Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Featherbrite's Tale ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
FEATHERBRITE'S TALE
Chapter 2: Annoying New Challenge (ANC again)
or... "Wings Over Nerima"

Situation, spin, char interp by Gregg Sharp
Based on original char by other people, primarily Rumiko Takahashi for the "Ranma 1/2" cast.

"This is such a strange school. Do they even make students study?" -Ryoko Mitsurugi

"The meaning of life? That's simple, boy. Life is what happens while we are making other plans." - O.W. Kenobi

"Nerima District in Tokyo Japan is one of several world-wide 'hot-spots' of Chaos. Possibly because it is reclaimed swampland and swamps are typically associated with Chaos. There are worse places for weird happenings, but most of those are tucked in out of the way places like in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Great Dismal Swamp, or out over water like the Bermuda Triangle. Nerima is disputedly even worse than New York." - Venkmann's Guide To The Supernatural.

-------

"School?" Ranma shuddered. His father had gotten fairly nasty earlier about time spent away from martial arts training, so now being all but shoved out the door to go to school just seemed to be more of his father's doublespeak at work. There were also the schools his father had chosen for him in the past - reform schools and the like where fits of extreme violence were more the rule than the exception.

"You're going to the same school as Akane and me, I'll meet you there." The shock had worn off, and now Nabiki was feeling serious doubts. Ranma's splash in the pond this morning had convinced her that the last evening was NOT a dream.

Yesterday morning, magic had been the stuff of empty headed people's fantasies, a convenient mechanism in manga, foolish dreams born of the desire that life not be the dog-eat-dog world that Nabiki knew it was. Yesterday morning, and every morning before that, Nabiki had well known that there was no magic, no miracles, nothing beyond the rational world.

Today magic was looking rather sullenly at her as she prepared to leave him behind and go meet with her factors.

Nabiki walked quickly from the house, putting distance between her and the impossible. She'd seen it, but it couldn't be. It could NOT be. Changing forms, he violated conservation of mass without even considering where the energy for the process came from! Flying in that faerie form had no regard for such factors as gravity or inertia. Making that cup come together as if it had never been broken?

It was all impossible. It couldn't be done. She'd seen it last night, and then saw almost everything again the very next morning. Nabiki shook slightly as she ran, not even realizing that she was running away in more than meaning of the term.

------

Ranma watched sadly, seeing the fear and confusion swirling around his erstwhile iinazuke. He'd mishandled the situation, gone too fast, he now realized. With his father and Nabiki's father pushing for a fast engagement and marriage, they'd likely push any chance for that eventuality out the door.

Ranma sighed and gathered his things, putting his flute within the case that Kasumi had handed him. Thanking her for the kindness, he waited for Akane to show him the way to school.

Though maybe it would be better if he could just avoid the whole thing altogether. Hey, maybe he could just follow Nabiki at a distance. It would give him a better chance to see exactly what kind of reform school his father had chosen this time.

------China----

"(I really wish I could see you,)" Shampoo noted to her invisible companion. "(Great Grandmother told me that I should open my mind, try to see with my mind or my heart and not my eyes. Now if she had just told me HOW I'm supposed to do this.)"

Featherbrite sat on the Amazon's head and smiled. Without knowing why, Shampoo had gone into a long-distance loping run that she could maintain for hours at a time. Also without it really registering on the warrior's mind, she had taken each branch and turn that would eventually lead her to Ranma.

There was communication, and then there was communication. Since the Amazon could neither see nor hear her companion, the companion was using other methods to get to know the Amazon and lead her to Ranma. A few passes of enchantment, and subtle nudges got the bouncy young girl into a thoughtful and talkative mood.

Featherbrite listened to the girl's story during the periods where Shampoo was walking, and found that the barbarian princess was not as simple as she appeared. The faerie continued to "tweak" a few things, and Shampoo found herself relating major events in her life to the invisible companion. All the while, Featherbrite tried to remove the amazon's uneasiness towards her- the result of faerie not precisely being of the world that Shampoo's senses were so
highly tuned to. Shampoo was not as prone to anger as others were, though fear and anger were the most frequent responses to the faerie presence. With Shampoo, nervousness if not actual fear seemed to be the result.

Years of being around humans had taught Featherbrite how to damp the effect, and usually this just manifested as a sense of something out of place.

Shampoo found herself in a circle of toadstools after six hours of her pace, yawning and wondering why this felt like such a good place to take a nap.

--------Japan-------

Nabiki sulked as Ranma arrived less than three minutes after she had.

His reaction to the largely untrained masses had been to give them a wide berth.

Ah, here came Akane. Wonderful. Large crowd attacking her - check. Akane beating them left and right. Check. Kuno showing up after Akane's "warm up" - check. Kuno not even using half his usual skill, much less any special manuevers - check. Akane pummelling Kuno - check.

Honestly, it was a measure of the moron. First issuing that challenge, then not fighting to the best of his ability?

The school bell rang. Akane started running. Nabiki merely shook her head as she left her window seat to go to her desk. Normally she might ask the teacher for permission to take Kuno to the nurse - as he was still unconscious and within sight from the window. Today she just had too much to think about to bother with morons.

Ah, here came Kuno. Acting as if nothing were out of the ordinary.

Well as far as anyone knew, nothing *was* out of the ordinary and Nabiki wasn't ready to break the news of her engagement. Not until she was sure what she thought of it herself.

-------

Ranma had observed the parade of idiots and wondered what was going on. From the occasional comment, he'd gathered it was something to do with Akane. Well, as the fisherfolk would say "whatever floated her boat."

He'd heard of girls who liked things rough. He still wasn't sure what that *meant* but he'd heard it back when he was in middle school.

Instead he had spent time with the principal, then shown the classroom.

Typical set-up. For a Japanese class, that is. Schooling had been a little haphazard and on that one Marine base they'd handled things a lot differently. The teacher would write the newbie's name on the board, the newbie introduces himself, followed by a generic sort of comment like "let's do our best" or "pleased to meet you" or "I hope we can all be friends" or some usually empty phrase like that.

"Mister Saotome here just came from China, so let's give him a big 'ni hao' welcome," said the teacher, sounding as bored as was humanly possible with this set of rituals.

Ranma quickly found his way to the appropriate seat, checked his books, and wondered if this class was going to be as mind-bogglingly boring as it looked to be.

The door slid open and Akane dashed in.

"Akane Tendo. Late. Buckets. Hall." Same bored monotone.

Ranma let out a deep breath and tried to focus on the class. Unfortunately it seemed to be just as boring as he'd feared and dealing with English. Which was fine, in and of itself, it was just that this particular one seemed based on one of those '70s textbooks where non-English speakers were being hired as English "experts" (they were gaijin after all) by the school system. If you'd actually spent time with English speakers, getting immersed in the language, you learned how much of this stuff was actually pure garbage.

Because it was what was taught, you had to learn it well enough to score well on the tests. Then you had to forget this stuff because it *was* useless garbage. Heck if you used some of these phrases in casual conversation - you could find yourself dealing with a squad of Marines wanting to kick your behind. And while Ranma had confidence in his martial arts skills, he had learned a long time ago several valuable lessons. Among them were:
1) In Scotland, guys who wore dresses were not wimps or girly men. Not all of them anyway.
2) In Saudi Arabia, *always* keep an eye on your backpack. Scorpions were not the only thing that could get in there.
3) An expert martial artist can beat one Marine if everything else is equal. The problem is that the typical US Marine is neither alone nor interested in keeping everything else equal.
4) Never ever EVER push the red button. Bad juju.

Actually Ranma had been accumulating rules like that for some time. One of his favorites nowadays was "Do not go to the faerie for answer, because they won't give you a straight answer anyway." Featherbrite didn't appreciate that one. Didn't dispute it, but didn't appreciate it either.

"Ah, Akane Tendo! You are here for me!"

"Shut up and go away, Kuno! You're responsible for me being out here!"

"My love!"

"Let. Go. Of. Me."

"Alas, I must not tarry here, for thy mercenary wench of a sister did tell me of the villainous Saotome!"

Everyone in class looked towards Ranma. Ranma yawned.

"It's not true! He's just staying there while he's engaged to Nabiki!"

Everyone, including the teacher, stared at Ranma. Ranma rolled his eyes.

"How dare the scoundrel stay under the same roof as the pure and tidy Akane Tendo! I shall smite him high! I shall strike him low! I shall... Nabiki Tendo you say?"

"Yes! Our fathers decided, it was-"

Kuno interrupted. "Nabiki Tendo, the very soulless mercenary wannabe Yakuza who shares your last name but neither your pure beauty nor charm?"

"Yes," agreed Akane's voice. "According to our fathers-"

Kuno interrupted again. "So. I see. Sorrows, Akane, for I see that I must think upon this further. Mayhap I have sympathy for the poor wretch and shall forego this battle. For if he doth find himself engaged to Nabiki Tendo, he hath enough problems."

"Engaged to Nabiki Tendo?" One of the students in Ranma's class held a hand over his heart. "Man, my condolences to your life savings."

"Man, she's so frigid you're gonna freeze yer #%!@$ off," said another.

"Hiroshi, you are *such* a putz," said a young lady, rapping this last boy over the head.

Ranma wondered why so many people were eyeing him with such sympathy. Even the teacher?!

---------

Tatewaki Kuno went back to his position outside his own classroom. Verily for he didst need ponder these events.

Nabiki Tendo had been asked of the somewhat disreputable fellow who had shown up at the school gates that very morning, wearing such pedestrian garb. She had replied upon receiving from her petitioner the requisite monies that said boorish commoner was in fact their house guest, and was there upon the matter of an arranged marriage.

Naturally the Blue Thunder had realized that if a man did have any taste whatsoever - the choices were but two. For in his first year attending this institution, a senior of surpassing beauty and grace had been the one known as Kasumi Tendo. Alas for the culture that did state twas unseemly for a younger man and an older woman, though it was also true there was no fire within the woman to spark his own passions. That left the young tigress, the glory that was Akane Tendo. How could any man call himself a man and yet not desire her?

For any man to choose Nabiki Tendo was unthinkable. Therefore this Ranma Saotome had not been given a choice.

Indeed. Nabiki Tendo was somewhat fair to look upon, yet like the poisonous serpent - it was not long in seeing that she had no qualities that would not be used solely to harm anyone she attached herself to.

For Nabiki Tendo's reputation was well known. Honeyed words might slip from her lips, yet always were her thoughts on matters of making a quick buck. She would sell anything, given the right price, would she not?

But no. It was rumored that she regularly forayed into normal human activities for one of her gender. Could she be legitimate in this? Could the icequeen mercenary witch of Furinkan be evincing these normal human emotions? Could even such a vile moneyphile show a kind face to her fiance?

Kuno could hardly credit it. Which meant...

His bokken came out. Which meant that the mercenary had engaged herself to this Saotome, so that he would eventually tire of her vile ways and be drawn to the sweet honey of her sister Akane - and no doubt wouldst have to pay to have the engagement switched! Of course! How could he not have seen it afore?

He would have to smite this fellow now before the engagement could be switched!

-----------

Faerie:

Faerie tended to look and act differently from breed to breed, but mainly were aligned in one of two groups. Sidhe or UnSidhe.

Featherbrite, for example, was a pixie of the Cor Mai Tal tribe. Her type of pixies had dragonfly wings and were usually shades of pale yellow in color. Most did not wear much in the way of garments. Cor Mai Tal were wind pixies, and in the hierarchy of the Sidhe were among the more stable - their area of influence were primarily small breezes and whirlwinds. They looked mainly like humans that had been stretched very thin, and ranged from six inches to eighteen inches in height. For a Cor Mai Tal pixie, life was mainly dancing along straight lines, bringing light breezes and occasionally acting to herald a storm sprite or other weather change. Pixies, as a rule, were not considered terribly powerful. Sneaky, mischievous, tricky, and very good at hiding - but not powerful.

Elves were typically of the Sidhe as well. Or at least most of them.

Golderon was not like most elves. He was a prince, related to Oberon himself, and he was as bad as an elf can get - which is pretty bad indeed.

Looking mainly human, though thin and short, he was marked by thousands of years of casual cruelty. It being the nature of faerie to wear their nature outwardly, some concealed their badness through glamourie. Golderon didn't bother for he was openly of the UnSidhe and banned from the Faerie Court.

There was no love lost between Golderon and Oberon. Oberon well knew that Golderon was continually working to increase his power and eventually challenge the current rule. Golderon knew that Oberon was openly of the Sidhe and secretly of the UnSidhe.

Golderon frowned at his subordinates. "The mortal. Where is he?"

"Back in the mortal plane, milord. As soon as the forces were gathered, they struck at his signal and the witch and her minions were struck down." The bog imp made no attempt to look up at his lord. You could get squished for such things.

"He has set my plans behind. I will not tolerate this." Golderon looked at the slithering and slimy hordes around him. They cringed at his gaze. "He is merely a changeling. A mortal. I want him dealt with. Is this clear?"

"What of the pixie? Bri'te has some friends among the Sidhe," pointed out a tentacle-faced humanoid.

"Eat her." Golderon considered briefly. "Literally if you can manage it."

---------

Featherbrite looked over the sleeping Amazon that she had brought here and decided how best to do this. She wanted to get this woman warrior to Ranma as soon as possible, but the ships making the journey were all steel and iron (shudder) and Shampoo couldn't swim that sort of distance. Shampoo's experience with swimming so far had been restricted to mountain streams.

Featherbrite had gotten to know the Amazon over the past few hours, and as this was the first girl who had ever shown any interest in Ranma, Featherbrite wanted this to go right. This was a major step in separating Ranma (her friend) from his father (nasty stupid brute) and in Ranma's maturity. She'd read a book on the subject once. While it hadn't made a whole lot of sense to the faerie, the bits about dating and sex had struck her as being fascinating.

No doubt the transformation from boy to man was something mystical triggered by such behavior.

Featherbrite grabbed a few nuts and berries that would have fascinated a botanist, then fed the sleeping amazon. An application of Will and thousands of years of experience were enough, otherwise Shampoo would never have been able to leave the Faerie Realm.

Featherbrite continued to concentrate as Shampoo shuddered in her sleep and began to shrink. Her clothes, of course, remained the same size. Featherbrite murmurred a few soothing words into the girl's ear. A battle of wills now would have been disastrous, but this was the fastest method the faerie could think of getting Shampoo to where Ranma was.

Besides, Featherbrite had plans involving the Amazon. She had promised Ranma not to make further alterations in HIM without prior consent. Meddling was just one of those things a faerie had to do. It was basic nature. Unlike the Unseelie Court, a bog fairy or the like, Featherbrite wasn't cruel in nature. Making a little adjustment here or there so that the Amazon would have fun, enjoy life, and not take things quite so seriously... why that was in her best interest after all!

The faerie looked over the transformed Amazon, nodding. It wasn't perfect, but it was only supposed to last until the next sunset anyway.

At least that part of the _physical_ transformation was.

Featherbrite considered the purple haired girl briefly.

"Bri'te! Oh what have we got here?!" Holly the hamadryad faded into view from a nearby tree. "Work in progress?"

"Work in progress," agreed Featherbrite.

Holly considered. "Fixing her up with that changeling of yours?"

"Possibly," agreed Featherbrite.

Holly got a naughty expression on her face, something that a lot of faerie did anyway. "Hmmm. Let's see what we can do here and there then."

"She's a warrior of her people," explained Featherbrite. "Not much in the way of magical defenses."

"Well, if she's some kind of warrior, we don't want to mess that up," agreed Holly.

"I've read some of their literature," said Featherbrite. "Ranma would be considered a Bard and this girl would be considered a Warrior. There are these stories about adventurers like we used to have around the place, but nowadays they have these specific roles that they fulfill. Bards know magic and music and fighting and lore - which was pretty much how Ranma was turning out before I read the stuff. Warriors mainly know how to fight. Then there's these 'Ranger' things. She might make a good 'Ranger' - she's some kind of tribal princess as I understand."

Holly considered the peculiar emphasis on the words. "Oooo. A princess, you say? Haven't had one of those around in *quite* a long time. Need to contact the local Princess though. One of those royalty things."

Featherbrite sighed. So much for getting this done quickly.

--------

Japan:

"It's horrible, Tendo, just horrible," Genma blubbered into his beer.

"There, there, Saotome. It isn't that bad."

Kasumi sighed and made a note to put an extra layer of weatherproofing down on the wooden floors in the common room. Between Mister Saotome's drool, hair, and her own father's tears - she had to protect against the floor warping.

"So he's a bit of a wimp," continued Soun, "you said yourself he'd learned some special manuevers that had been impressive."

"Only on the face of them. They're all flash and no depth. Oh, the shame of it." Genma took a long pull of his beer, making a face because it seemed watered down.

"What a shame." Soun admitted privately that perhaps if Ranma wasn't quite like his father, that might be just as well.

"So true, Tendo, so true." Genma considered the possibility. "Well, perhaps your daughter might produce a worthy heir?"

"My thought exactly, Saotome!" Tendo beamed at the thought of becoming a grandfather.

"Do you still have it?" Genma asked slyly.

Soun smirked. "Is there any doubt?"

Kasumi's usual cheer didn't falter, she merely scheduled her grocery trip as soon as she saw the karaoke equipment being set up.

--------

Faerie:

Shampoo twitched in her sleep. She was not only a champion of her people, she was a princess. A warrior princess. Yes. Funny she'd never thought of it that way before.

Naturally as a warrior princess, she had to have poise and dignity. She had to have some sort of Gift to mark herself as royalty too. What kind of Gift should she have?

Talking to animals? Well, that might be handy, but it wouldn't do to get too cozy with animals because then you'd likely have to give up eating meat. It would just seem wrong to have long conversations with your next meal.

Turning into a swan? Hardly! She was a *warrior* princess wasn't she?

Spinning straw into gold? No, that would probably cause problems. It certainly had the last time someone had gotten that particular talent.

Poise? Gift of Tongues? Eyes Of The Cat?

Shampoo remembered one of Bai Na's imported manga. Wasn't a princess supposed to be like *that*?

The voices conferred. Well, why not?

Shampoo smiled as she curled up in her sleep. This would be nice.

----------

China:

Bai Na, the crazed mangaphile of the Nichieju, sneezed.

Tigar, by far the worst nonconformist, looked up. "This means something."

Tigar's sister, Sugar, nodded to her friend and constant companion Spice. "I think she's right."

Spice smirked.

Then the alarm, a gong from the front gate of the Amazon Village began clanging. Naturally, while some Amazons went to their posts, the vast majority headed directly to the alarm site.

As they were Amazons, weapons were brought for all the lack of menaces to their village in recent years.

When the Amazons began crowding there, the bulk of them looked out across the plain, then at Bai Na, then back.

"Damn," said one Amazon. "I knew Bai Na had a good imagination, but for *me* to see it-"

The beast had glistening purple skin, bright red eyes, and was shaped something like a crude stick figure. It was also sixteen feet tall. "Where is the Wild Stallion?!"

Bai Na blinked and immediately interpreted this in terms of things she was familiar with. "You are a demon from a Dark Dimension, sent to kill that outsider boy that came here recently."

Grink liked the sound of that. Demon, huh? He was just a minor UnSidhe but demon sounded important. Heh. Might as well play it up, it wasn't like anyone from Makai was around to dispute it. "YES! Give me the pigtailed warrior, and I shall not devour you all one by one - eating you all in a sauce made from your blood! Bwahahahaha!"

There was a gasp from the assembled Amazons. Not because this thing was threatening them. Bai Na was right?!

"He's lying," proclaimed Bai Na needlessly. "If we were to give up Ranma Saotome to this fiend, he would still kill us - for he is a minion of the Dark Kingdom and lies come easily to his kind."

Grink wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He blinked. "How did you know?"

Bai Na smirked smugly and held up one of her precious manga compilations. "Because I have here the whole story of you and your kind! Your plans to enslave the entire world to your Dark Master!"

Grink gaped. They knew of Oberon and Golderon?! "Then you will surrender that as well!"

"Can I borrow that after the fight?" Tigar asked Bai Na, suddenly getting much more interested in this 'manga' stuff.

Bai Na nodded, though she also lamented she wasn't wearing her precious "Magic Knight Rayearth" T-shirt. Let's see, what would "Sailor Moon" do on this kind of occasion? Oh yeah! "Foul beast who perverts the night!"

"It's three in the afternoon," helpfully pointed out Tigar.

"You seek to harm defenseless and innocent girls!" Bai Na continued.

"Boy, has *he* got the wrong village," commented Spice.

Grink rushed the wall, intent on stopping the annoying speech. Besides, he was protected. It would take cold iron, magic, or something similar to kill him!

The air briefly turned dark with arrows, spears, throwing knives, and various other assorted martial arts weapons.

Grink went down. "This not hurt Grink," he lied. Actually it hurt quite a bit. Some of those weapons had something similar to a magical charge. Still, as long as he wasn't dead he could eventually regenerate.

Cologne used a chi blast to finish off the beast, then turned to one particular young Amazon. "Bai Na. I know that you have been repeatedly told that Amazons should not be reading foreign comic books. That you have been teased and made fun of. Would you consider loaning out your collection anyway? We seem to have wandered into one of those same stories."

----------

Japan:

Ranma wondered about this school.

When he'd attended school before, it had always fallen into the same pattern. Mainly because his father wanted his son to be constantly immersed in martial arts and the way of fighting - even in a regimented and mind-numbingly boring activity as the typical Japanese school.

Hence that middle school where the cafeteria had broken out into lunchtime struggles for prepackaged bread. Even Ryouga wouldn't have tried fighting the crowds when they had pizza. (Mainly because by the time the fights were over - the pizza wouldn't have been recognizable.) A feeding frenzy involving sharks and wounded seals would not have been as savage.

There had been other schools, other times, same sort of situation.

Furinkan was similar in some respects.

Violence was ready to erupt much of the time. Just the display this morning and the attitude of the teachers towards it was enough to clue Ranma in - mass violence was acceptable behavior here.

The usual clubs didn't seem to have much of a presence. In Middle School, you were mainly preparing for High School Entrance Exams. Senior High wasn't required, though it was usually done unless you had a family business or the like, in which case the high school years were normally spent there. Senior High Schools were where Clubs took place. Extracurricular activities were a mainstay of Japanese High School life.

There were signs for the "Chem Club" and there were the usual sports-related clubs and teams for Kendo and Sumo and the like. The Karate and Judo teams had old posters in the hallway, over a year old? There were Gymnastics teams for the girls and a Volleyball and Softball team, but not much else.

In other words, a reform school or a school on the edge of it.

Ranma wondered when he'd run into a school where you could actually learn something useful.

Take, for example, this course. Japanese History. While some understanding of the basics was useful for seeing how some of it developed, practically all the accounts were heavily slanted by the original author's views. Very few of the authors originating these works were able to filter out their own feelings on a particular subject. He had it on good authority, for example, that Nobunaga Oda was as magically adept as a hunk of granite. A skilled mover and shaker with a certain charisma and forceful presence, particularly good at playing one faction off against another, but hardly Evil.

Ranma just faked paying attention and decided to use this opportunity to check out a few things.

Whoa. There was a ley line running through the front of the school and heading off to where the dojo of the Tendo house was. Some ley lines were Earth, some were Water or Air. This one seemed to combine Water and Earth, which meant this was a Chaos line - something that was neither one thing nor another and therefore tending to throw everything off around it.

He knew enough to throw a shield-filter around it, otherwise the nonsense factor in his life would likely go through the roof.

--------

The bokken thrust was parried by an improvised bo staff. The business end of the mop slapped into her attacker's face a half instant later.

"Give up, and learn happiness as a woman!"

Ukyo wanted to retch. Instead she did the splits so the attack aimed at the back of her head slammed into her first opponent instead. Blunt end of the mop jabbed straight back and made a satisfyingly solid connection. Roll to the side, up, spin the mop in a quick defensive manuever, then backflip to land on top of the school's wall. "I don't think you've got anything to teach me, Tsubaka!"

"That's Tsubasa! You're just confused, my love!"

"Idiot! Get out of my way and let *me* date the fair Ukyo!"

Ukyo smiled and leapt off the wall to land outside the school grounds. "Imagine what it'd be like if I weren't attending an 'All Girl's School', yeesh!"

--------

China:

Cologne finished reading one book and was about to give up in disgust. "This is... juvenile. A utopian society? Talking magical cats? Using a rose as a throwing weapon? 'Punish you in high heels'?!"

"Maybe if you used a chi field to charge the rose?" Lilac was always glad to needle Cologne. Their rivalry had existed for quite a few years and while the Elder of the Healers didn't dislike "that old fuddy-duddy" everyone knew they didn't exactly see eye to eye either.

"You're missing the point," groaned Cologne, wishing that she could just drop the matter but with Lilac around that wasn't likely.

"Look, everything in here can be explained as being written in a girl's comic," pointed out Lilac. "Things were added to appeal to young Japanese girls - and as this is a Chinese village we don't have the best clue as to which elements were just added to please her target audience."

Bai Na had been waiting for just such an opportunity. "We should send an Amazon to see Naoko Takeuchi personally!"

Cologne and the other elders turned their gazes towards the blonde girl. "Oh really? Why?"

"Because that way we can get the information directly from her and we can protect a valuable contact when they send youma after her!" Bai Na proclaimed triumphantly, not mentioning at all the possibility of getting her manga collection autographed. Nope nope nope.

Cologne appeared to be thoughtful. "Hmmm. Perhaps we should send Tigar. She's the best tracker."

"She'd be excellent, if this trip were to end in Australia, England, or America," admitted Bai Na. "Her English - particularly when it involves their music, is much better. This is Japan however. Tigar doesn't speak Japanese."

"Well I spmmmmm mmmfff?" Tigar attempted to talk but her sister had just clamped a hand over her mouth.

"Maybe Mousse?" Cologne suggested.

"You know how he gets around Shampoo. Remember that visiting delegation two years ago, where he thought one of the emissaries was making eyes at Shampoo?" Bai Na pointed out.

Lots of winces. The emissary making eyes at Shampoo had actually been a horse. That particular trade treaty had never come to pass. Mass bloodshed had never actually broken out, but relations still weren't good.

"Child," said Lilac kindly, "you're an apprentice healer. You're a fair swordswoman. But you're clumsy as a carp. You couldn't handle being a bodyguard."

Cologne saw a way to get back at Lilac, remove some potential troublemakers from the village, and if there was actually anything to any of this "Future Utopian Kingdom" nonsense - indicate that they'd thrown valuable resources in to mark themselves as useful allies! "Oh, I think we can spare Bai Na. Just to be sure, let's send a few of our warriors *with* her."

"What are you up to, Cologne?" Lilac wasn't sure about this. She had thought she was backing Cologne for once, or was Cologne just being contrary for its own sake?

"Vanilla, Sugar, Spice, Tigar, Shammi, Dina," called out Cologne. "A little expedition seems in order."

-----------

Japan:

Nabiki finished the school day with her ears burning and enduring looks sent towards her from all and sundry.

The news was out.

Her reputation was in the toilet.

And she was the one responsible for it, by saying something within earshot of Tatewaki Kuno.

Nabiki Tendo was engaged to the new student. Ranma Saotome, penniless wandering martial artist.

"Hey, Nabiki, you gonna sell pictures of your fiance? He's *hot!*"

Nabiki smiled. "No problem."

With this additional bit of information, and now understanding some of the whispers around her, Nabiki carefully wiped smugness from her face.

This was an entirely new spin, and Nabiki found that she liked it. She was seen as being in possession of a precious commodity - a fiance. When the curse became news, there would be some effort involved in chasing the spin again but that was a concern for later. Right now she could bask in something new to her life.

Being envied.

People had feared her. People had admired her. Guys had checked her out, then quickly found other things to look at when they realized it was her.

This wasn't bad. It wouldn't last, but it wasn't bad.

"Nabiki Tendo. I require information."

For a brief moment, an honestly pained expression passed over Nabiki's face as she was again confronted by the Spouting Star. "Can it wait, Kuno-baby? I'm basking in my accomplishments."

Kuno's expression didn't change. "Jest not with me, Nabiki Tendo. I require information about thy houseguest."

"Yeah, yeah," Nabiki said. "So what's the question? Need help with your trig homework?"

"Such pedestrian concerns are beneath me," said Tatewaki, though beneath his samurai stoicism he was tempted. "Nay, as stated this concerns that scruffy vagabond who doth stay beneath the same roof as thyself. Is it true that he is engaged not to the fair and fierce Akane Tendo, but to thee?"

Nabiki considered the market value of information that had apparently already been disseminated the length and breadth of the school. "Yes, Kuno. 1000yen for each additional question. Or are you going to buy a clue?"

"Indeed," said Kuno. "Naeless, what I doth wish to know is simply that if the foul cur does somehow intend to woo the fair Akane whilst operating under cover of his engagement to yourself."

Nabiki considered Ranma and Akane engaged. The little sister who hated guys and hated things that were perverted, engaged to a guy who turned into a faerie.

Kuno frowned. "You needn't laugh like that, Nabiki Tendo. Twas a serious question."

"No, Kuno. No. Heck, that was such a good laugh, that I'll knock 500 yen off the price." Nabiki chuckled. She'd have to mention this to Akane just to see her sister's reaction.

"Thou art sure?" Kuno couldn't see how this could be. A man in the position of choosing one amongst the Tendo flock to be his bride, and passing over the fair flower of Akane? "How can he call himself a man and choose a grubby Yakuza reject moneychanger over the sublime beauty of Akane? This is strange."

For a brief moment, Nabiki's expression would have daunted even a noble samurai. With a conscious effort she forced a pleasant expression onto her features. "Yes, I'm sure. 1500yen. You'd have to ask him but I'd say he might just not be the type who appreciates 'sublime'. 2500yen."

Tatewaki paid the peasant as he considered this. Perhaps this Saotome was not right in the head? Some form of insanity where he could not appreciate the finer points of truly attractive women? Or perhaps Nabiki Tendo, in her moneygrubbing mercenary manner, had some undisclosed blackmail to manipulate the commoner? Either that or he was so sinisterly Machiavellian that he had fooled even Nabiki Tendo about his plotting to seduce the helpless Akane?

Nabiki moved off herself. She had homework to do and not one trace of the good mood she'd managed to gather up five minutes ago.

-----------

In a book publishing office on the 14th floor of an office building, a young woman shivered.

"Something wrong, Takeuchi-san?"

"No, Mister P," the author said after a few moments. "It was just a feeling. An odd one to be sure. Perhaps after 'P-Q Angels' I'll take a trip up to that mountain spa."

"That would be nice," agreed the editor. "I... That's odd. I just got that too. Like something very old and full of hate turned their gaze this way, looking for something."

"That's it exactly," said the author. "Maybe something died in one of the air conditioning vents."

"That's probably it," agreed the editor, "I'll call maintenence later."

----------

The star of the karate club, the kendo club, the samurai girl of her school, drew her spatula as the wind passed by her.

Eyes sought each of the shadows briefly, then dismissed and flicked to the next in its turn. She didn't relax until the feeling had passed and she had checked each shadow.

Nothing. Yet there had been *something* to that feeling of presence. Just the fact that her breath had formed a white cloud in typical March weather indicated that the temperature drop had not been a figment of imagination.

Oh. Wait a minute.

A throwing spatula sunk deep into a fire hydrant. The fact that the fire hydrant yelped and ran off was sufficient indication. "First Mariko now Tsu-baka. Why do I get all the weirdoes?"

----------

China:

Cologne looked up and frowned as the wind passed. "Very bad. Very bad indeed."

"Something stirs," Lilac said, passing her rival a cup of strong tea. "Are you sure those girls will be all right?"

"They are Amazons," Cologne said. "I'm sure they can handle it."

"Liar."

"Takes one to know one."

----------

The wind swirled briefly around the remains of Grink, muttering briefly as it did.

The remains faded away and the wind passed on, losing strength and definition quickly.

"idiot," the wind proclaimed as it ended.


===========

end chapter 2.
next chapter - 2nd day of Furinkan and secrets are revealed!