Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wounded (now with spacing) ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Okay… This is a re-post, where I'm trying to make the story more readable by putting in more spaces and paragraphs…
Hope it's better now…
So, enjoy!
 
Oh - and I don't own any of the Ranma ½ characters! *dries a tear* But - the plot and storyline is all mine!!! *glares*
#8#8#8#8#8#8#8#8#
 
Wounded
Chapter 1
 
Akane scanned the crowd with experienced eyes, unconsciously noticing every exit and dead end, making several plans for escape, while she on the conscious level looked for a safe source for information. She pointedly ignored all the burly men that looked her up and down, undressing her with their eyes, and just walked slowly across the room around the fighting ring in the centre. Through the cigarette-thick air she could see over a hundred men buzzing about and a couple of women too, although she would rather pick a fight with the men than the women she saw. The people where from 16 to 60 years or older, and there where three groups of them; those who came to fight, those who came to watch and place bets on the fights, and of course those who made the show run smoothly. The room was dark and dirty, the only light falling onto the ring, and it gave the place a feeling much like a dungeon from the medieval times. She felt out of place in her slightly tomboyish clothes, with everyone else dressing like pimps in expensive dresses, or in well-worn fighting costumes. Her own pin-striped grey business suit, with pants that fitted tightly over her butt and thighs, wide boot-cut legs, and a jacket that fitted perfectly over her thin white blouse, (clothes which her sister Nabiki had bought for her to wear when she worked for her) made her stand out like a supermodel in a freak-show. Still, she was thankful that she didn't have to wear the micro-skirts that her sister favoured. As she had pointed out to Nabiki; if she was going to play bodyguard for her when Nabiki was out on `business', she needed clothes she could fight in. Absentmindedly, she threw her long braid over her shoulder, and was about to turn back to the entrance when she spotted a girl walking towards the changing rooms in the back. Walking quickly she avoided several groping hands, and stopped the girl in her path.
 
“Hi, my name is Tendo Akane. Would you mind talking with me for a couple of minutes?” Akane introduced herself with a friendly voice and a trying smile, yet kept her guard up without inviting for trouble.
 
The girl frowned at her suspiciously, looking her up and down with a glance, and finally gave a short nod.
 
“Well, I was wondering if you had some knowledge to share about this place? Any special `rules' I should know of, or any people you could tell me about? I noticed you walk like a martial artist, so I thought you might know your way around here…” Akane swept a look over the room as she talked, checking if anyone tried to listen in and looked for signs of trouble. The girl she talked to noticed the glance she gave the room, and smiled slightly back to Akane.
 
“If you want to, we can go somewhere else and talk. I just arrived here a few days ago myself, but I'm willing to share what I know.” She said
 
Akane's smile grew a bit wider at that, happy she had judged the girl correctly, and indicated with her hand for the girl to lead the way. The girl looked up to one of the narrow windows under the high roof, and sighed when she saw it was still raining. Shrugging, she lead the way towards the entrance and out to the wet streets where she pointed to a small café up the street.
 
“Would that be okay for you? I'd like to grab a bite to eat while I'm out here.”
 
“Sure. I'll even pay for your food in exchange for the info.”
 
The girl lead Akane up the street, grinning even more now with the prospects of something to eat for free. Inside the café there were several available tables to choose from, but the girl headed straight for a table which overlooked most of the café, while still giving the needed private feeling, and with several options for a quick exit if necessary. Akane was relieved that she'd chosen a safe table and sat down opposite the girl, deciding to order something warm for herself too as the waitress approached.
 
While they waited for their food to come, Akane looked more closely at the girl. She was slightly smaller than herself, with red hair ending in a thin pigtail down her back and clear blue eyes under long lashes. Her eyes had a hard, guarded glint in them, and there was a thin, long scar going from under her left eye down to her jaw that Akane almost hadn't noticed. Her worn red Chinese shirt was several sizes too large for her, as was the black fighting pants she had on. The girl held her hands tightly together in front of her, and obviously was analysing Akane much like she had been. Akane gave her a warm smile, and saw a mix of emotions escaping her eyes before they became guarded again. Still, the smile obviously made her relax more, and she smiled shyly back.
 
“So, can I ask why you want info about the fight-club? You don't exactly look like the ordinary bookie or gangster that usually hangs around the place…”
 
The waitress came back just then, and Akane waited to answer until their order had been put down and they were left alone again.
 
“It's not really for me. I'm just snooping around before the fight tomorrow. It's my sister that wants all the information she can get. She's been handling money since before she could walk, and she's the best when it comes to making deals and handling bets.” Akane smiled partially proud and partially ironic, thinking about her sister. “What about you? Do you fight?”
 
“Yeah, I guess you could say so.” Obviously the red-head didn't want to talk about it, so Akane decided to not push her luck before she had gotten what she needed.
 
“Anyways, could you start by telling me some of the obvious things about this fight-club? Any special details you have picked up?”
 
“The first thing I noticed was that they don't treat girls very nicely there.” The red-head snickered. “So you might want to bring with you something else than just your fists tomorrow.”
 
“You didn't seem to have much of a problem, though..?”
 
“They know me… Other than that, you should keep an eye out for a guy wearing a huge purple fur coat - he's running the bets for the locale `Mafioso', and a huge woman with a whip wearing latex or leather - she's the caretaker for the fight-club manager, and she takes care of the money that threatens to leave with those that aren't approved of by the management. There's also a couple of rich kids I've noticed that likes to play around at the fight-nights, and the management approves of them. You'll know what I mean when you see them.”
 
“Okay, I think I can remember most of that. I'll just put down a couple of notes just in case. One sec' please.” Akane whipped out a small notebook and quickly put down a few words. When she looked back up she was surprised to see that the red-head had already inhaled her entire XXL meal, and was now trying to not stare at Akane's half-eaten meal. Akane suddenly felt bad for the girl, for some reason imagining her going hungry for days at a time, and looked down on her plate.
 
“Umm… This was really good, but I'm all filled up already… Do you think the owners will find it rude if I don't finish the meal..?” she looked back up at the red-head.
 
“If you want to, I can finish it for you?” the red-head answered quickly, trying to hide her hopeful expression.
 
“Would you?” Akane shoved her plate towards the girl, who smiled brightly to her. She didn't take long to eat up the rest of the food, and she soon leaned happily back in her chair, stretching lazily.
 
“Thanks, that was good. Was there anything else you wanted to know?”
 
“Let's see...” Akane looked at some notes she had in her book, skimming through a couple of pages. “I've talked to some people about the fighters for tomorrow. Would you mind double-checking what I've got?”
 
“If you let me have a look, I'll check it with what I know already.” The red-head looked through the pages, using a pen to correct a couple of things, and added some names and numbers. Akane looked at what she wrote, and frowned in confusion at one of the numbers the girl had changed.
 
“Why did you change the numbers so drastically for Saotome?”
 
“Let me just say that I've got some inside information, and as a thank you for a nice meal and pleasant company, I can tell you that that guy has a lot more going than he lets people know. He's plenty smart when it comes to fighting. With the adjustments I made, you should make lots of money.”
 
“Well, I like to look at the fighters for myself before it all starts, my sister trusts my judgment, but I appreciate the advise. I'll have it in mind tomorrow. If what you say is true, then you might have saved us a lot of money… Here, take this.” Akane handed the girl a business-card. “It's my sister's company, but I've written my name and number on the back also. If you ever need a favour, just call. Officially she's an investigator, with specialities in the economics field, but whatever it is you might need, we can get it for you.” Akane got up, left money on the table for the waitress, nodded briefly to the red-head and left the café. The girl almost didn't notice her leaving as she was studying the card intensely, turning it around and reading it again and again.
 
#8#8#
 
The red-headed girl walked back to the fight-club through the rain, muttering intently to herself from time to time. Several thoughts ran through her head, and if someone who didn't know her had heard them, they would have believed that she was demented or worse. #I could trace down mom, see if the old man told the truth to me - which would be a first. If nothing else, I could see her grave, if there is one. And if they could find my old man…then I could beat the living shit out of the stupid panda…make him pay, finally…# Walking through the club to the changing rooms in the back, her thoughts changed. #Akane Tendo…I wonder how she'll react when she learns the truth. Will she be disgusted, like so many others? I bet she'll never give me one of those heartbreaker-smiles again… But I need to know the truth about mom. I've waited so long.# Sighing deeply, she scooped up her things, ignored several guys looking her over, and giving the optimistic ones deadly stares so they quickly scurried out of her way, and walked out of the club again. #Stupid of her to wander in here alone. Even if she knows some martial arts - with the way she moved, and the positions she placed herself in it was obvious she's been doing this for a while - she still was way outnumbered if some of the guys in the club had decided to have some fun. Lucky for her that I got her out that soon. I could see the lust creeping into several of the slime-balls around here.# Walking up to a big concrete building, she whisked out her keys and locked herself in, heading up to her apartment taking the stairs in huge leaps. #Not that I don't get why they wanted her. Just the innocence and naiveté that radiated off her alone is enough for half of the club to go wild. Not much of that around here, and enough people who likes to destroy pure things like her. Bastards.# She stepped up to the door to her apartment, locked it up and walked in, slamming the door shut. Locking it, she turned and headed straight for the bathroom, throwing off her clothes as she walked, and stepped into the shower. #With those expensive clothes, she lighted up the place like a neon sign. You could see they were tailored, the way they clung perfectly to her curves. And she had plenty of that. Slim, well-built, cute, with a radiating smile, that long, thick blue-black hair and those large chocolate eyes… Who wouldn't want something like her to play with during the long nights... Jeez, those guys I see every day sure has filled my brain with perverted thoughts..! But I guess they're only putting into words the things I hardly dare to think…# Stepping back out of the shower, wiping the mirror over the sink with a rough hand, Ranma Saotome looked at his reflection; a handsome, strong young man, with clear blue eyes with a thin scar running from under his left eye down towards his jaw, his black hair in a pigtail, and his muscled torso covered with several scars. #We'll see what happens tomorrow…#