Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Hearts ❯ Clarity ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Crystal Hearts
By Esor

Chapter 1: Clarity

It was a warm, spring day. The sun was shining brightly in the cloudless blue sky. The sweet fragrance of wild flowers in bloom was carried on the cool breeze. The sounds of birds singing cheerfully rang through the open air. This was the type of day that seemed just perfect for taking a long, leisurely stroll with that special someone in your life. This fact was not lost on Ryoga Hibiki, who walked alone along the scenic country road.

He glanced over his shoulder, back in the direction he had just come from. Maybe it's not too late, he thought. Maybe he could still go back. Maybe Akari would still be there, waiting for him. He shook his head, dispelling those thoughts, and began walking again. He couldn't go back. Not to the farm. Not to the pigs. He just couldn't. He had tried to make it work for over a year now, and for a while it almost did. But the more time he spent with Akari, the more he realized just how much her life revolved around pigs. It wasn't just about her family's sumo pig farm, it was nearly all she talked about, all she thought about. And Ryoga utterly detested pigs.

Of course it seemed great at first. Here was a woman who absolutely loved pigs. The one thing that Ryoga hated most about himself was his curse. Changing into a small black piglet when splashed by cold water wasn't a trait that many women looked for when choosing a boyfriend. But Akari didn't mind. In fact, she seemed to love him even more because of it. And that was the core of the problem. It wasn't just the fact that Ryoga hated pigs that drove him away, because he could have eventually gotten over that. It was the realization that Akari loved him more for what he was, not who he was. Anytime he even mentioned the idea of finding a cure for himself, she would immediately tell him that she loved him just the way he was and then try to distract him with something else, usually involving the pigs on the farm. Ryoga thought it was almost as if she didn't want him to be cured, but ignored that suspicion as soon as it arose. But then, several weeks ago, Akari proposed the idea that Ryoga use his cursed form to help train the other pigs. That was something he refused to do, yet she continued to bring the topic up, repeatedly.

Earlier that day, Ryoga told Akari it was over between them. It was one of the hardest things he had ever done, but it was necessary. Ryoga knew that he could never be happy there, and remaining with her would only cause them both pain. She needed someone who could be willing to dedicate their entire life to pigs, and he needed someone who could love him for himself. She cried and begged him to stay, but he refused. With a heavy heart, he shouldered his backpack and left the Unryuu farm. Now he traveled with no particular destination in mind. The only other place he had spent that much time in was Nerima. Absently, he looked up at the sky and wondered how everyone there was doing.

*****

Morning. It was usually Ukyo Kounji's favorite time of the day. Usually, she loved mornings. She loved to wake up to the sight of the sun's rays beaming through her window. She loved the smell of cooking okonomiyaki as she made breakfast for herself and Konatsu. Each morning was a new beginning, filled with new possibilities. This morning, however, would prove that those new possibilities weren't always good.

Ukyo awoke early this morning, just like every day. She showered, dressed, and headed downstairs to fix breakfast, just like every day. And, just like everyday, she expected Konatsu to come down and join her. They would eat, open up Ucchan's for the breakfast crowd, and then she would leave for school while he ran the restaurant until she came back in the afternoon. But after waiting for half an hour, Ukyo became worried. Konatsu was never this late for breakfast. More often than not he was up earlier than she was, waiting for her instead of the other way around. Thinking that he might be sick, she headed upstairs.

"Konatsu?" Ukyo said, knocking on his door. After receiving no response from him, she knocked again. "It's me, Ukyo. Are you okay?"

When there was still no reply, Ukyo opened the door and gasped at what she saw. The room was empty. Everything that Konatsu owned, even though it wasn't much, was gone. The only thing he left in the room was a note lying on the bed. Ukyo walked over and picked it up with a trembling hand.

"Dear Ukyo, I'm sorry, but I can't do this. My heart can't take it anymore. I love you, Ukyo. And I hoped that one day you would return that love. But it has become painfully obvious that you will never see me as anything other than a friend. That is why I can no longer work at Ucchan's. You ran the restaurant well before I arrived, and I have no doubt that you will run it well after I depart. I bear you no hard feelings Ukyo. You had no control over falling for Ranma, just as I had no control over falling for you. I only hope that someday you'll find the happiness that you deserve. Love, Konatsu."

Ukyo sat down on the bed, dumbfounded. Konatsu was gone, possibly forever. He had been acting strange the past few days, but she had no idea he would end up doing something like this. She couldn't believe it. After a few minutes, she stood up and looked around the room. Konatsu was gone, she told herself again. She would have to adapt to this. She was Ukyo Kounji. When an unexpected problem came up, that was what she did. She adapted and remained in control of the situation, and herself, no matter how upset she might be on the inside. Slowly, she walked toward the door. Just before leaving, she looked back one last time at the empty room. Wherever Konatsu was, she hoped he was okay. He was still her friend, and to be honest, she didn't really have that many. Then she turned and left, softly closing the door behind her.

*****

The door opened, ringing a tiny bell attached to the frame. Ryoga walked in, hoping that there would be someone who could tell him where he was at the moment. At some point, his scenic country road had become a bustling city street. According to the map he had brought with him, the road he had been traveling on should not have taken him within ten miles of any large cities. So he figured it would be best to ask someone else for directions.

Glancing around, Ryoga noted that he was in what appeared to be a jewelry store, but it seemed to be empty at the moment. He was just about to leave when he heard noises coming from the back of the store. Someone called out for help, and the sounds of a struggle followed. Ryoga's innate sense of justice kicked in, and he leapt over the counter without a second thought.

In the back of the store, Ryoga saw an elderly man who he assumed to be the store keeper, being slammed against the wall by a large, well muscled, man dressed in black. Another shorter man with a thin build, also dressed in black, was rummaging through a few crates off to the side.

"Let him go." Ryoga said, in a menacing voice.

"Who the hell are you?" The shorter man said. "Listen kid, I think you'd better mind your own damn business before you get hurt."

Ryoga simply glared at the man and repeated his request. "Let him go. Now."

"Your funeral, kid." The thin man said with a shrug before launching a roundhouse kick at Ryoga's head.

Ryoga did not move. He reached his up and caught the man's leg with his hand in mid flight. With a flick of the wrist, Ryoga tossed the man on his back. With a grunt, the man stood again and threw himself at Ryoga, punching and kicking. The man was quick, Ryoga could admit, but his martial arts training was rudimentary at best. His attacks were reckless, and he left gaping holes in his defense. Ryoga took advantage of one of those holes to deliver a single crushing blow to the man's face. The man's now broken nose gushed blood as he toppled over.

The larger man, who hadn't moved while his partner dealt with this intruder, was now livid with rage. He dropped the older man and moved to attack Ryoga himself. Unlike his previous opponent, Ryoga could see that this man held much more than a basic grasp of martial arts techniques. Combined with his obvious strength, he would have even been a force to be reckoned with to any normal person. But Ryoga wasn't any normal person. Decades of dedicated training had made Ryoga one of the most skilled martial artists in Japan, if not the world. He dodged the man's attacks with ease, allowing none of the strikes to land. Then he kneed the man in the stomach, causing him to double over in pain. Ryoga grabbed the man by the shirt and, with one hand, lifted him into the air and threw him out of the door. The smaller man had regained consciousness by this point and, clutching his still bleeding nose, ran out of the door behind his companion.

After watching the two would be thieves flee with a smirk on his face, Ryoga helped the old man up.

"Are you all right, sir?" He asked politely.

"I am, thanks to you." The old man replied. "Those punks would have probably stolen everything if you hadn't arrived."

"I'm glad to help. By the way, can you tell me where I am?" Ryoga asked.

The old man looked slightly puzzled by Ryoga's question. "You're in Osaka, son."

"Thank you very much, sir." Ryoga said before turning to leave.

The old man stopped him, however. "Wait just a moment, young man. You deserve some type of reward for saving me back there."

"Don't worry about it. I was just doing the right thing."

"Nonsense. You don't find too many people like you around nowadays." The old man reached into one of the crates that hadn't been searched by the robbers. "I insist." He pulled out a small crystal pendant, shaped like a teardrop and about the size of Ryoga's thumb. "It's the least I can do."

Ryoga thanked the old man and took the pendant. As he looked at it, a strange shiver ran up his spine. There was something about this pendant. Something strange that he couldn't quite put his finger on. For a brief second his hand tingled slightly. Almost as if the pendant were giving off some kind faint energy. But the feeling passed quickly, and Ryoga shrugged it off. Placing the crystal pendant in his backpack, Ryoga thanked the man once more and promptly walked into a closet. Ryoga emerged from the closet, laughing nervously, and this time the storekeeper walked him to the front door of the building.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

Author's notes:

There it is! The first chapter of Crystal Hearts, my contribution to the world of Ryoga/Ukyo fanfiction! I've read tons of the stuff, and finally decided to write one of my own. Hopefully, I didn't unconsciously rip off too many other authors... ^_^ If you have any comments or suggestions, send them to me at Esor8382@aol.com. But remember that I'm still an amateur writer, so please don't tear my work apart too much. In the next chapter, Ryoga finally returns to Nerima. See ya then!