Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Final Chapter ❯ Final Chapter ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

You know the bit that goes here, I don't own Ranma

Without you.

Outside the Tendo dojo, a peaceful early Monday morning. It doesn't last long.

Akane (screamed)

"Ranma you leach."

*slap*

The Tendo family and Genma Saotomae sit around the breakfast table eating and avoiding staring at a grumpy Akane. Ranma sits alone cross legged on the porch, one hand rubbing a large red palm shaped mark on his face.

Ranma (mumbled)

"I thought she'd got past that. Dumb tomboy,

she walk in on me."

Ranma looked over his shoulder at the group eating. He didn't need to keep going through the same thing over and over. Sure, she could be cute at times, but she could never get over her stubborn superiority complex. If only she'd accept herself as what she was and to see past the defensive barriers Ranma instinctively put up thanks to his fathers unnatural training methods, their relationship might work. He made up his mind.

Ranma (to everyone)

"I need a holiday. See you in a few weeks."

And with that he leaped over the garden fence and took off down the street heading for the wilderness. It took everyone a moment to realise what had happened. Genma acted first. He opened his mouth and bellowed.

Genma (shouted through a mouth of food)

"Get back here boy. You can't just

take off."

Nabiki looked out of the corners of her eyes at Genma.

Nabiki

"I think he's gone Mr Saotomae."

Genma (grinding fist)

"Damn boy. When I catch him."

Akane

"Ah let him go. Maybe we'll get some peace at last

round here."

It had been a week since Ranma had left the Tendo's and he was enjoying the feel of the road beneath his feet again. As dusk drew near he began to look for a place to camp for the night. It was then he spotted a light through the trees, a flickering orange glow that only an open fire could make. Ranma shrugged and began to make his way through the trees towards it. After a short distance he found himself in a clearing the small camp fire burning at the centre, though otherwise it seemed empty. He looked around for any other signs of life but there were none. He walked closer to the camp fire to examine the various pieces of camping equipment spread out hoping it would give some clue as to the whereabouts of the owner. Suddenly there was a rustle in the trees off to his right. Ranma turned in time to see a dark shadow lunge for him ready to deliver a devastating blow. He acted quickly throwing himself sideways and preparing to fend off a second attack. For fully ten seconds he waited unsure as to what had happened. Ranma began to relax, assuming it had only been a wild animal. He detected the second attack half a second to late and the fist smashed into his skull sending him down, yet he wasn't out and rolling into a half twist, Ranma righted himself and delivered a fast attack to the centre of the shadow as it passed by. The shadow screamed in pain, a very feminine scream and fell to the floor. Ranma pounced quickly pinning the screaming figure and holding it's arms.

In the light of the fire he could finally see the face of his attacker. A girl of sixteen, slender yet athletic, clearly the body of a fighter and a skilled one judging by her performance. Her black hair spread out on the grass would clearly reach almost to her waist when she was standing except for the two dark red dyed bangs that framed her pretty face, her features a mix of Asian and European. Ranma's hart missed a beat as he stared at her.

Girl (scared)

"Who are you? What do you want?

Please don't hurt me."

Ranma looked into her eyes.

Ranma (confused)

"Hurt you? Why would I want to do that.

You attacked me."

Girl

"I… I thought you were someone else. If your

not going to hurt me, could you get off me?"

Ranma (blushing)

"Oh, sorry. Just don't try and attack me

again."

Ranma stood up and helped girl to her feet.

Girl

"You still haven't told me who you are.

I've never met anyone who could defeat me."

Ranma

"My name is Ranma Saotomae, of the Saotomae School of

Anything Goes Martial Arts and greatest martial

artist in the world."

Girl (laughing)

"Someone has a high opinion of themselves. I'm

Katrina Lowman, of the Katrina School of survive

at any cost martial arts, second greatest martial

artist in the world."

Ranma

"I've never hear of Survive at any cost martial arts

before. Where did you learn it"

Katrina looked at Ranma like he'd just turned into a fish, (which considering the nature of his universe could quite well have happened had the author got board).

Katrina

"You mean anything goes martial arts is real, I was making

Mine up. I thought you were joking."

Ranma

"Why joke? Anyway, I've seen some much sillier

ones. You'd be amazed at what you can do with a

tea set."

Katrina

"Your kidding?"

Ranma

"Nope, and they only gets worse. So what are you

doing out here Katrina."

Katrina

"Call me Kat please, and why don't we have

dinner, I always cook to much so there's

plenty. We can exchange stories over

food."

Ranma shrugged and sat down next to the fire. He was surprised he was finding it so easy to talk to this girl. Over diner of steamed rice and vegetables Ranma found himself explaining his life story, even about his curse.

Kat

"So, you turn into a girl. That must really suck.

To be forced into something your not."

Ranma (surprised)

"Your surprisingly understanding about this. Most

people I know this it's great. Though I have

got used to it over time. The form has some

advantages."

Kat

"Yes, but wouldn't you prefer to be normal?"

Ranma

"Of course but."

Something twigged in Ranma's brain. He turned to face Kat.

Ranma

"You've got a curse too, haven't you?"

Kat nodded.

Kat

"When I was young, there was a dried up spring in our garden,

which would flow for one day every hundred years.

All the gardens in my village had a spring. I didn't

know it at the time, I was too young, but it was a

cursed spring, and I was standing under it when the

water began to flow. Now when ever I get hit with

cold water, I become a boy."

Ranma's eyes nearly popped out of his head and he began rambling on about cures until Kat's words fully sank in. One hundred years. It would be another eighty four before the spring flowed again.

Ranma

"So your curse is the opposite to mine. So then

what are you doing out here, looking for a cure."

Kat

"No, escaping my family. They were using me as an

exhibit in their freak show in a travelling circus. I

hung around till I was about fourteen so I could

learn the tricks off the other guys there, then

escaped. I spent the last two years wondering

around, learning any fighting techniques I could.

It's a rough world out there and you need to be

prepared, but my family are always after me, so

I keep having to run somewhere else to stay free."

Ranma

"You know, I think you should meet my family. They

might be able to help you."

Kat

"Um, maybe. They sound kinda nuts though."

Ranma

"Yeah they are, but they can be useful sometimes.

Come on, come home with me tomorrow. They can all

Teach you some new techniques even if it's just how

to use a mallet properly, and if your family shows

up, we'd be more than a match for them."

Kat

"Ok then, but before we go back. Can I see your

female form."

Ranma (unsure)

"I guess, but I get to see your male form."

Kat (very playful voice)

"Fair enough."

The next thing Ranma knew was that his clothes were soaking wet. He looked across at Kat now in male form. She/he had grown several inches though her/his hair had stayed the same length and her feminine figure had changed to that of a slightly more muscular male. Ranma noticed for the first time that Kat was wearing a short skirt though it was only in her boy form that it became noticeable. He burst into laughter. Kat looked hurt.

Kat

"What is it?"

Ranma

"Oh sorry, it's just your wearing a skirt. If your going to be a

boy, you need to wear something that can go both ways.

Something I learned a while ago."

Kat

"Oh, that's alright. Yes I guess it is a bit silly really,

I don't change very often. So it usually doesn't matter."

Her voice raised several octaves as she emptied a kettle over her head and she changed back to a girl. She poured the rest over Ranma.

Kat

"Still, I guess it must be worse for a boy

to dress in girls cloths than the other way round."

Ranma (blushing a deep red)

"Yes I have had some less than pleasant experiences

over the years. I tend to get switched back and

fourth on a fairly regular basis.

Kat

"You know your girl form is pretty cute looking,

have you ever had boys, you know go after you.

Apart from that Kuno guy you mentioned earlier?"

Ranma

"Um yes, though it doesn't make a difference since in boy

form, all the girls are after me. And I'd make sure they know

you're a girl normally when you meet them. Otherwise they'll

probably be all over your guy form too. Though watch out

for Ryoga and Kuno when you're a girl, and Haposi, they're

all total perverts."

Kat

"Thanks for the warning."

The two stayed up late trading stories and talking about the pending meeting with the Tendo's and remaining Saotomaes before laying down by the dwindling fire to sleep.

Ranma woke his eyes still closed to find his left arm trapped under something, and warm breath on his face. He opened his eyes, and found himself staring at a peacefully sleeping Kat. His first impulse was to jerk his arm away, yet she looked so peaceful, he couldn't wake her so he just lay there staring at her face. He was staring so intently he didn't notice she too had woken and was staring back. Kat finally spoke.

Kat (contented)

"Morning."

Ranma (slightly startled)

"Morning. Um how did we end up like this."

Kat (coyly)

"I was cold last night and the fire had gone out.

You don't mind do you."

Ranma

"Oh, er no."

Ranma heard a cough from the tree line and looked to see Ryoga standing fuming with rage.

Ryoga (shouted)

"Ranma you cad! How could you. You

do not deserve Akane."

Ranma looked at Kat with an exasperated smile.

Ranma

"But he might."

Kat

"Ryoga I presume."

She said standing and offering her hand to him. Ryoga more than a little taken aback stumbled for something to stay. It was then he noticed the top of her shirt had come open slightly in her sleep displaying more than a little cleavage. Ryoga's nose bleed dutiful burst fourth as his body seemed to twitch in odd spasms. Kat looked at Ranma worriedly, who signalled her to button her top up.

Ranma

"He always gets like this round women.

You'll learn to use it to your advantage

In due course."

Kat gave him a quizzical look.

Kat

"Don't ask, right."

Ranma

"Yeah, you wouldn't want to know."

Kat

"Fair enough. So shall we get packed up?"

Ranma

"Yeah, it's a few days journey back to the Tendo's.

I guess we should take Ryoga with us. If we tell him

we're going to Tokyo he might well find us a shortcut

home."

Kat laughed and then looked round for Ryoga.

Kat

"Um, where's he gone?"

Ranma

"I guess he won't be coming after all. Oh well,

he'll turn up again. He always does. So shall we go?"

By now they had both finished loading their packs, so they hoisted them to their backs, and headed northwards for Nermina and the Tendo home.

Akane stood in the Dojo fist ready. She struck the concrete block head on practically reducing it to dust. She was beginning to get worried. Ranma had never run off for this long before. She even started to wonder if he'd even planned to return. She couldn't believe she'd been so stupid as to drive him away. The one guy that actually seemed to care for her as a person. Ok so he his it behind his macho image and those stupid remarks but on reflection, he'd only ever used them in response to something she'd said first. And all those beatings he'd taken from her, even some really nasty ones. He was far to strong and agile for her to catch him if he tried, yet he'd always just sat there and taken it. Had she really been that blind. Everything he put up with, even her cooking. She knew she had feelings for him, though she'd always doubted it was love, after all he had represented everything she hated, being a boy and a far better martial artist and everything else she'd found he was better at. Yet the more she thought about it, the more she realised it was that feeling of jealousy that had overshadowed her love for him. Why was she jealous though, so he was better at things than her. He'd had the training and she knew he had a natural ability to learn really fast. As she peeled back the layers she suddenly found what she'd feared she'd find.

Akane

"I really do love him. All those times I

thought I did. It really was and now I've driven

him away. Oh shit, how could I have been so

stupid?"

At that moment, Nabiki's head poked round the door.

Nabiki

"Oh sis, there you are. I thought you'd want to

know, Ranma's back. I just saw him go into

the house. Hey why you crying?"

Akane quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and ran from the dojo to the house. Determined to find a way to tell Ranma what she felt. She skidded to a halt in front of the doors. There sitting at the table with Kasumi and her father was Ranma. She was about to pounce on him when she noticed the person sitting next to him. A pretty young girl of roughly the same age who was chatting with the others. She noticed her place one hand on Ranma's shoulder. Instantly her mind filled with ideas as to who this girl was. A new fiancée, or some old flame from his past who'd tracked him down. She noticed Ranma had fought the other girl off. She'd already realised that Ranma had never actually gone after the other girls, well baring the times he'd been tricked or magical into it, yet this girl was different. Ranma was too at ease with her. Had her worst fears come to pass. She'd finally driven Ranma away from her and now he'd found someone else. Was he only here to announce his new engagement. She was confused, her father looked way to happy for anything like that. Slowly she approached scowling at the new comer and sat at the table.

Soun

Ah, and this is my youngest daughter, Akane.

Kat

"Hello."

Akane (trying not to kill the girl)

"Who are you?"

Kat

"Katrina Lowman, though everyone calls me Kat. I

come from Europe and I have a curse like Ranma,

who I meet several days ago when I tried to kill him.

He said you people could help me become a stronger

martial artist. You're the fiancée right?"

Akane (calming down a bit)

"Yes."

Ranma looked up sharply at Akane, surprised that she'd admitted it so quickly and so readily. He'd expected denial or at least an excuse.

Akane

"You're not an Amazon are you."

Kat (laughing)

"No I'm not like Shampoo. He's not engaged to me."

Kat leaned over conspiratorially and whispered.

Kat (whispered)

"Though if you don't actually claim him soon. I

might just have to take him. You'd have to be nut's

not to want him. He's gorgeous."

Akane (whispered)

"Hey, he's mine. Just keep your

paws off Kat."

Akane stood and made her excuses before going up to her room. She needed to think. How was she going to tell Ranma how she felt. He'd come back and it wasn't to say goodbye, so he'd returned for something. She just hoped it was her. She feel asleep with these thoughts in mind, while the others stayed up talking late into the night.

Akane came down the next morning to find a new stranger sitting at the breakfast table. A guy who looked a bit like a mix of Ranma and Kuno with his long black hair held back in a pony tail. She was about to sit down when she noticed the strange boy was wearing a dress. She did sit down, rather hard. Everyone looked at her as she sat staring quizzically at the new comer with an open mouth and bulging eyes, desperately trying to force the word pervert from between her lips. Kat noticed she was staring and smiled.

Kat

"Oh sorry. Ranma knocked me into your Coy

pond a few minutes ago. He was trying to teach

me some Kempo skills."

Akane noticed indeed that the boys dress was still slightly damp.

Akane

"Who the hell are you?"

Kat

"It's me, Kat. I told you I have a curse last

night. Except mine is that of becoming a boy,

where as Ranma's is that of becoming a girl.

I'm kind of his opposite."

Akane

"Oh."

Akane settled down and began eating breakfast as she tried to order this new information in her head. At that moment female Ranma came it and sat down to eat breakfast. Akane felt the slight tinge of jealousy of the new girl/boy again when she saw Ranma sit next to him and how easily they got on.

Ranma

"Pass the salt would ya."

Kat

"Here you are."

Akane

"Ranma, where are your manners. Look at you, your eating

like a pig."

Kat

"Oh don't get your panties in a twist Akane. So he misses

the odd please and thank you. It's only breakfast."

Akane's jaw moved up and down several times as she tried to speak through the shock. In her mind, another boy had just insulted her whether there was a girl behind him made no difference. The mallet appeared and arched downwards. A few seconds later Akane realised it hadn't made contact. She looked down the handle, surprised to see a hand gripping it keeping it just above Kat's head, Ranma's hand.

Ranma

"Me is one thing, and Kuno, well that's something totally

other, but you ain't hitting someone who hasn't done anything."

Akane

"You mean you could have caught this thing all along."

Ranma

"Of course. You really thought you were that fast?"

Akane

"But, then why didn't you?"

Ranma looked uncomfortable, then stood and walked out the door. Kat upended a freshly boiled kettle over her head and then followed Ranma's disappearing figure.

Akane

"What the, oh no you don't come back here."

Akane too ran after Ranma.

Akane

"You're not getting away again Ranma, no way.

Ranma looked back.

Ranma

"Sheesh, what was I ever thinking, she's not cute at all.

Kat

"She's just nuts, and you put up with that shit all day, everyday."

Ranma

"I reckon we've got about thirty seconds before she catches up if we travel

like this. I'm going back to Jusuenkio, I might finally find a cure. You

wanna come. Forget what I said about them helping you, I can do all that."

Kat

"Sure, I've not got anything planned."

Ranma

"Cool, ok, we ditch Akane, you go back for our packs I'll meet you

by the school."

Kat

"Ok, see you in a minute."

Ranma jumped up left and took off over the rooftops as Kat took a right hand alley. As she expected, Akane followed Ranma. She headed back for the house. Ranma kept just far enough ahead to keep Akane following leading her on a chase through the town. A head he spotted Xian Pu sitting on her bicycle, quickly he scribbled on a piece of paper and tossed it to her as he passed. It simply read, `good bye'. He altered his course for Ukyo's and found to his luck Ryoga was there to. As he raced past he threw two more ;good bye' notes in their directions. Behind him a crowd had started to build. Ranma decided it was time to disappear and picked up the pace. Behind him the mob slowed to a stop, trying to work out where he'd disappeared to. The squabbling soon broke out and Ranma decided he was free of them as he crept past them in the opposite direction.

Soon he and Kat were on the road again heading for China.

Kat

"You think we'll find a cure."

Ranma laughed, a care free laugh few people had ever heard.

Ranma

"It doesn't really matter, does it? We're both free.

Finally I'm rid of those idiots. I'm sorry for my mother,

but she really lost me the day my father took me away to train."

Ranma held out his hand to Kat and she slipped hers in his. She began humming a little tune and Ranma soon joined in. The air was warm and a light breeze blew in their hair and they settled back into the rhythm of the road.

Behind them life began to return to normal for the inhabitants of Nermina. Genma returned to his wife and committed Sepuku shortly after. Ryoga and Ukyo married and settled down to raise a healthy family of children and piglets. Xian Pu eventually gave in to Moouse's advances out of shear desperation and discovered he wasn't really so bad after all. Cologne is still knocking her head on her walking stick for that one. Nabeke moved in with Kuno, where upon she pimped him off till he was worthless and she moved on to the next idiot and Kasumi stayed nursing her devastated father till the end of his days. Of Akane, no one knows what happened to her. Determined to find Ranma, she set out into the wilds of China, unfortunately all those nights with P-Chan had altered her sense of direction and ended up eternally lost going round and round the statue of Liberty wondering why she'd been stupid enough to drive Ranma away. Ranma and Kat ended their days happily married and with six kids, three of which Kat had birthed and three Ranma had carried to term. Kat had insisted it would make him a better father\mother. They never found a cure for the curses, but considering the numerous possibilities it gave during sex, they didn't really care.

It wasn't till a young red headed girl with a pigtail and a large backpack wandered in to a small family run restaurant in Nerminia that the family lines of fate would cross again, but that's another story.