Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny's Warrior ❯ chapter twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura's stay with the Ronin warriors over the next few weeks improved greatly after Ryo's gesture. The Ronins were surprised when Sakura turned out to be a valuable asset to their team. She was able to show them a more direct route to her father's castle and give them information about the warlords that they didn't know before. But she was always mindful that it was not major information, but things that wouldn't destroy her father's dynasty if word got out. She hoped that by telling them things, they would think she was on their side. But the Ronins weren't the only ones who got something out of the deal. Sakura in turn, enjoyed the feeling of being part of a team, as a warlord it was mostly solo missions, and she also liked the companionship, especially Ryo's. The two got surprisingly close after he had thanked her. The Ronins slowly started to trust Sakura, once they realized that she wasn't going to kill them when their backs were turned. Sakura still checked in with her father, but the time between each meeting became longer and longer, and the meetings grew shorter and shorter. Truth be told there wasn't anything to report except their position. She had kept her eyes open and tried to find the secret to their seemingly invincibility; she spied, eavesdropped and searched, but she never noticed anything different and had slowly lost interest in the mission. Sakura even had a chance to meet Ancient once or twice. He always had a strange look that seemed to say that he had known that she would one day be a ronin. Sakura scoffed at his ignorance to what she was really doing, but she felt that he knew why she was really there and just chose to let her be. He seemed happy to have her on the Ronin side and made her feel welcome, but she always got home sick afterwards because he reminded her of Anubis. Ancient had also told her all about Talpa's plans to rule the world and Sakura started to doubt what she had been told her entire life. Kero and White Blaze had become good friends also and often watched each others backs. There was only one thing that bothered her. Her feelings for Ryo. They were going stronger every day and she was dreading the day that she would have to return home with the vital information that would bring about his downfall.

It was late one night after every one had gone to sleep, they no longer had a guard to watch her all night, and she sneaked off to meet Anubis. He had told her, by sending a message with Talon, to meet him there at night. She crept to the tree where he would meet her.

"Sakura." A voice whispered.

"Anubis?" Sakura asked looking around for him.

"Up here, in the tree." Anubis jumped down and landed silently beside her.

"Find out their secret yet?" Anubis asked.

Sakura hung her head, "No," she muttered. "I haven't been able to distinguish any prominent difference between them and us, except what we're fighting for."

"Talpa wants you to come back home." Anubis told her suddenly.

Sakura looked at him with surprise. "But…but why?" she stammered.

"Because you've been here for almost two months! He said that if you haven't found out anything by now, then you never will." Anubis answered.

"No," Sakura protested strongly, searching her mind for a reason to stay. "He can't make me go home now! I'm this close to finding out their secret. Just a few more days. I promise."

Anubis stared at her piercingly, realization dawning on him. "You don't want to go home, do you?" Anubis asked softly already knowing the answer.

Sakura hung her head, "No." she admitted.

"I had a feeling after I saw you save him that this would happen." Anubis said bitterly. "Your in love with that red Ronin Warrior, Ryo aren't you?"

"I'm not in love with him," Sakura quickly argued defensively as her face turned red, "And even if I was, that's not the reason I'm staying."

"Then please, inform me at to why you feel the need to betray your own father." Anubis asked accusingly.

"Because, I realize now that father has been lying to us this entire time. He's just using us to take over the world, once he's done with us, he'll strip us of our armors and cast us aside." Sakura explained.

Anubis shook his head slowly, "I never thought I would hear you say that. The armors are his." The disappointment in his voice made her cringe.

Sakura wildly shook her head, anxious to make Anubis believe her, "That may have been in the past, but the armors are ours now. And I've seen how cruel my father can be. I can't stand silently by and help him cause that kind of pain and aguish anymore. I'm sorry, but this is the right thing."

"Since when do you care about doing the right thing!" He snapped. Sakura hung her head ashamed. Anubis looked at her sadly, "then I guess that makes us enemies now." He said finally.

"No, you can join us Anubis, you have always been like a big brother to me, and I don't want to fight against you, or any of you." Sakura said, tears pricking the back of her eyes.

"I won't betray Lord Talpa just because his own daughter is willing to." Anubis said loyally, his back going rigid at the suggestion.

Sakura looked at him, her eyes full of sadness, "then we truly are at a parting of ways then. But…" She said quickly, hope in her voice. "Could I ask you to do one thing for me, as my brother"

Anubis looked at her his eyes softening. "Alright."

"Will you tell father that even though I've switching sides that I still love him, and tell the other warlords that I'm going to miss them to?" Sakura pleaded.

Anubis nodded his agreement, and slowly turned and vanished. Sakura stood there alone for a few minutes before turning and trudging back to the campsite, feeling as if her heart would break. She felt terrible, but she knew she was doing the right thing. If anyone noticed any change in Sakura's attitude they didn't say anything, and Sakura was grateful. For even though she was now truly on their side, she couldn't bring herself to tell them just yet what her original intentions had been. Fear at their reaction and disbelief that she really was trying to be good now sealed her mouth. Sakura spent the rest of the night sitting in tree singing to herself. It was what she always did when she felt upset. Ryo stood under the tree listening to her beautiful voice floating through the air.

"Sakura." He asked tentatively.

"How did you know where I was?" she asked look down at him from her lofty perch.

"I followed your voice," he said climbing the tree to be next to her. "I didn't know you could sing like that. It's beautiful"

"Thank you," she said quietly.

"You want to tell me what's bugging you?" he asked her.

Sakura looked at him and gave him a half hearted smile, "Thanks for you concern, but it really isn't anything to worry about." She answered.

"I'll be alright, I promise. I just need a little time to myself that's all."

Ryo smiled at her and jumped down from the tree, "You know you can always tell me anything. I'll be here for you if you need me." He said as he walked back to the campsite, listening to Sakura's voice as it floated through the air.