Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vampire and Demon Bound ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Couple of hours after dawn voices are heard.
 
“It's just up this way, professor. The amount of detail that went into carving the statue is just unbelievable. It's as if they took a real man, turned him to stone, added horns and wings, viola, instant lifelike demon statue. And the posture it's like it is guarding whatever is in the casket below him. Whoever put him there did not want anything to get in or out of that casket. Makes me wonder if the model for the statue is whoever is occupying the casket. As for the casket itself, another piece of art, it looks as if it was carved from a single block of granite. The grain of the stone aligns so perfectly between the base and lid, that if it hadn't rung hollow when I knocked on it, I'd swear it was one solid piece of stone.” The voice drones on and on about the statue and casket, as it gets louder the closer it approaches the clearing. “Odd thing though, I couldn't find any local legends about the place. True, I only had yesterday afternoon to look and the closest local is a good three hour hike away, but still you would think there would be something from before people were to lazy to get up and take a walk. Take your two assistants here, a perfectly normal, well maybe not normal,” he continues eyeing the way they are dressed, “healthy young couple, and look at them huffing and puffing away as if they had just run a marathon instead of walking a couple of hours.”
 
“Director,” the professor interrupts, “there is no statue,” as they step into the clearing.
 
The talkative man spins around and rushes towards the tomb now going on about his demon, vandals, blasphemy, terrorist and anything else he can think of to express his outrage at the statue being gone.
 
The two assistants exchange a look before spreading out and searching the clearing, while slowly allowing their breathing to return to normal.
 
The two meet at the center of the clearing standing over the ashes that remain of the vampire.
 
“You two,” the director points at them, “you are to remain here and guard the area until the helicopter gets here.”
 
“Helicopter, sir?”
 
“Yes,” he says smugly, pulling out his cell phone, “by this time tomorrow this tomb will be safely on campus property.”
 
The two exchange a startled look, before stepping forward, “Sir you can't do that,” the one on the left starts.
 
He looks at them coldly, “I can and I did.”
 
They look to the professor who shrugs at them helplessly.
 
“You two, what were your names again?” the director calls out to them
 
“I'm Chris and his Dane, sir”
 
“Kris, don't worry about a thing your husband here will be in charge of things until we get back with the helicopter and crew. Just make sure nothing else happens here,” and with that the director drags the professor into the forest.
 
“Gods that hurts,” says Chris as her body transforms from female to male. “Why does Grandmere always complicate things like this and why am I always the woman?”
 
“You know why, Chris,” Dane replies his voice raspy from disuse.
 
“Yeah, I know, she thinks it will build character doing these missions with these handicaps, but she may have gone to far this time. Without your voice your spells usage is limited and in that female form my combat performance is halved. This time we are not dealing with humans or minor Otherworldlys. We're dealing with at least one demon and some vampires. Brother, put up a storm fierce enough to prevent the copters from coming in, then lets see what we can do to take a peek at what's happened here in the last 72 hours.”
 
“Ok, we may as well do our viewing in the shelter of the tomb, while the storm rages out here,” rasps Dane.
 
For the next three hours the brothers sit, perfectly still, as the last 72 hours flash before their minds eye. They slowly open their eyes and look at each other. “Well this certainly complicates things,” remarks Chris.
 
Dane places his hand on the casket at the spot he imagines the stake is that pierces JJ's heart. He looks to Chris, “Why?”
 
Chris looks back at him, knowing the question that is running though his mind, since it is the same one that is running though his own mind. He shrugs, “Fate, Destiny, Grandmere's spells, I don't know, but it is the way it is. We have vampires for mates. But hey, at least they are good -looking. I do have to agree with the Other, JJ is cute,” the last said with a sly look to his brother.
 
“Hey, he's mine,” Dane grumbles.
 
“Yep, he's all yours while his brother is all mine,” grinning with a sparkle in his eyes, Chris replies.
 
“Now we need to contact Grandmere and update her on the situation and then come up with a plan to keep our guys alive, specially if Jamie can't come up with something for breakfast.”
 
Moments later Chris, back in female form, speaks with his/her Grandmere though a scrying mirror. “We believe we have found some news of cousin Alncor, at least we believe we may have found his demon half brother, Zal. But there are a few complications. It seems the demoness who cursed Zal has Alncor in her grasp, Zal has been mastered, turns out his master is a distant descendant of his though a son he didn't know about with the demoness who cursed him. They are now going though what looks like an ancient bonding ritual. Oh and our mates have shown up on the scene and they are vampires. In fact Zal's master, who did I forget to mention is also possessed by Zal's son, is holding Dane's mate hostage in the casket with him right now. My mate was told to bring non-human breakfast if he doesn't want his brother to end up being breakfast. So do we have anyone under a death sentence that we can feed to Zal's master? Oh and can we get these spells lifted from us? They prevent us from functioning at 100%.”
 
Eyes such a light gray, you think they were irisless, stare out at them from the mirror.
 
“Finally you are showing some progress. I was beginning to think I had chosen the wrong pair for this task. Congratulations on finding your mates on finding your mates, now let them die so they can be reborn as something more suitable.”
 
“Grandmere,” Chris cries out in shock, while Dane shakes his head violently. “We can't do that. It is our duty to protect our mates not slaughter them.”
 
She looks closely at them, “You have been in close contact with them already.” She starts muttering under her breath, with the last word uttered a golden light settles over the boys and soaks into their skin. The magic travels though their bodies, souls and minds, connecting to the mating bond and slipping down it to the vampires it connects with. Gifting them with a vision of two blurred boys kneeling before an older woman, they can see the three are arguing but are unable to make out what is being said. The woman suddenly snaps her fingers and the boys are on the ground withering in agony, as chains appear on their wrists, ankles, and neck and a gag forms over their mouths.
 
Suddenly the vision pans around the room and Jamie and JJ are now looking at themselves. Pinned to the wall with silver stakes at the wrists and ankles. The pain of every injury and outrage done to their bodies, from their nails having been pulled out to being disemboweled and their guts stretched across the room, is suddenly felt in their physical bodies. They watch as the wounds heal until their bodies are whole again only to see a pair of small, delicate hands and arms appear and show them how each wound was first inflicted on their bodies. With each slice, poke and prod they feel the pain in their comatose physical bodies.
 
A strangled scream of is heard from with in the casket.
 
Dane jumps up and rushes over to the casket desperate to help JJ.
 
Grandmere, what have you done?” Chris yells out.
 
“You have three months for one of two things to happen. One, they die or two, you each claim them as mates. Otherwise they will be incorporated into the vision for all time. You will be unable to speak of the curse or of the spells placed upon you,” Grandmere states with a hard look in her eyes.
 
“Grandmere,” Chris exclaims, “how can I claim him in this body? How can Dane without his voice?”
 
“Hmm, there is that. Ok one more modification to your spells. If they confess true love to you then the spells will be lifted while in their presence as well as when you two are together. Now I have some assignations to order. Be off with you two and find Alncor,” and with that Chris is left staring at his reflection.
 
Chris walks over to Dane and slides down to sit next to him, leaning against the casket. Pulling Dane to him, he hugs him. “I can't decide which is worse listening to their cries and being unable to help or not even knowing where they are and knowing they are going though this,” Chris says with a lump in his throat.
 
Dane wraps his arms around his brother and they sit there listening to JJ's screams turn to whimpers and then silence. “Any non-human that comes after them we will give to the Other to feast on and we will handle any humans,” whispers Dane.
 
“Aye that we will. I'll kill them myself before letting another hurt them or let them be locked into these nightmares,” replies Chris as they drift off into exhausted slumber.
 
The storm finally clears just as the sun sinks into the western sky.
 
Chris is awakened by the pain of his transformation. He leans over and nudges Dane awake. “Come, they are waking up. The others will be here soon. We don't want to be found here like this.” Dane nods and gets up and they head out of the clearing and up a couple of trees where they could see the clearing.
 
JJ's eyes snap open, on a choked cry, to total darkness. He struggles to move, needing to confirm what he just seen was only a dream, a terrifying, realistic, horrible dream, but a dream none the less. When he hears a growl coming from beneath him and he remembers where he is.
 
A few minutes later Jamie and Jon step into the clearing. Chris's heart skips a beat at how pale and exhausted he looks.
 
“Tell me what's wrong?” Jon questions Jamie.
 
“It was just a dream, a big, ole, nasty dream but just a dream,” Jamie replies as he leans against a tree.
 
“That's just it, Jamie. You're a vampire, vampires don't dream, nice pleasant dreams or big nasty dreams. I know it was big and nasty. Your screaming was loud enough to wake the dead. In fact it did wake the dead, me. But I couldn't wake you for anything it was almost as if you where spellbound,” Jon states. “On top of which we weren't able to replacement food for your brother. What are you going to do? He's fast, to fast for us but he seems to be easily distracted. I could try distracting him while you grab JJ and run.”
 
Jamie shakes his head, no. “He may be easily distracted but he doesn't stay that way. Plus as you said he is fast, I doubt we could get far. Besides that, that plan means leaving you here as a sacrifice. I don't plan on doing that.”
 
“Then what are you going to do? It's to bad we couldn't find another one of those spies. They would have been perfect fodder,” Jon remarks.
 
“They would have been but they are not around and I'm not going to pick up the first innocent non-human bystander just to satisfy the hunger of that creature. He's just going to have to be satisfied with me,” replies Jamie.
 
An amused chuckle comes out of the woods behind them. They spin around, Jamie falling to a knee as a wave of dizziness washes over him., as the figure of the talkative director steps out of the trees with a crossbow cocked, loaded and pointed straight at Jamie.
 
Dane grabs Chris's arm to keep him from jumping in, until they find out what is going on.