Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Something to Celebrate ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Something to Celebrate

Rating: R

Pairings/characters: Inui/Kaidoh, mention of other Seigaku members and Ibu Shinji because NO party is complete without Mumbly!Shinji.

Warnings: um…boys in love and some touching.

Written for and

///// Italics denotes flash back

***** denotes scene change


Kaidoh sighed, surveying the odd assortment of vegetables, fruits, and jarred substances that cluttered the shelves of Inui’s small refrigerator. Shaking his head at the disorganization of his oh-so precise lover, Kaidoh reached in to shuffle around for breakfast ingredients. The thought gave him pause, cheeks heating, turning pink.

“Lover,” he thought again, blush intensifying, smiling slightly.

Kaidoh’s attention was caught by the soft clink of glass. He grimaced at the collection of home-bottled juices that lined the top shelf of the refrigerator. A myriad of colors and consistencies marked the bottles as clearly as the neatly printed labels, practically confirming Kaidoh’s suspicion that Inui drank his meals. Sighing, Kaidoh gave up on searching out more conventional breakfast ingredients in the kitchen. Other than an almost empty bag of rice, some bread, and the horror factory in the refrigerator, there was no food in the apartment.

Returning quietly to the bedroom for his running shoes, Kaidoh gave thanks he’d decided to check on the state of Inui’s kitchen before his morning jog. He paused by the bed, staring down at the man sprawled across the sheets. The urge to reach out and brush fingers through short, bristled, bed-head and kiss Inui’s forehead seized Kaidoh with surprising force. Hissing softly at the whimsical moment, he headed out of the room, closing the door quietly behind him. Checking for his wallet and the key to the apartment Inui had given him, Kaidoh nodded to himself before heading out.

The streets were practically deserted, the final edges of dusk creeping away to make room for dawn, as Kaidoh started down the sidewalk. Body, breathing, and heartbeat fell into rhythm as Kaidoh turned the first block of apartments. Already familiar with the streets surrounding Inui’s complex, Kaidoh could allow his mind to wander as he continued his run.

He couldn’t help thinking about the night previous, blushing again at the memory. He hissed softly at that reaction, shaking off his embarrassment. Mind wandering further, Kaidoh recalled the day Inui had called to invite him out to dinner for a small celebration for the end of finals. Ignoring the fact that his own weren’t for another week, Kaidoh had agreed. He shook his head, recalling the “small” celebration.

////
Kaidoh sat quietly beside Inui, watching in amazement as his former tennis captain, Tezuka Kunimitsu, moved through several shockingly accurate impersonations of famous idols, all female. Even more amazing was that despite being so obviously drunk, Tezuka’s expression remained as aloof and unreadable as it had always been. Further down, Kikumaru and Oishi were bent over the table, laughing hysterically into their glasses. Fuji smiled as he helped the slightly unsteady Tezuka sit back down.

“Your captain is very odd.”

Kaidoh jumped slightly at the sudden interjection.

“Ah, my mistake, former captain.” Shinji continued, ignoring the startled look he’d received. “Though he’s still your captain, even if he isn’t the captain of Seigaku anymore. Tachibana-san was still our captain, even after Kamio became captain. Tachibana-san was our captain, so logically Tezuka-san is still your captain.”

Kaidoh could only stare as Ibu continued to ramble, speech even more garbled than usual from his level of inebriation. Inui chuckled at his classmate’s logic; taking the time to point out several issues with Shinji’s hypothesis and watching the resulting indignant rant with no small amount of amusement. Kaidoh could only wonder at the eclectic jumble of students that attended Inui’s college.

“Ne, ne Kaoru-chan!” Eiji waved wildly from his end of the table.

“Yes, Kikumaru-senpai?” Kaidoh lowered his eyes respectfully.

“Mou! Still so proper! Inui, you need to loosen him up more.” He pointed an unsteady, accusing finger. “Call me Eiji! I’m not your senpai anymore.”

“Once my senpai, always my senpai,” Kaidoh smiled slightly. “Senpai.”

Eiji made a noise similar to an indignant cat. “You’re laughing at me.”

“He’s teasing, Eiji.” Oishi patted his friend’s back soothingly. “He has loosened up, see?”

Eiji blinked as if the thought hadn’t occurred to him, then smiled widely. “Whoo! Congratulations, Inui! So Spring has finally come for you two?”

Kaidoh’s eyes widened at the implications of his upperclassman’s statement. His moment of incredulity only heightened as Eiji stood, announcing the news to the table at large. Suddenly surrounded by cheers, a mug was handed to him and a cry for a toast went up.

“I’m underage.” Kaidoh intoned bluntly, setting the glass down.

“That’s nothing to worry about.” Fuji waved the declaration off with a smile and flip of his hand.

Eiji laughed at Oishi who was attempting to clarify his observation. He was really only making it worse. The cry for a toast rose again from Kawamura who sat swaying from side to side next to Fuji. Fuji could only smile fondly at him, placing a firm hand on his shoulder while continuing to rub Tezuka’s back with the other.

The beer mug in front of Kaidoh was replaced with a glass of juice, Inui setting the draft within easy reach of the rest of the table. Kaidoh smiled gratefully at Inui, picking up the glass. He was surprised when Inui adjusted his glasses and picked up his own drink, clearing his throat to get attention.

“To the successful completion of another year and another set of finals. To the future success of Kaidoh’s finals in the coming week.”

A cheer went up around the table, and then died quickly as everyone drank.

“Aren’t you celebrating a bit early?” Fuji smiled.

“Nya, he’s cocky!” Eiji taunted.

“Don’t get so cocky you forget to study.” Oishi waggled a finger teasingly at Kaidoh.

“It’s not good to be cocky. Over confidence leads to defeat, but I will not be defeated. Does that make me cocky…” Shinji rambled behind Kaidoh.

“I’m celebrating Inui’s finals. Not my own.” Kaidoh flushed, rising to the bait.

“Hey, how come Inui’s not ‘senpai’? Huh?” Eiji grinned mischievously

“Th-that’s because-“

Inui raised his glass once more. “To Spring finally coming. Ne, Kaidoh?”

His smile was almost imperceptible and wholly wicked. The resounding cheer was louder than the first, drowning out any of Kaidoh’s protests.
/////


Rounding the last block, Kaidoh wondered how many of the revelers would wake up with hangovers. The party had ended with a number of people staggering off to the train station. Kikumaru and Oishi had waved goodbye, supporting one another, and a shockingly sober Fuji volunteered to take both Tezuka and Kawamura home for the night. Even Ibu had been drunk, so drunk he was lucid and called Kamio to come pick him up. Inui had remained relatively sober, much to Kaidoh’s relief. He really didn’t know what to do with a drunken upperclassman let alone a drunken boyfriend. Besides, it had been several weeks since he’d seen Inui; he hadn’t wanted the night ruined by alcohol.

Kaidoh stretched briefly before heading into the small family market. Wondering what kind of breakfast to make, he settled on a traditional celebratory meal his mother always made on special occasions. Inui would likely make a comment about the significance of the food choice. Privately, Kaidoh thought there was plenty to celebrate. He smiled secretly, remembering how nervous he’d been, and how unexpectedly nervous Inui had been too.

/////
Kaidoh bit his lip as fingers traced the waistband of his pants. His palms were sweaty and pressed tightly against Inui’s broad back. Holding his breath, Kaidoh couldn’t help rocking up when Inui’s hand cupped his erection firmly through increasingly uncomfortable clothes. The fingers tightened, Kaidoh hissing slightly from the pressure. He stiffened, letting his forehead rest on Inui’s shoulder. Closing his eyes, Kaidoh tried to will away the blush on his face, too nervous to look at Inui.

“Kaoru, is this really all right?” Inui asked, voice hesitant and raspy.

Kaidoh looked up, the tension in his body easing at the concern in shocking green eyes.

“If you aren’t comfortable or don’t want to...” Inui continued, words rushed and bordering on rambling.

Kaidoh shook his head, realizing how nervous his lover was too.

“It’s just new.” Kaidoh rasped.

Inui nodded, feeling slightly overwhelmed by their newest step as well. He gasped as a hand brushed against his erection, mirroring his hold after a moment. Kaidoh smiled up at Inui, cheeks red, and hand slightly unsteady. Inui felt himself flush in response to the trusting look on Kaidoh’s face. Fingers slid up to fidget with the buttons of Kaidoh’s pants.

“Can I?”

Kaidoh nodded, still a little nervous but comforted by Inui’s worry. Leaning forward, Kaidoh and Inui shared a trembling kiss and a shaky breath of laughter.
////


Double-checking the contents of his bag, Kaidoh made certain he’d have all he needed to make breakfast before looking up, he frowned, marking the sun. Wanting to have breakfast at least started when Inui woke, Kaidoh hurried back to the apartment.

*****
Kaidoh sighed, reaching out to shut off the water of the shower, shaking his head. He stepped out, grabbing the towel he’d laid out and drying briskly before pulling on a pair of boxers. Draping the towel around his shoulders, Kaidoh padded to the kitchen, checking the rice.

Everything else lay ready and waiting on the table, Kaidoh meticulously checking each dish. He nodded in satisfaction; the seikihan would be ready in minutes and was, in Kaidoh’s opinion, best when served steaming hot and fresh. He walked to the bedroom, leaning against the doorjamb, watching Inui still asleep in bed.

Kaidoh smiled, he’d been a little surprised when Inui had continued to sleep after Kaidoh started cooking, as Inui didn’t usually sleep so late, but then the alcohol from last night was likely to blame. Still, Kaidoh was glad for the chance to finish the breakfast before Inui woke.

The bed creaked and bent under Kaidoh’s weight, Inui stirring with the motion. Blinking groggily, Inui was caught off guard by Kaidoh’s gentle kiss.

“Good morning.” Kaidoh greeted, pulling back slowly.

Inui yawned and smiled. “Good morning, indeed. I think I like this better than my usual alarm.”

Kaidoh only shook his head, lifting a corner of the towel to wipe at the water dripping down his face from his hair.

“Breakfast is ready.” Kaidoh stood, applying the towel to his hair in earnest.

“Breakfast?” Inui groped myopically along the nearby dresser.

“Here.” A pair of glasses was pressed into his outstretched hand.

“You missed the dresser last night.”

“Thank you.” Inui slipped the spectacles over his ears. “I was distracted last night.”

“You should be more careful.”

Inui chuckled at the disapproving frown Kaidoh gave him. “You weren’t complaining last night. So what’s this about breakfast?”

Kaidoh scowled, letting the statement go as he pulled a shirt and pants from the duffle he’d brought. Without an answer he yanked on the clothes and headed for the kitchen. Inui followed behind with a smirk. The smug expression faded as he took in the meal set out.

“You made all of this?” Inui looked over the various dishes in awe.

“Just because you can’t cook doesn’t mean I can’t, Sadaharu.” Kaidoh said, opening the rice cooker to check that the seikihan was done.

He filled the chawan and brought the bowls to the table, handing one to Inui who accepted it with awed thanks. He paused, staring down at the brightly pink hued rice and the litter of red beans.

“You made seikihan.”

“Yes, I did.” Kaidoh agreed, clapping out a quick ittadakimasu before picking up his hashi.

“For today.”

“Yes for today.” Kaidoh sighed, taking a bite of the rice. He’d done well considering he’d only made seikihan once before.

“Why?” Inui stared, unmoving still holding his bowl.

“Because we’re celebrating.” Kaidoh growled inwardly, refusing to meet Inui’s boring stare.

The silence lasted so long that Kaidoh looked up curiously. Inui was just watching him fondly, a large goofy smile on his face. Kaidoh’s lips pursed, he could feel himself blushing. Inui’s smile only grew and Kaidoh waited for the tease he knew was coming.

“I love you, Kaoru.”

Closing his eyes, Kaidoh felt his face flush red in pleasure. “I love you, too.”

He heard the chair across from his slide back on the tile. Opening his eyes, Kaidoh could only pick at the red beans in his bowl. He relaxed as arms wrapped around him, hesitantly at first, then with more confidence. Kaidoh leaned back against Inui, tilting his head back to look at him with a smile. The considering look on Inui’s face caught Kaidoh off guard.

“So, are you going to start calling me Anata?” Inui inquired with a teasing grin.

Kaidoh scowled, hissing softly and pushing Inui away. “No I am not. Go eat your breakfast, Haru.”

Inui paused to blink at the unexpected nickname before sitting as Kaidoh’d asked. Kaidoh smiled, watching Inui pick up his hashi and chawan to eat.


Glossary:

1.
–chan: cutesy suffix usually only used on girls, but Eiji will use it for anyone.
2.
–senpai: upperclassman, usually a suffix
3.
This is a Japanese saying that usually implies a new romantic relationship between two people. That their “spring” has come.
4.
Inui’s making a bad pun, because in Japan, the school year also ends in early spring.
5.
seikihan- a traditional celebratory food in Japan for just about any occasion. It’s just rice cooked with azuki (sweet red beans). It often turns the rice pink to red.
6.
chawan- rice bowl
7.
itadakimasu- a prayer like saying, means giving thanks.
8.
hashi- Japanese eating utensils. Aka chopsticks
9.
Anata- literally a form of you, but can be used as a term of endearment, like darling or dear.
10.
Haru- a shortening of Inui’s given name Sadaharu. Denotes intimacy.


AN: I would briefly like to state that I think Kaidoh’s home life is very much full of affection and support. His parents strike me as very loving and Kaidoh would reflect the same behaviors in his own relationships.