headed for the Inn's backyard.
“Tezuka!” Fuji called as the captain was reaching the door. " I'm sure you saw the potential in that boy why do you still bother to test him? Even if he fails, he will improve quickly and catch up.”
“I'm doing this to let the rest of us know his strength and we all went through this so I don't see why we should make an exception.”
“Yes but that boy must be tired already after deactivating my spell and all. Shouldn't you at least let him rest?” He insisted. Wait, never mind. You're just gonna give me the "we will only see his potential when he's at his limit" speech. Just don't push him too hard.

When everyone was there, they started to test Ryoma with a variety of test. First, they tested his reflexes by throwing some balls at him so that he can either avoid or block them without using magic. He was doing pretty well until Eiji and a purple haired man threw a big crate at him but he manage to dodge it by dropping himself on the floor.
“Playing dirty, now are we?" he snarled after receiving a ball right between his eyes.
“That's enough! Twenty laps around the block, now!”
As the trio went to run his laps, the captain turned to Echizen and started asking him what he knew about all kinds of things from what a two-headed cobra should eat to the number of times you must repeat a spell during an invocation. After the quiz was done, they tested his speed (by making him catch a ball that was falling from a tree a 10 meters from where he was), agility (by making him climb trees), accuracy (by making him aim at a moving target)and endurance (by making hims run laps...) he managed to past all of them but was dead tired afterwards.
“Alright, now let's see what you can do in a fight.” The stoic captain announced.” Momoshiro will have a friendly fight with you and no magic.”
The purple eyed man came forth wearing a light armor and a wooden sword and replaced the kid's blades with wooden blades. Ryoma immediately recognized the symbol of the Royal Knights on his armor and tensed up.
“A Royal Knight? Aren't you supposed to serve the King or something?” He asked coldly.
“Ah! Well I left the ranks a few years ago.” Momoshiro answered trying to be as friendly as possible after noticing the icy glares his opponent was sending him." Well shall we start?"
“After you.” Ryoma growled. Momoshiro charged toward him aiming at his chest. The apprentice Nightwalker feinted to the left but changed directions instantly bringing down his right blade on the ex-Knight's left leg but was blocked by Momoshiro's sword. They both leapt apart and this time Ryoma made the first move by aiming this time at Momoshiro's right leg.
He had learned due to past experiences that if you can make your opponent loose his balance the battle will be easier. To his surprise, his opponent leapt back to avoid it. `Now that wasn't normal.' he thought for that move could have been easily blocked.
“Hey! Momochan! If you loose we'll feed you Inui's Penal Tea, nya!” Eiji shouted to “encourage” his friend.
“Fshuuuu! You won't be a worthy rival if you lose to a kid.” added the creepy faced guy.
“Fighting even though you're injured. As expected from someone that was from the Royal Knights. I'll end your misery then."
“Heh! You noticed. It doesn't matter `cause I won't go easy on you so you shouldn't as well.”The other replied while preparing himself to strike back.
“Alright, I think that's enough. I think that our friend here has already proved that he was a worthy companion.” Fuji interrupted and turning towards Tezuka, he added.” Don't you agree, Captain?”
Ryoma only had the time to see the captain nod before being glomped by Eiji.
“YAY! Welcome in the family! My name's Kikumaru Eiji and I'm an Assassin!
“Call me Oishi Syuichiroh I'm a Cleric” the man wearing white said then added pointing their captain.” This is our captain Tezuka Kunimitsu and he's a DragonSlayer”
“Name's Momoshiro Takeshi but call me Momo-chan and as you have already noticed yourself, I was a Royal Knight.”
“Kaidoh Kaoru, Tamer, fshuuu…”
“I'm Inui Sadaharu a necromancer and to celebrate your admission let's have a toast” another man added before handing him a cup of… errr…radioactive slime?
“Poisoning our new member isn't a very good way to celebrate isn't it?” Fuji cut in to Ryoma's relief. "Besides, we need to get up early tomorrow and I doubt anyone would be able to get up until Christmas after taking a sip of your Newly Improved Ultra Deluxe Recovery Drink.”
“Nya! He's right! Are you trying to kill O'chibi?” Eiji added, wrapping his arm in a defensive way around their new companion.
“I never agreed to be called O'chibi…just call me Ryoma...”

1: -cough- I really need some help with making up names. I based that one on Maple Story's( Ossyria.

DragonSlayers: Ummm, well, it a kind of warrior that uses magic and swordplay they are called this way because the first DragonSlayers was a dragon hunter.
NightWalker: Very agile, they usually don't like to fight or the sight of blood, they specialize in infiltration and are very good spies but they have a bad influence because of rumors that were started by their previous victims.
Royal Knights: The King's army's elite warriors. Normally used as bodyguards for the royal family or for very difficult missions…
Thief: Quite similar to ninjas but I thought the word Ninjas reminds me too much of Naruto…
Clerics: Very useful. They specialize in light magic and are very powerful healers.
Tamers: They can communicate and control wild animals at their will but magical beasts are sometimes too hard to control. The younger the animal is, the easier it can be controlled.
Archmages: Very high class magicians who normally use elemental magic and have very powerful offensive magic.
Necromancer: Another kind of magician but they specialize on the deads. They partly use dark magic but not very often for they relay mostly on the undeads that they can 'revive'.
Summoner: Instead of only being able to summon small elemental which is needed to use elemental magic, they can summon bigger creatures or spirits from the other realms.
P.S: I made all this up.