Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen Angel ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: PoT is not mine. If it were, I'll be filthy rich, right?
Excuse me if the happenings aren't consistent with the ones in the anime, well, this IS a fanfic…
 
Pairing: Tezuka - Fuji. Gyaaaaaaah, beautiful people. I'll keep this as mild as possible. And chaste, if I can.
 
A/N: you know, when your head is too full of ideas, it's good to take it out. And I take it out on writing because I like writing… and I love Tezuka and Fuji, together and/or separately… So here goes my first shot at TeFu. Aaargh, crap. Amf. Must stop reading too much fanfics. Gyaaaaaaaah!!! Forgive my way of writing, I figured I haven't written a fanfic for so long… more than a year, I guess, so I'm still fixing my writing style. And all I've been writing are royalty fics so I need to adapt to writing present day fics, ungrrr…
 
Chapter One
“Chances of rain,” said Inui looking up at the dark sky. His glasses were gleaming. “100%.”
“Fushuu…”
“Everyone,” bellowed Ryuzaki-sensei as the thunder rolled, “pack up and take shade.”
Members of Seigaku tennis club hurried as fast as humanly possible. The drops of rain were heavy and enormous and lightning clapped long and low.
“Oishi,” said Ryuzaki-sensei to a dripping wet vice-captain, “take an umbrella and make sure no one's playing out there.”
“Hai,” said Oishi obligingly and he took off, his steps splattering puddles of water.
“Nya,” said Eiji, pouting his lips in frustration as he watched the rain idly through the window. “How are we going home? Even with a huge umbrella, we'll still get drenched.”
Oishi got back minutes later, all soaked. “All in,” he announced as he reached for a dry towel.
“Mn, buchou,” started Momoshiro, looking around for the captain. “Are we supposed to - Where's buchou?”
Oishi's head shot up and scanned around, as did Fuji's. “Tezuka isn't around,” said the vice-captain worriedly. He stretched his arm for an umbrella -
“Oishi,” called Fuji, wearing his eternal smile, but his face was etched with lines of concern, “you'll get sick if you get out again. I'll go.” He grabbed a couple of umbrellas and set off. That Tezuka, he thought rather cheerfully, he should be giving a better example to the team.
Tock. Tock. Tock. The tensai turned to the resounding noise of two solids hitting against each other. Squinting, he found the source of the noise. Keeping his silence, he watched as Tezuka rallied against a wall. To produce echoes against the hoarse roaring of the rain, much power was needed, he thought. Much power was being given to every shot.
Half-grinning, he shouted, trying to imitate Tezuka's baritone, “Twenty laps around the school, now!”
The team captain turned, his brows were slightly creased at the sight of the tensai under an umbrella. The tensai smiled in turn, taking cautious steps forward. “Playing against the wall… is it so enjoyable?” he asked.
Tezuka didn't answer; instead, he busied himself with fixing the strings of his racket.
Glancing at the tennis bag under the tree, Fuji asked, “May I borrow a racket?” He folded his umbrella and leaned it next to the tennis bag.
With a hint of surprise, Tezuka nodded.
Gleefully, Fuji got a racket out of the bag and said, “I think playing against Seigaku's pillar of support is more enjoyable.”
oOo
Arching his brows, Tezuka looked up from his textbook and turned to the creaking door. It opened, bearing his mother's figure. “Kunimitsu,” she said cheerily, “a friend is here to see you.”
“Fuji,” said Tezuka, partly surprised upon seeing the slender boy standing beside his mother.
Ayana Tezuka smiled at Fuji and said, “Well, I'd leave you two here.” She left, closing the door behind her.
“You are sick, and yet you are still studying,” said the tensai, crossing the room to Tezuka's desk. He placed a bag on top and began revealing its contents.
“Is practice over?” asked Tezuka, setting aside his book. “Choo!”
Upon hearing the captain sneeze, Fuji's smile became even larger. A sick captain was always a sight to see, for the tensai, at least. “Practice isn't over yet, but I am excused.”
“You shouldn't miss it if only to visit me,” said Tezuka disapprovingly. Covering his mouth and nose, he sneezed again.
“If I didn't come, everyone else would have,” said Fuji a little too cheerfully. “By the way,” he picked up a small silver thermos from the desk and poured it contents into the cup-shaped lid. He handed it to Tezuka. “Inui's special healing juice especially made for you.”
Tezuka blinked and stared at the cup. Over his dead and mangled body would he drink a drop of any of Inui's juices. To his surprise, Fuji grinned yet again, saying, “It's okaasan's special herb tea for flu.”
Quite relieved, Tezuka accepted the tea with much thanks. “How come you didn't get sick?” he asked. Come to think of it, Fuji was playing with him for an hour long in the rain.
“Perhaps,” said Fuji slowly, “I can actually say that I can defeat you when it comes to health.” And, then, he sneezed. “Or not,” he added lightheartedly. He turned around and took a bowl and a spoon out of his bag. He uncovered the bowl and offered it to Tezuka.
Very suspicious, Tezuka frowned at the bowl. If it were Inui's -
“It's neesan's chicken soup, good for flu as well,” said Fuji informatively as though he knew what Tezuka was thinking.
“Thanks,” said Tezuka as he received the bowl and took a spoonful of the soup.
“And,” said Fuji joyfully, taking out a box from his bag, “I bought some wasabi sushi on the way. Would you like some?”
The captain gave the tensai a stony gaze. Instead of flinching under the sharp brown eyes, Fuji shrugged. “I didn't really want to share this anyway.” One by one, he popped the sushi into his mouth; a happy expression was plastered on his extremely feminine face.
Shaking his head in disbelief, Tezuka took spoonfuls of the chicken soup. The tensai truly never failed to surprise him. But with his surprise, came the understanding of the tensai's character: Fuji liked to make jokes that would catch people off-guard but he was never astounded himself. Fuji also had a knack for seeing things that other people didn't, and he was especially talented in seeing through the captain's staid visage.
“Inui just shared with us how Shitenhouji beat its opponents in Osaka,” said Fuji, still munching on his spicy snack delightedly.
“Ahh,” said Tezuka with a slight nod. “I met Chitose's sister in Germany. I saw her play and I must say that she has good skills. She told me that she adopted the style of her brother.”
Fuji stopped eating and his smile gained an intriguing twitch. “Did you go out with her, ne, Tezuka?”
The captain stopped eating as well. “No,” he said in his usual unconcerned baritone. “I met her in the center.”
The smile on Fuji's lips faltered a little, like he was disappointed. “For one moment, I thought you liked her.”
“As a sister I never had,” said Tezuka truthfully.
At that, Fuji beamed. “That's just like you, ne, Tezuka?” he said, popping sushi into his mouth again, not unlike a child filling his mouth with chocolates. “But if you find a girl whom you like, tell me. I have to congratulate her.” The perfect buchou, with a girlfriend, thought Fuji jovially. That would be something to celebrate. Come to think of it, he never heard about any girl whom Tezuka was interested in. Perhaps, tennis was the one that occupied his head twenty-four seven. And he knew for one that a lot of girls liked the buchou in Seigaku, but they fled from the distant and ever so cold Tezuka. After all, even members of the tennis club feared him.
“That goes to you, too.”
Fuji coughed. True, he thought. Well, that couldn't be helped. He dreamt of winning the Nationals and he didn't want distractions. Women were distractions. Or, just maybe, he still hadn't found a girl to be fond of. He smiled at Tezuka. “If I get a girlfriend, you'll be the first to know.”
Tezuka jerked his head in a nod. How did they get to that conversation, anyway? Ah, Chitose Miyuki. He took a look at the brooding tensai, whose forehead was creased.
But Fuji broadened his smile at Tezuka and the buchou couldn't help but be baffled. He knew Fuji looked feminine, knew it for a fact, heard people tell. But he never noticed it - till then, that is.
a/n: woot. Fwahaha. There, that was my first tefu fic. What do you say? How about some reviews, eh? Uhmm, sorry if my details are a bit off, well, I'm still on my 8th ep of the OVA so I still haven't seen miyuki… I'm waiting for the subbed video. Hehe.