Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Battle of the Elements ❯ Chapter 11

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Okay, once again I submit the standard disclaimer. But Anglarana and the villains are mine, all mine!! You can't have them! Mwhahahaha! ;p

Battle of the Elements
By Lady Eclipse

Chapter Eleven

Nine men dressed in subarmor, two women and a tiger hiked swiftly through a thick jungle. A few paces ahead of them, a woman and a man walked with smooth, easy strides. As they walked, the trees and foliage opened before them and closed once the last member of the group has passed. The woman and man in the front murmured softly to one another in what seemed to be an argument of some kind.
After a few more hours of enduring the sweltering heat of the jungle and the relatively fast pace of the leaders, Anglarana finally called a halt. The place they stopped at didn't look any different from the rest of the scenery they had been traveling through for most of the day. Everyone immediately sat down in the nearest place they could find, enjoying the brief rest. Jyserriec stood off to the side indifferently staring around him not showing any signs of fatigue. The Ronins had greatly protested his joining of their band, but with Kayura and Mia's reassurance, they caved in and allowed it (although they weren't happy with it) with the demand that Anglarana monitor him at all times.
"We are now essentially in the area in which the Tsorin are buried. But the energy is so strong that I cannot identify exactly where. From here on we must split up into groups and search the area. The spell was preformed in the middle of a city, so perhaps its ruins still remain. Even if the city is no longer there, your armors should react to the energy expelled by my people."
Everyone wearily nodded and stood. They all broke up into four groups and dispersed into different directions. Anglarana, Jyserriec, and Sage headed northeast; Kento, Cye, and Rowen went north; Cale, Sekhmet, Dais, and Kayura proceeded to the northwest; and Mia, Ryo, Whiteblaze, and Anubis left for the west.
Ryo ended up walking in front to fight a path through the random plants. Mia followed placidly and Anubis acted as rear guard. The search was painfully random; all they could do was wander around in the general direction of 'west'. Ryo was getting a little more than frustrated after about an hour of hacking through the opposing jungle and the millions of blood sucking insects swarming around him didn't help either. As Ryo forged ahead, his swearing got louder the longer they went, Mia stopped. Anubis stopped as well and cocked his head at her questioningly.
"Oh, I just need a rest. Besides, I think Ryo needs a break," she said with a wry smile. She placed a hand on her chest, but decided against telling anyone that the jewel was the culprit for her exhaustion. Anubis chuckled softly and started forward to inform Ryo, who was too caught up in his aggravation to notice their stop. However, he only took a few steps when Mia cried out in pain. Anubis turned in time to see her collapse with beams of bright pink light shining through her shirt. Anubis ran over to her and lifted her into his arms.
"Mia?" Then the light intensified and thrust all of its light and energy into the ground surrounding them. The earth underneath them broke up and the pair helplessly dropped into the newly formed hole. Anubis and Mia fell for what seemed like forever, then there was blackness.

*****

With a groan, Anubis opened his eyes. It was pitch dark all around him and the stale air had the distinct scent of moist earth. He quickly pulled himself into a sitting position and blindly began feeling around for Mia.
"Mia?" he called softly and prayed that she was still there. He was rewarded with silence; but a soft, pulsing, pink light began to glow to his right. He crawled over to it and the light revealed an unconscious Mia. He lay a gentle hand on her cheek, then checked her pulse. After assuring himself that her heart was still beating and there were no major wounds, he picked her up and looked around the cavern in which they had fallen into.
The light from the Jewel of Life was enough to illuminate a wide area around them. They were essentially in a giant hole with a large variety of roots hugging the sides of the cavern. The walls rose a good couple of hundred feet into the air, but the gap that had allowed them to fall in there had closed up. Anubis briefly flirted with the idea of climbing the roots to the surface, but Mia looked to be in no shape for such activity. He was really worried about her; such a fall would have normally killed a person. His armor had protected him, but Mia had no such safeguard.
He sighed and stared into her face, fervently hoping that she would soon wake up or show any signs of life. She was so bonelessly silent, he couldn't even hear her breathing in the echoing cavern. As he surveyed the walls, he noticed a tunnel in the wall to his immediate left. With no other viable escape routes available, Anubis decided to follow the tunnel for better or for worse.
The tunnel extended for over a mile and a half before it opened up into an enormous area in which he could not see any of the walls or the ceiling. Mia groaned and began to shift in his arms. With a relieved sound Anubis looked expectantly into her face. She opened her soft, blue-green eyes and for a moment panic crossed her features as she tried to figure out where she was.
"It's all right, you're with me," he said with a reassuring smile. Mia's eyes slowly focused on him, then she returned his smile with a relieved smile of her own. She winced as she turned her head to look about her. She tentatively placed a hand on the back of her head and took a sharp intake of air as her fingers made contact with a sizable lump. Anubis frowned then kneeled so he could use his hands to examine the injury.
"No, it's okay," Mia said in a faint voice, but Anubis ignored her protests and gently reached around her to part her hair. He frowned again as he saw it. It looked as though she had received a concussion.
"How do you feel?" he asked while carefully touching the bump to determine exactly how bad it was. Mia gritted her teeth against the pain and managed to answer without a quiver in her voice.
"It hurts a little, but I think I'm fine." Anubis stared into her eyes wondering if she was sincere about the pain level, but he decided to let her do as she wished noticing a stubborn glint in her eye. After all, he would be there to watch her in case the lump proved to be more trouble than she thought it would. "Where are we?" she asked as she wavered to her feet.
"I'm not sure." Anubis replied. Mia slowly unbuttoned her blouse until the Jewel was exposed, then closed her eyes in concentration. The Jewel flared to life brightly, bringing light to the entire cavern around them. Anubis smiled faintly. "I see you are learning to master the Jewel of Life." Mia nodded grimly.

"It's more like the Jewel is teaching me."
"What do you mean?"
"It's weird; it's like something in the back of my mind whispers that I can do something when a certain task is needed. Like when Anglarana was fighting, I just knew that I could trap Crynis in a bubble of energy, and I just knew that I could give her energy. It sometimes seems as though the Jewel has a life of its own."
"Yes, there are many legends about the Jewel of Life. Some say that when so much power exists in one place, that it can take on a personality of its own with its own thoughts and purposes." Mia bit her lip worriedly.

"Do you think it's dangerous for me to have it?" Anubis stared at her thoughtfully for a moment.

"Has it ever made you do anything?"
"No, it just tells me what can be done."
"What do you have to do to initiate action from the jewel?"
"I don't know; want it, I guess. When I want it to happen, it happens, and I seem to be able to maintain control of starting and stopping it."
"I think that the jewel is harmless to you; it needs you to initiate its power and to direct it as well. The fact that you're a part of it gives you the control that no one else has ever really had. It may be more of a blessing than you think." Mia sighed ruefully but nodded. Anubis, now that Mia seemed to be alright, turned his attention to the enormous cave that they were now in. It was filled with the ruins of massive buildings and statues. It looked as though the room had housed an entire city. The ruins were coated with ash and a black film that suggested that the city had met its end due to fire. As he surveyed the area, he gasped as the memories of his dream snapped in front of his mind's eye.
"What is it?" Mia asked, seeing the shock on his face.
"It's the city! I've seen this place before!" His vision blurred, and it felt like the ground beneath him lurched. When his sight finally cleared, the city had changed. The buildings where whole again, but were on fire. Violent winds raked against the landscape makings; the trees bend fully to the ground (the landscape had changed to above ground); and helpless people and animals were blown about like so many leaves.
Suddenly Anubis' perspective changed and he found himself on a roof top a few yards from Crynis who was the cause of such senseless destruction. Near him was a large, silver cage holding five people wearing the robes of monks. A man with white hair stood in the front clasping two of the bars, but his face seemed vague, as though his thoughts had strayed. When his eyes regained focus, he turned them to the snarling beast and smiled triumphantly. Crynis's eyes widened with he saw the smile and, perhaps it was just the heat rising from the inferno before him, he shuddered.
A bright light burst across the city setting the earth and sky to rest. The flames flickered out in awe to the forthcoming power. Crynis growled in rage and turned to the sound of hoof beats delicately coming down the central road. Shill equine calls of battle resounded across the tattered city; but the white haired man in the cage only continued his smile of triumph. The number had greatly increased since his last vision; now there were too many to be counted. The tide of unicorns paused before the building which held Crynis, one of the shining creatures turned her head and communed with the man in white. He reached out his hand and whispered a few words to the wind. A brightly glowing staff appeared in his hand. He rapped it against the cage and the bars disappeared. The captives quickly scrambled away from their prison, but only to be met by the towering form of the fanged menace. He swiped at the monks with his lethal talons, now red from blood. The leading unicorn screamed her challenge and sent a holy beam of light to strike the foul beast. Crynis leapt to the ground before her and snatched at her tender throat. She swiped her horn at his talons catching them in a dead lock. The tide of unicorns pooled around the combating duo with a single cry on their lips.
"One choice, one choice..." The air crackled around them and the earth shook with the vengeance of ages. The monks assembled around the Ancient One and took hold of his staff. They chanted in a strange language and the staff began to ring violently. A fierce yellow beam of light shot from the staff into the center of the melee. Unheeding of the numerous wounds Crynis inflicted, the unicorns mobbed around him. As their horns flared to life with silver-green light, they too began to chant in a language that no mortal could ever learn. Their light mixed with the light of the staff creating such an intensity that the light became all consuming and nothing else was visible. When the light faded and disappeared, Crynis and three fourths of the unicorns (all those closest to him) were gone. The remaining unicorns, along with the monks, lay crumpled on the ground. The ancient city was lost in flames as the voices of those who remained were raised to the starry sky in mourning and relief.

*****

"Anubis?" Mia called again, this time shaking his shoulders. His eyes were distant and unfocused, but his face held and expression of horror and amazement. He had stood this way for several minutes; his frame slightly leaning forward as if he were straining to see something. "Anubis!" She shook harder. Anubis then blinked a couple of times and looked about himself in a disoriented manner. "Anubis, are you okay?" Mia's eyes were filled with worry. Anubis smiled at her as he placed his hands over hers.
"I am fine. I think we have inadvertently found Anglarana's city." Mia looked about herself curiously.

"Are you sure?" Anubis nodded. "What happened to you just then?"
"I had a vision. I saw the past of this city. I saw the great battle between the Tsorin and Crynis." Mia smiled wryly.

"Great, we found the city. But now we're lost." Anubis smiled faintly,

"I think we'll be able to call the others' attention." His eyes rested on the Jewel, which still shone brightly. Its intense light wasn't painful to look at. Mia self-consciously placed a hand over it and the light dimmed. A pained expression crossed her features.
Anubis wrapped his hand around hers. "Does the Jewel still hurt you?"
"No... not really, anymore. It's just so strange; it sometimes seems as though there's another life in me with thoughts of its own." Anubis's smile deepened as he pulled her hand away from her chest.

"You do. The Jewel of Life is called thus for a reason. Such powerful magic must have a mind of its own, or else just anyone could take it and abuse its power. It chose you, just as it chose you when we first found it under the lake. And now it attempts to guide you; it is learning to hate what you hate and love what you love." He paused. "But you do not feel as though it is controlling you?"
"I don't know anymore," she replied with a sigh. Anubis kissed her on the forehead.

"It only takes time; just remember that all of us wish only the best for you and will always be here for you, no matter what the problem." He placed his hands on her shoulders and added with a laugh, "All of us ronins felt that way when we first learned of our powers. It can be overwhelming, but you won't be expected to save the world every day." Mia laughed wearily.

"It's already starting to feel as though I will." She hugged Anubis fiercely and then immediately walked away into the city before he could react. He stood looking after her in stunned silence, then smiled to himself and followed. Her strength and bravery put them all to shame.

*****

Ryo, feeling the earthquake and hearing Mia's cry, spun around and tried to run to them. He turned just in time to see the earth swallow up Mia and Anubis.
"NO!" After the duo fell through the hole, the ground closed up. Ryo ran over to the area and dug at the ground. The earth remained as sturdy and firm as if nothing had happened. "Mia! Anubis!" No answer. "White Blaze, go get the others; we've got problems here!" White Blaze growled his agreement and charged off into the foliage. Ryo thrust his sword into the ground and placed his hand on the dirt doing his best to reclaim calm and the patience to wait for his friends to arrive.
Within moments, Anglarana was there followed by Jyserriec. Her eyes immediately went to the spot in which Mia and Anubis had fallen. Jyserriec raised his eyebrows at her in some kind of unsaid `told you so.' She shook her head wearily and stood in the middle of the freshly turned dirt.
"Are you sure this is the best option?" he remarked while joining her.
"No choice; the time is rapidly approaching. She can't face this one on her own."
"What are you guys talking about?!" Ryo was getting really annoyed. Anglarana glanced at him, then exchanged a meaningful glance with Jyserriec. Jyserriec nodded in turn and raised a hand in Ryo's direction. He whispered a few words and a gray light began to swirl around Ryo. Ryo tried to escape it, but the light followed him and the effects overwhelmed him immediately. Once Ryo had lost consciousness, the duo concentrated their power. A silver green light surrounded them; Anglarana spared a sad glance at Ryo's still form. Jyserriec placed a hand on her shoulder.
"It's for the best. He's too innocent for this; you know what the effects of this knowledge could do to him." Anglarana nodded.

"Great spirit of Mother Earth, let us pass through your skin to assist the young ones within you. The time of awakening has come." Their light intensified and their forms became transparent. They slipped through the surface without disturbing a single leaf.

*****

The city lay before them, the decimated streets offered no hospitality. Death echoed in the walls of the buildings like a child's laughter. Anubis found his way through the winding streets as confidently as though he had lived there all his life. He stopped in the very center of the city, which was marked by a giant tree that was easily two hundred feet tall. There was a diameter of at least a hundred feet surrounding the tree composed of freshly turned dirt. Irises and ferns of all colors speckled the earth surrounding the tree. Stray beams of sunlight showered down on the tree; the top of the tree had broken through the ceiling of the cave to reach the nourishing sun. It was beyond Mia how such a glorious tree could have grown down here without the benefit of sunlight.
Seeing Mia's confusion, Anubis commented, "This is where the Tsorin are buried; their life force is what sustains such a tree." Mia nodded, awed by the towering beauty.

"Now what?" she remarked at a total loss on how to awaken them. Anglarana had never shared with them what she had planned to do once the site was found.
"Why, we wake my people, of course," came a musical voice behind them. Anubis and Mia turned to see Anglarana and Jyserriec languidly leaning against one of the buildings.

"But how... what...?" Anglarana held up a hand.

"I felt the power of the Jewel of Life. We followed its essence here."
"What must we do to awaken them?" Anubis asked. Anglarana turned to Jyserriec.

"First, you must undo your spell." Jyserriec remained motionless staring thoughtfully into her eyes. Mia edged closer to Anubis. What if this was a trap? What if he had been leading them on all along? He had all too readily joined Anglarana.
Anubis smiled softly at her.

"He will do us no harm; Anglarana cannot be deceived," he whispered.
'You know what will happen when you awaken them, don't you?' Jyserriec's mind spoke to her. Anglarana's eyes saddened as she nodded. 'It is not worth your life; let them help. The Jewel will protect you.' He persisted.
'No. I will live, but their minds will be scorched. No human can ever again be truly happy after linking spirits with the Tsorin. It is too painful for their frail mortal minds.'
'Ask them, or I will not take back my spell.' His tone became forceful and cross.
'Jyserriec! That is not fair of you!'
'I will not lose you to such a meaningless death. Ask.'
'Then I shall have to forever maintain that link which I forge,' she replied with a determined jut of her chin.
'That is foolish! You shall then forever be slave to her whim. You could jeopardize us all.'
'I cannot torture her spirit by making such a bond and breaking it! I either do this myself or the bond is eternal.' Jyserriec scowled.

'Then I shall lose you forever no matter what.'
'So now I am yours? You didn't seem to mind too much leaving me to go hide in that castle of yours to wallow in your own self-pity and bitterness.' Jyserriec took a step back. Those words were harsh; harsh but true. 'If the spell is successful, then the world will again be filled with Tsorin. I am not needed past this action.' Jyserriec remained silent, there was nothing he could say to talk her out of this. Anglarana strode away from him and marched up to the tree. She let the human form slip away from her donning her beautiful equine shape with her liquid silver mane and tail flowing about her. She dropped her head until the tip of her horn pierced the rich earth at the base of the tree. 'I'll do it without you if I have to,' she threatened, seeing that Jyserriec had not moved.
'You can't do it without me,' he retorted, but moved to her side. He paused; he couldn't return to his true shape; he was too sullied with negative emotions. He refused to bring shame to his people's name. A half-formed star shape appeared on his forehead.
"No need for such dramatics," a familiar, raspy voice commented.
Anglarana thrust her head up and looked back. Crynis stood grinning triumphantly; a limp Mia was flung over his shoulder and Anubis lay at his feet unconscious. Anglarana had been so caught up in their inner fight that she hadn't even noticed his presence. "Stupid mules," he murmured with a smug grin. Jyserriec flung out rays of gray light without missing a beat. Crynis dodged them then held out a chunk of gold. An orange aura surrounded the gold, then the ground about Jyserriec and Anglarana's feet rippled, becoming almost liquid in substance.
"Quicksand!" Jyserriec yelled, but it was too late. The ground had firmly pulled their feet in. Anglarana's horn glowed as she plunged it into the quicksand. Jyserriec continued to shoot at Crynis, but his uncertain footing made his aim less than accurate. By the time they were free of the trap, Crynis had flown away through one of the many tunnels. Anglarana galloped into the tunnel she had seen Crynis exit through.
"Come on!" she called back urgently. Jyserriec ran after her with an easy, flowing stride. What had he unleashed in his bitter anger? When he looked back, he realized that he had never really wanted the whole human species to die. He had just wanted them to suffer like he had, perhaps that was why he never fully acted on his threats. He clenched his hands into fists until his fingernails dug into his flesh. It would have been better for everyone if his beauteous betrayer had destroyed him.

________________________________________________________________ ________

Ah, 'tis the beginning of the end, and so much has been left unsaid. Crynis has Mia, meaning the end of humans is nigh. Can the Ronin Warriors reach her in time? Stay tuned and read chapter twelve to find out!
Lady Eclipse
"She hides so much light within the shadows of her eyes."