Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ A Mother's Wisdom ❯ A Mother's Wisdom ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer-I will never own any characters in this story. Everyone belongs to his or her respective owners and/or producers.

A Mother's Wisdom
Isabel Night

Mother, do you remember that talk we had the day before my before my coming-of-age ceremony? Do you remember the leisurely walk we taken through our village, outside the grand city of Kyoto, where we conversed about the future responsibilities that I had to undertake if I was to become a man? Do you remember when the conversation suddenly changed from my new, "adult" responsibilities, to the personal choices every person must make in his or her life?

“One day,” you told me as we walked along the main road that ran past our house, “the Kami and the Buddha will place before you two different paths. One path will lead you to enlightenment, and the other path that will lead you to Hell. You are free to choose either path, but you must remember that each path requires certain actions, and that you must always accept the consequences of those actions."

Those words were still running through my head on the day we brought your body to the local Buddhist Temple for burial, but it wasn’t until now, some four hundred years after your death, that I have finally come to realize the truth that those words once held. The Kami had laid before me two paths, and when all was said and done, I had chosen the path that would lead me to damnation. If you were alive today, would you be proud of the man that you had brought into this world? Would you still consider me your son, even though I have replaced you with a surrogate family? If you knew about all the people I had senselessly massacred over the past four centuries, would you still encourage me follow my dreams of becoming a warrior-scholar?

I am not trying to lessen all the terrible things I have done; but maybe, just maybe, I can abandon the path of damnation, begin walking the path that will lead me to enlightenment, and redeem Dais, Cale, and Sekhmet, my surrogate family, from Talpa's hatred and evil. These three tasks will not be easy, but I did not come all this way just to give up when things became too difficult. I am here, in the Mortal Realm, because I have to make things right. It will not be an easy task; I know that things will become more complicated when my friends find out that I am still alive, but this is something that I must do...

Mother, the world may never know of the wisdom that you gave me, but I'm glad we had that conversation. Moreover, as I read the inscription on your headstone, I think of the wonderful woman who made me what I am today...

Kimiko Koma
April 6, 1522-May 4, 1568
Loving Mother and Wife

THE END