Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma's Hour of Darkness ❯ Chapter 01 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Ranma's Hour of Darkness


Disclaimer - I own neither Disgaea nor Ranma 1/2.


------------


This takes place in the manga continuity. It is set post-Nodoka, pre-Saffron, near the beginning of volume 36 of the Japanese manga. To be a little more precise, Nodoka knows Ranko, but not that she is Ranma.


------------


I toss a pebble into the canal, ignoring the bustle of people on the bridge above me. 'That damn bitch did it to me again. Took my picture, copied it, sold it. Again.'


I toss in another pebble. 'If she knew what I was thinking, she'd probably try to charge me a 'bitch tax'. Heh.'


I look at the picture in my other hand. It's not a bad picture, and if it weren't my own female body lying there nude I would be just as interested as the next guy. 'How did she do it? I know I didn't pose for it.'


I tilt the picture, trying to see the room, but the viewpoint doesn't move. 'It looks like my mattress. Did she do it while I was asleep?'


I flick another pebble into the water. This one is flat, so I skip it across the canal and bounce it off the far side. 'I'll probably end up forgiving her for it, since she isn't actually trying to kill me, and Pop and I are living off of them. Stupid Pop. Stupid, bitchy Nabiki.'


Using a little more force, I embed the next pebble into the far canal wall. 'Why couldn't she invade the privacy of someone that actually deserved it, like Happosai? I'll bet that he has all sorts of things that she could sell. Probably even has a cure for my curse somewhere in there...'


My thoughts trail off as an idea pops into my head. 'He'll be gone for at least a week. Kasumi said so. All I have to do is wait until everyone else is gone too.'


I look again at the picture, then sigh. 'If I could keep it without being called a pervert, I would. It's a good picture.'


------------


I slide the door open quietly, even though I'm the only one in the house. I know, I triple-checked, and even soaked in the furo without putting out the sign. Still, it never hurt to be careful.


Slipping inside, I slide the door closed again behind me. The piles of lingerie and panties that I'd expected to find were instead neatly stacked, and looked to be sorted by size, color, and style. Looking around, I don't see any obvious cures. 'Nothing is ever easy for me, is it...'


I try not to disturb the stacks too much with my search. There's no need to leave obvious clues that someone's been in here. After looking everywhere else, I check under the bed and find a scroll case.


I keep my excitement under control as I quickly open the case and unroll the scroll. Typically it's in some language that I can't read, and don't even recognize. I unroll the scroll a bit more and notice that there's a diagram of some sort, and another, newer scroll rolled up inside it.


This second scroll seems to be in Japanese, but it's the crappiest handwriting I've ever seen. It must be Happosai's notes. Looking it over carefully, I manage to make out the kanji for 'curse' several times, but it looks like the stroke order is totally wrong. I pack it all back into the case. 'This could be promising. I'll have to put it back before he gets back, though.'


------------


I walk home with Akane, trying not to let my frustration with the pace or my eagerness to be home with the scroll show. 'This is getting frustrating. School is such a waste of time. Happosai still isn't back yet, but time is running out.'


I let Akane take the lead, and sigh to myself. 'Face it, I need help on this one. Now who do I know that might be able to read it, and that won't try to stab me in the back?'


My mind supplies the answer immediately. 'Nobody.'


'So who do I know that I might be able to keep under control, then?'


Images of paper dolls come to mind, and I know I have found my helper. 'Hm. What was his name? Go-something? He might be safe enough. Now, how to visit him without arousing suspicion?'


------------


Even in the middle of the night I can't avoid getting wet, it seems. I arrive at his house sopping wet and female. Luckily the scroll case is waterproof.


There's only one light on. Looking through the window, I can see him sitting at his desk, mumbling something to himself as he looks through a book with a black cover. He jumps when I tap on it.


When he opens the window and gets a good look at me, he says, "You!"


I hold the scroll case out to him, and he looks at me with confusion. "What are you doing here? And what is this?" he hisses at me.


"It's a magic scroll," I say. 'I hope that I'm right about that.' "I need your help to read it."


He takes the case and motions me in. As he opens the scroll case and unrolls the scroll, I look curiously at the black book. It's labeled in Romanji, and I make out 'Necro...'. 'Ah, it's a book on those dark-skinned Americans. No wonder it has a black cover.'


"So, can you read it?" I ask.


Gosunkugi looks unsure. "I recognize it, it's Babylonian. Um...", he tapers off.


'It looks like I made the right decision.' I lean forward a little. "Is there a problem?" I ask.


"N-no! No problem." he squeaks. "But this will take time to translate. Can I make a copy?"


I blink, and an image of the old ghoul hitting me with her stick flashes in my mind. "Make a copy? Sure! In fact, let's make two, just in case.", I say. I'm babbling, but I can't help myself. I'm too relieved. 'Old freak returning? Problem solved! Now why didn't I think of that?'


He looks relieved, and suddenly a lot less tense. "Good idea," he says.


We have to walk halfway to Kawaguchi to find an all-night copy center. I could have been there and back in five minutes, but Gosunkugi insisted on coming with. Once we got there, I was glad for his presence, though I would never have admitted it. The one copy I made, of Happosai's notes, came out black, and all the copies he made of the scroll came out perfectly.


As I place the notes in the tray to try again, he stops me.


"Don't bother," he says. "It'll take me less time to translate the scroll than that handwriting."


Shrugging, I re-roll the scroll and the notes, and pack them back into the case.


------------


Gosunkugi Hikaru watched as his 'guest' left, with a slowly spreading smile. This was perfect. No, better than perfect! He couldn't believe that Ranma of all people was the one chosen to give him his heart's desire. Looking down at the copies spread out on his desk he slowly shook his head.


But what to do about Ranma? If he caught even a hint of his plans, then it would all be over. He leafed through the copies as he pondered, then shrugged. Why not just give him what he wants? It wouldn't be his fault if Ranma sold his soul to a demon, after all. And it wasn't as if Ranma was known to be a genius or anything. He didn't even need to mess it up.


Nodding to himself, he started his translation task. He might not have to mess it up, but why not have a little fun anyway?


------------


I look over the 'shopping list' that Gosunkugi gave me. Most of the items on it I recognize from cooking. Finding the 'special' items, on the other hand, will be a little more difficult. 'I guess that I'll do the special items first, then.'


Reading the first line of the 'special' list, I groan. 'Now, where am I going to find a silver dagger? And how in the world am I going to afford it? And how will I keep Nabiki from finding it?'


Hours later, I have everything else on the list, but still no silver dagger. I've checked all the stores I can think of, even the specialty stores that Gosunkugi recommended, but none of them have anything like what I need. Feeling frustrated, I stop in a park on my way home. 'So close, I can almost see my cure.'


A man with dark hair and a slim build sits down next to me on the bench. He says, "You seem a little depressed, monsieur. What is the matter?"


I look him over, then shrug. 'What can it hurt?' "I can't find anywhere to buy a silver dagger."


He laughs and says, "Is that all? Oui, I know just the place to go. Here." He hands me a business card, then says, "Au revoir, monsieur."


As he walks off, I look at the card. 'Rosen Queen Co., huh?'


------------


Gosunkugi is watching approvingly as I mix the herbs for the ritual in the jar. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, basil, fennel seeds, garlic, marjoram, sage, cloves, and mustard seeds. It isn't something that I'd want to use as an ingredient, but it doesn't end up smelling all that bad. I cap the jar and set it aside, then look questioningly at him.


He nods, and looks over the dagger. I notice that he's careful not to actually touch it, which seems odd.


"Why not just pick it up?" I ask.


"I don't want to disturb it with my own energies," he replies. "Where did you find it, anyhow? I've never seen one quite like it before."


"It was a little shop near Akihabara. Some guy gave me their business card. I left it at home," I say. "Want me to grab it later?"


He shakes his head, and says, "It's not important. We're done, you've got everything that it says you need."


"So all I do now is wait for the new moon, right?" I ask.


He nods again.


------------


Gosunkugi giggled to himself as he watched Ranma leave. With any luck, it would be the last time he ever saw him. Looking over the copies again, he read to himself the demon's true name. The one that he had decided not to give to Ranma.


'Yeah,' he thought, 'who knows what Ranma will end up summoning? On the other hand, who knew that he would manage to find a silver dagger?'


He looked up at the full moon. The ritual could be performed anytime, and there was no reason to wait.


------------


I look at the booklet that came with the silver dagger, no, the athame. The instructions were clear enough, and it really couldn't hurt to follow the ritual, right? 'The park is empty, the moon is full. I have to start tonight, or wait for another four weeks.'


I prick my left thumb with the point of the athame, and smear my blood along the length of the blade. Kneeling, I begin the meditation part of the ritual.


When I am done, I wipe the blade off, and sheathe it. I find it's presence is comforting.


------------


I sneak back into the house, and much to my displeasure find Nabiki up and waiting for me. "Look what the cat dragged in," she drawls.


I shudder at the image.


"You've been really quiet these last couple of weeks, Ranma. Do you have anything you want to tell me?" she asks.


Normally I'd be sweating and desperately looking for an excuse right about now, but I'm still feeling relaxed from the ritual. "I was just out walking around, and thinking..." I say.


Her gaze focuses on my left hand, and my athame. "What's with the knife, Saotome?" she asks.


'Now how did I forget about that?' "I was thinking about my honor, and my manliness," I reply. 'And where did that come from?'


She looks disturbed for some reason. I yawn, and say, "Is there anything else?"


She opens her mouth to say something, but closes it a little while later. She shakes her head, and so I head up to my room.


------------


I'm sliding the whetstone over the edge of my athame, honing it to razor sharpness. The sound it makes is comforting, and I find myself slipping into trance. Sometime later, my father slides the door open, and gives me a disapproving glare. I say, "It's not a weapon," before he can start in on me. I add, "I would never use it to shed someone else's blood."


He pales, while I try not to think about how long it would take me to purify it if I actually got someone else's blood on it. The booklet had dire warnings about that. Packing the whetstone up and re-sheathing my athame, I get ready for bed.


------------


I awake sputtering and wet, but on my mattress instead of in the pond. When I sit up, Akane sets the bucket down. I try not to notice the smile on her face.


------------


Nabiki toyed with her breakfast as she contemplated an oblivious Ranma. He had a bundle shaped and sized rather similarly to the knife he'd had last night tied to his waist. Every time Akane said something, he would rub his hand over it. He didn't even look like he knew he was doing it.


Something had changed, and that knife was the key to it.


------------


Akane's mad at me again, and this time I have no idea why, or what I've done wrong. 'Once I'm cured, will she like me more?'


I stroke my athame as I think about honor, both my family bonds and my own. I'm not sure exactly why I decided to bring it with me to school. The wrapped-up bundle is comforting in a way that I just can't explain.


------------


Nabiki watched Ranma and Akane leave for school. Normally she would have left first, but today she had some extra business to take care of at home.


"Mr. Saotome," Nabiki said. "About that seppuku pledge. Would Ranma go through with it?"


"I don't know." he sighed. "I wouldn't have thought so, until last night."


Nabiki nodded, and asked, "What is he planning on doing with that knife? I thought that the Saotome School didn't use weapons?"


He shuddered, and said, "He insists that it's not a weapon, and that he would never use it to shed someone else's blood. I don't want to think about it."


She nodded again, thoughtfully, and headed off to school.


------------


Once she got to school, Nabiki called her cohort into a meeting. "No further bets on anything Ranma-related until further notice. Go ahead and keep taking bets on the fiancees, but nothing to do with Ranma. He's too unpredictable right now."


She waited for each associate to nod, then said, "Good."


------------


As I pull myself upright, I look at Akane stalking off. 'I've been trying to make her happy, but nothing seems to work. Every day, she seems more and more angry, and she won't tell me what it was that I did to her, or how to fix it.'


------------


Most of the students had no idea that the school even employed a counselor, much less where her office was. Nabiki, of course, wasn't most students. The counselor was almost as manipulative as she was, but luckily was also far less careful. She had a penchant for young girls, and Nabiki did her best to give her what she wanted while making sure that the evidence remained safe.


She walked in without bothering to knock, ignoring the loud buzzing and even louder squeals coming from the counseling room. Moments later the counselor appeared, wiping her face off with a cloth.


"I have a problem," Nabiki said.


------------


It's almost midnight. I look around the park, and see nobody. Waiting for the last two weeks had been maddening.


'The preparations were almost too simple. Draw a circle of at least 4 meters diameter, place another circle within that one for the summoner, and a triangle for the summoned. Get a mirror for the gateway, some incense, and some spirit wards.'


I shake the jar of herbs, and take a deep breath. The scent is actually somewhat relaxing, to my surprise. Slipping into a meditative trance, I make a ripping gesture with the dagger in my left hand, and say aloud, "I open the gate to the Netherworld!"


Nothing happens, of course. It's not supposed to, not yet.


Slipping into the Soul of Ice, I follow the perimeter of the circle. It takes almost no concentration at all to place the stream of cold chi into the circle, and I am careful to finish the circle with me on the inside. With a little more concentration, I alter my aura, filling the circle with hot chi. As I had thought, it is nicely contained by the circle of cold chi.


Kneeling in the smaller circle, I light the incense and the spirit wards. I slip deeper into my trance as the smoke from the incense and the spirit wards mixes, and fills the circle. With an almost idle curiosity I watch the smoke slowly gather within the triangle, the first real sign that the ritual is working.


It seems like only seconds go by, and suddenly I realize that I've been staring at someone. As she stretches her bat-like wings I slip out of my trance. Her uneven horns remind me of the moon as she lifts her head. Her eyes catch mine, and I am stricken by her beauty.


"A human?", she says. "Why have I been summoned?"


"I have a curse.", I say. "I summoned you to obtain a cure."


She tilts her head to one side, as if considering something. "You summoned me here so that you might obtain a cure for your curse from me?", she asks.


I nod.


"What kind of curse?", she asks.


"I turn into a girl when I touch cold water. Hot water turns me back.", I say.


She nods, and looks me over very carefully. I fidget uncomfortably, while she takes her time. Finally she nods again, and leans back. She smirks, one that I recognize as the smirk that Nabiki's is a pale reflection of.


"There is the matter of... payment.", she says.


I sigh. 'I really should have known better.' "You really have a cure?", I ask.


She nods.


"What kind of payment?", I ask.


She looks me over again, and says, "You know how to fight. Fight for me."


Suddenly I feel relieved. 'Now this is something I can do.' "Who do I fight, and where?", I ask.


She shakes her head, and replies, "It's not that simple. Curing your curse will require quite a bit of magical energy. You'll have to fight for me until that debt is paid off." Thinking a bit more, she adds, "Until the debt is paid, you will be my vassal."


I look at her in shock. 'Honor-bound to a demon? Can I do this?' Finding my voice, I say, "I won't have to kill anyone, will I?"


Looking a little frustrated, she says, "Of course you would. You would support me against my enemies and rivals."


'Demons. Not people. That's a different matter entirely.' "All right. How long will it take?", I ask.


She shakes her head again, and says, "That depends on you, really. The stronger you are, the quicker it will be."


'That makes sense.' "I need some time to get ready.", I say.


"I can give you until the full moon. Is that enough time?", she asks.


I nod.


"Good. Let's formalize this, then.", she says. She pulls a pen and a scroll out from nowhere, and begins writing.


A sudden thought strikes me, and I ask, "What if I pay back more then I owe you? Will you give me something worth the extra?"


She pauses in her scribbling, and says, "I'll add that to the contract, then."


She hands me the scroll and the pen, and says, "Read it over carefully."


I nod, and brace myself for migraine-causing legalese. Instead I find that it is plainly written out.


"I, ________, agree to serve as loyal vassal to the Succubus _____, and that this agreement supersedes all other agreements past, present or future until it is satisfied. In the event that I require additional treatment, I agree to add that to my unpaid debt. If I overpay my debt, I will be compensated fairly for it. Signed _________, _____"


"Additional treatment?", I ask.


"If you got really hurt or dead, I'll get you fixed up. It costs to do that, though.", she says.


"You can make me better if I'm dead?", I ask dazedly.


She nods.


"I wouldn't end up being a zombie or anything, right?" I ask.


She laughs, and says, "Of course not."


"All right," I say. I try to write my name on the scroll, but the pen is dry. As I shake it, she says, "You have to prick yourself with it. It needs to be signed in blood."


Hesitantly I poke it into the back of my left hand. I feel a little prick, and when I pull the pen away there is no mark. When I sign my name it works, though.


I hand her back the scroll and pen, and she signs her name with a flourish after pricking her hand. Then she does something to the scroll, and it comes apart into two scrolls. She hands one to me, and as I grab it it disappears.


"It will be there when you need it.", she says.


I nod, uncertainly.


"Remember, you have until the full moon.", she says.


"I'll be ready.", I say.


Suddenly she is gone, and the incense isn't burning anymore. I let the chi loose, and enjoy the breeze as the hot and cold mix and dissipate. Standing up, I open the scroll which appears in my hand, and reread it.


"Her name.. is Cindy?"