Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 10 - By Myself ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 10: By Myself

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<....> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Opening his eyes, Shinai looks around carefully, his mind trying to place his surroundings. His eyes fall on Cologne and a young man whom he does not recognize. Weakly, he tries to sit up, only to have his sore muscles collapse from lack of energy.

Cologne:        Ah, you are awake...If I were you, I’d let your body heal. Ranma did a thorough job when he beat you up. It’ll be at least 2 weeks before you can move out of that bed again.

Shinai:          <Just...great. Even with how easily my bones heal, that’s still a week no matter what.>

The young man moves over to where Shinai is laying, his gentle face filled with concern.

Tofu:            Hello Shinai. Cologne has told me a little about you. And seeing as Ranma administered his own form of justice, I felt I should look in on you. I am Dr. Tofu, a good family friend of Ranma’s. I’ve been treating his family along with the Tendo family for quite some time now.

Cologne:        Shinai, I know you understand him, so don’t try to play dead, or dumb for that factor. I think there are a few things we should warn you about regarding Ranma.

Shinai:          <Warn me about Ranma? I think it’s a bit too late for that... At least Ranma lives up to his reputation as a skilled fighter.>

Nodding his head, Shinai focuses his gaze on Cologne who is perched contentedly on her staff.

Cologne:        Child, do you think you can write? The doctor and I can’t ask questions all day, and I understand why you do not speak. But, if you can focus past the pain, we could use some answers now.

Shinai:          <Given my current condition, who am I to argue with her?>

Nodding again, Shinai grips the proffered pen in his right hand. Slowly, a question appears on the pad, pain lancing through Shinai’s hand.

Shinai:          (What is it you wish to know?)

Tofu:            Ah, this will make things easier. Well for one, how about your history? You are one of my patients now, and I need to know as much as I can about you.

Shinai:          (Not to be rude, but I talk little about myself, to anyone. However, I think I have little choice in this matter. One, I am 19 years old, although I do not look it. So, if you do not mind, I would prefer it if you did not call me child, Cologne.)

Cologne:        [chuckling] I will keep that in mind Shinai. But, it is in my nature, and that is not easily changed. I still call Ranma a child, among other things.

Tofu:            Now, you have heard of Jusenkyo, or even been there for that matter?

Shinai:          (Yes, and no. I had heard of it, and the curses the springs carry. I left them alone in my travels. Why do you ask?)

Tofu:            It is quite simple actually. Ranma has a curse that originates from there. He fell in the Nyaniicuhan; The Spring of Drowned Girl.

Shinai’s mind reels as that simple statement is processed. So, Ranma looked like Ranko...or were they the same person?

Shinai:          (Ok, that I can understand. Tell me; are Ranma and Ranko two people or one? I did not see a difference and that’s how I got in this situation.)

Cologne:        Oh, they are two different people. And yet, they are the same. I will explain later, Shinai. Doctor, if you would continue.

Tofu:            Ranma has had this curse for a few years now. Cold water turns him into his female form, and hot water restores him. Do not think he is an inept fighter in his cursed form though. I have personally seen him prove this many times over. Ranma is married to Akane Tendo, and if you like living, you would do well to either stay away from her, or tread lightly around her. Ranma will make this beating preferable if you were to slight Akane in any way. Akane and Ranma share a very unique bond...

Shinai:          (I can’t or won’t try to explain it, but I know what you say is true. One of my masters taught me to believe everything that I see until I can prove that it is false. With Ranma, there is nothing to prove false...my body can attest to that.)

Cologne:        This is where I step in. Simply put, those two are bound together, now and forever. To harm one is to harm the other. And neither of them is known for their courtesy towards somebody who harms them.

Shinai:          (Ranko...what of her?)

Cologne:        Single-minded aren’t we? Well, Ranko is Ranma’s twin sister. And she is no less dangerous than Ranma or Akane. Ranma alone killed Saffron for the sake of Akane. While Ranko hasn’t done anything to that extent, she has as much potential as her brother...I do not want to see what the three of them together could do to somebody.

Shinai:          <Saffron?! This guy is indeed powerful.>

Cologne:        Judging by the look of shock on your face, I seem to have gotten your attention. Believe me, it is true. Ranko is the most sociable of the three, primarily because she had no life until recently. That and her nature is one of kindness in comparison to Ranma’s.

Shinai:          (If that’s true, then I got off lightly with just a fractured shoulder...)

Tofu:            What? Ranko fractured your shoulder? I couldn’t find any prior injury when I looked you over.

Shinai:          (I suppose it’s from my training. My bones heal faster, and easier than normal. I can also use a broken limb for as long as my pain tolerance holds out. With my hollow bones, I HAD to learn how to work around that weakness.)

Tofu:            Yes, I was going to ask you about that. I thought it a birth defect, but you seem perfectly healthy. Albeit, a little short, but other than that, perfectly normal.

Shinai:          (One of my masters trained me to react faster and faster. As this happened, my bones grew lighter and lighter. Eventually, they became as they are now.)

Cologne:        <So that’s how it happened. He’d almost be ready for the Amaguriken training, if he’d let me teach him.>

Tofu:            Interesting. Well, as to Ranko, I would advise that you be....careful around her. She is very much like her brother. There have been cases when Ranma was the calm one, and she flew off the handle. Tell me, why this sudden interest in Ranko?

Shinai:          (There are some things even I do not understand, Doctor.  Initially my interest was in challenging Ranma, as I heard of his reputation. It appears I grossly underestimated him. I thought that the rumors were just that, and I found out the hard way just how wrong I was. As to Ranko, she made one lasting impression on me when I first met her. Partly due to a full body dropkick into a tree, I think...)

Cologne:        Underestimated? You fought like a new student, with absolutely no skill whatsoever. I suggest that you rethink challenging Ranma. He’s not liable to be as forgiving next time; especially if it is a formal challenge. <As it stands, he only held off BECAUSE of Ranko...why?>

Tofu:            Tell me Shinai, just whose disciple are you? Cologne mentioned that you are of the Shin’yuu warriors. And we have little actual knowledge, just legend.

Shinai:          (If it is that important, you will be patient. Things will reveal themselves in time; primarily when I can move freely again. Once I determine how things are, I will tell you what I know, if I feel like it. I apologize for my brusqueness, but there is a reason why so little is known of the Shin’yuu.)

Cologne:        Fair enough, child. Now, what was it that you did to Ranma? I couldn’t see too clearly, and I would like to know what set his temper off so quickly. Not that it takes much, but I am still curious.

Shinai:          (One, I thought that was Ranko. I did not know that was Ranma, or of his condition. As to my intentions, that is for me...and Ranma to know. What’s done is done; the least I can do is inform him about what I did.)

Tofu:            [whispering] So many questions, with so few answers. Such is the nature of life…

Cologne:        For now, I will take you at your word, Shinai. I would hope that you will tell me later, if you feel I have earned it.

Shinai:          (You will know in due course...Elder, whether the information comes from me or Ranma.)

Cologne:        You need not call me Elder, unless you feel it is needed.

Tofu:            Shinai, when you feel up to it, there are more questions I would ask you. However, I have other duties to attend to at my clinic. My door is open to you, as a friend, and doctor.

Shinai:          (Thank you.)

Glancing one last time at Shinai, Dr. Tofu leaves the room, a multitude of new questions regarding Shinai springing to mind.

Tofu:            <In time, he may choose to talk to me. Until then, I must respect his wishes.>

Cologne:        Now, you wish to know more about Ranko, I assume.

Shinai:          (Yes, and no. I would rather hear it from her, but I do have a few questions...)

Cologne:        Well? I will answer in the manner I feel is appropriate.

Shinai:          (Well, you said that up until recently, she had no life. What did you mean by that?)

Cologne:        Exactly what I said. Initially, Ranko died at birth. However, Ranko’s spirit lived on only in Ranma, and his dreams, until recently. He is the sole reason that she is alive today.

Shinai:          <He...brought her back to life? First, he kills Saffron, and now he restores life to his sister.>

Cologne:        Judging by your lack of writing, you must find this hard to believe. That or you are re-evaluating Ranma and Ranko. Which is it?

Shinai:          (Both. While I believe almost everything I see, it still is surprising to hear. Just how close are those two; appearances aside?)

Cologne:        You’ll have to get them to tell you that. Just like you, they don’t tell me everything, and I understand why.

Shinai:          (Fair is fair, I suppose.  Forgive the cynicism, but why are you helping me now? I can understand the first day, but why do you continue to help? I offer you nothing, yet you tolerate me. Why is that?)

Cologne:        I suppose the best way to think of it is a form of atonement. I did many things in the past...for which I will never forgive myself. Besides, you are bringing about a familiar state of life; chaos.

Shinai:          (I suppose I can give you this much information, provided that it stays between us. Is that too much to ask?)

Cologne:        Sadly, yes. I hope that you change your mind, but I will respect your wishes.

Shinai:          (One, I am…the last one. I will not explain it, but you should be able to understand the implications. As to Ranma; I gave him the Mark of Life. I can not harm him willingly, unless it is he who sets up the fight. I can only defend myself around him, as you saw earlier.)

Cologne:        I can see why you were reluctant to tell me...When you do inform Ranma, do it very carefully. I do not know what he may or may not do. He is unpredictable to say the least. And the manner in which you...gifted him has set him on edge.

Shinai:          (I will keep that in mind for the future, Elder. For now, I must take a break. I enjoyed this little discussion, but I need my rest if I am to be up and about anytime soon.)

Letting the pen fall from his hand, Shinai begins to fall asleep. As his eyes close, his thoughts are on a pair of dangerous, yet beautiful redheads. Gently taking the pad of paper and pen with her, Cologne smiles as she heads downstairs, focusing her thoughts on the young martial artist asleep upstairs.

Cologne:        <It appears there is more to Shinai than he has told me. Maybe the Council will know something of him, or his family.>

Hearing the door to the Nekohanten open, Cologne glances up, and is surprised to see Ranko standing there, her face full of confusion.

Cologne:        <It appears you and Ranma are indeed alike Shinai. You both attract trouble and keep interesting company.> How can I help you today, Ranko?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note: The enigma known as Shinai has a history, but is keeping quiet. What is it that he seeks to hide? And how will Ranma, Ranko, and Akane deal with this new...problem?

And I have to seriously thank my beta reader DoctorEmmitBrown. He keeps poking, prodding, and otherwise makes it impossible to ignore this story.

Next Chapter: Chapter 11 – My Way  (Artist: Limp Bizkit, Album: Chocolate Starfish and the Hot-Dog Flavored Water)