Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Romp Through Time ❯ An Old Friend ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Review Love: Love the reviews! I'm sorry it's been so long since I posted. Been a busy month. Glad ya'll are up for more crossover fun. No deep meaning here - just a good `ol Romp. I know it's silly…Thanks to dreaming_trees, inuhanyounikkie and shalinilahiri for nominating and seconding (still no thirds!) “A Romp Through Time” for Best Crossover at the IYFG 3rd quarter awards, and to Doggieearlover, Inuhanyounikkie, AngelineL and Dark Lady 69, bluezinthos and ruelanechan for nominating, seconding and thirding “A Romp in the Park” for Best Lemon.
A/N: Because several of you have asked, here is the url to `A Romp in the Park' on mediaminer.org. You'll have to copy/paste it and take out the spaces - otherwise, ff.net eats it when I post in this doc: h ttp ://w ww.mediaminer.org/ fanfic/view_ch.php? cid=4040 80&s ubmit=Vie w+Chapt er&id=116959 FYI - A “karaoke box” is a small establishment with individually soundproofed rooms where couples or groups can rent a room with a video screen and karaoke machine to have private fun. The gang doesn't make much use of it just yet, but I have high hopes for it in future chapters!
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. They are all the property of Rumiko Takahashi who is to be thanked for letting them come out to romp around with us all.
 
An Old Friend
 
Before Ranma and Akane got to the Tendo's residence and dojo, where the Satome's lived as well, the two families were busy getting ready. They bustled about the traditional home, the two modest but attractive buildings beautifully arranged around a koi pond in an enclosed garden, and walled off from the rest of the busy Nerima suburb to create its own little space of peace - well, usually.
 
“Ranma!” Akane yelled, as the boy scarfed yet another rice ball from a dish he was carrying. “You're supposed to put the food out on the table, not eat it!”
 
“What's food for if you don't eat it?” Ranma picked sticky pieces of rice off his fingers with his teeth and put the dish down.
 
Akane stuck her tongue out at him as she arranged a large number of zabuton cushions around the table in preparation for their added guests. Then she shook her head in frustration as he casually turned on a heel and headed back to the kitchen.
 
“Dad,” Akane complained to Mr. Tendo when he entered the room to survey the preparations, “Ranma invited Ryoga, Cologne, Mousse and Shampoo…” she tried to trip Ranma as he hustled past her with another plate, but he lightly jumped her outstretched foot, “to the party tonight.”
 
“Ah,” Mr. Tendo said, staring about aimlessly. “I suppose we'll have to add a few more cushions around the table then.”
 
“I just did that,” Akane said, noticing that her father seemed rather distracted. “What's wrong, dad?”
 
“I haven't seen Nabiki all day.” He looked around again. “Nabiki?” Akane followed her father into the front hallway. “I really want to meet this boyfriend of hers…”
 
“Why?” Akane was interested to see if there was gossip she'd missed, having been so distracted herself lately. “Do you think there's something wrong with him?”
 
“Oh!” Mr. Tendo seemed to notice suddenly that Akane was still there. “No… I mean… I don't know… He just seems to have appeared so suddenly…”
 
“And it's Nabiki.” Akane moved past her father to the pallet by the door. “So there must be some plot she's hatching; is that what you're thinking, dad?”
 
“Uh…” Her father didn't seem prepared to agree or disagree with Akane's summation of the situation. Much as he understood all his daughters' shortcomings - except Kasumi who had none - he was still their father, after all.
 
“Well, her shoes aren't here.” Akane poked through the pile by the door. “Shouldn't she be trying to help us get ready? It's her party, after all!”
 
A large panda bear waddled by them then, carrying some paper lanterns to string up in the garden in one hand and a wooden sign in the other, which read, “Nabiki went to look for her boyfriend.”
 
“Hi, Mr. Saotome!” Akane said, seeing the panda.
 
Unlike his son who only turned into a girl, Genma Saotome had not had the good fortune to fall into a cursed spring that transformed him into something human when splashed with cold water. Rather, like Ryoga the pig, Shampoo the cat and Mousse the duck, he became an animal. Unlike them, however, he seemed to prefer his panda form over his human form as it gave him convenient excuses for - well - just about form of rude, lazy or unsanitary behaviour.
 
“Saotome!” Mr. Tendo said, seeing his old friend and training partner. “Did Nabiki say when she'd be back?”
 
“When she was rich,” the next sign read as the panda fwipped it out of nowhere.
 
“Then she should be here right now!” Mr. Tendo lamented. “Oh, no!” He began to work himself into a state, tears streaming down his cheeks. “Where's my little Nabiki?! She's the richest one in the family! Something must have happened to her to keep her away from home!”
 
“Calm down, Tendo,” the Panda's sign now read.
 
“Dad!” Akane put an hand on her father's arm. “It'll be fine. I'm sure he's just running late at work and Nabiki is waiting for him. Let's go string up the lanterns.” Together, Akane and the panda guided her father into the garden.
 
Just as the sun went down, the Saotomes and Tendos, sans Nabiki and her boyfriend, stood in the garden and admired the festive look they'd created with lanterns and streamers.
 
“Ranma!” Akane turned to see Ranma sitting at the table already, pounding down a bowl of rice. His black pigtail bobbed between the shoulder blades of his red shirt as he gobbled down his food. “Can't you even wait until Nabiki gets here?”
 
“Nope.” Ranma didn't even stop.
 
“Let's eat then,” Kasumi said and they all moved through the open screen from the porch to the dining table, settling themselves onto the zabuton.
 
Just as everyone sat down and Kasumi started to serve what remained of the rice, they heard the front door slide open. Turning, they saw Nabiki enter, alone and looking supremely annoyed.
 
“Nabiki,” Akane said, seeing an expression on her sister's face she knew was not good. “What's wrong?”
 
“Jaku is late.” Nabiki crossed her arms over her chest. “I'm going to have to tell him that it's 100 yen per minute to keep me waiting.”
 
Ranma rolled his eyes and kept eating.
 
“Why would he pay you for being late?” Akane asked, deliberately reaching across Ranma's plate to grab the soy sauce, and skimming her arm against his shoulder. He pushed into her a little and she stifled a giggle. It had been almost fifteen minutes since they'd managed to `bump' into each other.
 
“Jaku is an incredibly successful businessman,” Nabiki managed to get her nose a little higher into the air as she dropped her arms and moved to sit next to her father at the table. “But he's new in Tokyo.” She took her bowl of rice from Kasumi. “He needs me to show him the ropes around here. I've already told him I won't show him how to operate the toilet in his apartment unless he gives me 25% of the profits from his newest business.”
 
“My, that seems rather-“ Mrs. Saotome, who was still somewhat new to the Tendo daughters, was at a loss for words.
 
“Mercenary?” Ranma said without missing a mouthful.
 
“That's why we're so good for each other,” Nabiki ignored Ranma. “He's a brilliant salesman and can sell rice to rice farmers, but he doesn't know anything about living in the city.” She took a bite and glanced at the ceiling with the chopsticks poised at her lips while she calculated her projected income. “I figure that by the time I've taught him to use all the appliances in his apartment, I'll have tripled my income over last month.”
 
“A relationship made in heaven,” Ranma whispered under his breath and Akane elbowed him.
 
“What's this young man's name?” Mr. Tendo asked.
 
“And what does he look like?” Kasumi added.
 
“Jaku Nakamura.” Nabiki looked bored. “He's very handsome, with long dark hair.”
 
“And what business is he in?” Mrs. Saotome queried as her husband the panda gnawed on bamboo shoots behind her. Being the only grown woman in the household, she felt it was her responsibility to look after the marriage prospects of Mr. Tendo's daughter - except for Akane who was already betrothed to her son, though couldn't honestly tell whether either of them truly liked that idea.
 
“Right now, he's managing a karaoke box, but he has major plans. He's already started a side business selling body parts.” She ate a pickled radish and started searching for something else to add to her plate among the steaming piles of food.
 
“Come again?” The panda's sign reflected the look on everyone's face at the table, including Ranma, who'd finally stopped eating to stare at her.
 
“What?” Nabiki realized that everyone was looking at her. “Not real bodies. Sheesh. You people think the weirdest things… He makes mannequin sculptures and sells them to department stores. It's amazing what he can do with twenty arms and legs to create a sock and glove display. He says it comes naturally to him. It's amazing to watch him work, like he's been combining bodies for ages to put together multi-limbed monsters.” She ate another pickle. “He's really an artist. You should see his creations. Each one sells for hundreds of thousands of yen to the big stores.”
 
“He's not bringing them with him tonight is he?” Kasumi looked concerned.
 
“I doubt it.” Nabiki said. “He said he had to run back to his home in the country today. I guess the train is late getting back.”
 
“Too bad the food will be gone,” the panda's sign read.
 
“It may be a long night,” Kasumi said. “I'll go make some more food.”
 
“I'll help you!” Akane started to rise.
 
“No!” everyone else yelled in unison, and the panda's sign read, “Somebody stop her!”
 
Ranma grabbed Akane by the bow at the back of her blue school uniform and sat her back down. Hard.
 
“Eat,” he said, and handed her a rice ball.
 
++++++++++++++++
 
InuYasha stood at the bottom of the well, frowning up at Kouga's butt as the wolf climbed out, a large sack of fresh fruits and vegetables on his back. The half-demon's nose twitched with the rich mix of smells now brewing in the well, having transported people back and forth between times all day long. One smell in particular bugged him, but he couldn't place it.
 
“I don't have time for this,” InuYasha growled and jumped straight up, landing by the door to the courtyard just as his companion's head broke the rim of the well.
 
“You're so full of yourself,” Kouga grumbled, climbing over the edge and hoisting his own bag with him. “You're gonna crash your head into the roof if you keep that up. This isn't like the other side where there's open forest.” Kouga looked warily up at the roof of the well house.
 
“No, mangy man,” InuYasha smirked. “That was you that crashed your head, remember? I've been doing this long enough I don't do that anymore.” InuYasha was enjoying showing Kouga the ropes in Kagome's world, even though it made him nervous to have the wolf prowling around Kagome herself. It was worth it, he'd decided, to see the wolf uncomfortable and ill at ease.
 
They walked with their burdens out to where Kaede and Kagome's mother, Mrs. Higurashi, were arranging food on large tables set out under the Go-Shinboku tree. Kohaku, Shippou and Souta were following instructions to arrange things and Jii-chan, Kagome's ancient grandfather, was hanging about making a nuisance of himself in an effort to catch Kaede's eye. The Shrine courtyard already had a festive feel, and the Hibachi hadn't even been fired up. It made InuYasha uneasy. He'd never been to a party before.
 
“InuYasha.” Kagome walked up to them as they set down their burdens. “Can you help me inside for a few minutes?” She smiled at InuYasha, who blushed a little as their eyes met.
 
“He's still got a pile of stuff Kaede wants him to bring over.” Kouga said to her, eyeing the way Kagome trailed a finger across the back of the half-demon's clawed hand, coaxing his fingers to meet hers, which they did just as his Demon Moon jumped out and tried to pounce on her. She sucked her breath in, as did Kouga when InuYasha's unseen excitement accidentally brushed his fellow canine. Kouga and InuYasha both blushed deep pink.
 
“Uh,” InuYasha cleared his throat and grabbed Kagome, dragging her towards the house. “What's the point of having a full-demon around if he can't cart bags?” InuYasha yelled back at Kouga's scowl as he pushed Kagome through the door. “Have fun with that, wolf-butt!” Hearing an irritated growl behind him, he gave a quick wave and disappeared through the door.
 
“You need help?” InuYasha asked as Kagome lead him into her room. He made sure the door was closed before wrapping his arms and his Demon Moon around her waist, “I need some help too, but it's more than we have time for, unfortunately.” He bent to kiss her and she gave her lips to him. They enjoyed a steamy kiss for a minute but when they broke apart, Kagome pushed him away a little distractedly, ignoring the little strokes of his Demon Moon on the backs of her thighs.
 
“I feel uneasy. Like something's going to go wrong tonight,” she looked worried and turned away.
 
InuYasha sat on the floor and crossed his arms, feeling a bit huffy at the rejection, which created the space for another irritation to come to the surface. “What could go wrong? We only have five demons and three five-hundred year-old people coming to dinner in downtown Tokyo.” He was edging close to an argument they'd been deliberately not having for the past few days. Even though he'd been slightly relieved that he wouldn't have to decide whether to become fully human or demon with the jewel, InuYasha still thought that using it to open the well permanently for everyone was a waste and probably a mistake. Just imagine what would happen if Sesshoumaru got through? He shuddered at the mere thought. He hadn't said any of this to Kagome yet because he really didn't want to fight with her. Ever since their afternoon in the park, when he thought about her for some reason, he just didn't feel fighting. He felt like doing other things.
 
“Oh.” She had that angry look in her eyes and he knew the argument was coming anyway. “So you think this is my fault, don't you?”
 
“Duh.” No use dancing around the truth… but then she got that `sit' look in her eyes, and he decided to try and be slightly more politic in his answer. He still wanted to get her back to the park, after all. “Kagome... you did make the wish…”
 
“I know!” She was mad at herself more than him now and stomped her foot as she brought her fists to her temple. “I'm so stupid!”
 
InuYasha didn't argue with her on this point, but continued on with his worries. “And I know demons. Once they get used to it around here, Kouga, Shippou - and anyone else that sneaks through is gonna go exploring. Pretty soon we're gonna be plucking Shippou off racks at the candy story and explaining to your little old lady neighbour why your funny looking cat sets her garden on fire.”
 
“Kirara… Oh! Shippou!” Kagome paled a little as she imagined the little kit running wild in the streets. “Oh, that's terrible. Maybe we should put him in school to keep him busy?”
 
InuYasha just stared at her. “School? The place you go?” He snorted. “Like that runt could learn anything.”
 
“You do okay,” Kagome came to stand over him, her hand on her hips. “You're only two years behind me in math now.”
 
InuYasha looked panicked suddenly, wishing he'd never asked her what was in that book. “You're not thinking of sending me to school are you?”
 
“Hm.” Realizing she had a temporary advantage, Kagome put a finger to her lower lip, rolling her eyes to the ceiling as if deep in thought. “That would be one way to keep you busy.”
 
“Don't even think about it!” He reached up to snag her wrist, pulling her down into his lap. Clamping his arms around her waist so she couldn't move, he looked at her seriously. “I think I'm gonna be busy enough trying to guard the well now.”
 
“And that wasn't what you wanted to be doing with your life, was it?” Kagome looked guiltily at him.
 
“Well, no…” He leaned back against her bed to take in her pretty face and felt his irritation drain away with another thought he'd been having lately. “But I really didn't have any plans. And there is an upside.” The feel of her warmth in his lap started to rouse his Demon Moon again and it moved up to trail down her back. He smiled as she straightened with a surprised little expression at its touch which he found very cute.
 
“What kind of upside?” She looked at him now, suspiciously.
 
“It means I'll be here. By the well.” His Demon Moon moved around her, encircling her waist along with his arms. “Near you.”
 
“Oh.” Kagome seemed to get it now and let a small smile tug at the corner of her mouth. “Yeah. I guess that won't leave you any time for Math classes, will it?”
 
“I don't need Math...” His Demon Moon was getting very frisky and pulling him towards her lips. Math was the last thing on his mind.
 
“InuYasha, we never talked about what we'd do if we got the jewel.” She looked away, causing his lips to skim her cheek and he sighed as she continued talking. “What did you want to do with it?” He pulled back, taking a deep breath and tried to control his Demon Moon. It's not a toy, Inu, he reminded himself, even as he recognized that he really, really wanted to play with it.
 
“Do with what? The jewel?” He blinked. “I never decided anything...” He didn't want to talk about this. What was done was done. “Did you?”
 
“No.” She looked at him briefly and then looked away. “I-“ Then she laughed, as though she had a secret.
 
“What's so funny?” InuYasha twitched an ear as he heard her heart beat speed up in her chest.
 
“I think I got my wish in the park… before we even got the jewel.” The grin on her face was mischievous and his Demon Moon responded, stroking her again, which made her smile even more. She didn't ignore it this time.
 
“Yeah, me too,” he said, realizing it was basically the truth. “So let's not worry about it now, okay?” He kissed her on the cheek and whispered into her ear, “Maybe we'll have to go back to the park again tomorrow…”
 
She giggled and squirmed. “Maybe… if I don't have too much homework…” But then she pushed his shoulders back a little and he let out an exaggerated sigh. She frowned at him. “I still don't feel quite right about tonight though.”
 
“Fine.” InuYasha said, suddenly seeing an escape route from the party. “I'll start guard duty tonight. You know how socially inept I am. I'll make a point of prowling around to make sure nothing weird comes or goes to your party.”
 
“Okay.” She smiled at him, looking relieved. “And I'll try to get my homework done so we can go back to the park.”
 
“Or, we could take your homework with us,” he said, remembering how their last visit had started out. He leaned forward and managed to catch her lips in a kiss. She responded, finally, lifting her hands to his face and kissing him back more passionately this time.
 
“Kagome!” Souta burst through her bedroom door and promptly blushed three shades of red at the sight before him. Shippou tumbled right after him, and both kids ended up sprawled on the ground at Kagome's feet as InuYasha let his forehead fall to her shoulder in frustration - his kiss thwarted one too many times. His ear accidentally tickled her nose and she blew a puff of air into it, causing him to jerk his head back out of her way so she could be angry.
 
“Souta! Shippou!” Kagome yelled as the boys cowered down in front of her, and InuYasha flattened his ears to his head, trying to reduce the volume of her voice in them. “Learn to knock!”
 
“Sorry!” They both said in unison. InuYasha hoisted her up and then rose to stand behind her, putting his fists on his hips to match her stern posture. But when the boys looked up to see Kagome's face red and angry, they saw a comical expression on InuYasha's face as he mimicked her behind her back, and they sniggered.
 
“What's so funny?” Kagome demanded of the two giggling boys.
 
“Nothing!” they said, again in unison, giggling madly. “But Momma wants you downstairs,” Souta managed to get out despite trying not to roll on the floor as InuYasha made another stupid face.
 
“Fine!” Kagome stomped out of the room and all three boys behind her busted up laughing. Finally when they caught their breath, Shippou scampered up InuYasha's red clothing to perch on his shoulder.
 
“What the heck's gotten into you, InuYasha?” Shippou turned to look at the back of the half-demon's head and grabbed one of his ears, tugging on it a little too hard. “You're head's still screwed on, but I don't think I've ever seen you laugh so much.” InuYasha batted the kit's tail puff away from his wrinkling nose.
 
“None of your business,” InuYasha growled without malice, picking the kit up by the tail and tossing him on the bed as he left. The two boys waited until he was gone down the stairs before they busted up again, literally rolling on Kagome's bedroom floor as they took turns pantomiming InuYasha and Kagome kissing each other.
 
Somehow it didn't seem so steamy in the retelling.
 
++++++++++++++
 
Miroku was the life of the party, strutting around in modern clothes that he seemed to think made him look good and everyone else found hilarious. He and Kagome's grandpa had become fast friends, comparing spiritual traditions and clothing and before they'd known it, Miroku had prowled through Jii-chan's closet to find what Kagome called `western clothes' including tight hakama with weird fittings in a strange plaid pattern that came up to his shins. The shirt he wore was similarly tight and spattered with polka dots, but too small for his powerful frame. Sango had let him wear the strange clothes, but complained privately to Kagome that her monk looked like an idiot. Kagome assured them that she was going shopping the next day to find him something more stylish that fit. He wanted to come, but she said no, she'd take Sango instead.
 
It was getting dark when the party was fully underway. Music was blaring out of Kagome's window from a boombox, paper lanterns hung from the go-shinboku tree, the hibachi was going and Mrs. Higurashi was passing out mouthwatering food with Kagome and Sango's help. Kagome's friends from school - who were sworn to secrecy - were chatting with Miroku, who kept his hands in his pockets, eyeing Sango often to make sure she noticed this fact. Ginta and Hakkaku kept trying to horn in on the conversation and Kirara had taken it upon herself to protect the girls, bumping the wolf-demons out of the way when they got too close. Jii-chan had escorted Kaede back to the feudal era to help her bring through some more of the highly flammable sake and people were starting to feel its effects just as the moon made its way above the treetops.
 
Miroku in particular seemed to have downed a bit too much sake, jumping around in his new clothes, telling amusing stories, and playing little jokes on Sango that made her blush. He was thoroughly entertaining everyone except Kouga, who prowled around the edge of the party, uneasy in this new place.
 
The wolf demon just couldn't relax. At first he thought maybe it was just the strange smells, but as he looked around, it occurred to him it could also be the weird looking buildings. Then, watching Miroku for a bit, he decided it was also probably the bizarre clothes everyone wore. The more he looked around the more weirdness he saw and the more uncomfortable he became. Then he looked at Kagome and realized he could probably feel at home here if he were with her. No doubt, that's why the mutt doesn't mind this place.
 
He kept watching Kagome as she helped her mother. He'd thought he could give up on her, thought it was best if she and dog-boy just admitted they were a pair. That's why he'd left. But being away from her was even harder than being with her and InuYasha. So he'd come back hoping maybe things had changed and the dog had screwed up and Kagome would welcome him with open arms. But it hadn't worked out that way. She was his now, pure and simple. She'd made her choice and when he saw them together, smelled her all over the dog, it pissed him off. Of course, he was just pissed off at a lot of things lately.
 
Kouga sat on his haunches just out of the lamplight and watched the humans having a good time, his eyes fixed on Kagome. He did think she was beautiful, but suddenly it occurred to him that it wasn't just Kagome, it was all these human women from the future. Kagome's three friends in their short skirts and sleeveless blouses would start to get him aroused if he wasn't careful. He'd never really noticed, but Sango was looking pretty sexy in a long, tight fitting dress that tied at her neck, exposing her back and bare arms. He shook his head a little bit, realizing that everywhere he looked he saw female flesh and liked it a whole lot! Even Kagome's mother looked good… Kouga scratched his ear and blinked. This place was weird, but maybe there was more worth exploring.
 
Just then he sniffed the mutt and caught the sound of him in the dark trees over by the well house. Looking at the gaily laughing group under the lantern lights, Kouga realized he hadn't seen dog-butt for a while. What's he up to? The wolf melted into the darkness and crept to the well house.
 
+++++++++++++
 
InuYasha had finished his third round of the grounds, sniffing everything and finding nothing. He caught glimpses of Miroku dancing around like an idiot and realized how lucky he was that the monk was so entertaining. Takes the pressure off me. InuYasha really was more comfortable prowling around, even though he didn't expect to find anything. He liked Kagome's family and everything, but large groups of people just made him uncomfortable for the most part. As he came to the well house, he smelled that funny scent again, the one he'd noticed earlier when they'd come through. It seemed familiar, and yet not. With so many people and items passing through the well, he kept putting the little nagging feeling aside that it was important, but here it was again. He moved around behind the building in a small clearing underneath the trees to where it was particularly strong, trying again to identify it. After a moment, he smelled another pungent odour that he did recognize.
 
“What are you doing here, wolf?” InuYasha's habitual bad temper when Kouga was around just naturally came forth.
 
“I came to ask you the same,” the demon materialized out of the darkness. “This is your home away from home, isn't it, scruffy? Why are you prowling around out here in the dark?”
 
“Hey, fleabag.” InuYasha never felt like explaining himself to Kouga, and here in modern times he felt like doing so even less. “Just because I know this place, doesn't mean I like hanging around with humans all the time.”
 
“Well, you sure as shit have gotten cozy with Kagome lately.” Kouga was irritated too, his tail flicking behind him, and InuYasha felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up at the tone in the wolf's voice as he sneered jealously, “Watching you two is making me sick!”
 
“Lay off, Kouga,” InuYasha let the beginnings of a growl sneak into his voice and he tensed his body in case the wolf wanted to get physical. “It's none of your business. It never has been, and it's especially not now.”
 
“No kidding. Three's definitely a crowd with you guys these days.” Kouga crossed his arms over his chest and stuck his nose in the air. “She's got your stink all over her. And for Kami's sake, keep your whimpy Demon Moon to yourself! Didn't your dad ever tell you how to keep that thing under control? You're gonna get us all into trouble with it if you don't keep it in your pants.” Kouga let a little threatening snarl come into his voice, along with a taunting tone. “Besides, I'm more sensitive to it than the others, and something tells me that I'm the last one you want to turn on with that thing.”
 
“Listen, asshole!” InuYasha felt a blush spread on his cheeks to accompany the surge of embarrassed anger at Kouga's scolding about his errant Demon Moon, which he'd only discovered a week ago and which he had to admit seemed to have been frequently getting out of control ever since. Luckily it was dark and Kouga couldn't see the color on his cheeks. “My dad didn't teach me squat! If you have something to say, just say it!”
 
“It's not that complicated, dog-breath. Just don't get excited, that's all.” Kouga's face was hidden in shadow, but somehow InuYasha sensed a cruel grin on his face.
 
“Like that's helpful.” InuYasha grumped. “You have no idea how unhelpful that is. I can't even be around Kagome without the damn thing trying to come out and play now that… well… now that it's… uh… ”
 
“Been `out to play' once already?” Kouga's didn't even make an effort to hide his jealousy. “Oh, yes I do know,” Kouga sounded annoyed again. “The whole time you were blowing off Kagome to chase Kikyou and the spider webs, she rode me and we hung out together. I know how hard it is…” He seemed to think back on how hard it was with Kagome riding on his back, getting lost in the memory. Rousing himself at InuYasha's growl, Kouga puffed himself up again. “And mine's a lot stronger than yours, because I'm full, one hundred percent demon!”
“Fine!” InuYasha was still glowing bright red under the cover of dark, but he really wanted to know if there was a secret to controlling his Demon Moon. “Then how do you keep your demonic libido under control?”
 
Kouga laughed, but didn't say anything. InuYasha heard a shuffling of feet.
 
“You DO have one, right?” The half-demon sensed an advantage.
 
“Of course, I've got one!” Kouga sounded too indignant.
 
“Tell me you've used it on a girl before.” InuYasha's blush had been replaced by a wicked smirk the wolf couldn't see, but definitely heard.
 
“Well…” all the confidence had left Kouga's voice. “Not exactly.”
 
“Yes!” InuYasha pumped his fist in a reflexive little victory motion. “I knew you were full of hot air.”
 
“Shut up.” Kouga turned away. “I did get close recently… ”InuYasha realized the wolf's backing down was significant and maybe he better not rub it in too much.
 
“So now we know how you control your Demon Moon.” So much for not rubbing it in. “You just can't find a girl that wants it!” InuYasha started to laugh uncontrollably.
 
Kouga turned to him and growled, but his tail hung limply, not ready for a fight. InuYasha got control of himself. “Listen, Kouga. Once you find another wolf pack, there'll be lots of pretty wolf-girls for you to choose from.”
 
“Ha!” came a cynical bark. “My pack's gone, dog face. I'm a lone wolf now. I got no pack. And no,” he said, before InuYasha even opened his mouth, “Ginta and Hakkaku don't count as my `pack.' Wolf Packs have girls in them.” He scratched his head and looked back at where the party was still going on. “And besides,” he tossed his head as though to clear it, “hanging around with you guys made me start to appreciate humans... human women anyway.” He scratched his ear and said as though in passing, “I've stopped eating them, you know.”
 
“Oh shit.” InuYasha put his hands on his hips. “No. Kouga.” He shook his head. “Don't go there. Not eating humans and actually having a human girl are two totally different things.” Trying to sound like he had Kouga's best interests in mind, he said, “Trust me. You so don't want to go there.”
 
“Why the hell not?” Kouga faced him, sounding suspiciously like he didn't believe InuYasha was trying to `help' him. “You don't seem to have any trouble with them.”
 
“Me?” InuYasha looked surprised. “What you don't know… I'm half human, remember? I'm crazy about Kagome, but let me tell you, she can be a friggin' pain in the butt. And she's so delicate. It's like holding a baby bird all the time. You'd kill a human girl just trying to kiss her! Just go find yourself a rough-and-tumble girl wolf and have a litter of cubs and have fun.”
 
Kouga gave him a sour look. “Easy for you to say. What you don't know about wolf-girls,” Kouga said darkly, remembering a particularly difficult wolf-girl, he scratched his ear again. “They'll bite your ear off if they get too excited. I'm kind of thinking a rough-and-tumble human girl might be just right.”
 
InuYasha just shook his head, thankful that Kagome probably wasn't rough-and-tumble enough for the wolf, but he kept his mouth shut. Having established a new bond of sorts, the two just stared at each other for a minute, not knowing what to say. Luckily, neither of them had to say anything because they both picked up on a new scent and fell together into a crouch against the shadowed wall of the well house.
 
“I know that scent!” InuYasha muttered to himself, smelling it now more strongly.
 
“Me too…” Kouga whispered next to his ear so quietly the half demon could barely hear. “It smells like Naraku. I thought you said he was dead!”
 
“He is!” InuYasha hissed at him before thinking, stung by the wolf's insinuation that his nose wasn't working quite right. But as soon as opened his mouth, he knew Kouga was right, which pissed him off even more.
 
“It's human, but there's definitely some Naraku in there.” Kouga's breath was hot on his neck and InuYasha swiped his claws behind him to get the wolf to back off, which he did.
 
They waited quietly for a moment, listening to someone leave the well house from the inside, moving along the other side of the building, and then disappearing into the bushes. Creeping together on all fours they snuck silently out through the darkened woods and trailed a figure down the forested hill, paralleling the steep steps to the street, where the lights shone brightly on cars whizzing by them. The lights brought the two feudal era demon spawn up short behind a bush. InuYasha crouched in the dark, watching the figure move through the shadows alongside the sidewalk. He turned to find Kouga on all fours behind him, eyes fixed on the cars zooming only feet away from their hiding place.
 
“What are those things?” Kouga's eyes were wide and InuYasha detected the smell of sweat. “Monsters?”
 
“No.” InuYasha went back to watching the human. “They're cars. People ride in them… kinda like metal horses.”
 
“Think I could catch one?” Kouga started eyeing the vehicles as they approached, targeting one and then the other, ready to leap out at one. InuYasha rolled his eyes. Am I gonna have to explain everything to this moron?
 
“No, idiot!” He whispered. “They're not real horses, and they can't smell you, so don't get in their way.”
 
InuYasha leaned forward as the man broke from the shadows and they saw a tall human in modern dress and long black hair step casually out on to the street to saunter away. They couldn't see his face very clearly, but his hair was familiar, long and wavy down his back. Kouga kept darting his eyes over to look at the large metal contraptions speeding around town, before looking back at the stranger.
 
“Is that Naraku?” Kouga said finally, glancing at InuYasha who looked equally puzzled.
 
“Whoever it is, he sure as hell shouldn't be sneaking out of the well and into the streets of Tokyo.” InuYasha said. “You stay here. I'm gonna trail him.”
 
“I'm coming too!” Kouga tensed, ready to defend his right to track this strange creature, one who apparently had visited his home uninvited.
 
“You don't know the first thing about this place!” InuYasha was really annoyed. “You'll screw up for sure and get us caught.”
 
“No I won't!” Kouga's tail twitched.
 
“Yes you will!” If InuYasha had had a tail, his would have twitched too.
 
“Now you're letting him get away!” Kouga, gritted his teeth, gave a nervous glance to the cars and launched himself out onto the street, his tail and wolf pelt loincloth flapping as he ran at full speed.
 
“Shit!” InuYasha said and headed out after his clueless friend, dodging vehicles right and left as he moved across the street and launched himself skyward. “Idiot!” Kouga heard his bark from above and looked up. “Get your butt up here!” Kouga saw a flash of dusky red running along several stories above his head before he was temporarily blinded by a street light glaring down on him and felt a metal monster swerve just a hair too close.
 
“Oh.” He said under his breath, blinking the dots from his eyes. When he could see again, the wolf launched himself up to land in front of the red clad flash of motion. “I get it.”
 
“Outta my way,” InuYasha sped past him leaving Kouga growling in his wake.
 
To be continued…