Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ The Blood That Ties ❯ Second Chance ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Hey everyone! So this is a very special chapter, because it is the last chapter I will ever write as a 17 year old girl! No I'm not getting a sex change! It is my 18th birthday tomorrow! Oh my goodness you say? How will you ever find the perfect gift for me? Well... You could simply... READ AND REVIEW! <3 Now, on with the chapter!
 
The Blood That Ties
 
Gabrielle had lost all track of time, and was disoriented beyond belief. How long had she been following this man now? The overcast sky gave no indication to the time, which was bittersweet. She had heard many tales of vampires disintegrating in sunlight, who knew what would have happened to her...Maybe she would already be dead. At least then she wouldn't have to wonder if she was following this man to her own demise.
 
The cloaked individual spared no words to her, not even to tell her his name. He only glanced back at her every moment or so, probably to make sure she was still following obediently behind him. Oh what would her parents say about this? How many times did they tell her to stay away from strangers, not to follow them no matter what they said...? But that was back before she had been changed...When she thought she understood most of the world.
 
All the history lessons in the world could not have prepared her for this, for the change she underwent...For the new world she was plunged into...
 
But, turning her thoughts back to her counterpart, as silent as he was, he didn't seem to be much older than her. A year or two apart at the most...So honestly, how much of a risk could he be to her? Even through the baggy robes, Gabrielle could tell that the boy was thin, almost stick-like. If Gabrielle had not been turned, she probably could take him on if things turn bleak.
 
The red haired girl mused over the thought for a moment, a gentle smile on her lips. Stuck in her own thoughts, it was no wonder she didn't even notice they had reached their destination, until Gabrielle crashed into the back of her counterpart.
 
“Do watch where you're going...” Even now, he spared no extra words, his voice still cold and rough. Exactly why was Gabrielle following him again? Oh yes, apparently now that she was a vampire things were going to be different for her...And she couldn't remember seeing any guides to vampirism in any bookstore she had visited. Snapping out of her zoned out state, Gabrielle finally made an effort to take in her surroundings, and see just where this man had taken her.
 
It was a vast building, twice the size of her own mansion, the walls facing her having a similar visual effect like an accordion, with a bell tower standing tall in the back. No wonder he was dressed in monk's clothing, this was a monastery. Though Gabrielle had never seen the building before, the bell tower was reminiscent of Notre Dame, and the stain glass windows were a dead giveaway. A tall iron wrought gate surrounded the area, which was an odd detail in Gabrielle's mind. Weren't monasteries supposed to be an open, friendly place of refuge?
 
“Francis! Get your lazy ass up and open this gate!” Gabrielle jumped at the sudden shout, shooting the brunette a wicked glare before taking a large step away from him, rubbing her right ear. He could have at least walked away from her if he was going to start yelling at the gate!
 
While Gabrielle tried to cease the ringing in her ear, she glanced just beyond the gate, where a much older man was shuffling up to the gate. The greying monk had to be in his sixties, at least...And he just allowed the younger man next to her to just shout at him? Gabrielle was always scolded and disciplined if she ever raised her voice in such a way to any elder...
 
And even though the elder said nothing about it, the slight glare in his pale blue eyes suggested that if they were not on holy grounds, the brunette just may have had hell to pay.
 
“Shouldn't you be enjoying your day off? Why have you brought this girl to us?” The elder man gazed at Gabrielle through the iron bars, almost apologetically. After spending only a few hours in silence with the boy, Gabrielle seemed to understand the gaze and sympathetically offered a similar smile to the elderly man.
 
“She's a fledgling, turned by a renegade vampire.” The words were harsh, almost said in disgust, and suddenly Gabrielle's gaze dropped to the ground. How could she forget? She was a monster now, something not mainstream accepted...If that had been the case, she would have heard of vampires outside of all the fairy tales and folklore. She had expected a shocked reaction, maybe for the elder man to start reciting the bible and call her a blasphemy, maybe for holy water to be involved...Just like they did to witches back in the day.
 
But, there was nothing. The elder man only hummed in amusement, fiddling with the keys to the gate before creaking it open enough for the two to past though.
 
“Thank-you.” Gabrielle whispered to the elderly man, both for opening the gate for them and not making a scene about her affliction. The man only smiled and bowed his head slightly to her, an action she quickly mirrored, before the brunette snapped at her to keep up with him.
 
Following the brunette inside should of sent off warning bells in her mind. But it seemed as if the area emanated a gentle, comforting vibe. A warm, tingling sensation shivered throughout her entire body, as if she was wandered out of the cold and into the warmth...Which might as well be true, the weather had been less than ideal outside, and all form of illumination was fire based within the halls of the monastery. Fireplaces, oil lamps, everything gave off a heat that comforted her pale cold skin.
The corridors were long, varying in shape and size, some being as wide as the average room, and some being extremely narrow... But there was so many of them Gabrielle decided that it would probably take weeks to memorize the maze-like layout...And with how expertly the brunette before her moved, barely paying attention to any of his surroundings, Gabrielle decided that he probably resided here.
 
“Err...Where are you taking me anyway?...” Might as well make some form of conversation with him, at least then she could decide whether or not she was going to run, though where she would run to...The jury was still out on that one, she should of left bread crumbs or something...
 
“To see the Abbot. He'll decide what to do with you.” Quick and to the point, Gabrielle got a strong impression that this guy didn't like conversation much. But still, couldn't he at least word his curt replies a bit more...Gentler? The thought of someone judging her, looking at her for what she was...Or more precisely...What she had been turned into...And deciding her fate from there. Was this really such a good idea?
 
Glancing behind her, Gabrielle frowned at the maze of corridors. There was no running now...She put herself into this mess...She would just have to deal with it as it came.
 
Finally, the long corridors halted, and Gabrielle found themselves in a large foyer...Almost like a gothic waiting room. Dark oak checker floor, stain glass walls, intricate swirls and patterns carved in the arches that rested just below the support beams above their heads. And two long benches framing resting against the walls, stopping just before a large ornate door.
 
“Sit. I'll tell the abbot of your arrival.” Again, a curt command, before the brunette disappeared beyond the door. And once again, Gabrielle was obedient, though at least she rebelled, choosing to sit on the opposite bench that he had pointed to. Gabrielle was no lap dog, but oh well; she wouldn't have to deal with him for long at least.
 
Gabrielle leaned back against the polished surface of the beach, running a hand through her crimson hair as she sighed. It was no longer important to her what happened now. It was too late to change what had already happened...And if she followed the man to her own dead there wasn't really much she could do about it now. She could run right now, sure. But she would quickly become lost in the maze of corridors that lay just beyond this room, and even if by some stroke of luck she managed to get out...What would she do with her life? Wander until she was dying of thirst, again?
 
“Whatever they do to me here...It'll be nothing compared to what has already happened.” Gabrielle muttered into the empty room, gazing up at the vaulted ceiling.
 
Suddenly, the thick wall that Gabrielle had assumed that lay between herself and the other room seemed to become thinner...Either that or the brunette who had led her here had begun shouting. As Gabrielle strained to listen, she decided that it was the latter, though all noise was just a murmur. Something had set the boy off that was for sure, as she barely made out a few less than savoury words.
 
Amused for the moment, Gabrielle slid along the bench, moving closer to the door. Just as she was about to try to tap into her enhanced hearing, the large door flung open, crashing into the wall parallel to it, and the angry brunette stepped forth.
 
“The Abbot wants to speak with you!” Was all he shouted, scowl still on his features as he huffed and stormed out of the room. Once his form ducked out into the hall, Gabrielle exhaled a heavy breath that she was not aware she was holding. Well, so much for the idea of the setting being unsettling for her, it was just the company.
 
Pausing for a moment, gazing at the entrance to see if the fuming brunette would return. Gabrielle decided it would be best not to keep the Abbot waiting, and shifted herself into a stand position. There was that lump again, resting just at the base of her throat. She was nervous, in a matter of moments she would learn of her fate...And she had no idea what she wanted the outcome to be...Gulping gently, Gabrielle gripped the edge of the door, pulling along behind her as she slipped into the Abbot's office.
 
Well, it wasn't as intimidating as she thought it to be, though the office kept with the gothic theme of the building. It was a darker room; only two oil lamps situated on the desk provided any form of light. To anyone else, this may have been scary, slipping into such a dim room without knowing what's on the other side. It may have sent some people running, but for Gabrielle, this was the most comforting thing.
 
“Come forth Child, nothing will harm you anymore.”
 
Gabrielle found herself stepping further into the room, walking around a large chair in order to see who exactly this Abbot was.
 
He was a much...Much older man. He looked to be in his early seventies, with his white hair and wispy beard...But his aura was something otherworldly, as if he had been on this earth much longer than any human she had known. For a moment, Gabrielle was intimidated, and she paused in her step, but his smile encouraged her to sit down, to at least give this situation a few minutes before she chose whether or not she liked it.
 
“What is your name Child?”
 
“G-Gabrielle...Gabrielle Harrison...”
 
Gabrielle wanted to see a bigger reaction than just a nod from the Abbot. Her family had been well known back in the city...One of the wealthiest, the best horse breeders and businessmen came from their bloodline. But...That was all a thing of the past now, she was the last of her family now...
 
“I see...This must all be so difficult for you Gabrielle...It's not easy to lose all those you love so quickly...” Gabrielle seemed to jump at those words, her gaze shooting up at him. How could he have known, she hadn't even told the bloody brunette about that! “Don't be afraid...Your aura...It reads of much loss and sadness, and darkness at that...But I'm sure I would be more accurate in my reading if you tell me your own story. I assure you, I have nothing but your best interests in mind...”
 
His words were pretty; she had to give him that. But they were words that were chosen carefully, and he could very well be lying to her. However, the way he sat, the gentle smile, it was too much like talking to an old grandfather, not an Abbot who could probably very well kill her if he saw fit. Gabrielle could not help but feel comfortable, but even with that...Could she really just tell her story...Speak of the horror she saw?
 
If she wanted help, or to at least speed up her death, she would have to find some way to convey what had happened to her. Biting her lip gently, Gabrielle fought to find a way to word everything, to put the horrific event into words that justified it. Whenever she glanced up at the Abbot, she found him only gazing at her, the disarming smile still on his face; at least he was patient...
 
“He killed them...I watched him...He killed everyone...I don't even know how he got into my home...At first my sisters thought he was just a burglar...But his eyes were blood red, and he moved faster than anyone we had even seen...He killed them so quickly.... But when he got to my parents...He took his time....He wanted to enjoy it.... He was saving me for last...And I couldn't move...And I thought he was going to kill me...But I woke up in the forest a week ago...At least I think it's been a week...I have no concept of time anymore...And...He killed them all...” She was rambling, she knew it, the Abbot knew it, but it was all she could manage. She couldn't even utter a sentence of her story without trembling, without sobbing, without the smell of that monster and their blood invading her senses, without thinking of the deer in the forest. It was too much, and she couldn't do it right now.
 
“I understand my child, it is wrong of me to think you could simply tell me everything so soon after the attack. So instead, let me tell you about this world you are now a part of. And don't worry, for now I will keep it short.” A tissue appeared before her, and as Gabrielle glanced up, she realized it was the Abbot who was offering the cloth to her. Sobs racking her body, Gabrielle could only nod, taking the tissue and dabbing her eyes.
 
“This building is the headquarters of The Order. A...police force if you will, watching over the actions of the supernatural. Supernatural's are suppose to keep a low profile, not cause too much of a disturbance for the oblivious human societies. The organizations above us decided it would be best of the world of mortals and supernaturals were kept separate. I'm sure you're familiar with the Salem witch trials?” The Abbot paused for a moment, and Gabrielle only nodded in response.
 
“With such Chaos, strict rules were in place...And as you can probably tell, what happened to you was a blatant violation of these rules. Now that you have been brought to us, we will start a full on investigation, and hopefully be able to get a hold of the renegade before he harms anyone else...” The Abbot paused again at that moment, offering a gentle smile to Gabrielle, who was now merely shaking from her slight breakdown.
 
“As for you... The Order protects victims of supernatural attacks, and offers membership for anyone who wishes to fight back or help prevent such things from happening to anyone else. A chance for retribution and redemption, as well as a place to live, people who have been in similar situations as you, people to call friends, people to call family...A new start if you will. Of course it would be your choice entirely...And I do ask that you stay here a few days to allow yourself to rest from this event, as well as learn the rules of your new existence...And then on your own terms you can choose whether or not to stay with us...How does that sound?”
 
What's a bigger word than amazing? Gabrielle felt her heart jump at the offer, and in her hysteric state, she wanted to leap across the table and hug the elderly Abbot, crying yes, yes! But, she had to calm herself, she had to think. Pretty words could put her in a world of trouble, and he was giving her the time to think about it. She might as well take it before she threw herself into the fire.
 
“It sounds...Very generous...I will think about it...But I think I will have to give the matter more thought tomorrow...Today has been too much for me...” Gabrielle found herself smiling, nearly glowing from the amount of hope she felt at the moment.
 
`People to call friends, people to call family...A new start...'
 
Since the moment she awoke in the forest, all those things had been stolen from her, and this place was offering a chance to get those things back? It was definitely an attractive option.
 
“Of course, Today must have been excruciatingly long for you. I'll have Emeris show you to your room. Emeris!” The Abbots call echoed through the wall, and Gabrielle could faintly hear it echo down the hall. There would be no doubt that whoever this Emeris guy was; he would most definitely hear the call. However, was it necessary for everyone to just shout without giving her any notice?
 
“Thank you so much...I promise I'll think on this matter...” Gabrielle smiled at the Abbot, feeling genuinely at ease, even though she was by herself, in a world she knew nothing about.
 
“That's all I ask of you Gabrielle, now, go get a good night's rest, you certainly deserve it. Ah, Emeris, please escort Miss Gabrielle to her room.” Gabrielle moved to her feet, returning to the doorframe and curtsying out of respect for the elder, before turning to face...
 
Ah, so the brunette was named Emeris. Joyous.
 
“Nice to meet you again...” Gabrielle fought to keep her tone polite, at least in front the Abbot, as the two stood in the suddenly very cramped doorframe.
 
“Hmph.” Apparently, the green eyed brunette did not bother with such formalities, choosing to be abrupt with his obvious opinion of her. The stiff posture, the gruff remarks. Gabrielle had to wonder exactly why this guy allowed her to feed from him and brought her here if it wasn't to bring her to her doom.
 
Another curtsy to the Abbot, and Gabrielle gently shut the door closed, with the Abbot no longer able to see them. Gabrielle's facade dropped, and she face the boy's permanent scowl with one of her own. Hadn't he taken off for a reason? Why bother coming back, surely there had to be someone else in this monastery capable of taking her to her room.
 
“This way.” Again, no words spared, and he was off in a huff again, slipping into the depths of the hallway, leaving Gabrielle to hurry to follow behind him, unless she wanted to become lost in the maze of identical corridors and passageways.
 
On the way to their unknown location, Gabrielle tried to keep her mind focused on her surroundings, trying to memorize the subtle difference between the corridors. This corridor had no windows, that corridor had only blue flowers in the vases; this corridor had torches instead of oil lamps. But one thing in common with all the corridors was the amount of people. Not quite crowded, but enough people littered the halls that Gabrielle began to realize that The Order held...A lot of people.
 
A lot of unhappy people at that, either that or they didn't appreciate having a fledgling in their midst. Every time Gabrielle laid eyes on a person, they glared, almost in disgust, and Gabrielle had been sure that they were meaning those glares for her. But, Gabrielle found when the people came closer, they would soon stop glaring, and offer her a smile, a hello, even shake her hand, before glancing at her partner, and offer the same apologetic gaze the elder man at the gate had.
 
Maybe she wasn't the only one receiving cold treatment from Emeris.
 
“So...What is this place anyway...?” Gabrielle found herself asking, though she doubted she would get much of an answer. To her dismay, the brunette all but ignored her, choosing to glance at a fork in the path they were currently taking. It was more than a little annoying, she had been raised to show the utmost respect for people, and this guy was just flat out ignoring her for not good reason!
 
So, either in a moment of braveness or stupidity, Gabrielle sped up her pace, moving in the way of Emeris before repeating her question again, this time, without the sugar coating.
 
“I asked you a question. Now tell me what this place is, and don't feed me pretty lies.” Goodness knows he could be the only one who wasn't trying to sell her into staying here.
 
His seemingly permanent scowl returned in full force when she demanded to know about the place, but it somehow deepened even further and he gave her a small accompanying glare to go with it when she blocked his path.

"It's a fucking military camp. We train to find and normally kill supernatural renegade beings of all kinds. Even diviners like myself have combat training." He snorted some before continuing, "You wanna learn how to fight supernaturals, this place is heaven. You want social graces, other options with your life, or a chance to move up in the world, forget it...Any other questions 'Princess'?"
 
Gabrielle repressed the urge to roll her eyes at the boy's harshness. It was painfully clear that those in the hallways had been glaring at Emeris, and certainly not her. But she was not going to be intimidated by him; she even dared to move closer to him, her glare intensifying. She was not afraid of him, she had seen a vampire tear apart her only family, and a human with a bad attitude was the least of her worries.
"Why yes I do."
Another step closer, they were nearly nose to nose. If he wanted to play gruff-asshole, she could play too.
"Are you always this unpleasant?"
 
She had to admit, he stayed pretty calm. Though with his actions he was probably used to encounters like this. He even allowed her to completely finish her opening assault on his person before replying.
 
"Oh no, normally I'm quite chipper and pleasant until they pile work onto me, or my day off is interrupted. So, my apologies Princess, having one of the few days I get outside these walls interrupted kinda puts me in a bad mood."
 
Sarcasm was so thick in his speech that it practically dripped from his mouth. It made blood boil within her veins, which was ironic considering the majority of that blood belonged to the man in front of her. But she couldn't help it; she was trying to keep strong after being left alone in the world, trying to figure out what was trustworthy and what she needed to get away from... And this man was having a hissy fit over having one day of his life interrupted.
"One; I did not ask for you to bring me here, in fact I did not even ask for your help. Two; At least you are having a bad day; tomorrow you can brush this off. I can't."

She nearly barked at him, but she had managed to keep herself calm yet firm. If she had less control over herself, she most likely would have slapped the man before her...But then she would not know where her accommodations were located. So with a final glare, she backed off of him and returned to her former position, off to the side.
 
“Yeah. You're welcome.” And with that, the journey continued.
 
The remainder of the journey to her room had been filled with silence between the two, but an inner struggle for Gabrielle. She would of stood in his face longer, giving him a real piece of her mind, forgetting about where she would rest her head for the night. But the tears had made another appearance, and she would be damned if she would let someone like him see her cry, even if she had a damn good reason to.

Unfortunately when they finally reached her room, a door amongst many others, with a silver plaque reading `038', a small sob escaped her.
 
At this, she hastily dropped her gaze to the floor, anything to keep their eyes from meeting as Emeris unlocked the door and shoved the key into her hand.
 
“I'll be back tomorrow to get you into this place's rhythm—“

She could not get into the room fast enough, not even taking in the man's words as she slammed the door shut. Her steps into the room were heavy as she felt the walls around her crumble. She crumpled into a mess of emotion on the floor, falling onto her knees as the tears finally spilled from her eyes.
 
~*~
It must of been hours before she had managed to cease her crying, and it was not just because she felt better, it was because she had run out of tears.

"Oh Mom...Dad...Sisters...I'm sorry I didn't do anything..."
 
Her hoarse voice whispered to herself, her body shaking with sobs. She didn't know what she could of done at the time to protect her family from the fiend, but she was sitting in the only place where she could set things right. Her family was gone, but she could at least seek out retribution in their honor.

"It...Couldn't be that bad here” Gabrielle glanced about the room Her room was Spartan, little more than a bed, nightstand with oil lamp, enclosed bathroom, and an empty dresser.
 
“...I would learn how to deal with that fiend...and myself...and I would have a roof over my head...That's more than any option I would have if I declined...But would I be selling my soul to them?" There could be a hundred and one dark secrets within these walls...Was she ready for that?
 
Only time could tell, and she had the night to think. Moving onto the bed, Gabrielle curled up and feel into a deep but fitful slumber.