Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ A Proposal Of Marriage ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Proposal Of Marriage

Chapter 1

If anyone where to believe that Mia Konesdale would have a peaceful sleep in the night, they were wrong. As Mia inspected her reflection in the mirror, she was surprised she didn't have those dark circles that appeared under her eyes when she didn't get enough sleep. She did feel quite tired so she vowed that the first thing to reach her lips would be a cup of freshly made tea. "With lots of sugar," She murmured to herself as her abigail helped her into a new morning gown.

"What was that Lady Mia?" Her abigail asked, intent on making her mistress look her best for that morning.

"Nothing," Mia responded as she surveyed an escaped strand of hair. Her abigail, Marie had curled her mistress' hair and then pined it up most casually but also rather elegantly. The runaway strange of hair had curled delicately around Mia's porcelain neck, which irritated her but she left it as it was anyways. As Marie fumbled with the back of her dress, Mia's thoughts flitted back to the subject that had been bothering her the night before. What had possessed her to say what she did to Lord Wensworth?! Why, she could've been mistaken for one of those doxies that could be found in dark corners at the most convenient times for lusty young men, with the way she carried herself in front of him. In addition to her atrocious behavior, as Mia berated herself, she had no idea who or what kind of man Lord Sage Date, the Earl of Wensworth was. She knew irrelevant facts; facts that society itself knew…but she knew nothing of the man itself. Lord Wensworth, like many man of this time, was a Corinthian, a libertine rake - which to Mia's amusement, made him all the more exciting -, a member of the Four-In-Hand Club, a gambler, and he fought in the Napoleonic Wars but had to sell his commission so that he could return to England and receive his title. Granted, that should've sufficed for any lady but for Mia, it wasn't enough. He could very well just kill her on the spot with no one the wiser. He does have very beautiful eyes. Mia allowed herself such an inane thought as her abigail put the last touches on the dress.

~*~*~*~*~

"Lord Wensworth and Master Harrington." Her butler announced in the drawing room as two distinguished males entered the room.

Mia nodded as she played the last note on the pianoforte. Standing up, she masked her surprise with a graceful curtsy. Turning her eyes to the pair in the room, she could feel a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. Right next to Lord Wensworth was a shy, and rather thin, youth of 8 years old. He could be mistaken for a younger version of Lord Sage! "Good morning," She greeted, a warm smile on her face for the boy. "How do you do?" She bent down.

The younger version of Lord Sage blushed and bowed, albeit a bit clumsily done, was an endearing gesture for Mia. "M-my n-name is James Harrington," He smiled shyly.

Mia grinned, "Hello Master Harrington, my name is Mia Konesdale, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance,"

"The pleasure is ours, I assure you," A deep voice reverberated from James' side.

Mia got up and dusted herself off. Taking her gloved hand, Sage pressed a soft kiss upon it. Mia's mouth twitched as she reached for the bell and rang it. Within seconds, a maid arrived, a tray containing sweets and tea in her arms. "Thank you,"

The maid bowed and left as quickly as she had arrived.

As Mia passed out the glasses, her eyes kept on wandering over to the youth. Mayhaps Master Harrington is Lord Date's illegitimate child. They do look awfully similar.

"Tea, Lord Wensworth?" She asked as she sat down, gesturing for the two to sit down. James ran and sat by her legs to Mia's and Sage's surprise. Mia found herself falling in love with the boy, even if he was Lord Wensworth's illegitimate child.

Sage sat down and nodded his head. "Thank you,"

Mia poured herself a cup of tea afterwards and offered a sweet pastry to James. Moments of silence had passed before Mia cleared her throat, setting her teacup on the table. "James, why don't you find Mrs. Byberry, our cook, and see if she can whip up something more solid for you?"

James nodded and shyly grinned, dusting his pants off as he got up. Mia smiled back and rang a bell.

"Claire, could you take Master Harrington to the kitchen and ask Mrs. Byberry to cook up something special for him?"

Claire nodded before taking the small child's hand into hers, leading him out of the drawing room. Once the doors were closed behind them, Mia stood up the same time Sage stood up; both intent on business.

"He's my nephew," Sage stated, knowing exactly what she had been thinking.

"James is an adorable boy," Mia replied, without a single hesitation.

"Yes he is,"

"I haven't changed my mind if that is what you are wondering though…" Mia said as blue-green eyes met violet.

"I sense you want to say something else," Sage replied, his hands tucked behind his back.

"I would like to apologize for my atrocious behavior last night," She responded, bowing her head apologetically.

Sage lifted a hand and waved it in the air, signaling all was right. "No harm done. You could have just asked me at the ball though,"

"I could have but I wanted to be discreet. Have you thought about my proposal?"

"I have, lords, it was all I could think about last night. I find it utterly amusing that I was proposed to by a woman," Sage flashed a pearly grin.

"You'll find that I can see no difference regarding our sexes, but if it makes you feel better, perhaps I can withdraw my proposal," She lifted a cup of tea to her lips and sipped.

Sage chuckled as he reached into his pocket. "Good because then I'll have a chance to do this," He got on one knee and held out the box.

Mia's eyes widened.

"Will you do me the honors of being my wife?" He opened the box and held it out to her.

Her lips formed a perfect 'o' as she gazed at the ring. "Yes?"

Sage sighed dramatically. "I wanted an answer, not a question,"

"Yes." Mia drew in a deep breath as she stared at the ring. "That's beautiful…"

"I know it's quite simple but it was one of the few pieces that was left to me. My dear mother wore it and my grandmother before it," He took a hold of her left and slowly began pulling the glove, finger by finger. All the while, looking, half-lid, at her.

Mia could feel the heat rising from her breast. No doubt, her face was probably turning bright red but she had a good reason. With the way he was looking at her, she could very well just make love to him right there on the floor. Berating herself, she held back the urge to smack herself with her other hand. Bad Mia, bad! Bad! Lord, how long did it take a man from taking off a glove? Fie! You don't ever want him to let go of your hand! "Gah,"

Setting the glove down, Sage looked, his features etched in worry but also in amusement. "Something amiss Lady Mia?"

Turning into stone, it took Mia a few moments to shake her head no.

Slipping the ring into her finger, Sage knew exactly what effect he had on the ton's Ice Queen.

Mayhaps the Ice Queen wasn't so cold after all.

~*~*~*~

"I finished writing the letter to my solicitors about our betrothal, Lord Wensworth," Mia said as she returned to the room, closing the door behind her.

Sage, who had been amusing himself by swinging his pocket watch around and around, turned towards her. "Sage,"

"Excuse me?"

"Call me Sage, Mia, we are betrothed aren't we?" He closed the distance between them, his violet eyes focused on her blue-green eyes.

Mia lowered hers and stepped aside, taking a step towards the window. "I'm simply not comfortable using your Christian name, and I have yet to give you permission to use mine,"

Sage followed her and rested his hands around her dainty waist. Lowering his head down to her ear, he spoke softly, "Then I suppose a kiss would be out of the question,"

By now, Mia's face was bright red. She stepped away quickly and backed into her pianoforte. "Of course it would," Her flashing eyes stared into his.

Sage grinned as he stepped slowly towards him like a predator; she was the prey. His arms landed on either side of her, trapping her against the pianoforte. "Don't you think people would find it strange that we would still be addressing each other by our titles when we are suppose to be betrothed? And what better to seal our betrothal with but a kiss,"

Mia put her small hands on Sage's broad shoulders, giving a push. However, no matter how strong she was, she couldn't budge the man. "Lord Wensworth, please stop,"

"Stop what?" With that, his arms lifted up, wrapped around her waist, pulling her small frame against his large one.

Mia, mesmerized by his violet eyes, felt her heart was beating so fast that she feared it would explode. He's going to kiss me…

"Uncle Sage! Uncle Sage! Look what I got!" A voice chirped as James came plowing through the door, a cookie in each hand.

Mia and Sage broke away as fast as they could, one turning to face the window and the other became absorbed with a piece of music on top of the pianoforte.

As soon as her face stopped burning, Mia turned towards the small boy and slowly strolled over to him, a tense yet relieved smile on her face. "James, why don't I have Mrs. Byberry wrap up a whole bag of those cookies up for you so that you can take them home to enjoy, hmm?"

James nodded happily, all the while stuffing his mouth with the two cookies he had been given previously, had not noticed his uncle standing at the window, his posture rigid, eyes hard, staring out the window at nothing.

~*~*~*~

No matter how small or brief the whole situation was, when the engagement notice appeared in The London Times, it was all everyone talked about. Lady Mia Konesdale, now future Countess of Wensworth, had spurned beaus throughout her whole season and not one gossiping bee knew about her engagement or that she even favored Lord Sage until the announcement. Invitations poured in relentlessly at both Mia's and Sage's house, uninvited morning guests who grilled Mia and Sage persistently as if it were the Spanish Inquisition, and letters wondering if they could throw them both a party went all unnoticed by Sage and Mia. Both had been busy planning the small wedding ceremony they were to have, matters of business and organizing their households so that they'd be ready to move to Wensworth Castle once the wedding was over.

Sitting in her room, Mia pondered over the whole situation. It's all I've been doing these past few days, thinking about my situation with Lord Wensworth. Should I really start calling him Sage? Fie, of course I should, I am soon to be married to him. As soon as I had married him, I shall be divorcing him. No matter, I shall have what is rightfully mine. "At least my horrid uncle has not come yet," She stood up as maids scurried to right her beautiful silk wedding dress by brushing out any small wrinkles and such alike. A veil was placed over her face, atop the mass of russet curls that her head was sporting.

"You look beautiful Miss, that you do," Mrs. Byberry sniffled as she took out a handkerchief and wiped her moist eyes.

"Thank you," Came Mia's reply, her cheeks tinted with pink.

"Ready?"

"I am,"

~*~*~*~

The wedding, ended as fast as it begun. Sage quickly led Mia to the carriage where they would quickly leave to go to Wensworth Castle. It was believed by all, that that would be their honeymoon and both wouldn't have liked it any other way.

As soon as they were out of sight, Sage grabbed a hold of his cravat and yanked for all it was worth.

It was worth a lot.

"Blast," Sage muttered softly as he tried to untie the knot he'd made. The stupid material just wouldn't give way.

Mia arched an eyebrow and sighed. Leaning across the carriage, she batted his hands away gently and untied the cravat for him. Once she was done, she sat back and handed the piece of linen back to Sage.

Sage murmured his thanks and chucked the linen aside, going to work on loosening his highly starched shirt. Unbuttoning his cuffs first, he then moved to unbuttoning his shirt.

Mia watched this all unabashed, wishing that her dress were easier to get out of as it was easy for men to get out of their clothing. She hadn't realized how lewd her thoughts sounded had she said it out loud. "Are you going to change right here in this carriage?" She chirped as Sage kept on unbuttoning.

"And if I was? We are betrothed. There's no reason for you to be shy and see me naked,"

"Oh!" Mia's face burned bright pink. "You are unreal," Crossing her arms across her chest, she looked out the window, until her face wasn't so hot anymore.

Sage chuckled.

~*~*~*~

During the trip, Mia had found herself dozing off. The dress was getting more unbearable by the moment and she only hoped to pass the time until they stopped at an inn so that she'd be able to change. Sleeping seemed like the only way to pass the time and the fastest, it was what she did.

"Wake up Sleeping Beauty," Murmured a soft voice in her ear.

Mia groaned and opened her eyes. As soon as she found her surroundings, she realized that she had been laying her head on her new husband's shoulder. Wasn't he sleeping across from me?

As if reading her mind [he seemed to be able to do that very well], Sage spoke up, "When I realized you were lurching most ungracefully to the right, I decided that lending my shoulder would be the best option. You wouldn't fall to the ground and you wouldn't have gotten that awful crick in your neck,"

Mia nodded. "Thank you," She sat up and stretched, yawning, her veil having been tossed aside ages ago. "Why have we stopped?"

Sage chuckled. "I don't know about you but I'm starving. I also know that you've been waiting for a chance to change out of that dress so we've stopped at an inn. The horses need to rest too,"

Mia couldn't keep a shout of 'yay' down as she scrambled from the carriage, her descent catching the eye of some people who were unloading from their carriages or reloading to get out with their travel. Blushing, she waited until Sage descended which was very soon after her. "Lord Wensworth, how long will it be?"

"Sage. And it will be however long it takes us and our servants to eat to our bellies' fullest because that is what I intend to do," Sage offered his arm to Mia.

Mia curved her small hand in his arm. Her stomach growled at the mention of food.

Sage chuckled. "I suspect you'll want to do the same,"

~*~*~*~

Dressed more comfortably in a scarlet velvet traveling dress, Mia sighed happily. She was full, she was comfortable, and she'd even been able to buy a book off of someone to read on the journey to Wensworth Castle. Sage even bought some snacks to bring along the way.

Putting his large hands around her small waist, Sage lifted Mia into the carriage and quickly hurried in himself. Having found the other side of the carriage filled with food, a bag of clothes, and other such things, he found himself sitting next to Mia. Looking over at her glowing face, he wondered how someone could get so much joy over having a book to read.

Mia paid scant attention and was only startled from her reading when Sage's head rested on her shoulder, as he slept away. She smiled gently and on impulse, pressed a kiss to his head, then returned to reading her book.

Her gesture did not go unnoticed by the recipient.

~*~*~*~

Somehow, during the journey, Mia, had fallen asleep when Sage woke up. It was dark so she could no longer read her book.

Sage crossed his arms as stared down at the sleeping head on his shoulder. What had she meant when she kissed his head? Whatever she meant, Sage meant to find out. Reaching slowly, he slowly pried the book from her hands and read the title, then the author. "What the deuce?! Mary Wollenscraft?!" He swore gently. Anger built up in him as he flung the book out the carriage window and brought a possessive arm around his sleeping wife. What the hell was she reading that sort of book? Mary Wollenscraft was known for her liason with several men while being married. Even if she were known for her famous feminist ideals, he'd know many of his friend's wives who'd had several liaisons with other men, after reading her book. Damn the one-year arrangement. He'd lock her up in a high tower if he had to.

~*~*~*~

Mia only noticed that her head was in a more comfortable position and that something was around her shoulders and ended on her waist. Surrounded by the smell of musk and jasmine, she murmured happily as little dreams invaded her mind.

Sage stared coldly ahead, his hand absent-mindedly playing with a ruffle on Mia's skirt. "Mary Wollenscraft…blast," Catching sight of his impressive home, Wensworth Castle, he nudged his wife awake.

Mia groaned as she sat up, Sage's arm still around her. Carriage travels always had her disorientated. Looking around where Sage's arm rested on her slender waist, she narrowed her eyebrows and stiffened.

Sage didn't even bother to remove his arm, but instead, held her even tighter.

"You're hurting me," Mia objected softly as she laid her hand over Sage's, trying to gently pry it from her waist.

Sage knew he wasn't, but let go anyways. "We're here," He spoke coldly, as he quickly jumped out of the carriage.

Mia frowned at the strangeness as Sage helped her out of the carriage.

Sage stood closely behind her, his arms around her waist as they both surveyed the castle.

All previous thoughts flew her mind as Mia's rosy lips formed a perfect 'o' while she stared up at the impressive structure before her. Though a bit forbidding, rose vines had grown in the cracks of the castle structure and were blooming. She could see the flowers somewhat with the help of the moonlight. The grass seemed a bit long and the hedges also seemed they needed a bit trimming, but other than that, Mia felt her heart lurch at the beautiful castle, "Oh my…" This is beautiful.

"Welcome to Wensworth Castle, Lady Mia Date," Sage whispered in her ear.

Mia shivered at the sound.

He sounded almost forbidding and absolutely cold.