Remote Fan Fiction ❯ X-Men Origins: Kagome Higurashi ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter One
Kagome Higurashi had spent five years of her life living in the past, fighting off youkai that wanted her either dead, as a mate, for dinner, or to harness her powers for their own gain. In that time she had made amazing friends and allies, human, half demons and youkai alike. But with that friendship she came across enemies that wanted to stop them from destroying their plans.
With the help of her friends she had defeated the greatest evil ever know. Yet when the Shikon no Tama sent her back to her own time, sealing the well once again, the young miko was at a lost as to what to do with her life. She knew in her heart that returning to a life before the well was not an option.
She had spent so long living in a time where she had to constantly fight to stay alive and survive for another day. But now, in a time without youkai and being in possession of the complete Shikon, she wondered. How was her life going to be now?
Only home for a week, she received the answer to her question. He had come to ask her to join his Brotherhood. To join him and others like them in a war against those who wished to suppress their powers, because they feared them.
He had explained to her that she wasn’t a miko, that she held similar powers of what a miko was expected to hold. But that her powers would go above and beyond what she was told she could do. That in time he could help her unlock her potential, and she would be the key to their victory.
But what he didn’t tell her was the battle was against those she had fought so hard to protect in the past to have the future they had now. Magneto had gotten to her first, and if he could keep her in the dark, then the Brotherhood would win. Charles wouldn’t get this one.
***New York***
The elderly man wheeled himself out of the room, a frown on his face as he tried to figure what it was he had been feeling for the last few weeks. It had him worried that something terrible was going to happen, and soon. He was so deep in thought he didn’t even realize he was being followed by one of the many students he taught.
“Professor, you look like you have a lot on your mind. Care to share?”
Charles Xavier looked up to face one of his most powerful students. Thou she was no longer a student but a teacher now.
“I’m sorry Jean, I sense something, and no matter how hard I try to pin point where it is coming from I feel nothing. Cerebo can’t find this being, and for this to happen, it may mean something isn’t right.” Professor Xavier spoke, still curious as to why it also felt familiar to him also.
“I know what you mean,” Jean spoke moving her red hair from her face, “It feels frightening in a way. Not towards me, but I feel as if they are calling out for help.” Her green eyes looked distant, as if she could feel it again.
She, like the professor, had the ability of telepathy and many others also. It was part of their mutation, a gift to some and a curse to others. Those who had mutated had evolved to have abilities not normal to humans, some having control of elemental powers, physic or telepathic powers, or even superhuman. And like her there were others who used their powers to help. While others, like the Brotherhood wanted to erase humans from the planet, because they believed themselves as the superior race.
“I believe we will need to gather the others. If this being is in need of our help, then who is suppressing their powers, and why?” Charles questioned as he made his way to his study.
“Maybe it is a trap, set up by the Brotherhood?” Jean offered in explaination, thou if this was the case it would mean they were using an unwilling mutant to call the X-Men out. And it had to be someone they knew. But no one they knew had that kind of power. It even surpassed her and Magmas abilities.
Charles paused in thought. When he first sensed this mutant it had been two weeks ago. Had the X-Men not been on a dangerous mission he would have requested that they seek this new mutant out. But what bothered him the most was where this new mutant was. And if what he feared was happening then they would have to move fast.
“Jean, call everyone to the briefing room. I need to make a call. I have a feeling we are both right.” Charles ordered as he turned into his study leaving Jean standing in the hallway alone.
Jean nodded in agreement. Her green eyes worried as the voice once again called out for help before it was forced into silence.
Charles made his way to his desk and picked up the cordless phone from its craddle. He hesitated for a moment, wondering if her mother would be unwilling for him to make contact with her only daughter.
In fact, in the last five years he had continuously sent the young girl letters, only to have them returned to sender unopened. He knew it was her mother’s doing as occasionally he would receive letters asking why he forgot her, forgot his promise. But he never did. He just waited for when she was done with her responsibility she had now.
Making up his mind he dialed a number he could never forget and waited, hoping he was wrong.
“Hello, Higurashi residents. This is Souta speaking,” came a young male voice.
He smiled, thinking of the picture she had sent him of her and the boy years ago. He was also thankful his mother had not answered the phone instead.
“Hello Souta, is your sister Kagome home?” He asked, anxious to find his thoughts where wrong, that the young girl was there and would come to the phone.
It would be the first time he would be able to speak to her in seven years since the incident.
“Kagome no longer lives here anymore. A man named Magnus came for her last week. Said he could help her adjust to what she is going through. But I can tell her you called when she calls home soon.” Souta said, answering his worse fears.
“No Souta, that’s fine. I know where she is. I am sorry to have disturbed you. Please continue with your day son.” Charles said, holding back the emotions that were trying to overwhelm him at what he now knew.
“Okay. Um..mister do you think you could ask Kagome to call when you see her? I miss my sister.” Souta said, sounding depress at losing her yet again because she was different.
“I shall pass the message on.” He answered, hoping he would be able to do so.
“Thanks.” And with that the phone went dead.
Charles slammed the phone into the cradle in anger. He now knew what he had been sensing, and what was suppressing her from being found. This wasn’t a trap set up by the Brotherhood, this was Magneto using his own niece against him.
***The Briefing Room***
Jean Greg stood in the briefing room with the other members of the X-Men, waiting for the Professor to come down and inform them of their new mission. She had been trying to reach out to this being since her talk with him to see if she could figure out where, and what was being done to the poor thing.
Scott, her husband watched her as she began to rub her temples in frustration. Trying so hard was draining her much quicker than it should have. And not knowing was making her worry that maybe it was because this mutant wasn’t alive any longer.
The others stood around the room waiting, some more patient than others. She wondered if she should let them know what her and the Professor where seeking. But as she stood up from the wall to speak the door opened and entered the Professor. She could feel the emotions coming off him. Whatever his phone call had been about had not brought good news it seemed.
“Good afternoon all. I’m very sorry to have called you here on this beautiful day. But there is something I must ask of you all to do for me.” Charles started, “For the last few weeks I have felt a powerful mutant across the world. I had hoped after your last mission that I could send you to bring this mutant to us, so that we may ask them to join us. Today I have found out who this mutant is, as I know her personally.”
“What do you mean Professor? I thought you couldn’t even pin point this mutant.” Jean spoke up, wonder exactly what that phone call had been about.
Charles sighed, wondering if he should withhold the information of who she was, but then if they knew what she meant to him they would all have a better understanding as to why he wanted her found and brought here.
“When I first sensed her I didn’t realize it was her. But after calling her home I have found that Magneto has gotten to her first, and he knows who she is and what she means.” He said, vaguely answering Jean’s question.
“Magneto’s found this mutant? One who’s power you could feel half way across the planet. Isn’t this bad?” Hank spoke up; he knew if this was true than this new mutant had powers like that of Jean and Allison, and for Magneto to have this mutant at his beck and call was dangerous.
“It is, because this girl wants help.” Jean said, understanding what Hank was asking.
“Jean, what are you saying?’ Scott asked, concerned if this mutant was what was causing her to feel so drained the last few days.
“Jean has informed me that she has been hearing this mutants crying out for help, and if this is whom I believe it to be I know why.” Charles said looking closely at Jean.
“Why?” she asked.
“You meet her when you were young, when she came here for a summer to visit. You two instantly bonded, and if she is indeed in danger, then she would call out to you and me for help.”
Jean looked confused at his explanation, how could someone bond with her in such a way, and who was this girl that she had no memory of. No one just came to Xavier’s to visit for a summer, right?
“Professor, maybe if you explained more to us we could understand what we are facing.” Ororo said seeking to understand how someone could communicate from so far away. Jean had to be close by to speak with you. But this girl was nowhere near by, and maybe even being kept covered, and reaching out for the Professor and Jean.
“Her name is Kagome Higurashi, and she is a mutant of her own class. Yet unlike Jean and Allison she has complete control of her powers. And I have yet to figure out the extent of her powers, as they adapt to her situation. She is my niece, and Magneto knows of her, and if he has her, he plans to use her as a weapon. But she is fighting him off, and trying to get in touch with myself.” Charles explained, knowing more questions would come from revealing her as his family.
“You have a niece?” Hank asked, confused as the Professor claimed to have no full blooded relatives.
“Yes, her father is my brother. A human, who carried the mutant gene and passed it on to his daughter, it didn’t help that her mother came from a long line of shrine maidens and passed on to her miko abilities.” Charles explained, “When Kagome had reached maturity and her powers started to show her father asked me to put up mental barriers to keep them hidden. I was to wait till she came of age for her to come here and train.”
“So she’s of age now?” Scott asked, curious as to why this girl couldn’t come when she first started showing signs of being a mutuant.
“Kagome is twenty now. When she turned eighteen I couldn’t ask her to come due to the fact her mother refused to allow me any contact with her. She wasn’t happy that her husband had made her daughter into a mutant. And Kagome had a responsibility that I couldn’t take her away from.” He said, glad that part of her life was over.
“Alright, so what do you want us to do about it Uncle Charles?” Logan finally asked. He had been quite through the whole conversation, which was surprising for the rest of the X-Men.
Xavier glared at Logan at his little joke. He didn’t find the situation funny at all, seeing as his niece was in danger of becoming a weapon for Magneto. If anything happen to her he would never be able to forgive his friend, even thou he tried so hard to reach out to him. This would be the final straw.
“Find Kagome, and bring her here. It is time we start training her. And when she is ready she will join you.” He answered; weary of how Kagome would be to see him.
“Alright X-Men you heard him, let’s roll out!” Scott said making his way to the X Jet. This wasn’t just your run of the mill mission, this was important, and could mean life or death of not only the human race, but the Professors niece.
***Deep in the Mountains***
“Blasted girl, that’s the fifth time today I’ve had to sedate her, and she burned me with those stupid powers of hers.” Sabertooth grumbled as he exited the chamber the young girl slept in.
“I told you not to let her see the television, but you had to have a weak moment for the girl.” Magneto spoke, not caring that the animal got burnt doing his dirty work.
“You try listening to her constant whining and not give in just so she’d shut up.” He growled, irritated that he had to play babysitter.
“Stop your whining, the next time she wakes up and starts screaming I’ll be the one to sedate her for good.” Mystique said with a smile.
“Now, now, play nice boys and girl. We can’t keep drugging the poor girl or the plan will never work,” Magneto stood up and walked around the desk facing his two partners, “We need her and the object she carries for us to wipe out the human race so that mutant’s will be able to live freely without judgment for being the more superior race.”
“Somehow, I don’t see that working out any time soon…” Sabertooth whispered as he thought of all the burns he had received trying to get the girl to calm down. He was lucky he had such quick healing abilities or else she would have burned him with that weird energy of hers.
“You are right, that is why we will be giving her to Charles. After some time with him and training her of her abilities we will then return for her. By then I will have figured a way to not only use her but keep her under my influence.” Magneto said smiling at how clever he was and that once again he would be a step ahead of Charles Xavier.
Little did the three of them know was that miko was becoming immune to the sedatives they used on her, as her body understood the danger they were to her. She had been quite as she made her way to the other cavern and heard what they had planned. Didn’t she deserve a break from power hungry fools who thought that using her and the Shikon would grant their greatest wish? Didn’t they know that a selfish wish would destroy not only them but the people the wish affected? She had to get out of here, and take the Shikon with her. Uncle Charles lived in New York, and he would be able to help her.
Slipping back to her cave she sat on the bed they had given her and thought of how she could get out of the maze of caves this Brotherhood stayed in. When they had brought her here she had seen so many mutants like herself and this Magneto character. She could feel their power, knew what they could do to her if she crossed them. But they didn’t know hers.
She knew what she was since she turned thirteen, as after her father’s death Uncle Charles had come all the way from New York to explain to her what she was going to face. He had offered a way to suppress those powers to keep her safe, until she came of age as her mother refused to let her have anything to do with him. She was outraged that her first husband had been the one to make her daughter into a mutant. Thou her mother never blamed her, or treated her harshly, she blamed Xavier.
It was the last time she had seen or heard from him. But it never stopped her from writing letters to him and telling him of what she was doing. He was the only one outside her immediate family that knew of her time traveling. She had received one letter from him, and after reading it she had found that her mother had been sending his letters back. It had been when her mother took Souta and grandpa on vacation and she had returned home angry at Inuyasha. She had cried when she read it, missing him so much. She had wrote back telling him she was sorry, and that as soon as her mission in the past was done she would seek him out.
But this Magneto had come and told her he was a friend of her uncles, which he was going to bring her to him so that she could master the powers he had locked to keep her from the hate humans had on their kind. And because of her foolishness to trust in others she was now somewhere in America in the deepest forest being guarded by powerful mutants.
She knew that everyone ate dinner together, as Magneto liked to have his “family” time. It would be during this time she would sneak out to grab the Shikon from his desk where he kept it hidden. And while everyone was eating she and the jewel would be long gone. And if anyone tried to stop her she would take them out, Inuyasha style if she had too.
Her only hope thou was that her uncle, being a strong telepath, would have heard her calling out for him. It had been one of the few things he had taught her as a little girl when she visited him during the summers, before her parents divorced due to her mother finding out he was a mutant. If he did hear her then she was sure he had sent out his X-Men to find her. And once she got out of this cave she was going to open up that connection as wide as it could so he could find her.
But for now she had to wait. Laying back down she went back to sleep so that the man that reminded her of the youkai she fought in the pass would leave her alone and quite trying to drug her up. Thou she deserved it for trying to purify him with her powers. A two hour nap and she would be reenergized and on her way out with the jewel. And no one would be the wiser.
***The X Jet***
Jean sat looking out the window of the X Jet, waiting for Kagome to call out for her again. They had been in the air for a while now, looking for signs of a hideout that Magneto and his Brotherhood would use to keep the girl hidden. But nothing had come up. Hank was watching the heat censored map intently, as to not miss anything that could lead them to where the girl was being kept. Storm and Scott flew the Jet as low as they could so Hank’s computers could capture and mutant energy, while keeping the ship cloaked in the process. Logan was sharpening his claws, ready for the fight that he hoped was sure to happen.
‘Help me!’
Instantly Jean stood up. It was Kagome, she was calling out for her again.
“She here!” Jean said, informing the team that this time she could feel Kagome’s energy reaching out for her.
“There is a rather bright energy running in the forest, but it is alone. Could it be the girl?” Hank asked, as his censors had just picked up the girls mutant energy on his map.
“Scott can we land anywhere near by? It’s her, I know it!” Jean asked coming to stand over her husband’s shoulder.
“There’s a clearing up a head, once we land we can split up and search for her. Can you stay with the jet and help us find her, and maybe what way she came from?” Scott asked, hoping they could find out where Magneto’s hideout is.
“No, I’m going to go find her. She doesn’t know any of you. If she’s afraid and as powerful as the Professor says she’ll attack, especially if she thinks you’re with Magneto.” Jean said pushing a button to open the drop door as Storm landed the jet.
Not even letting it fully touch the ground Jean was out the door and running towards where she felt Kagome the most. For some reason, the girl could communicate with her, but she couldn’t communicate back. She was vaguely aware that Logan had ignored her request and was following her into the forest.
“I said to stay back Logan.” She called out as he caught up with her.
“I’m not your lap dog girl, I don’t take orders, and I can smell the girl out, unlike you. She’s still suppressing her powers so Magneto can’t find her.” Logan growled, understanding the girl might not be trained, but she sure as hell wasn’t stupid either.
The two ran in silence as they followed the trail Logan had picked up. After a few minutes of running they found the girl standing at the edge of a cliff, a river flowed nearby cascading into a waterfall to a pool below to form yet again into a winding river. She looked at them wide eyed, scared out of her mind. Jean noticed a small trinket dangling in her hand and wondered how it could have the same power as the girl.
“Kagome Higurashi?” Jean asked, trying to stay calm as to not frighten the girl.
She worried when she kept looking to them and over her shoulder, as if contemplating jumping if it meant getting away from Magneto. But they we’re Magneto’s allies, they were here on her uncles orders.
“Who are you? How do you know my name?” She asked, glaring at the two in front of her. She kept looking down at the drop to the pool below. If they were with Magneto she was going to jump. Damn if she made it or not, the jewel would be impossible to find in the raging river, especially if it met with the ocean.
“My name is Jean Greg, I know your uncle, Professor Charles Xavier. He sent us here to rescue you.” Jean spoke calmly, slowly making her way towards the girl.
“That’s what he said, try again.” The girl said taking a step backwards towards the cliff edge.
Jean hesitated, understanding that Magneto probably used the Professor as a way to get her to agree to come with him. But she had nothing else to offer the girl, as even thou the two had meet when they were younger neither recognized the other now.
“Listen here girl; we are here to take you away from the bad guys. So unless you want to jump to your death be my guest, otherwise I got no problems taking you back to the jet kicking and screaming.” Logan growled; think of how he could get her away from the edge without them tumbling to the bottom.
Kagome instantly turned to glare at the other. She hated being called by other names besides her own. It just pissed her off, and reminded her of her travels in the past. He, like Sabertooth, had energy similar to a youkai, but unlike Sabertooth, his was a lot stronger, almost Sesshoumaru strong.
“My name is Kagome,” she said taking a step towards Logan,” not girl,” step “ wench,” step “bitch,” step “or hey you for that matter.” step “It’s Ka Go Me!!!” she yelled, now standing in front of the infuriating male.
Logan smirked at how genius he really was, but his ear ringed at her screaming her name as if he cared. Lifting his right arm he punched the girl in her temple, knocking her out for a bit.
“Well, that went better than I thought it would.” He said with a smirk, noticing the evil look Jean sent him for hurting the girl.
“The Professor isn’t going to be happy that you knocked his niece out just for her to come with us.” Jean said disapprovingly.
“It was better than the other option of trying to find her dead body after she jumped over that cliff…” he said without a care as to what Xavier would say to his method of getting the girl to come peacefully.
“I could have caught her and you know that.” Jean reminded him.
“Would have took too long, and she seems immune to you, so how do you know it would have worked?” He shot back.
Jean ignored him as they made their way back to the X Jet. They had Kagome, even if she didn’t agree with Logan’s means of getting her to come with. By the time the young girl woke up from being knocked out they would be back at the mansion and the Professor would be able to keep her calm and explain to her what had happen. And then she would have to ask the Professor about the trinket she carried, as it held a part of Kagome inside itself.


Converting /tmp/phpJJMRsh to /dev/stdout